PDA

View Full Version : your mac persuasion

jer446
May 26, 2005, 08:20 PM
I was wondering.. i just switched to a mac, and i lvoe it, but i get all the time people saying so whats so good about a mac.. what is your responce to this?

puckhead193
May 26, 2005, 08:23 PM
"It just works, no if nor buts, no blue screen of death"

mkrishnan
May 26, 2005, 08:24 PM
I was wondering.. i just switched to a mac, and i lvoe it, but i get all the time people saying so whats so good about a mac.. what is your responce to this?

If people ask me why I use one, I tell them (cute, wanted to play with Unix, cute, matched my iPod, cute) but I don't proselytize.

PlaceofDis
May 26, 2005, 08:30 PM
all i say is because i dont want the hassle of maintaining windows, ususally quiets them down too..... but i dont preach to people...

ericssonboi
May 26, 2005, 08:33 PM
No viruses, no spyware, no problems.
No bluescreen of death.
It works when i want it to work.

dmw007
May 26, 2005, 08:37 PM
Viruses-
Mac OS X= 0
Windows XP= 70,000 (and counting ;))

~Shard~
May 26, 2005, 08:37 PM
The complete package. Hardware and software designed by the same company = GOOD.

And in a word, I would say performance. I always find it amusing when people resort to quoting system performance statistics when trying to justify why a PC machine is better than a Mac machine. Quote all the hardware specs you like, for me performance is measured by the OS, the ease of use, the stability, the software, how productive I can be, and how much fun I can have using my machine - these are the factors that make me rank one machine superior to another - hardware is only one small piece. But that's just me. :cool:

mad jew
May 26, 2005, 08:40 PM
I tell them that you can just press COMMAND-CONTROL-D while the curser is hovering over a word and it'll define it for you. Which is great when mkrishnan is online. ;)

...but I don't proselytize.

G5Unit
May 26, 2005, 08:42 PM
Much more stable

Macky-Mac
May 26, 2005, 08:49 PM
i tell them that all of my files from the last 20 years are in mac formats of one sort or another and that I have several thousand dollars invested in mac software........that usually is enough for them to understand

mkrishnan
May 26, 2005, 09:48 PM
I tell them that you can just press COMMAND-CONTROL-D while the curser is hovering over a word and it'll define it for you. Which is great when mkrishnan is online. ;)

Well, there are a lot of religious crazies in the US, so it's a useful word. :rolleyes:

mad jew
May 26, 2005, 09:52 PM
Well, there are a lot of religious crazies in the US, so it's a useful word. :rolleyes:

I'm impressed. Most words that I don't know, I've usually seen somewhere before, but proselytize is completely new. Thankyou. :)

baummer
May 27, 2005, 12:31 PM
Just explain to them the stability of the OS X platform and the quality construction of the Apple hardware.

As a sidenote, the blue screen of death is pretty much a lame excuse to use anymore. The majority of XP machines I've used in the past 4 years haven't had a BSOD once. If you're talking 95/98/Me/ then of course, but it's pretty rare with XP.

brap
May 27, 2005, 12:49 PM
"It's cool. Whatever."

Apathy, in the face of those wishing to paint oneself with the zealot brush.

yellow
May 27, 2005, 01:44 PM
Because I need to be different then 98 of the other 100 computer users around me.

kgarner
May 27, 2005, 02:25 PM
I say that I haven't found a compelling reason to switch to a PC.

Xtremehkr
May 27, 2005, 03:11 PM
Overall quality and experience. If they have any questions I'll answer them, but I don't try and push Apple on most people. I would like more of my friends to have Apples though, cause there are a lot of things that you can do with other people who have Apples as well.

MacRy
May 27, 2005, 03:13 PM
The hardware looks cool.
The o/s is pretty.
It does just what I want it to do without any undue fuss.
There are no spyware/virus issues to have to deal with.

thequicksilver
May 27, 2005, 03:16 PM
iLife.

Plymouthbreezer
May 27, 2005, 03:17 PM
I'm impressed. Most words that I don't know, I've usually seen somewhere before, but proselytize is completely new. Thankyou. :)I didn't know what it was either... But oh! Just control-command-d and bingo! There it was...

