PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever use Quicktime Streaming Server to broadcast a live event?

MattG
May 25, 2005, 11:16 AM
I'm about to do this for the first time, and I'm a bit nervous. I'm trying to figure out what the best compression setting to use would be, etc., as the server is connected to a single T-1 line and it's not going to support a ton of users. I'm wondering how this is going to turn out. Anyone else have experience doing this?

realityisterror
May 25, 2005, 11:29 AM
I think you're going to need something more advanced than QSS...
AFAIK, QSS is for streaming a file that's already been recorded (similar to watching a Keynote event after the fact)

If you want something live, you're in a more interesting situation that I know nothing about...
I'd say give QSS a shot and do a little closed test to see if it does what you want and report back to us.

good luck
reality

MattG
May 25, 2005, 11:50 AM
I think you're going to need something more advanced than QSS...
AFAIK, QSS is for streaming a file that's already been recorded (similar to watching a Keynote event after the fact)

If you want something live, you're in a more interesting situation that I know nothing about...
I'd say give QSS a shot and do a little closed test to see if it does what you want and report back to us.

good luck
reality

Nope, QTSS includes the ability to broadcast a live event. OS X Server includes it:

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/quicktimestreaming.html

I've already tried it, and I know it works; I'm just concerned about how it's going to work when 20+ people connect to it. That's why I'm wondering if anyone else here has had experience doing this!!

cr2sh
May 25, 2005, 12:24 PM
I'd just record the event... then go back in later and add a "LIVE" banner on it... allow people to download it and simply say it was broadcasted live at some point in the past. They just happened to have missed it.

;)

MattG
May 25, 2005, 01:01 PM
I'd just record the event... then go back in later and add a "LIVE" banner on it... allow people to download it and simply say it was broadcasted live at some point in the past. They just happened to have missed it.

;)
That'd be great, but we already announced that we'd be doing it live. :)

djsound
May 15, 2008, 03:04 PM
so how did it go over?

you bought the $7000 server? :eek:

MattG
May 15, 2008, 04:11 PM
Wow this thread is three years old...

Well judging from what I can remember, it went pretty well?! Yes we bought a server; I don't remember how much it was, it was quite some time ago (it's a dual processor G5).

We've since upgraded our T-1 to a 5Mbit connection, and it seems like there's always a few users who have trouble connecting, but that's no surprise. After the events are over, we usually do post a Flash version of the movie that people can watch whenever.

djsound
May 15, 2008, 05:35 PM
ah ya didn't notice it was 3 years old. I just did a search for 'streaming' since i'm planning on doing the same kind of thing soon. Problem is I do not have $7000 for a server. I'm told I can use my second computer for my server running Darwin (top of the line macbook pro), but I don't know how to do this yet....or even if its possible. I would be using Quicktime Broadcaster to stream it live..