PDA

View Full Version : 1st Gen iPod Replacement - Why so long?

covertsurfer
Nov 30, 2011, 04:38 AM
I have sent my iPod Nano in and its in the status of Product replacement pending.

What I don't get is why the 6 week wait?

Is this to give them time to start producing new casings?
If they are returning refurbished ones, are they taking them all apart and them polishing them up to be all shiny again?

Fuchal
Nov 30, 2011, 01:00 PM
I have sent my iPod Nano in and its in the status of Product replacement pending.

Is this to give them time to start producing new casings?
If they are returning refurbished ones, are they taking them all apart and them polishing them up to be all shiny again?

I'd assume they have a small stockpile of pre-refurbished nanos but for the most part, they will take the nanos people send in, swap the battery, front and backs, and send them back out.

covertsurfer
Nov 30, 2011, 01:42 PM
But where are they getting the front and backs from?

Are they making new ones which is why it takes 6 weeks or is it simply they have the front and backs already but the sheer volume is why its taking so long?

ilovemyibook
Nov 30, 2011, 02:47 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

But where are they getting the front and backs from?

Are they making new ones which is why it takes 6 weeks or is it simply they have the front and backs already but the sheer volume is why its taking so long?

It's probably a combination of both. I don't think people can comprehend how difficult this is for Apple. I don't think it will take 6 weeks though.

sclawis300
Dec 1, 2011, 08:56 AM
ha ha, I kind of want to reply with something like, "why is the sky blue?" They are giving us free replacements and they stated it would take 6 weeks from the time they receive the defective nano. That means I will have mine by the 29th of December. Just be patient.

grufh
Dec 4, 2011, 12:32 AM
Hi
I requested a replacement Nano and my email response from Apple said
"You will receive the return instructions for the original and shipping materials for you to use. Please don't use any other package, because if the original is damaged in shipping as a result of improper packaging"

I've yet to receive this. It's been 18 days. What's up with that?
Anyone else still waiting?

CasketBlack
Dec 4, 2011, 02:56 PM
Hi
I requested a replacement Nano and my email response from Apple said
"You will receive the return instructions for the original and shipping materials for you to use. Please don't use any other package, because if the original is damaged in shipping as a result of improper packaging"

I've yet to receive this. It's been 18 days. What's up with that?
Anyone else still waiting?

I'm still waiting... since Nov.14 :apple:

bluey08
Dec 4, 2011, 03:02 PM
I'm still waiting... since Nov.14 :apple:

I'm also still waiting since Nov 13. Have you tried calling apple?

wordoflife
Dec 4, 2011, 05:39 PM
I'm still waiting since 12 November. Not going to call them since they did mention that it could take up to 6 weeks.

GeniusJon
Dec 4, 2011, 07:01 PM
I'm still waiting since 12 November. Not going to call them since they did mention that it could take up to 6 weeks.

Apple ran out of boxes. They are sending out padded envelopes for some countries.

wordoflife
Dec 4, 2011, 07:43 PM
Apple ran out of boxes. They are sending out padded envelopes for some countries.

I've already sent mine it. It says "pending product replacement"

AndrewR23
Dec 5, 2011, 11:59 PM
been waiting since nov 12. not even a box to send my phone in.

Called Apple. They said it will take up to 90 business days for my box to come.

4 different Apple reps said that.

loby
Dec 6, 2011, 10:29 AM
Sent mine in when I received the box. Checked status and it said, "Pending". I hope they are actually sending back my original with new sidings if we are not getting new ones.

I took care of mine and would not want someone else's who might have bang their's around. Though they will run diagnostics, this is why it has a 90 day afterwards I presume. Maybe they are refurbishing the actual one that we sent in and will send what we sent in back.

This might be why it is taking so long...

CasketBlack
Dec 6, 2011, 05:03 PM
I'm also still waiting since Nov 13. Have you tried calling apple?

No I haven't called Apple, I figure it will get here sooner or later.

tardman91
Dec 7, 2011, 08:57 AM
Glad to see I'm not the only one waiting for my box. I signed up for the program through the site about 3 weeks ago.

ejb190
Dec 7, 2011, 04:00 PM
I submitted a request the day the announcement came out. I got the box today.

Spinnetti
Dec 10, 2011, 02:59 PM
Mines been a long time too, but you know what? So what. Heck, I'd prefer their actual cost to do all that back, a credit to the Apple store/itunes or whatever. With the advent of the iPhone etc, the pod, and especially the old nano doesn't have much meaning. Wouldn't mind a new one if I got it cheap to use as a cool watch :)

syxthelement
Dec 10, 2011, 05:38 PM
It took them 3.5 weeks after my initial request to ship my replacement box :mad:

zackkmac
Dec 10, 2011, 09:38 PM
This thread reminded me I also submitted a request on announcement day. :o

I just checked the status of mine and it says the empty box was shipped yesterday.

Resist
Dec 15, 2011, 08:43 PM
It took them 3.5 weeks after my initial request to ship my replacement box :mad:Been that long for me and I still don't have the shipping materials.

grufh
Dec 19, 2011, 04:11 PM
It took 31 days to receive my box from Apple via UPS. It just got picked up today from FedEx. Wonder how long before I get the replacement? Stay tuned.:)

KevinC867
Dec 27, 2011, 09:44 PM
It took 31 days to receive my box from Apple via UPS. It just got picked up today from FedEx. Wonder how long before I get the replacement? Stay tuned.:)

It's been over six weeks and they have still not mailed me a box. I'm still stuck at "Step 1 | Request / November 12, 2011: Service requested"

Any one else waiting this long for the box?

quagmire
Dec 27, 2011, 09:59 PM
It's been over six weeks and they have still not mailed me a box. I'm still stuck at "Step 1 | Request / November 12, 2011: Service requested"

Dang I submitted my request on Saturday, and mine already says shipped empty box. I would call Apple....

