PDA

View Full Version : How Does Everyone Like OS X Lion?

MacBookBroLax
Dec 7, 2011, 07:54 PM
I recieved my new MacBook Pro about 4 days ago. I love the new software
OS Lion. The brand new software is amazing. It is so much better than my older MacBook Pro software. I just wanted to see what everyone thinks about it!! :apple: I like the LaunchPad and Mission Control. They make the laptop very easy to use. I love OX LionPost some pictures of what you like about OS Lion. :apple:

w00t951
Dec 7, 2011, 08:02 PM
I enjoy the fact that the entire computer doesn't freeze if one application freezes. I don't know how deep Apple went while making changes to the OS, but it seems as though they have done something fundamentally different with the way Mac OS handles CPU calls. Memory management is better, and the interface is just nice. I just wish they would bring back Exposé, but Mission Control works well. I don't like the way apps are kept "open" when shutting down or logging off, but it's not difficult to uncheck the box in the shut down window.

VMMan
Dec 7, 2011, 08:04 PM
I like the improved security, three finger drag, full-screen mode, and will probably use the hard drive encryption soon.

I dislike the slower startup time and continued lack of TRIM support for non-Apple SSDs.

GGJstudios
Dec 7, 2011, 08:06 PM
Poll: People who really like Lion (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1226324&highlight=like)
I am not liking Lion! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1194875&highlight=like)
What you like and what you dislike about Lion. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1105010&highlight=like)
Anyone feel like Lion is Apple's Windows Vista? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1201103&highlight=like)

w00t951
Dec 7, 2011, 08:09 PM
Poll: People who really like Lion (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1226324&highlight=like)
I am not liking Lion! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1194875&highlight=like)
What you like and what you dislike about Lion. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1105010&highlight=like)
Anyone feel like Lion is Apple's Windows Vista? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1201103&highlight=like)

Do you do this with all of the posts you see? Because if everyone used one thread for the same problem, it would be a really boring MR Forums.

Heebeejeebies
Dec 7, 2011, 08:11 PM

I enjoy GGJstudios responses consisting solely of links. They take me to other universes, which often lead to epiphanies of psychedelic proportions.

I also like using Lion.

Nameci
Dec 7, 2011, 08:12 PM
But then again if you create more threads out of a similar topic it becomes redundant, isn't it? It is like your mother telling you the same thing over and over again in the morning. Are you not tired of it?

VMMan
Dec 7, 2011, 08:14 PM
I enjoy GGJstudios responses consisting solely of links. They take me to other universes, which often lead to epiphanies of psychedelic proportions.

I also like using Lion.

I especially enjoy his enthusiasm to anybody's thread concerning batteries or power adapters.

GGJstudios
Dec 7, 2011, 08:17 PM
Do you do this with all of the posts you see? Because if everyone used one thread for the same problem, it would be a really boring MR Forums.
Who said anything about using one thread? The OP asked how people like Lion. I posted relevant links that answer the question, as forum rules suggest. If it bothers you, add me to your ignore list. :rolleyes:

VMMan
Dec 7, 2011, 08:20 PM
Who said anything about using one thread? The OP asked how people like Lion. I posted relevant links that answer the question, as forum rules suggest. If it bothers you, add me to your ignore list. :rolleyes:

You never stated your opinion to the OP's question! How do YOU like Lion?

GGJstudios
Dec 7, 2011, 08:22 PM
You never stated your opinion to the OP's question! How do YOU like Lion?
I gave the OP many more opinions than just one. My personal opinion is irrelevant.

visim91
Dec 7, 2011, 08:28 PM
I gave the OP many more opinions than just one. My personal opinion is irrelevant.

Said it once before, will say it again:

I have begun to notice how GGJstudios consistently provides the most well-linked replies in an almost painful-to-watch patient manner. Dude's a robot!

