Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
Ridiculous, probably not enough news to broadcast... This insane fixation with the case thats hampering CNN. Maybe they should do a special on the EU constitution vote or some other worldly topic

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Phat_Pat said:
Her eyes are freaky

they're probably red from crying right now....imagine going on line and reading that you could go to jail and that they're waiting for you to turn yourself in?

:( :rolleyes:

D

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
yes, 6 years would be a bit much. but i don't think she should get away without any penalty, either. i think she should at least be required to pay back all costs incurred by authorities in searching for her. i'm sure her family and friends will exact their own payment for the anguish she caused them (probably by shunning or vilifying her directly or indirectly). i hope she gets the help she needs and never does anything like this again.

marianne

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
6 years is a bit much, but as has been said she does deserve some punishment..... its a very grey area....i just hpoe the right action is taken

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
She can note get more than Martha Stwart (or what ever her name is).

Then... is Sad that the News in CNN are so lame, looks like they want to keep people stupid. The news back home are way more interesting, you would be amazed to know where the oil industry is going and that Hugo Chavez is threating the US very hard.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Just make her pay the money off with interest. She's been all over the news for weeks now, that's gotta count.

Otherwise it's just going to cost another $30,000 a year to keep her locked up.

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
Up until she lied to police in NM she did nothing illegal. This is America after all and not fascist country. Only recently was it mandated that we have to give our names to authorities when asked. And that was a 5-4 split in the supreme court.

If police in NM want to charge her with whatever that is their prerogative. Georgia has no case.

He fiance might have a case against her but that is about it.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
MongoTheGeek said:
Up until she lied to police in NM she did nothing illegal... in NM want to charge her with whatever that is their prerogative. Georgia has no case.
I am not a lawyer, but at least part of Gwinnett County's case against her has to do with the lie(s) she told to a Duluth, GA police officer:
Wilbanks, 32, is charged with one count of making false statements, a felony punishable by up to five years in prison, and one count of making a false report of a crime, a misdemeanor punishable by a year in jail, District Attorney Danny Porter said...

The charges were based on evidence presented to the grand jury, which included a statement Wilbanks made to Duluth Police Chief Randy Belcher by telephone from New Mexico, Porter said.

That statement was Wilbanks' claim that she had been abducted, as well as descriptions of the perpetrators, Porter said.
I suspect that they'll reach some plea agreement. I don't see them sending this girl to jail over this.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
in other news... Dubya is starting a new war against B.G.C.F. (brides getting cold feet).

come on america! everybody gets scared. everybody makes mistakes. there are kids who run away and the police look for them too. (well she made it a bit worse by saying that she was kidnapped, or was that another news story?)

a year of community work should do the trick.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
She should do some sort of community service and pay a fine - she or her parents already lost a fortune on the wedding being a bust :D I wonder if we'll ever hear if she gets married?

Coming soon, after/if she actually goes through with the marriage, the Made For TV Hallmark Movie Special..... :rolleyes:

(I joke, but you know someone has already thought of doing this....)

D

xli_ne

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2005
Center of the Nation
She won't get six years in jail. This whole thing got blown up way to big and the news are just eating it all up. Must be the big ass bug eyes of her. Just freaks people out.

Attachments

• 16_25_042805_wilbanks_jennifer_35.jpg
    16_25_042805_wilbanks_jennifer_35.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 72

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
MongoTheGeek said:
If police in NM want to charge her with whatever that is their prerogative. Georgia has no case.

I think she owes Georgia something. They speant $50,000 looking for her @$$. Not to mention the thousands of volunteers that searched for her. She should at least have to pay the $50,000 back. It wouldn't kill her to write apology letters to the people that searched for her either.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
redAPPLE said:
come on america! everybody gets scared. everybody makes mistakes. there are kids who run away and the police look for them too.
Well, you have a good point. Everyone knows that women and children are naturally more prone to getting the jitters and running away when they have a bad case of nerves. I think that the next time a woman or child goes missing, we'd all be wise to give it a few days before we start looking for them -- after all, we don't want to waste money looking for the next Jennifer Wilbanks who's just taken a weekend trip to Las Vegas.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Lyle said:
Well, you have a good point. Everyone knows that women and children are naturally more prone to getting the jitters and running away when they have a bad case of nerves. I think that the next time a woman or child goes missing, we'd all be wise to give it a few days before we start looking for them -- after all, we don't want to waste money looking for the next Jennifer Wilbanks who's just taken a weekend trip to Las Vegas.

Did you forget your " :rolleyes: :p " ?

D ;)

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Mr. Anderson said:
Did you forget your?
Well, I didn't want to make it too easy to spot the sarcasm. ;)

But all kidding aside: I don't care so much about the time and money wasted by the various law enforcement officials (and volunteers) who spent days looking for her. And I'm not one of those people who, because I spent all of that time glued to CNN, worrying about what had happened to her, feels that she somehow "owes" me. What bothers me is that the next time someone goes missing, some people might have a nagging question at the back of their mind: "Do I really want to spend a day out searching for this person, or is it just some moron crying wolf?"

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
i think the social judgments on her are enough to deter others from committing similar deeds simply for attention, so it's punitive and pointless to press charges. We all learned a lesson-- Everyone hates liar-bitch-runaway-brides. Move on.

craigdawg

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2004
Sactown
Six years is the maximum sentence and does not mean she'll get six years even if convicted. Although she has some priors. Screw it, throw the book at her!

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
dotdotdot said:
SO did they ever get married!?!?

(On a side note, DAMNNNNN!!! SHES UGGGGLLLLYYYY!!!)

Not yet. Last I heard she was getting some inpatient psychiatric help.

Yes she's ugly. Anorexia does that to people.

She does deserve punishment for lying to the cops thing.

As for the search, no. If I were one of the searchers would I speak to her again? Probably not. There was no crime in leaving. There was no wrong doing. It was merely a rudeness.

----
one last thought... How many people who really wanted her to be found alive and healthy were pissed off because she was? cf Daniel 4:1-11

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
MongoTheGeek said:
one last thought... How many people who really wanted her to be found alive and healthy were pissed off because she was?
Heh, well, that's an interesting question to ponder.

If she were a family member, or someone else that I loved unconditionally, I hope I'd be relieved that she was found alive and healthy, even though what she'd done was (at the least) very embarrassing to the family. I guess it would be the same mix of emotions that I'd have if my child did something stupid and dangerous, like driving recklessly and getting into an automobile accident: I'd try to remember how thankful I was that they were still alive, as I proceeded to strangle them for putting me through all that worry.

I think it was my wife who first observed that during all of the media hullaballoo surrounding the story, we never saw Jennifer's mother interviewed. Her theory is that even if the jilted groom and Papa Wilbanks are willing to forgive and forget on this one, Mama might have been too ticked-off to appear on camera. ;)

madoka

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
All she has to do to get out of this media storm is pay off what it cost to search for her and apologize profusely.

Even if she doesn't have the money (though from the sound of her 600+ wedding, they do), she gives Oprah/Barbara/Enquirer an exclusive and gets the money that way. By hiring a lawyer to try to reduce the penalty amount, she seems more of a jerk not wanting to take care the actual cost of her problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.