I expect the process to move quicker now that they decided to ship 6th gens as replacements.

covertsurfer
Dec 28, 2011, 05:14 AM
I've been waiting exactly 6 weeks and a iPod Nano 6th Gen has turned up with 90 days warranty.

I'm in the UK

pheebz90
Dec 28, 2011, 05:21 AM
I've been waiting exactly 6 weeks and a iPod Nano 6th Gen has turned up with 90 days warranty.

I'm in the UK

I've been waiting about five. Hopefully I get mine soon. I have really missed my iPod. In UK too.

covertsurfer
Dec 28, 2011, 05:34 AM
Yup they seem pretty cool although I think I'm going to sell it.

quagmire
Dec 28, 2011, 05:38 PM
I got my envelope today and shipped it right back. I hope to have my replacement by the 9th since I head back to college.

ilovemyibook
Dec 28, 2011, 07:10 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I got mine today, but haven't even got the chance to see it yet. One more hour!

ichii
Dec 29, 2011, 04:13 AM

Did you get your return box yet? I requested mines on Nov 14 and got my box last week, then sent it away the following day. My status is still at step 1 service requested. I wonder why apple doesn't update my status :confused:
Status update iPod received dec 29, pending replacement.

quagmire
Jan 3, 2012, 12:56 PM
For those on the East Coast, how long did it take your Nano to get to Elk Grove, CA once you shipped it back?

bquerry
Jan 3, 2012, 02:07 PM

I have the same status as you except my date is November 13. I just off the phone with Apple (1-800-MYAPPLE and keep saying "customer service"). The rep said they are still waiting for boxes to send to us and to wait another couple of weeks.

machpost
Jan 3, 2012, 03:55 PM
For those on the East Coast, how long did it take your Nano to get to Elk Grove, CA once you shipped it back?

I dropped mine off at the UPS Store on Wednesday, 12/28, and it's supposed to arrive on Thursday, 1/5. I'm guessing it would've gotten there a little faster if it weren't a holiday weekend.

Hopefully the replacement will get here soon.

quagmire
Jan 3, 2012, 04:03 PM
I dropped mine off at the UPS Store on Wednesday, 12/28, and it's supposed to arrive on Thursday, 1/5. I'm guessing it would've gotten there a little faster if it weren't a holiday weekend.

Mine came and went by FedEx( on the 28th too) and didn't see a tracking number on the label so I couldn't track it. :(

nicolejanine
Jan 6, 2012, 03:02 AM
I requested for a box on November 20th, box didn't arrive until December 22nd. UPS picked up the box from my house on December 23rd.

My friend gave me his old one, so I requested for another box on December 23rd. I received the box on December 28th. UPS picked it up the box (padded sleeve, really) from my house on December 29th. According to UPS, it arrived at the plant on December 30th.

The status on both is still in Step 1 | Request. I'd be a little more lenient on the 2nd iPod, but I waited for a month just for the box to come, I don't want to wait for another month for the iPod to arrive!

grufh
Jan 10, 2012, 04:54 AM

Apple received my ipod on January 4th and is in the process

Step 1 Request
January 4, 2012: Product received
Step 2 Service
January 4, 2012: Issue identified
Step 3 Return
January 4, 2012: Product replacement pending

Just waiting for a shipping date.
Looks like the entire process is going to take about 2 months total.

tlbwriter
Jan 10, 2012, 09:32 AM
I handed mine over to UPS on Dec 26, though they said that was actually a holiday and it wouldn't be shipped until Dec 27. According to the Apple website, it was received Jan 6. The next two steps also happened on Jan 6. Now I'm in "product replacement pending" stage. I wonder how long it will take?

grufh
Jan 12, 2012, 04:25 AM
Apple received my ipod on January 4th and is in the process

Step 1 Request
January 4, 2012: Product received
Step 2 Service
January 4, 2012: Issue identified
Step 3 Return

Just waiting for a shipping date.
Looks like the entire process is going to take about 2 months total.

Just got an email from Apple saying my iPod Nano shipped today via UPS. I should receive it in a couple of days. So in summary, it took just under 60 days for the entire replacement to happen.

grufh
Jan 12, 2012, 02:16 PM
Just got an email from Apple saying my iPod Nano shipped today via UPS. I should receive it in a couple of days. So in summary, it took just under 60 days for the entire replacement to happen.

GOT MY iPod today!!!
They upgraded me to the newest Nano as well. What a surprise that was. I was expecting to get a 1st generation version.:):)

aarond12
Jan 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
GOT MY iPod today!!!
They upgraded me to the newest Nano as well. What a surprise that was. I was expecting to get a 1st generation version.:):)
Very nice. Both my wife's 4GB and my 2GB nanos were replaced with 8GB 6th-gen nanos. I'm very happy! I'll bet you are too!

iphonenub
Jan 13, 2012, 12:41 PM
According to FedEx apple now has my iPod. That took 1 week. How much longer? I don't see this taking 6 weeks

Votekinky06
Jan 13, 2012, 06:15 PM
I submitted my request for a box three days ago, and I'm kind of hoping that that gave them time to get some refurbed first gen Nano's. My wife really liked the first gen.

TOYSTER17
Jan 14, 2012, 01:39 PM
I requested a replacement on Jan 8. Received the box on the 11th, sent it back the same day, they received it on Jan 13, and now it's at 'product replacement pending.'

It's been a quick process for me so far, I'm hoping for the same till the end.

machpost
Jan 17, 2012, 07:12 AM

My Nano was received by Apple, but is stuck at this step now:

Step 3 Return
January 7, 2012: Product replacement pending

SAFC2403
Jan 17, 2012, 07:35 AM

Step 3 Return

Thats nothing mines been with apple since december 21 and it's still product replacement pending??

Frosticus
Jan 17, 2012, 08:25 AM
Thats nothing mines been with apple since december 21 and it's still product replacement pending??