Nychot
Dec 7, 2011, 09:13 PM
i didn't think i would. i have been using SL and still do with my mac mini and will continue to do so until i finish a certain project because i'm using word 2004 that won't work with lion. but of course i have lion on my mbp using word 2011 which is compatible with word 2004 word.doc documents. but when i'm finished i will update my SL on the mini to lion and also update word 2004 to 2011. to make a looooong story short i really like lion but it has a relatively long learning curve because there are so many new attributes in it compared to snow leopard. when i have the time i will try to learn a lot of them. but i really like lion on my mbp at least so far.

vitzr
Dec 7, 2011, 09:18 PM
I don't care for it myself.

I even bought a new 2011 MBA just to try it, without having to disturb my fast and fully optimized 2010 15" & 17" MBP, my Mac Pro, and others on my network.

I'm sure many find it just fine, I'm not saying anything bad about it.

But for me it just doesn't suit my preferences. I'm running 10.6.8 and could not be happier.

stroked
Dec 7, 2011, 09:44 PM
I have it installed on an external drive, with my '07 iMac. It is fast, and I haven't had any of the problems, that others have posted. I do miss spaces, so for now I will keep SL on my iMac, and use Lion for my torrent HDD.

SDColorado
Dec 7, 2011, 10:07 PM
I really didn't think I was going to like it. But when I purchased the MBA it came with Lion, and I was surprised by how much I actually did like it. I now have it installed on all of my computers. As mentioned in an above post, I do miss Spaces, but overall I am liking it.

miker2209
Dec 7, 2011, 11:47 PM
I like it as well, just hate how everytime i arrange my folder in Kind of Size it would put everything in sections.

Akack
Dec 8, 2011, 12:04 AM
Was a mouse guy, never a big trackpad user......until Lion came along.

eljanitor
Dec 8, 2011, 12:12 AM
Sucks on my Mac Book, but ok on everything else so far.

Abazigal
Dec 8, 2011, 12:25 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Indifferent to it actually. I am basically trading three finger resume for that annoying shutdown window prompt.

Michael383
Dec 8, 2011, 12:42 AM
I upgraded from Snow Leopard on my iMac and MBP and haven't had any problems so far.

mgartner0622
Dec 8, 2011, 12:49 AM
I had a 2010 15" MacBook Pro, and it was absolutely terrible.
After taking it into the Genius Bar multiple times, it was replaced with the late 2011 unit I have now.
Lion has been great.

Personally though my favorite OS at launch was Leopard. Tiger, although it did have some issues, was my second favorite.

maflynn
Dec 8, 2011, 05:40 AM
I like it, I have it on my MBP and its stable and fast.

Joos24
Dec 8, 2011, 10:12 AM
I've been on the Mac for 14 years and for me this is the best version of Mac OS to date. I have to use my Macs for business use and Mission Control has been amazing for my productivity. I love the enhances to Image Capture, love the full screen feature and Spotlight is much nicer in Lion than in Snow Leopard.
Played with someone's Snow Leopard Mac the other day and it really seems old and ancient and lacking in features compared to Lion.
Is it perfect? No, and Snow Leopard certainly had it's issues. Am I satisfied with Lion? YES. Very much. :)

Steve's Barber
Dec 8, 2011, 10:44 AM
Bring back the more efficient Expose/Spaces and I'm in.

Lion has slipped to below 4 stars. :eek:

Even scarier is FCPX is rated higher.

You guys can neg me all you want but the poll here in this thread pretty much echoes the ratings of Lion in the app store. :)

tkermit
Dec 8, 2011, 11:43 AM
You guys can neg me all you want but the poll here in this thread pretty much echoes the ratings of Lion in the app store.

Not quite. 80% (58/72) of the people who've voted on this poll and have updated to Lion seem to like it.

