PDA

View Full Version : How do you cut and paste in Finder?

saintforlife
Dec 3, 2011, 02:23 AM
My MBA is my first Mac and the cut and paste function is something I use a lot in Windows to move files. How do you enable this on a Mac? Is there a keyboard short cut that works as a substitute? I am on Snow Leopard btw.

miles01110
Dec 3, 2011, 02:28 AM
There is no cut and paste in Finder by default.

Macman45
Dec 3, 2011, 02:32 AM
My MBA is my first Mac and the cut and paste function is something I use a lot in Windows to move files. How do you enable this on a Mac? Is there a keyboard short cut that works as a substitute? I am on Snow Leopard btw.

Copy and paste, or just drag the folders or files to the required destination...

saintforlife
Dec 3, 2011, 03:04 AM
Copy and paste, or just drag the folders or files to the required destination...
Well that is just stupid. Now I have to go back to the folder I copied the files from and delete them. Why are people forced to do this extra step? Why can't Apple just include the 'Cut' option in right click next to the 'Copy' option. If you can enable copy, how hard is it to enable cut? I just don't get some things with Macs. Just because they happen to not use/like it doesn't mean there are other who actually need and use them.

Macman45
Dec 3, 2011, 03:08 AM
I can't say it's ever been an issue for me...

miles01110
Dec 3, 2011, 03:08 AM
Well that is just stupid. Now I have to go back to the folder I copied the files from and delete them. Why are people forced to do this extra step? Why can't Apple just include the 'Cut' option in right click next to the 'Copy' option. If you can enable copy, how hard is it to enable cut? I just don't get some things with Macs. Just because they happen to not use/like it doesn't mean there are other who actually need and use them.

There are numerous threads on this issue already. There are various third-party solutions that add cut and paste, but I'm not sure how well they work with Lion.

As for why; Apple decides what functionality you need. People should understand that by now.

Troneas
Dec 3, 2011, 03:10 AM
i was told that the logic was that if you cut a file, and suddenly your machine powered off without pasting it first, you lost the file. so its a precaution measure.

but i agree with you. it was one of the few things i truly missed from windows.

saintforlife
Dec 3, 2011, 03:24 AM
i was told that the logic was that if you cut a file, and suddenly your machine powered off without pasting it first, you lost the file. so its a precaution measure.

but i agree with you. it was one of the few things i truly missed from windows.
I can tell you from experience that I find that to believe. The file is truly not 'cut' from its original location unless you 'paste' it at a new location. Done it multiple times on Windows, many times I've Ctrl-Xed something and totally forgotten to paste it and the original file is always there.

zepman
Dec 3, 2011, 03:51 AM
Copy the file first, cmd + c.
Then "Move item here" with alt + cmd + v.

That will behave like cut and paste.

DouchGod
Dec 3, 2011, 05:22 AM

If you hold "Alt" as you drag a icon it will copy it to where you dragged it, you can drag through your directories just hover over a file and it will open.

Also the poster above is correct.

Command+C copies the files or documents, note they won’t be ‘cut’ yet
Command+Option+V pastes the documents into the new location, cutting it from the prior locating and moving it to the new location

n1tut
Dec 3, 2011, 02:55 PM
What a load of bollocks. There is no reason why cut and paste should not be a function.

I have changed over from PC to MBA this year, and Apple rocks, but this sort of narrow mindlessness is just petty.

tut

QuarterSwede
Dec 3, 2011, 02:59 PM
There basically is in Lion. As mentioned by others it's more of a copy then move but the result is identical.

theSeb
Dec 3, 2011, 03:03 PM

There is. Cmd + c then cmd + alt + v as others have mentioned

rocknblogger
Dec 3, 2011, 03:37 PM

There are a couple of apps that might help you with your transition. One is called Totalfinder which adds functionality to finder and adds cut/paste menu options.