Give it 6 weeks - there's a large backlog, especially for international customers.

machpost
Jan 17, 2012, 11:43 AM

Step 3 Return

Update: My replacement Nano was shipped today via FedEx 2-day service :)

Thajtodad
Jan 17, 2012, 02:07 PM
Mine just went into status that says "replacement product shipped" is there any way to check the serial number, or get a tracking number?

Wow, as I posted this I got the email!!!

tlbwriter
Jan 18, 2012, 07:41 AM
I sent mine to Apple on December 27, and my sister (in the same town) sent hers on the 28th. She received her replacement yesterday. I'm still in "replacement pending" status. There is no rhyme or reason, apparently. :rolleyes:

iphonenub
Jan 21, 2012, 07:01 PM
Been in product replacement pending for a little over a week. Hopefully they will ship a replacement soon.

psg2000
Jan 25, 2012, 06:41 PM
Service Requested:
December 8, 2011

nearly two months:eek:

archre
Jan 26, 2012, 06:44 AM
Service Requested:
December 8, 2011

nearly two months:eek:

check your math.. something seems broken ;-)

Mine was sent today. I signed up for the replacement on December 20, so it took 5 weeks all in all.

wskikevin
Jan 27, 2012, 09:10 AM
Here my current timeline on a white 2gb Nano

Service Requested:
January 3, 2012

Recieved box and shipped back to apple
January 6, 2012

Apple Recieved my iPod
January 12, 2012

Step 1 Request
January 13, 2012: Product received

Step 2 Service
January 13, 2012: Issue identified

Step 3 Return
January 13, 2012: Product replacement pending

firemedicmark
Jan 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
took awhile but i got mine in this week..silver nano yeah!!!

Mr. Amiga500
Jan 28, 2012, 03:58 PM

That's nothing. I requested replacement on Nov. 21. It's Jan. 28 and still in "Product replacement pending"!

justhisonce
Jan 28, 2012, 04:09 PM
For what it's worth, here a run-down of my replacement experience of my 1gb nano here in the UK:

Service Requested: 22 Nov
Envelope received: 2 Dec
Envelope despatched back to Apple: 5 Dec
Product received at Apple: 17 Dec
Issued identified: 17 Dec
Product replacement pending 17 Dec
Replacement shipped: 26 Jan
Replacement received: 27 Jan

I received the current 8gb Nano in silver...it was almost 6 weeks to the day between them stating the receipt of the old nano (17 Dec) to the despatch of the new (26 Jan)...checked that repair status page a lot of times!!

TuiSong
Jan 29, 2012, 01:42 PM
ouch, so I could be yet another six weeks away from a replacement still?

My timeline is

12th Nov: service requested
22nd Dec: shipping box received
22nd Dec: iPod shipped out again
28th Jan: product received
28th Jan: Service Completed
28th Jan: Product replacement pending

It's been a frustrating slow grind, looks like it'll be 3 months by the time I get the new one, hubby has been without music in the car for that long now

Larouche
Jan 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
HI,
here's where I'm at:

November 26, 2011: Service Requested
December 23, 2011: Received box
December 29, 2011: Shipped box
January 14, 2012: Product received
January 15, 2012: Issue identified
January 15, 2012: Product replacement pending

I'm in Montreal.

It starting to take a lot of time I must say ;)
It's not my main iPod so that's not that big of a deal, but still...

satirev
Jan 30, 2012, 04:36 PM
It looks like it takes about two weeks for apple to receive the ipod after it is sent to them? does that sound about right?

I'm on a week now and my status hasn't changed.

Is there a way to track the package on the way to apple? Was there a tracking number on the prepaid label that I missed??

Larouche
Jan 30, 2012, 07:30 PM
It looks like it takes about two weeks for apple to receive the ipod after it is sent to them? does that sound about right?

Is there a way to track the package on the way to apple? Was there a tracking number on the prepaid label that I missed??

Yes there is. Check your repair status page on the Apple website. I had a tracking number for step 1.

satirev
Jan 30, 2012, 08:17 PM
hmmm I dont see a tracking number, here is a screenshot of what i see

http://i.imgur.com/9VcsD.png

any ideas?

satirev
Jan 30, 2012, 11:16 PM
Yes there is. Check your repair status page on the Apple website. I had a tracking number for step 1.

If you could let me know where you see the tracking number i would appreciate it. thanks.

Larouche
Jan 31, 2012, 07:21 AM
If you could let me know where you see the tracking number i would appreciate it. thanks.

I don't know, I had one. I guess I can't help you more. Sorry... :(

Votekinky06
Jan 31, 2012, 07:55 AM

Mine took 3 weeks from the day it left my home in Houston to show up as "received". Status changed to received yesterday and when I checked this morning it said product replacement pending.

g0odfr1end102
Jan 31, 2012, 03:36 PM
Sent mine in on November 21st... Still waiting for it. I'm in France :(

TuiSong
Feb 1, 2012, 05:08 AM

Mine took five weeks to get there, but it was sent the week before christmas so probably lost two weeks sitting around cos christmas and new years would have lagged all the mail behind. For me the stressful thing was not knowing if it was just slow mail, or if it had got lost somewhere in transit. I'm ok with things being slow, but I didn't have a tracking number so I couldn't follow where my parcel was, I just had to have it on good faith that apple would receive it

wskikevin
Feb 1, 2012, 10:08 AM

Not sure what service you had for sending it back. Mine was FedEx and yes it was on the return label. You should have copied down the numbers or gotten a reciept when you dropped it off. Otherwise you will just have to check your screen to see if they got it and when.

jwdawso
Feb 4, 2012, 06:06 PM
Here my current timeline on a white 2gb Nano

Service Requested:
January 3, 2012

Recieved box and shipped back to apple
January 6, 2012

Apple Recieved my iPod
January 12, 2012

Step 1 Request
January 13, 2012: Product received

Step 2 Service
January 13, 2012: Issue identified

Step 3 Return
January 13, 2012: Product replacement pending

Mine is very similar, except January 10 for product replacement pending. So over 3 weeks in that stage. I've been looking at the watch straps in anticipation! :)

chas0001
Feb 4, 2012, 06:10 PM
Sent mine in on November 21st... Still waiting for it. I'm in France :(

Wow that is a long time to wait. I sent mine off just before christmas and received a 'New' Nano on the 15th Jan.