Joos24
Dec 8, 2011, 03:47 PM
You guys can neg me all you want but the poll here in this thread pretty much echoes the ratings of Lion in the app store. :)

How so? 59 people so far have said YES, they like Lion and 16 people said NO. Oy vey. :rolleyes:

Not quite. 80% (58/72) of the people who've voted on this poll and have updated to Lion seem to like it.

Exactly!!, man some people on this forum just really want Lion to fail and it's obvious it bothers them that it's getting high praise outside of the usual armchair technicians on forums. :)

Steve's Barber
Dec 8, 2011, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=Joos24;13981777]How so? 59 people so far have said YES, they like Lion and 16 people said NO. Oy vey. :rolleyes:

Man, you guys take things so literally.

I'm comparing your 80% poll results to the "general" survey on the App Store. Just by "eyeball". My point is that Lion is not the slam dunk many are hoping for. I've actually never seen so much distaste for an new Apple OS before.

And while 80% will get you a license at the DMV I wouldn't want to fly an airline that boasted 8 out of 10 landings where all 3 wheels worked. :)

tkermit
Dec 8, 2011, 05:02 PM
while 80% will get you a license at the DMV I wouldn't want to fly an airline that boasted 8 out of 10 landings where all 3 wheels worked. :)

Bad analogy. As far as I can tell (http://www.dailyfinance.com/2011/06/21/southwest-remains-no-1-for-airline-customer-satisfaction/), the airline with the highest customer satisfaction rating also scores 80/100.

:)

SOUND-DRIVE
Dec 8, 2011, 05:19 PM
[QUOTE=Joos24;13981777]How so? 59 people so far have said YES, they like Lion and 16 people said NO. Oy vey. :rolleyes:

I'm comparing your 80% poll results to the "general" survey on the App Store. Just by "eyeball". My point is that Lion is not the slam dunk many are hoping for. I've actually never seen so much distaste for an new Apple OS before.

And while 80% will get you a license at the DMV I wouldn't want to fly an airline that boasted 8 out of 10 landings where all 3 wheels worked. :)
Somehow Flying in a plane and using Lion is not the same.. Lets take a batter..hitting 800% would be super star status

David085
Dec 8, 2011, 05:39 PM
I like OS X Lion it works perfectly fine for me

roadbloc
Dec 8, 2011, 05:50 PM
It would be great if it wasn't for the WiFi issues and about 35GB of un-locatable 'other' taking up all of my SSD space. Until these bugs are fixed, Lion is pretty much unusable thanks to having no internet every 5 minutes and having no disk space no matter how many files I delete.

Steve's Barber
Dec 8, 2011, 06:03 PM
Somehow Flying in a plane and using Lion is not the same..Taking things too literally.... I rest my case. :)

It would be great if it wasn't for the WiFi issues and about 35GB of un-locatable 'other' taking up all of my SSD space. Until these bugs are fixed, Lion is pretty much unusable thanks to having no internet every 5 minutes and having no disk space no matter how many files I delete.

The wasted space is most likely caused by local backups. Go here (http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/28/disable-time-machine-local-backups-in-mac-os-x-lion/) to learn how to "undo" yet another Lion useless feature. :) Can't help with the Wi-Fi problems though. My solution was Snow Leopard.

roadbloc
Dec 8, 2011, 06:14 PM
The wasted space is most likely caused by local backups. Go here (http://osxdaily.com/2011/09/28/disable-time-machine-local-backups-in-mac-os-x-lion/) to learn how to "undo" yet another Lion useless feature. :) Can't help with the Wi-Fi problems though. My solution was Snow Leopard.

Wow. Thanks a lot, that was just the trick. I still have around 11GB of 'other' for some reason, but it has certainly cleared a lot of disk space and actually lets me use my MBA again. Words cannot even begin to describe how grateful I am for your post.

It seems to me Apple didn't think many of these new features through at all.

tkermit
Dec 8, 2011, 06:20 PM
Wow. Thanks a lot, that was just the trick. I still have around 11GB of 'other' for some reason, but it has certainly cleared a lot of disk space and actually lets me use my MBA again. Words cannot even begin to describe how grateful I am for your post.