The other is called Pathfinder and is a replacement for finder. Either one is good but Pathfinder has a lot more functionality and options.

Good luck!!

fizzwinkus
Dec 4, 2011, 01:00 AM
i'm glad to see some people here know how to do it

saintforlife
Dec 4, 2011, 02:01 AM
There is. Cmd + c then cmd + alt + v as others have mentioned

Is this tip applicable only to Lion? Because it doesn't seem to work for me on Snow Leopard. For 'Alt' I am just pressing the 'Option' button because it has both 'alt' at the top and 'option' at the bottom. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to press an extra key to activate the 'alt' function on the 'option' key?

Comeagain?
Dec 4, 2011, 05:36 PM
, but this sort of narrow mindlessness is just petty.

tut

Apples narrow mindlessness is petty? The functionality is there, it's just called something different.

ajack
Dec 4, 2011, 08:00 PM
I think you should try Path Finder. But, it's somehow a waste cause Path Finder is not worth 40$ to add some extra command. However, you should try 30-free days using before purchasing (of course!)

theSeb
Dec 5, 2011, 01:20 AM
Is this tip applicable only to Lion? Because it doesn't seem to work for me on Snow Leopard. For 'Alt' I am just pressing the 'Option' button because it has both 'alt' at the top and 'option' at the bottom. Am I doing something wrong? Do I need to press an extra key to activate the 'alt' function on the 'option' key?

Yes, it's only been added in lion. I would suggest checking out path finder as others have suggested. I've been using it for a couple of years and I like it. It has more sensible sorting options and other functionality that makes it worth its price, in my opinion.

iApple Mania
Dec 5, 2011, 03:31 AM
cmd+D = copy
cmd+X = cut
cmd+V =paste

Stingray454
Dec 5, 2011, 03:49 AM
cmd+C = copy

Fixed that for you. (cmd+D is duplicate, ie create a copy of the file in the same directory - so still somewhat accurate)

LeandrodaFL
Dec 5, 2011, 06:34 AM
The time you take to open your destinatin folder and move the file/folder is a lot less then the time you take to cut and paste.

Its ridicoulous, but taking the time to second press the mouse, drag the cursor to "cut", make sure its on cut, left click the selection, second click again on the destination, move he cursor to paste, make sure its set to paste, press left click.....MAN......

just click once and move. simple as that lot faster, thanks apple for obligating me to get used to this.

Once you get used, you never miss cut.

maflynn
Dec 5, 2011, 06:38 AM

Agreed, file maintenance/management is superior in windows in part because of cut/paste.

You can however get an app called Path Finder (http://cocoatech.com/) which adds that cut/paste functionality into file management.

matrix07
Dec 5, 2011, 07:49 AM
The time you take to open your destinatin folder and move the file/folder is a lot less then the time you take to cut and paste.

Its ridicoulous, but taking the time to second press the mouse, drag the cursor to "cut", make sure its on cut, left click the selection, second click again on the destination, move he cursor to paste, make sure its set to paste, press left click.....MAN......

just click once and move. simple as that lot faster, thanks apple for obligating me to get used to this.

Agree. Cmd+ drag & drop is the way to go.

wikus
Mar 14, 2012, 05:33 AM

That sounds like a major pain in the balls.

TotalFinder is far superior. You get your choice of contextual menus to cut and paste, or use the keyboard commands to cut and paste; cmd+x to cut, and cmd+v to paste (essentially move).

On top of having REAL cut/paste functionality, TotalFinder gives you this;

http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/images/showcase/thumb-showcase-dual-mode.png

1) Adds tabbed finder windows
2) Splits the window to compare two folders
3) Adds this to the default Finder, thereby not replacing it, but improving it.

Theres a lot that Apple does right, but there are a few things that apple fails miserably at;

1) Mouses (theyve always sucked)
2) Removal of proper Expose in OS X 10.7 and 10.8
3) The green button to maximize windows (doesnt actually maximize)
4) The finder

----------

See my previous comment above.