You should give Apple a call!

g0odfr1end102
Feb 5, 2012, 04:42 PM
Wow that is a long time to wait. I sent mine off just before christmas and received a 'New' Nano on the 15th Jan.

You should give Apple a call!

I already did, twice! None of the guys I got on the phone were able to help me... They just kept repeating over and over it could take six weeks... I appreciate what Apple is doing for us, the only thing that bothers me is their lack of assistance...
Anyways, thanks for the feedback :)

quagmire
Feb 5, 2012, 05:20 PM
Still on, " Product Replacement Pending" since January 10th. I want my watch Apple!!!!

beinem
Feb 5, 2012, 06:48 PM
Registered for replacement on 23rd November 2011.

I was patiently waiting, as I saw there were issues with boxes etc.

Just had email notification that my Repair was Cancelled :(

ssyne
Feb 6, 2012, 08:43 AM
Hi,
Anybody know the customer service phone number for the replacement issue?
I am still waiting for mine ( status is still pending) it is almost 6 weeks and I want to talk to someone.
thanks

g0odfr1end102
Feb 7, 2012, 12:52 PM
Registered for replacement on 23rd November 2011.

I was patiently waiting, as I saw there were issues with boxes etc.

Just had email notification that my Repair was Cancelled :(

Yeah, one of my friends got that email as well, I guess their replacement service is over.. Sorry :(

TitanBrett
Feb 7, 2012, 03:02 PM
I have been in "pending product replacement" stage since Jan 10

beinem
Feb 7, 2012, 04:50 PM
Yeah, one of my friends got that email as well, I guess their replacement service is over.. Sorry :(

I called the number included in the email (I'm in AUS) and spoke to someone after a couple of minutes.
I was told she had to check on my reference number and the reason it was cancelled, so I was put on hold .... for over an hour, before I hung up.

Rang back, spoke to someone again after a couple of minutes. The second person after hearing my previous experience checked back with me every couple of minutes ... In the end it was a system issue and I was told to re-register for the replacement.

I re-registered last night ... finger crossed.

Vixus
Feb 7, 2012, 06:59 PM
My iPod was received on Dec 1st. It's been stuck in "Diagnosing Product" since then (Dec 1st). It's Feb 7, so I think they screwed up....

psg2000
Feb 8, 2012, 04:59 AM
Still pending for me. Two months here in UK

EvanLugh
Feb 9, 2012, 05:38 AM
I've finally given up and asked them to call me later. Sent it end of November, still on "empy box shipped". I wouldn't mind the wait if they acknowledged they received it

notdecraw
Feb 9, 2012, 12:18 PM
I have been in "pending product replacement" stage since Jan 10

It took from late November until the first week of January (call it five weeks) to get the shipping envelope to me. My status went to "Pending product replacement" on 1/14 and I received my shipment notification last night (after just under four weeks). 6Gen, according to the new serial number. It should be here tomorrow but it does require a delivery signature.

TOYSTER17
Feb 9, 2012, 01:04 PM
They received my ipod on Jan 14, got a shipping notification that it was shipped yesterday on the 8th. It took about a month for the whole process, from when I requested a return box to them shipping me a replacement iPod.

mrw00tastic
Feb 9, 2012, 01:20 PM
Interesting...You both sent yours about the same time I sent mine. Hopefully that a a good sign that my replacement will ship soon. Here's to hoping!:rolleyes:

Edit*

And as of 5 mins ago I have received my email confirming my new 6th gen nano will be here Monday!

Larouche
Feb 9, 2012, 02:24 PM
They also received mine on January 14. Still Product Replacement pending...
I'm in Canada. Where are you from guys?

MickeyLynn
Feb 9, 2012, 02:29 PM
Mine has also been in "replacement pending" since the 14th of Jan. No ship for me! Wah! :(
How do I rate? :confused:

Here's hoping it happens soon, I'm getting so antsy!

hardcoreericxxx
Feb 9, 2012, 03:48 PM
Ah man. Now people are starting to say that they are getting their iPods that were recieved after mine. They got mine on Jan. 13, still stuck on "product replacement pending". I hope it hasn't fallen into the same black hole some others' have fallen into.

notdecraw
Feb 9, 2012, 06:50 PM

Los Angeles, just a few hours down the road from the fulfillment center.

TOYSTER17
Feb 9, 2012, 06:52 PM

Los Angeles, just a few hours down the road from the fulfillment center.

Same here, Los Angeles.

Spectrum Abuser
Feb 9, 2012, 08:41 PM
I sen't my iPod in on the 7th of January and Apple reported that it arrived at the center on the 14th. Today I received an eMail at around 2am saying that the 'replacement' iPod had been shipped out and I should expect it within two business days.

jwdawso
Feb 9, 2012, 08:45 PM
I sen't my iPod in on the 7th of January and Apple reported that it arrived at the center on the 14th. Today I received an eMail at around 2am saying that the 'replacement' iPod had been shipped out and I should expect it within two business days.

Great!

I'm still waiting since Apple received my January 10. Should be any day now!

esploded
Feb 11, 2012, 12:17 AM
A bit off topic- should I even send my nano in? It was my first ipod, and I wouldn't use the 6G anyways, because I have an iPhone. Would it ever be a collector's item?

wskikevin
Feb 13, 2012, 01:45 PM
A bit off topic- should I even send my nano in? It was my first ipod, and I wouldn't use the 6G anyways, because I have an iPhone. Would it ever be a collector's item?