It seems to me Apple didn't think many of these new features through at all.

Mobile Backups are automatically deleted by the system once you're running out of space.

And why are you concerned about 11GB of 'other' space? Obviously not everything on your hard disk is either audio, movies, photos, apps or backups?!

http://f.cl.ly/items/1t2F0O1u2a1a0m1G1s3d/space.png

roadbloc
Dec 8, 2011, 06:38 PM
Mobile Backups are automatically deleted by the system once you're running out of space.
Mine obviously weren't.

And why are you concerned about 11GB of 'other' space? Obviously not everything on your hard disk is either audio, movies, photos, apps or backups?!
Because other than Music (~/Music/iTunes), Apps (/Applications), Movies (~/Movies) and Pictures (~/Pictures/iPhoto Library) I only have 56MB of 'Other' that I know about, which is all stored in ~/Documents.

Taking 6GB of OS X install into account, what is taking 5GB+ of storage?

Steve's Barber
Dec 8, 2011, 06:42 PM
I still have around 11GB of 'other' for some reason

I think for most of us the "Other" category will always be the largest space eater. It's just all the crap that can't be classified including all OSX files:

It seems to me Apple didn't think many of these new features through at all.Or... they "thunk" 'em through just a bit too much. (e.g., versions :))

tkermit
Dec 8, 2011, 06:44 PM
Mine obviously weren't.

Just to make sure, did the system actually complain about running out of space? Did the Finder show that there was no more free space available? What problems were you having specifically? Or were you just going by the storage graph in the 'About this Mac' window?

what is taking 5GB+ of storage?

Download and run GrandPerspective (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/19515/grandperspective) (or some app like it, e.g. DaisyDisk (http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/30689/daisydisk)) – then you can tell us. :)

roadbloc
Dec 8, 2011, 07:07 PM
Just to make sure, did the system actually complain about running out of space? Did the Finder show that there was no more free space available? What problems were you having specifically? Or were you just going by the storage graph in the 'About this Mac' window?
Finder complained. As did iTunes. Constantly (no matter now many times I checked the 'Do Not Notify Me About This Issue' box.)

WSR
Dec 8, 2011, 08:38 PM
Why I'm staying with SL.

#1 The downgrading of Spaces and Expose. I find Mission Control to be less powerful, and I'm sure Apple can give us a choice between Classic Spaces/Expose and Mission Control.
#2 Lion's Full-Screen mode makes multiple monitors nearly useless. Snow Leopard's Full-Screen mode is in general better. True this is specific to the app. I just noticed the other day that even in SL, Itunes' Full-Screen mode behaves like Lion.
#3 The loss of the "Save As..." option.
#4 The loss of "Do you want to Save?"
#5 I don't want Resume, Versions or AutoSave and not all of these can be turned off.

Many of these, if not all, can be returned to Lion without loss of new features like Mission Control, and I hope Apple will start working on this.

Joos24
Dec 8, 2011, 09:11 PM

Poor analogy and poor repair job. You lost the argument. I've read your other posts, you have quite a distaste for Lion and you're being vocal to the point that you're trying to scare others into not upgrading in a subtle manner. :rolleyes:

Lion is a very good OS and it will only get better.

SR45
Dec 9, 2011, 08:23 AM
First Mac ever, so cannot compare to the other Apple iOS's, but for me Lion is just fine, no issues for me what so ever. Like the fact that if one does have to reinstall the OS, its easier than using Windows Vista, or Windows 7, in that using them, one needs to be at the computer to type in settings during the beginning and through-out the process. Not so with Lion until the very end. :D

klaxamazoo
Dec 9, 2011, 09:10 AM
While the OS is reasonably stable, the UI changes in Lion make it a lot harder for someone who was used to having a powerful UI that was reasonably simple.

