PDA

View Full Version : GigaWire=Rendezvous

MacAztec
Oct 14, 2002, 12:04 AM
I think that GigaWire is Rendezvous. Check out what GigaWire does, and Rendezvous does the same stuff.

Chaszmyr
Oct 14, 2002, 12:42 AM
Gigawire is supposed to be a Firewire 2, which Rendezvous is very much something different. It is reasonable to assume that "Gigawire" actually Firewire 2 because A: We know a firewire 2 is coming (Firewire is behind USB2 right now, and we cant be having that), and B: the fact that they share "wire" in their name.

Furthermore, If Gigawire were Rendezvous we would have heard by now, probably.

dricci
Oct 14, 2002, 01:08 AM
I'm pretty sure GigaWire isn't FireWire 2 OR Rendezvous...

GeeYouEye
Oct 14, 2002, 02:02 AM
Anyone care to provide a link for those of us too tired to search because it's 12:00 AM?

peterjhill
Oct 14, 2002, 06:28 AM
Gigawire = physical medium to connect devices together
Rendezvous = software used to request services on a network without configuration (ie. Who here is running iChat, Who here is sharing their iTunes library?)

Gigawire != Rendezvous

Acke
Oct 14, 2002, 09:01 AM
Apple has worked hard to estab the Firewire name for years and now they throw that away and cyhange that to Gigawire. NOT!

FattyMembrane
Oct 14, 2002, 10:33 PM
i read about a day or two ago that somebody had already made an announcement about having gigawire external hard drives available soon (i'm tired and too lazy to spend an hour searching for who it was). but rendevouz has nothing to do with hardware (other than providing a medium of exchange between networked devices).