I could see it becoming a collectors item. However, isn't the recall a safty concern for overheating? Not sure how bad the overheating could get...

grazingbuffalo
Feb 14, 2012, 11:51 PM
Just received my replacements. Apparently we get the ipod nano multi-touch now, took about 2 months for the replacement to be sent since I shipped it to them. For those who received theirs already, I have a question. Is there anyway to keep the ipod playing music instead of just turning off after 1 minute if you don't touch it? Like, I use to run w/ my ipod but I can't do it with this if I have to keep pressing something every minute or 2.

seong
Feb 15, 2012, 01:27 AM
I got mine too! Apparently, mine wasc1631th one (it said on the back) out of the 3000 available (it read 1631/3000).

mrw00tastic
Feb 15, 2012, 08:40 AM
So after receiving mine this week it is going to the Apple Store today...Seems the radio feature doesn't work on mine. I have done all the usual things one would do to an apple product in this case, even made sure the headphones were connected nice and snug (since they act as the antenna), but to no avail. So hopefully they will help me out.

I'll report back, but just a heads up to everyone to double check every feature, because you only have 90 days.;)

soy
Feb 15, 2012, 08:40 AM
Is there anyway to keep the ipod playing music instead of just turning off after 1 minute if you don't touch it? Like, I use to run w/ my ipod but I can't do it with this if I have to keep pressing something every minute or 2.

The sleeping every minute or so is because it doesn't see that your headphones are plugged in all the way. Can you push them in any further?

satirev
Feb 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
I got mine too! Apparently, mine wasc1631th one (it said on the back) out of the 3000 available (it read 1631/3000).

I dont think that's what that number means...apple has definitely sent out far more than 3000 replacements already. probably closer to 150,000 at least.

seong
Feb 15, 2012, 10:28 PM
I dont think that's what that number means...apple has definitely sent out far more than 3000 replacements already. probably closer to 150,000 at least.

Well, yea, that's what I thought. Maybe Apple sends out 3000 at a time.

grazingbuffalo
Feb 16, 2012, 01:22 AM
The sleeping every minute or so is because it doesn't see that your headphones are plugged in all the way. Can you push them in any further?

If that's the case my ipod must be defective? B/c my headphones are definitely plugged in, can't push them in anymore. :o

soy
Feb 16, 2012, 04:44 AM
You can test whether it sees the headphones by going to the FM radio, as this only works when it sees headphones plugged in (as it uses the wires as the antenna).

If you're anywhere near an Apple Store, I'd try taking it to the Genius Bar.

nickn
Feb 16, 2012, 04:23 PM
I called apple today, and the helpful representative said that apple has been receiving over 1000 nanos a day for replacement. Apparently, the repair centers will be getting a large shipment of replacement iPods next week, and many people that have been waiting for over six weeks will be getting one sent out at that time. I also asked about why some people are waiting longer then others to get their nano sent back. For some reason, all of the iPod repairs are getting queued by serial number, so iPods that start with numbers, or at the beginning of the alphabet, were getting swapped first.

co22
Feb 17, 2012, 02:42 PM
I called apple today, and the helpful representative said that apple has been receiving over 1000 nanos a day for replacement. Apparently, the repair centers will be getting a large shipment of replacement iPods next week, and many people that have been waiting for over six weeks will be getting one sent out at that time. I also asked about why some people are waiting longer then others to get their nano sent back. For some reason, all of the iPod repairs are getting queued by serial number, so iPods that start with numbers, or at the beginning of the alphabet, were getting swapped first.

After waiting six weeks for my replacement, I finally called Apple yesterday, and the very friendly customer service person I spoke to told me the following:

1. Apple has received upwards of 118,000 1st generation iPod nano as part of the recall.
2. Apple had only ordered 11,000 replacement iPods order based on their estimate that approximately 10,000 units would be sent in for replacement under the recall.
3. They're producing the replacements as quickly as they can, but it will take until at least June if not later for them to catch up with the backlog of "Product Replacements Pending".
4. There's no way of finding out where anyone's place in line is, but the replacement nanos are being shipped out in the order they received the iPods that we sent in.
5. The replacement iPods will ALL be "new" 8GB 6th generation nanos but only come with a 90-day warranty.

Now I'm not sure what to believe, but if what she told me is true then there may be many weeks or months of additional waiting time (I send my original nano to Apple in December and Apple acknowledges receiving it on January 6th) before my replacement iPod nano arrives.

I did repeatedly make the point that Apple's ongoing lack of communications about the delays in sending the replacements was completely unacceptable, but while she apologized for the lack of notification regarding the delay, I got not assurance of more or better communications in the future. My guess is that Apple is afraid of the huge amounts of negative publicity they'd get if word spreads to 100,000+ customers that they may not receive their replacement nanos for another 4-5 months. :mad:

saraviamd
Feb 17, 2012, 03:01 PM

I dropped mine on nov 15 th and the web shows jan 30th !!!!! Come'n !!! Apple changes dates to its convenience !!

quagmire
Feb 17, 2012, 03:14 PM
4. There's no way of finding out where anyone's place in line is, but the replacement nanos are being shipped out in the order they received the iPods that we sent in.

Not directed at you, but BS BS BS BS and BS!!!!!! People who had their Nano's received after mine have had their replacements shipped to them already. People who sent it off later than I did have had their replacements ship( I am talking a week or two after I shipped mine off).

Sorry Apple, but just admit that there is no order in shipping replacements. It's as random as it can be.

nickn
Feb 17, 2012, 04:04 PM
Not directed at you, but BS BS BS BS and BS!!!!!! People who had their Nano's received after mine have had their replacements shipped to them already. People who sent it off later than I did have had their replacements ship( I am talking a week or two after I shipped mine off).