You won't regret TotalFinder, its what The Finder should have been by now.

mopatops
Mar 14, 2012, 06:29 AM
Big +1 for TotalFinder. Especially when combined with BetterTouchTool to allow 2 finger swipe forward/backward, 3 finger tap to open in new tab etc.

KnightWRX
Mar 14, 2012, 06:51 AM
There is no such thing as Cut in file management, on any platform (Windows included). When you think about it, that would simply be totally insane to implement.

Cut, the actual Cut, removes the content you're "Cutting" and moves it entirely to the clipboard, which is quite volatile. If you don't paste it, it remains in the clipboard until something else simply overwrites it. Data loss anyone ?

No, what "Cut & Paste" does exist in File Management is actually what is called a "Move" operation. This command is MOVE under DOS/Windows and mv under Unix. Other platforms use other names, but the theory is always the same.

And even then, "Move" operations are not actually moving files, that would simply be totally insane to implement.

Moving means reading in a block/inode/record from a file, deleting it, and writing it in the new destination file. If something happens to the computer while this is being performed, you're left with 2 completely corrupt files. Data loss anyone ?

So, what are we left it, how does file management actually do it if all other methods are just pure insanity ? First, it depends on a critical condition : Are we wanting to "move" these files accross file system boundaries ? If you answer NO to this, then we can do it in an easy step : Modify the filesystem entry for the file to place it in the new location rather than the old. This means the actual data stays in the same spot on the drive, it's just its metadata in the database known as the filesystem that makes it show up elsewhere to file managers. How this is done is entirely dependant on the filesystem on your drive, and this is kernel level stuff, determined by the VFS layer so that the userspace programmer does not have to bother with such details.

If the answer is YES, it becomes a 3 step process. Copy is the first step, where the actual source file is read into memory and stored. Paste is the second operation where the destination file is written from the buffer in memory (these 2 steps can be combined in case source and destination are specified from the get go). After the destination is written, then we can move on to the 3rd and final step, deleting the source. This will also usually be done at the VFS layer so that the userspace programmer does not have to bother with such details.

Now. Finder. Yes, it only does "Copy & Paste", but it can also do "Move". In Snow Leopard and prior, move could only be performed if you did not cross filesystem boundaries (ie, write to another volume) and the way to do it was to drag & drop files. The default behavior would then be to move the files. Accross file system boundaries ? A Drag & Drop results in a copy because frankly, moving accross file system boundaries by default would simply be totally insane to implement. ;)

convergent
Mar 14, 2012, 07:10 AM
Another +1 on TotalFinder. I own and have used Pathfinder and Forklift also, but they never stuck because it was a separate thing to open. Total Finder adds several capabilities to Finder directly which is much better. In addition to buttons for Cut/Copy.... it gives you the ability to sort folders to the top, and also to tab windows and then have a split view between two.

DDustiNN
Mar 14, 2012, 07:07 PM
I use TotalFinder as well and I absolutely love it. Tabbed windows, dual-pane windows, cut/paste, and the #1 reason I got it... SHOW FOLDERS BEFORE FILES. That absolutely drives me nuts that OS X simply puts EVERYTHING in alphabetical order, rather than the directories first.

Stardotboy
Mar 15, 2012, 05:52 AM
I've always preferred the way cut+paste is handled in Windows. I'm quite happy with the default Finder in all other respects though so I use a small app called Yoink (available on the app store) to handle this - can't recommend it highly enough.

Warhawk15
Mar 15, 2012, 11:28 AM
I already knew how to cut and paste(like Windows) but I didn't know about TotalFinder and BetterTouchTool, thank you people! :)
Sure makes having my little air that much better.

iAppl3Fan
Mar 15, 2012, 01:36 PM
Apples narrow mindlessness is petty? The functionality is there, it's just called something different.

Think Different. Lol