PDA

View Full Version : How about this forum auto-correcting "iTouch" spelling?

iSayuSay
Nov 26, 2011, 11:49 PM
This maybe an old joke, topic, something or whatever.

But I wonder some people just don't really like when someone call an iPod Touch as an iTouch, and I think that's understandable. I, personally don't care too much about that beside it's just sound different and not as good. I'd make a reply on "iTouch vs iPod Touch (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=606881)" stickied thread, but it is locked.

So for that reason I made a thread about it. I just want to give a suggestion, why not this forum auto-correcting posts that contain some terms we don't like?
This forum can filter strong words, why not doing the same for some unpopular terms?

iTouch / iPT ---> iPod Touch
iP4 / iP4s ---> iPhone 4 / iPhone 4s
MBA ---> Macbook Air
MBP ---> Macbook Pro

That way everyone could be happy, right? Everyone can just type "iTouch" just for saving time/letters sake or whatever, but in the end it posted as "iPod Touch".. and no one should calling about it anymore, right?

miles01110
Nov 26, 2011, 11:52 PM
How about this forum auto-correcting "iTouch" spelling?

Because it's fine to refer to the iPod touch as an "iTouch", just like it's fine to refer to a Macbook Pro as a "MBP."

iSayuSay
Nov 27, 2011, 12:03 AM
Because it's fine to refer to the iPod touch as an "iTouch", just like it's fine to refer to a Macbook Pro as a "MBP."

Sure .. but it won't hurt either to just auto correcting iTouch as iPod Touch, right? Nobody get hurt anyway, and no more eyesore for reading that terms anymore. :D

Plus the poster won't even realize that his/her post don't even contain "iTouch" anymore.
I think it's a win-win solution.

miles01110
Nov 27, 2011, 12:05 AM
Sure .. but it won't hurt either to just auto correcting iTouch as iPod Touch, right? Nobody get hurt anyway, and no more eyesore for reading that terms anymore. :D

Plus the poster won't even realize that his/her post don't even contain "iTouch" anymore.
I think it's a win-win solution.

Your use of "eyesore" is subjective. Since you are making an argument based on how you feel about something, this idea is pointless. The argument that it should not be changed because "someone likes the word iTouch" is just as legitimate as yours.

iSayuSay
Nov 27, 2011, 12:15 AM
Your use of "eyesore" is subjective. Since you are making an argument based on how you feel about something, this idea is pointless. The argument that it should not be changed because "someone likes the word iTouch" is just as legitimate as yours.

Hmm I don't think even people who type iTouch, iPT, iP4s etc. really feel excited about it, they do it just to shorten things up, saving time or something. So I thought having those terms auto corrected for them is harmless.

And beside that, how come we see that "iTouch vs iPod Touch" thread (it even stickied) if no one have problem with it? I admit though, terms like MBP and MBA never get people feel annoyed.

Well it's just my opinion though, it's alright if you just don't like it, but as you said, it doesn't mean that everyone else dislike it too, there may be some people can agree with my idea too.

EDIT: Thank you for moving this thread to Site and Forum Feedback section. I hope this idea can be considered well.

APlotdevice
Nov 27, 2011, 07:53 AM
I think every time someone types "Mac" it should be replaced with "Macintosh".

Not really, but I hope you get my point.

iSayuSay
Nov 27, 2011, 08:18 AM
I think every time someone types "Mac" it should be replaced with "Macintosh".

Not really, but I hope you get my point.

I'm sorry .. but no .. I don't get your point. I don't ask all abbreviation to be auto-corrected, I obviously don't need replacement for etc --> et cetera, i.e --> id est and so on.

Your example is not good, for many years now Apple has been calling the Macintosh line as "Mac" you can even say Macintosh is no longer a popular term ... that makes "Mac" term to be official, and appropriate.