Sorry Apple, but just admit that there is no order in shipping replacements. It's as random as it can be.
The person I talked to at apple said that all of the iPods are being queued by serial number for replacement. If you sent in an iPod with a letter at the end of the alphabet, my SN started with Y, you will be waiting longer. I have no idea why they chose to do it like that, over just fixing iPods in the order they are received, but that is how it is.

quagmire
Feb 17, 2012, 04:12 PM
The person I talked to at apple said that all of the iPods are being queued by serial number for replacement. If you sent in an iPod with a letter at the end of the alphabet, my SN started with Y, you will be waiting longer. I have no idea why they chose to it like that, over just fixing iPods in the order they are received, but that is how it is.

Mine starts with Y, but I bought my Nano close to when it came out back in 2005. So mine was fairly close to when they began to produce the 1st gen.

I just think no one truly knows what the process is......

Clix Pix
Feb 20, 2012, 08:46 PM
I had purchased my original first-gen iPod Nano shortly after the announcement at the keynote, like a few days later. When the news of the recall came out, at first I didn't pay attention until then I saw where people were getting the 6th-gen as a "replacement," so I pulled my 4 GB first-gen iPod Nano out of the drawer, did the necessary preliminaries and in December shipped her off to Apple. The notification that it had been received there was dated January 7th and for the entire month of January the item was listed as "replacement pending...." Finally this past Friday I got the notification from Apple that my item was being shipped and sure enough, today FedEx delivered my shiny little 6th-gen iPod Nano. So, yes, it does seem to take some time......

gramirez2012
Feb 21, 2012, 06:35 PM
Got an email notification today saying that my replacement iPod shipped. Finally!

EvanLugh
Feb 22, 2012, 05:08 AM
I spoke to some very friendly CS who have filled an AWOL request, apparently in UK there's a huge backlog of things not on system. He phones and emails me bi-weekly to let me know of any progress.
There isn't any yet, and it hasn't been found, but with the great support I'm sure he'll work something out for me

rogan
Feb 22, 2012, 05:49 AM
9 weeks replacement pending in the uk now

Zeebs
Feb 22, 2012, 11:33 AM
I submitted my request Nov. 15th, but then there was some issue with my shipping address which cause Apple to have to push back my request and create a new one. So now my "original" request is Jan 7th and am still waiting on my Nano. Of course I can't complain THAT much since it was only in a drawer waiting to spontaneously combust or whatever the issue was. However, really looking forward to the new guy.

Still no shipping email, but would really appreciate one today, Apple shipping guy. I spoke with Apple last week and they said they were getting a "big shipment" of Nanos this week on Monday or Wednesday. Hopefully they have enough hands to pack those replacement nanos. Or, that could have been some BS.

Regardless, free is never quick. It's nice to have a place to complain to people in my same situation!

quagmire
Feb 22, 2012, 01:49 PM
WooHoo!!!!! Mine finally shipped. Time to order this. :D

http://assets.lunatik.com/images/lynk_product2.png?1329938256

Buklao
Feb 22, 2012, 02:30 PM
Dear Alex,

Your service request has been completed and your IPOD NANO shipped on 2012-02-22. Please allow two business days for delivery.

Finally after 2 months of waiting! How much do you guys think the NANO is worth? Might be looking to sell it later on.

Votekinky06
Feb 22, 2012, 04:15 PM
WooHoo!!!!! Mine finally shipped. Time to order this. :D

Image (http://assets.lunatik.com/images/lynk_product2.png?1329938256)

:eek: Link please!

quagmire
Feb 22, 2012, 04:18 PM
:eek: Link please!

http://lunatik.com/lynk

Clix Pix
Feb 22, 2012, 06:25 PM
That's gorgeous! I was in my local Microcenter today and picked up an inexpensive, cute little iWatchz thingy until I get around to going to the Apple store. It's fun to wear this thing as a watch, really fun!

nickn
Feb 23, 2012, 12:48 PM
I just got my 6th gen silver 8gb replacement like everyone else. Thanks apple! They even sent it 2 day by aircraft!
Here is a time breakdown for my white iPod Nano 1G 2GB.
I requested a replacement on December 21st 2011.
I received the envelope on the 28th and sent it back on the 30th.
Apple received the envelope on January 6th 2012, and identified the issue on the 7th.
Apple shipped a 6th gen nano on February 21st.
I received the new nano on February 23rd.
The whole process took 65 days or 9 weeks.

Makman8
Feb 23, 2012, 02:08 PM
Just sent mine in today! Bought off a kid in LA for $40 bucks :D Hoping I get a 6th Gen, fingers crossed :)

Feb 21st Request

Feb 23rd Received shipping package

Feb 23rd Pick up from Fed Ex 4:00PM

Feb 27th Product Received

Feb 27th Issue Identified

Feb 27th Product Replacement Pending

Mar 6th Replacement Product Shipped(well that was fast!?)

Mar 8th Received!!!

Stay tuned!

----------

http://lunatik.com/lynk

Whoa! I got it for an mp3 player for the car, but now im thinking I should just wear it as a watch! haha or maybe buy another old nano and send it in again :)

----------

Finally after 2 months of waiting! How much do you guys think the NANO is worth? Might be looking to sell it later on.

If your lucky $100 bucks, easy money 80. Not to mention Apple is selling their refurbs for $99 and that comes with headphones, usb, and packaging :P

Zeebs
Feb 24, 2012, 01:53 PM
So a little update on my process.

When I originally submitted my request Nov. 15th, there was an issue with my shipping address. For some reason, some businesses when shipping, and it's a hospital, but they don't understand my address. It's really not that hard, but the cannot confirm it. So I called up Apple when I hadn't received my envelope to mail back my recalled iPod. I got it soon after.

Now, I called Apple the other day to speak with an Apple rep who informed me that they were ready to ship my unit out, but the shipping address was rejected. I told him that originally I had the same problem, but informed them of the address, and how it would get to me. He said he'd escalate the issue since it was not mid February and still no replacement unit in my hands.

So I call back today, because they said unit would **** in about 24 hours and I wanted to check in and see why I didn't get a notification of shipment.