- Mission Control. Some people like or don't have a problem with Mission Control. Personally, Mission Control sucks and is a huge downgrade from Expose/Space. I can no longer see everything at once because windows cover one another. I can only Expose one Space at a time. Spaces on segregated alone when multiple displays are used. The Spaces icons are now extremely tiny, making it even harder to see what is on each Space and forcing me to swipe through 4-5 spaces to get a clear vision of where things are located.
Maybe this is fine for you. But it sucks ass for anyone that was used to having 40+ windows open at at time spread across 4 - 6 Spaces.

- iCal is remarkably stupid this time with even less functionality than in Snow Leopard combined with a santorum-nasty skin based upon a stupid desk calendar.

- Address Book is now crippled in order to look like my mother's old address book and can now only show 2 columns of information at a time. Thanks for reducing functionality just so Apple can make my computer look something old. Maybe Apple can have Jon Ives put in some vacuum tubes into the hardware to pay homage to the inefficient past.

- The sidebar icons in Finder are now grey, making it harder to find the things I'm looking for (although there are simple hacks to bring them back)

- The "Duplicate" instead of "Save As" is annoying because now I have to selected the old window and close it before I can continue my work

- Versions adds a lot more steps to doing simple, temporary changes to documents (such as checking a formula change in Excel) and heaven help you if you made a change that you didn't want saved and weren't really thinking about.

While Lion may have added a lot of new features, the UI decisions used to implement those features seems poorly thought out and not on par with the level of detail that I've come to expect from Apple products.

colourfastt
Dec 9, 2011, 09:13 AM
While the OS is reasonably stable, the UI changes in Lion make it a lot harder for someone who was used to having a powerful UI that was reasonably simple.

- Mission Control. Some people like or don't have a problem with Mission Control. Personally, Mission Control sucks and is a huge downgrade from Expose/Space. I can no longer see everything at once because windows cover one another. I can only Expose one Space at a time. Spaces on segregated alone when multiple displays are used. The Spaces icons are now extremely tiny, making it even harder to see what is on each Space and forcing me to swipe through 4-5 spaces to get a clear vision of where things are located.
Maybe this is fine for you. But it sucks ass for anyone that was used to having 40+ windows open at at time spread across 4 - 6 Spaces.

- iCal is remarkably stupid this time with even less functionality than in Snow Leopard combined with a santorum-nasty skin based upon a stupid desk calendar.

- Address Book is now crippled in order to look like my mother's old address book and can now only show 2 columns of information at a time. Thanks for reducing functionality just so Apple can make my computer look something old. Maybe Apple can have Jon Ives put in some vacuum tubes into the hardware to pay homage to the inefficient past.

- The sidebar icons in Finder are now grey, making it harder to find the things I'm looking for (although there are simple hacks to bring them back)

- The "Duplicate" instead of "Save As" is annoying because now I have to selected the old window and close it before I can continue my work

- Versions adds a lot more steps to doing simple, temporary changes to documents (such as checking a formula change in Excel) and heaven help you if you made a change that you didn't want saved and weren't really thinking about.

While Lion may have added a lot of new features, the UI decisions used to implement those features seems poorly thought out and not on par with the level of detail that I've come to expect from Apple products.

Apple has decided to bring its computer products down to the level of its iToys.

Steve's Barber
Dec 9, 2011, 11:25 AM
you have quite a distaste for Lion and you're being vocal to the point that you're trying to scare others into not upgrading in a subtle manner.

I have this power? :eek:

Seriously… you're right on the money. My mission is to keep people I don't know, people I'll never meet, (most I don't care about), all from upgrading to Lion.

Lion is a very good OS and it will only get better.Whatever you say Tim. :)

Maybe Apple can have Jon Ives put in some vacuum tubes into the hardware to pay homage to the inefficient past.