I don't want Macbook --> Macintosh book, that would be lame, you sure know that.
Now OTOH, have you ever seen Apple write iPod Touch as iTouch on any occasion? Or calling iPhone as iP4 or iP4s? No? :rolleyes:

Like I said, it's just simple auto-correction, no harms done, and I'm sure people don't write iTouch intentionally, it's just for comfort/laziness sake. And people even may be grateful for that simple nice auto-correction. Now that's up to admins/moderators here if they like this idea or not.

wordoflife
Nov 27, 2011, 10:24 AM
No, it's fine the way it is. If people want to say "iTouch", then let them say it. No harm in that, either.

mobilehaathi
Nov 27, 2011, 10:30 AM
Waste of effort...

chown33
Nov 27, 2011, 11:27 AM
MBA ---> Macbook Air

That one will be problematic. "John Smith has an MBA" could mean John has a Macbook Air, or it could mean he has a Master of Business Administration. Context is a funny thing (funny as in tricky, not funny ha-ha (tricky as in difficult to get right (yeah, context is a tricky thing))).

APlotdevice
Nov 27, 2011, 03:05 PM
I'm sorry .. but no .. I don't get your point. I don't ask all abbreviation to be auto-corrected, I obviously don't need replacement for etc --> et cetera, i.e --> id est and so on.

Your example is not good, for many years now Apple has been calling the Macintosh line as "Mac" you can even say Macintosh is no longer a popular term ... that makes "Mac" term to be official, and appropriate.

I don't want Macbook --> Macintosh book, that would be lame, you sure know that.
Now OTOH, have you ever seen Apple write iPod Touch as iTouch on any occasion? Or calling iPhone as iP4 or iP4s? No? :rolleyes:

Like I said, it's just simple auto-correction, no harms done, and I'm sure people don't write iTouch intentionally, it's just for comfort/laziness sake. And people even may be grateful for that simple nice auto-correction. Now that's up to admins/moderators here if they like this idea or not.
For years Apple has called them Macs, but for years before that Mac was simply a casual shortening of Macintosh. Much like iTouch is to iPod touch. If we follow your logic we might still be calling them Macintosh.

Comeagain?
Nov 27, 2011, 11:04 PM
Context, like mentioned above would cause issues.

I could have issues with my one iPhone 4, or both of my iPhone 4s, and a bot wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

And, is autocorrecting something that everyone knows about and that doesn't really care about really something that they should use the site resources for?

maflynn
Nov 28, 2011, 06:28 AM
I personally think its fine, who cares if people call them iTouch or iPod Touch. As shown by this thread we could carry the auto-correct to extreme lengths changing Macs to Macintosh, MBA to MacBook Airs etc.

Doctor Q
Nov 28, 2011, 02:09 PM
In theory the forum software could be taught to automatically change "iTouch" to "iPod touch". (Note that it's a lowercase 't'.) However, there would be a few downsides:
Automatic string replacement could lead to false positives. If Nintendo came out with a WiiTouch it would get changed to "WiiPod touch".

People who write "iTouch" would probably search for the same word when looking for their own posts but be unable to find them.

People who want to discuss the common (mis-)usage of the name "iTouch", such as those posting in this thread, would not be able to use the word!

It would set a precedent for fixing people's spelling errors or curbing use of slang, which is far more intrusive and controlling than we've wanted to be.

interrobang
Nov 28, 2011, 02:39 PM
It would make searching easier/more effective.

Well, not that anyone searches, anyway.

Bernard SG
Nov 29, 2011, 02:14 AM
MBA ---> Macbook Air

This one could be confusing.

carboncocoa
Dec 1, 2011, 12:57 AM
Personally, I'm okay with initialisms like MBA and MBP.
Mac (and not MAC) is used by Apple everywhere. Since the iMac, it's become more so the official name of their computers than Macintosh.

“iTouch” is not the name of anything that Apple makes.

NutsNGum
Dec 2, 2011, 11:32 AM
I don't know if the iPod Touch is a big enough deal to dedicate an entire algorithm to. Macrumorsly speaking.

Digital Skunk
Feb 15, 2012, 04:09 PM
Personally, I'm okay with initialisms like MBA and MBP.
Mac (and not MAC) is used by Apple everywhere. Since the iMac, it's become more so the official name of their computers than Macintosh.

“iTouch” is not the name of anything that Apple makes.

I agree!

But since no one seems to worry about it I'll just start shortening everything in that psycho way . . . . by taking the Pod or Pad or Phone out and leaving the "i."

e.g. iShuffle, iClassic, i4s, i2 etc.