I'm put on hold for a bit while he checks it out with manager, and said they "closed my order." He asked did I ever cancel the order? I said, no. Turns out they "lost my box" or unit upon checkout, whatever that means and that he corrected it, and will now fall in queue with the rest of the folks and that my order will not take 3-4 more weeks to ship.

At this point I'm mad, but I have enough decency to know that I'm getting a pretty good deal here with the upgrade, so I hold back going off on the guy, but should I hold back? It's been one hell of a cluster getting this thing and had I been using this thing, this is a pretty damn long time to have to deal with something like this.

Perhaps it's coincidental but man I've had some terrible customer service since Steve's passing. Yes, I know the whole company didn't rear it's head after his passing, but I've just had some terrible run-ins. I won't all of a sudden become anti-Apple, but it is causing me to lose some faith of great customer service that I have previously had.

Sorry for the long post. :confused:

jwdawso
Feb 24, 2012, 01:57 PM
I just got my 6th gen silver 8gb replacement like everyone else. Thanks apple! They even sent it 2 day by aircraft!
Here is a time breakdown for my white iPod Nano 1G 2GB.
I requested a replacement on December 21st 2011.
I received the envelope on the 28th and sent it back on the 30th.
Apple received the envelope on January 6th 2012, and identified the issue on the 7th.
Apple shipped a 6th gen nano on February 21st.
I received the new nano on February 23rd.
The whole process took 65 days or 9 weeks.

Mine was exactly the same except for about 4 days later. I just got mine 2 days ago (Feb 22), for some reason beating you by a couple of days.

slyesco
Feb 27, 2012, 11:12 AM
Mine took 2 months. Just got my 6th Gen 8GB replacement today! Happy days!!!:D

Larouche
Feb 27, 2012, 12:54 PM
I'm at 93 days... Still pending...

jedipimping
Feb 28, 2012, 10:20 AM
Thought I'd share mine:

Service Requested: December 20, 2011

Received: January 13, 2012
Service (Issue Identified): January 13, 2012
Return: February 28, 2012

Here's hoping I get it this week!

quagmire
Feb 28, 2012, 02:15 PM
I just got my replacement..... Think there is something broken with it. Plugged it in to sync it, all I get is a white screen. Unplug it, screen eventually goes to the homepage, but everything is reverted. Sleep and wake fixes the issue. Plug it in again, same issue. Restore. Doesn't fix it. Reset. Doesn't work. Wiggle cable, brings screen back. Something lose in between the logic board and LCD?

Played with it a bit more...... Definitely has to do something with the dock connector.

Larouche
Feb 29, 2012, 07:32 AM
Finally, my 6th gen Nano was shipped yesterday and it's gonna be delivered this morning. I requested the service on November 26. So a total of 96 days...

glittersparkles
Feb 29, 2012, 08:05 AM
not going to lie, i preferred the 1st gen to the 6th gen that i received..

quagmire
Feb 29, 2012, 09:25 AM
not going to lie, i preferred the 1st gen to the 6th gen that i received..

Using it as an iPod, so far I will agree with you from playing with mine. But, it is going to be an awesome watch. :)

Now if that watchband will be delivered already....... It's been an hour away from me for the past 2 days.....

Larouche
Feb 29, 2012, 10:46 AM
Using it as an iPod, so far I will agree with you from playing with mine. But, it is going to be an awesome watch. :)

Now if that watchband will be delivered already....... It's been an hour away from me for the past 2 days.....

So, it's working now?

quagmire
Feb 29, 2012, 11:53 AM

So, it's working now?

It works when it isn't plugged in.

Zeebs
Feb 29, 2012, 12:40 PM
I finally received my Nano today! I'm guessing they screwed up the outgoing shipping processing/tracking because I received no notification from Apple this thing was coming. So, from start to finish:

Nov. 15th - request replacement from Apple
Feb. 29th - receive replacement from Apple

That's a whole lotta time, but excited to try this thing out. Whew. Good luck folks, be patient. I wasn't, but it will come!

abcdefghijklmno
Feb 29, 2012, 02:32 PM
So I call back today, because they said unit would **** in about 24 hours and I wanted to check in and see why I didn't get a notification of shipment.

:confused:

Love the typo....!

For me, posted the package on 30th Jan, on 4th Feb online status updated from Step 1 (received) straight through to Step 3 (return pending) in one go. no delivery yet though! Fingers crossed times are improving....

quagmire
Feb 29, 2012, 03:16 PM
Got the watchband. It's awesome. :)

http://gallery.me.com/quagmire2/100252/IMG_1040/web.jpg?ver=13305500810001

http://gallery.me.com/quagmire2/100252/IMG_1042/web.jpg?ver=13305500860001

BGPu
Mar 1, 2012, 02:44 PM
My wife's first iPod was the original Nano, which she passed on to her mom a couple years ago. I filled out the online form for the replacement program around Thanksgiving and didn't get my padded envelope until just before Christmas. I sent it in to Apple and have been checking the status every couple days, but it's been stuck on Service Requested.

I called today to see if I could find out anything, and apparently Apple never got it as UPS' tracking system noted that they discarded an empty package. So now I have to wait a week or 2 for Apple to investigate. After that, I have no idea.

glittersparkles
Mar 5, 2012, 01:38 PM

this sounds so bad, but i've given it to my cousin and bought an ipod mini off ebay for now haha.

Makman8
Mar 5, 2012, 04:03 PM
Got the watchband. It's awesome. :)

http://gallery.me.com/quagmire2/100252/IMG_1040/web.jpg?ver=13305500810001

http://gallery.me.com/quagmire2/100252/IMG_1042/web.jpg?ver=13305500860001

Its pretty cool looking! :eek:

chadamorrill
Mar 6, 2012, 03:22 PM
Sweet! Just got my shipping notification via email.

Service Requested: Jan 20
Product Received by Apple: Jan 27
Issue Identified: Jan 27
Replacement Shipped: Mar 6

Not too bad!

Makman8
Mar 6, 2012, 06:22 PM
Sweet! Just got my shipping notification via email.

