Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NYguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
NYC, New York
Im undecided about upgrading my ipod headphones. Anyone know anything about the Shure E5? I will be using my ipod in the gym and jogging in the park. Any help appreciated, thanks.

rockthecasbah

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Moorestown, NJ
Sony Fontopias

I bought the Sony Fontopia "in-ear" buds. I adore them. Wonderful sound and price especially in comparison to the competition. I'd reccommend reading my review on Epinions here .

Jun 24, 2004
i got my self a pair of sony in-ear buds, they have better bass and quality then the apple crap.

but in-ear stuff really is not safe on the roads, i dont like the fact i that i can hardly hear a thing around me with these things on.

if you have the money buy the B&O A8

jonat8

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2004
United Kingdom
I used the Sony EX-71's for about a year and they were a HUGE step up from stock buds.

Eventually I succumbed and bought a set of E3Cs. Initially I was disappointed after listening to the EX71s but once I grew accustomed to them I realised the E3Cs were actually very enjoyable.

Unfortunately something is wrong with the right channel and sound is not coming out evenly and so I have to send them in for service. Until then, I'm using some Sennheiser PX100s which actually sound very good for their modest asking price (£30). They sound very warm, which I actually like.

rowanhall

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
the sennheiser mx500 inears are good, not too dear or flash looking but have great sound and nice bass responce. take a couple days to burn in, but afterwards the sound is quite warm. a worthy upgrade. they aren't white either so theres less chance of getting podjacked! haha!

NYguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
NYC, New York
rowanhall said:
the sennheiser mx500 inears are good, not too dear or flash looking but have great sound and nice bass responce. take a couple days to burn in, but afterwards the sound is quite warm. a worthy upgrade. they aren't white either so theres less chance of getting podjacked! haha!

ROFL @ podjacked. I hear about that on the news but cant picture someone actually being robbed for an IPOD. Well Im pretty muscular weighing in @ 205 5 11. Trying to get me for an ipod isnt really worth the risk of a beatdown. :)

So the shure e3's are good? I actually have some bose quiet comfort headphones. I havent tried them on the ipod since I just got it, and Im too busy to upload songs.

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
I have the B&O A8's. The sound quality is amazing and they are extremely comfortable, I can't tell I have them on. They are also incredibly stylish, a perfect match for an iPod. ;)

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
I needed a pair of headphones for jogging so i got the Sony MDR J10's. They're are very comfortable, stable and have great sound. Sure they don't match the colour scheme of my shuffle but they really do the job

Attachments

• MDRJ10BLUE.jpg
    MDRJ10BLUE.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 248

NYguy

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2005
NYC, New York
Angelus said:
I needed a pair of headphones for jogging so i got the Sony MDR J10's. They're are very comfortable, stable and have great sound. Sure they don't match the colour scheme of my shuffle but they really do the job

When jogging do you find that the earphones jump out of your ear? Is that the reason why you got the over the ear extentions.

Angelus

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2002
New Zealand
Yeah the standard ipod buds just sit in your ears and can kinda fall out, plus they hurt my ears after wearing them for a while. The sony headphones on the other hand have a vertical in ear format which doesn't hurt my ears. Also with the over the ear style i know the headphones are gonna stay in place, one less thing to worry bout.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.