Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tootall

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
I have been trying to encrypt my 3TB time machine with file vault 2 (my os is 10.7.2) with no success, I always get an error message. Oddly at work, the encryption was successful on my 1TB time machine drive.

Looked up apple support and many people have the same problem without any solution (apparently Lions has bugs or fleas!)

Does anybody have a solution?

tootall

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada
Is the disk MBR formatted? If so, then you cannot have a partition larger than 2 TB. Try using the GUID partition instead.

Not familiar with these terms but disk utility tells me that it is already GUID...

Description du disque : Seagate
Capacité totale : 3 To (3*000*592*977*920 octets)
Bus de connexion : FireWire
État d’écriture : Lire/écrire
Type de connexion : Externe
État S.M.A.R.T. : Non géré
Schéma de carte de partition: Tableau de partition GUID

CodeBreaker

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2010
Sea of Tranquility
Not familiar with these terms but disk utility tells me that it is already GUID...

Description du disque : Seagate
Capacité totale : 3 To (3*000*592*977*920 octets)
Bus de connexion : FireWire
État d’écriture : Lire/écrire
Type de connexion : Externe
État S.M.A.R.T. : Non géré
Schéma de carte de partition: Tableau de partition GUID

Hmmm... That's all I had. All the best!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Not to take this off topic, but isn't risky to encrypt your back ups? I'd rather not risk my ability to restore my system.

What error message are you getting, and is the drive empty at the time. Perhaps there's not enough free space to encrypt the drive.

toolbox

macrumors 68020
Oct 6, 2007
Australia (WA)
Not to take this off topic, but isn't risky to encrypt your back ups? I'd rather not risk my ability to restore my system.

Yes it is! Because if you have to ever send the drive in for repair or Professional data recovery from what i have been told it isn't possible to get into the encrypted disk.

If the pass word is lost - no back doors to get in unless apple stores the recovery keys, i know they do if you encrypt your macs hdd, not sure of TM drive

tootall

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
Quebec, Canada

iphoneuserinyyz

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2011
Not sure - I am far from a Mac expert. I just followed the instructions on that site and it is working for me so far. But my Time Machine backup partitions are limited to 600 GB and 300GB (2 macs backing up to the NAS).

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Yes it is! Because if you have to ever send the drive in for repair or Professional data recovery from what i have been told it isn't possible to get into the encrypted disk.

If the pass word is lost - no back doors to get in unless apple stores the recovery keys, i know they do if you encrypt your macs hdd, not sure of TM drive

The whole POINT of encryption is to not allow Apple, or anyone else, access to your data.

I *love* FileVault 2 because I can solidly encrypt my disk and know that if my machine fails in warranty and I have to send it to Apple, they can't access my data. In the past I would have had to remove the hard drive and zero it, and even that wouldn't have been possible if it was the actual hard disk that had failed.

If you're that nervous about losing your passphrase, write it down on a piece of paper and lock it in a bank vault or something. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.