:D:D

My theory: During the development of iOS5 all the crackerjack coders were diverted to that side. Apple then pulled the old crew from the '84 mac division out of retirement to finish Lion.

There's no other explanation. :eek::)

Versions adds a lot more steps to doing simpleI still can't wrap my head around this concept. I can count the number of times on one testicle that I ever wished I could revert to an earlier draft of any document.

Edit: Oh my. We are now down to 78% on the Lion Like-o-Meter. :eek:

maril1111
Dec 9, 2011, 11:30 AM
I like it, now I have reached the point where it actually is better than snow leopard and feels faster too.

klaxamazoo
Dec 9, 2011, 03:19 PM
Apple has decided to bring its computer products down to the level of its iToys.

I think that the problem is that Apple did not address the platform correctly. Except for the new Music and Movies app in iOS5, I think that iOS does an excellent job presenting and handling content in a manner that is based upon the advantages and limitations of the iPhone and iPad single-button, touch-based hardware.

The problem that I have with Lion isn't that they added visual cues from iOS, but rather they added UI processes that are based around the limitation of iOS devices rather than utilizing UI processes that a suitable for a keyboard/mouse paradigm. The processes they implemented are for devices with extremely limited input and output capabilities, and Lion suffers because of these poor decisions.

Badrottie
Dec 9, 2011, 05:55 PM
Lion is nice..so is Snow Leopard too.

ozaz
Dec 10, 2011, 07:15 PM
What I like
* Full disk Filevault and true time-machine compatibility with Filevault (this was the key factor for me upgrading and deciding to stick with Lion)
* Mission control
* Full screen apps - but needs improvement for multi-monitor setups
* Gestures

What I dislike
* The iOS-ification of Mail.app and iCal.app
* Auto-save and Removal of "Save as"
* Resume

scottsjack
Dec 10, 2011, 10:00 PM
Both of my main Macs running Lion seem slower, slighly bogged down, and tend to beachball more than on SL. Both of them occasionally freeze and have to be restarted.

Lion appears to follow the typical Apple new-OS model; lots of problems not present with the previous OS and it takes quite awhile for Apple to make the new OS do some of the same things as well as the old OS did. For a company that needs to make its software work with a surprisingly small number of hardware configurations I find Apple's new software issues baffling.

The main point of the new OS other than more modern security? Probably more content sales opportunities for Apple is what comes to my mind.

You might ask why I bothered so here's why. I wanted to try iCloud. I really don't use it for anything other than syncing with my iPhone. Additionally I don't want my data stored out there somewhere out of my control. iCloud is a current fanboy buzzword and I wanted to try it out accross three machines.

Secondly I use two browsers open at the same time and the ability to resize windows more like Windows is really handy. Control over windows is still not as good as with Windows but it makes the Mac a lot easier to use.

Finally some of the really stupid Lion stuff like no Save-As and the fugly Mail and Calendar don't matter because I use Office 2011.

mobilehaathi
Dec 10, 2011, 10:11 PM
All I want is spaces/expose back....:(

Akarin
Dec 11, 2011, 06:53 AM
Really enjoying it so far... but then again, I never used Snow Leopard. I was on Windows before.

colourfastt
Dec 11, 2011, 07:36 AM
All I want is spaces/expose back....:(

I want a computer OS back, rather than an iToys interface hack.

pcgeek12345
Dec 11, 2011, 07:54 AM
Was a mouse guy, never a big trackpad user......until Lion came along.

Same, my trackpad on my last laptop (PC) was so glitchy and laggy I could barely use it. With the new MBP, that has all changed!

:apple:

TheSuperSteve
Dec 11, 2011, 08:15 AM
I've been playing with OS X Lion on my friend's Macbook and i've never been a huge Mac fan. I've been using Windows PCs and iPods and now iOS devices for a while now as my only Apple stuff. But with OS X Lion, I think i might actually buy a Mac.

Other people might hate it but for me, the more OS X is like iOS, the better.