Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I bought a cheap power inverter plugs into your cig lighter at Walmart to charge my kids DVD players. Now I know there are a lot to consider. Meaning how clean the sine wave is and if it protects from over loading.

Should I trust something like this to charge my 2011 MBA?

Last edited:

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
There really isn't too much to consider here. If it is at least about 60 watts at ~120 volts, you will be fine. Your Air's power adapter make sure the Air gets what it needs.

Your inverter will be fine.

wrinkster22

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
I bought a cheap power inverter plugs into your cig lighter at Walmart to charge my kids DVD players. Now I know there are a lot to consider. Meaning how clean the sine wave is and if it protects from over loading.

Should I trust something like this to charge my 2011 MBA?
Be sure it has enough watts. I bought one that had 60 watts.. more then enough for the 45 watt charger. One day i was using it and smelt a burning smell. I read the fine print and said it can only provide more than 30 watts of electricity in ~5 minute intervals. Oops. I bought a 150 watt one later.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Personally, I'd only use a true sine-wave inverter. Modified sine wave are cheaper - however they can cause issues. Increased heat, reduced voltages, electronic noise.

Pony up a couple extra bucks for a sine wave, because they produce electricity identical to what comes out of the wall.

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
wasnt planning on using it just curious if it was a good idea took electonics classes and i know the damage a distorted sine wave can do when using amplifiers and so on

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.