Service Requested: Jan 20
Product Received by Apple: Jan 27
Issue Identified: Jan 27
Replacement Shipped: Mar 6

Not too bad!

Seems like these replacements are shipped out on set times. I just sent mine in Feb 21st and getting the new one shipped back the same Mar 6th date.

chadamorrill
Mar 7, 2012, 07:33 AM
Seems like these replacements are shipped out on set times. I just sent mine in Feb 21st and getting the new one shipped back the same Mar 6th date.

Good feelings gone. :(

No seriously, that's faster than any of the other posts I've read... by a mile. Congrats!

Makman8
Mar 7, 2012, 04:15 PM
Good feelings gone. :(

No seriously, that's faster than any of the other posts I've read... by a mile. Congrats!

LOL wells heres to our new iPods!! :):apple:

Makman8
Mar 8, 2012, 01:30 PM
2 weeks and 2 Days it took!!!! :eek:

DryEyez
Mar 10, 2012, 03:23 PM

Just got this box through the post myself 2 days ago....I have to say, it's a very impressive bit of kit, when compared with my 1G, my new 6G also has double the memory. Thankyou apple :p

bowzer
Mar 10, 2012, 04:08 PM
Got mine this past wednesday.

Requested: Dec 26 2011
Received box: Jan 5 2012
Sent back: Jan 7 2012
Received at Apple: Jan 9 2012
Issue Identified/replacement pending: Jan 27 2012
Replacement sent: Mar 6 2012

So close to 2.5 months in total.
Picked up this watch band for it. (http://www.shophex.com/product/HX1026) I like how you can easily clip it in and out.

iamartimus
Mar 12, 2012, 04:57 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

From the time I mailed the Nano, to receiving the new one, 2 weeks. Just ordered a Lunatik today!

quagmire
Mar 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
I got a replacement for the replacement on Saturday. Got a functioning 6th gen Nano. And the battery seems to be holding better than the defective one. :)

slick316
Mar 12, 2012, 09:27 PM
I requested the service on December 9th, and I still haven't received the box. Should I call about this or continue waiting for apple to send me the box I'm supposed to ship my nano in?

Larouche
Mar 13, 2012, 11:29 AM
I requested the service on December 9th, and I still haven't received the box. Should I call about this or continue waiting for apple to send me the box I'm supposed to ship my nano in?

You should definitely call...

Dopeyman
Mar 13, 2012, 08:48 PM
This is my status:

Service Requested:
February 26, 2012

Step 1 Request
March 6, 2012: Product received

Step 2 Service
March 6, 2012: Issue identified

Step 3 Return
March 12, 2012: Replacement Product Shipped

According to FedEx, I'm getting it tomorrow... :D

pyzon
Mar 14, 2012, 08:19 AM
Took about two weeks in total for, Fedex delivering replacement tomorrow ... :)

----------

Do they not even give the proper box with it??

Makman8
Mar 14, 2012, 02:21 PM
Took about two weeks in total for, Fedex delivering replacement tomorrow ... :)

----------

Do they not even give the proper box with it??

Naw I just got the cardboard box with foam and the little nano inside.

Heyref
Mar 15, 2012, 02:53 PM
Requested service 03/08/12
Received mailer from Apple 03/09/12
Dropped iPod in mailer at FedEx 03/10/12
Received new 6th gen iPod via FedEx 03/15/12
Seven days start to finish.

pyzon
Mar 15, 2012, 04:23 PM
Naw I just got the cardboard box with foam and the little nano inside.

received today yup with just a box and a pod inside! not particularly very Apple but you can't beat the fact they replaced something I bought 6 years ago...regardless of the fact it could have caused a fire and killed me and my family! ;)

saraviamd
Mar 16, 2012, 06:46 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

Received mine last week. Although took almost 4 months since I dropped it at a AASP I really loved it when I received it. I admit I'll miss my first gen :-( I've run already and is pretty accurate ;-)

TylerN
Mar 19, 2012, 02:00 PM
Mine has shipped out yay! getting it tomorrow (BC, canada)! Only a month of waiting not as bad as my buddy who sent his in November and got it last week lol :D

February 12, 2012: Service Requested:

March 2, 2012: Product received

March 3, 2012: Issue identified

March 17, 2012: Replacement Product Shipped

Will probs get a black tiktok and use it as a watch!

Buildbright
Mar 20, 2012, 12:18 AM
Got mine. Was very excited. Not a big fan anymore. Anyone want to buy it? lol

sunsluv
Mar 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
:D I submitted my replacement iPod NANO request on March 7, and today I received my new iPod Nano! 13 day turn-around! Amazing!!!! :D

jrc
Mar 30, 2012, 01:56 PM
Got mine in less than a week. Looks like they are speeding up the process.

firemedicmark
Apr 28, 2012, 03:54 PM
Got mine today! Took less than 10 days :)

Confuzzzed
May 1, 2012, 07:13 AM
Just for interest guys if you are still looking at what to do with your iPod when it arrives

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1365517

apanag
May 14, 2012, 07:59 PM
The process took about a month. It was shipped to Switzerland from Holland. This is where my old ipod was sent as well. The shipping took a while, but of course, they do not charge anything at all.

They sent the 6th generation ipod nano 8gb. Amazing service.

Requested Service: 11. April 2012
Shipped of new ipod: 4. Mai 2012
Arrived: 15. Mai 2012

northernbaldy
Jun 17, 2012, 08:48 AM
Just found my old nano in the garage :) I've requested a replacement And they are sending the box

raggdoll
Jun 18, 2012, 08:16 PM
Requested mine Friday June 8th, came in today, Monday the 18th. Pretty quick if you ask me :)

northernbaldy
Jun 27, 2012, 03:43 PM
Mine came today :)
It's really cool! I must admit, I wouldn't have bought one as I use my iPhone for music (and everything else) but this will be great for snowboarding! Especially with a watch strap