Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djbombjack

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Crooklyn, NY
First off, apologies if this has already been covered.

MacWarehouse no longer sell without sales tax - are there any other online REPUTABLE Apple retailers that sell without charging sales tax?
Not had much luck finding one so far...

smokeyrabbit

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2005
Escape from New England
djbombjack said:
First off, apologies if this has already been covered.

MacWarehouse no longer sell without sales tax - are there any other online REPUTABLE Apple retailers that sell without charging sales tax?
Not had much luck finding one so far...

New Hampshire does not have sales tax. Get yourself to the Apple store in the mall in Salem. Obviously that doesn't work for the "online" part though. Amazon.com appears to not have sales tax, although I didn't feel like entering my CC info just to find out.

simon-says

macrumors regular
May 24, 2005
Louisiana
Can anyone explain why Apple will charge sales tax in states where they don't have a store or a distribution center? I was charged sales tax on my iPod from the Apple Store online.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
They don't need to have a store, they need to have a presence, a presence is pretty loosely defined, I mean is an apple retailer at a university a presence? Apple does it this way because they are a large corporation. Its not just apple stores ... keep that in mind.

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Remember though, when you file your taxes each april states will ask you to pay sales tax on anything that you bought out of state. Yes, the chances of them checking are slim but would you really want an audit?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
MacConnection is one that will charge Sales Tax.

The only problem with going to NH, would be the Gas. If I understand correctly you would also have to purchase the stock Mac that the store has on hand. If you want built to order that would have to be order online. Which means mailing to a home address and a sales tax. At least my local store doesn't want BTO sent to the store. There reason is very sound, the Mac could accidentally get sold.

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
joshua_msu said:
Actually very few retailers do this. Apple just pockets the money.
Duff-Man says....if Apple collects tax, they remit it to the proper government agency - they do not "pocket" the money
:rolleyes: - Apple is a very large company and their books get looked over quite thoroughly...they would never get away with charging tax and keeping the money....oh yeah!

Bibulous

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
Look at B+H photo, they carry stock and some of the popular BTO's with no sales tax outside of NY, but they do charge shipping :rolleyes:

Amazon does not charge sales tax in most states and usually has a free, but slow, shipping deal

punkbass25

macrumors member
May 16, 2005
baummer said:
It's not a matter of which retailer does or does not charge sales tax. It's a matter of which states collect sales tax.
then how come when i order from places like amazon i don't pay tax, and i live in taxachussets

because amazon has no "prescence" here

baummer

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2005
Southern California
punkbass25 said:
then how come when i order from places like amazon i don't pay tax, and i live in taxachussets

because amazon has no "prescence" here

Yes, but what I was referring to was that sales tax is determined by the state. Obviously the company in question must have some sort of presence within the state in order to be required to collect sales tax on items sold to all purchasers in that state.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.