PDA

View Full Version : Lion : Laggy, crashes, reboots.

jadot
Dec 3, 2011, 09:55 AM
I've been putting up with this for a little while now.

I'm running mainly Apple Apps such as Aperture, Pages, mail, Safari, iTunes with a bit of CS5 thrown in.
iMac, 27, 3.4 i7, 12Gb Ram.
At least 3-5 times a week I'm having major system crashes needing a reboot. In between I'm suffering extremely laggy performance just for simple tasks such as scrolling. Apps freeze, apps shut down without notice.

Why? The iMac 24" 2.93, 8Gb Ram I had before ran Aperture (for Example) really well with no problems AT ALL. In fact I rarely had a catastrophic system crash with SL - maybe two?

What gives? The only thing that's different (Apart from a major iMac upgrade, and moving from 8 to 12GB ram) is the operating system.

I know, I know. You're using the same apps as me and everything's going just fine for you. That's great, but I want to hear from the users who've had similar issues, and maybe even fixed them.

Are you there?

C64
Dec 3, 2011, 10:14 AM
Did you do an upgrade or clean install?
What does Applications/Utilities/Console.app say?

I bought a new Mac mini last summer and had similar problems, even though it was completely new and a factory installation. I eventually did a full wipe and re-installed Lion. No problems since.

Of course that's not an easy solution, but it might be worth the try. If you create a Time Machine backup of your system as it is now, you can easily set it back if a fresh install doesn't turn out to solve anything.

jadot
Dec 4, 2011, 05:04 AM
Did you do an upgrade or clean install?
What does Applications/Utilities/Console.app say?

I bought a new Mac mini last summer and had similar problems, even though it was completely new and a factory installation. I eventually did a full wipe and re-installed Lion. No problems since.

Of course that's not an easy solution, but it might be worth the try. If you create a Time Machine backup of your system as it is now, you can easily set it back if a fresh install doesn't turn out to solve anything.

>> Ugh.

it's a brand new machine, brand new install, all updated with all the software I use updated too. A clean install isn't the answer for me - who has the time?
Also, it's a bit of a shot in the dark. Even if it did solve the problem, it would be hard to trace what caused it in the first place, meaning that it could easily re-occur.
No. Thanks, but no thanks! I'm not looking for a patch here. The system worked just fine before on a machine with less processing power and less RAM. The only thing different is the OS.

I want to know if anybody has had similar problems and fixed it WITHOUT doing a wipe and re-install - If that's how to fix things in Lion, that's ridiculous! And it tells us nothing about the problem.

laudern
Dec 4, 2011, 05:06 AM
yes yes yes. we all know Lion is ****. get over it and just install SL and if snow leopard didnt come with your mac, thats sucks...

GermanyChris
Dec 4, 2011, 05:17 AM
>> Ugh.

it's a brand new machine, brand new install, all updated with all the software I use updated too. A clean install isn't the answer for me - who has the time?
Also, it's a bit of a shot in the dark. Even if it did solve the problem, it would be hard to trace what caused it in the first place, meaning that it could easily re-occur.
No. Thanks, but no thanks! I'm not looking for a patch here. The system worked just fine before on a machine with less processing power and less RAM. The only thing different is the OS.

I want to know if anybody has had similar problems and fixed it WITHOUT doing a wipe and re-install - If that's how to fix things in Lion, that's ridiculous! And it tells us nothing about the problem.

So what you should have said was " I don't like that solution, any one else have one?"

That solution will probably work BTW

jadot
Dec 4, 2011, 06:57 AM
So what you should have said was " I don't like that solution, any one else have one?"

That solution will probably work BTW

Thanks for your help.

----------

yes yes yes. we all know Lion is ****. get over it and just install SL and if snow leopard didnt come with your mac, thats sucks...

Great, thanks. Real helpful.

HarryPot
Dec 4, 2011, 09:23 AM

I had terrible animation lags all within Lion. In a brand new 15" MBP. Aperture is a mess, tho this is more in relation to Aperture than Lion. Aperture has never been a bug-free app.

I tried everything. And I rally mean anything I found online.

The only real solution was the one I did yesterday. Completely erase my disk, and then re-install Lion.

Also, I found somewhere that the Thunderbolt update is faulty and might be causing problems in some systems. So I'm not downloading it for the moment.