Now, you can't do that on a PC... :p

yellow
May 27, 2005, 03:17 PM
iHate Windows?

iHate the Registry model?

dorqiekat
May 27, 2005, 03:46 PM
it's prettier than yours.

bit.shiftr
May 27, 2005, 03:51 PM
It seems to work closer to the way that is natural for me to work. I've still got a high-end PC, but I find myself naturally drawn to the Mac Systems. The more I use it the more natural it seems. Stability is a big part. I get more work or play done because I'm not spending so much time trying to keep the computer working. When I got my first Mac a year ago I didn't realize there would such a difference or that I would experience this natural draw. It's an interesting journey. I just got my PM less then a month ago.

camomac
May 27, 2005, 04:52 PM
after switching in january, i would have to say the best part of this experience has been - NO virus/spyware problems.

the hardware is beautiful.
the OS is well done.

it doesn't say micro$oft when i turn my computer on anymore.

G5Unit
May 28, 2005, 12:52 AM
Because I need to be different then 98 of the other 100 computer users around me.

And that too.

cooknwitha
May 28, 2005, 02:15 AM
I don't enjoy wasting my time with a computer telling me everything it's not doing with an obnoxious warning message that only contains numbers.

Oh, and they're pretty. :cool:

Abstract
May 28, 2005, 06:08 AM
I'm impressed. Most words that I don't know, I've usually seen somewhere before, but proselytize is completely new. Thankyou. :)

Yeah, seriously, I've never seen it either. How cromulent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromulent#Cromulent_and_Embiggen) of you.

risc
May 28, 2005, 08:51 AM

Best UNIX desktop ever!

mkrishnan
May 28, 2005, 11:23 AM
Yeah, seriously, I've never seen it either. How cromulent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromulent#Cromulent_and_Embiggen) of you.

I felt better when I found out this was a made up word. But it was very Wiki of you! :D

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 28, 2005, 11:30 AM
As a sidenote, the blue screen of death is pretty much a lame excuse to use anymore. The majority of XP machines I've used in the past 4 years haven't had a BSOD once. If you're talking 95/98/Me/ then of course, but it's pretty rare with XP.I found it quite easy to get a PC with first 2000 and later XP to BSOD. Just connect an iPod using a FireWire connector and try transferring 5 GB of music to it... BSOD'ed... every time... the FireWire drivers in Windows are not good... ;)

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 28, 2005, 11:33 AM
I felt better when I found out this was a made up word. But it was very Wiki of you! :DAnother set of made up words can be found in this Black Adder episode (http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/blackadder/epguide/three_ink.shtml), where Black Adder messes with the Dictionary writers head... :D

mkrishnan
May 28, 2005, 11:39 AM
Another set of made up words can be found in this Black Adder episode (http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/blackadder/epguide/three_ink.shtml), where Black Adder messes with the Dictionary writers head... :D

You, sir, are a prime example of why history repeats itself. Bunburyists (http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/earnest/section1.html) have been doing this for years and years! :eek: ;) :D

Mord
May 28, 2005, 12:35 PM

the system wide spellchecker is pretty nice.

GFLPraxis
May 28, 2005, 12:52 PM
Viruses-
Mac OS X= 0
Windows XP= 70,000 (and counting ;))

You're way behind, it's around 90,000 now :D

mymemory
May 28, 2005, 01:04 PM
Because the same company that create the hardware create the system and it make everything more stable and efficient.

On the PC side any manofacturer create their own interface based on any hardware or processor, on the Mac side there are standards.

I remember back in 1997 when the Mac clones came up, the first problem was that each manofacturer was desingning the hardware in a different way and PCI cards didn't work on all 7 models available at that time.

These was actually worst for Apple because people were getting a system with less compatibility yet. You didn't know if the Protools audio card would worlk in your new Powermax tower.

So, I think is when Jobs came back and took away all licences and the iMac came out.

That is the problem you face with the PC side all the time, is a bet to get a system and a software because you do not know if they were tested together, and considering the amount of things in the market your oods are that you will have compatibility issues.

One person create the System
Another one the Hardware
Another one the software
Another one the peripherals based on any or none of them
:eek: That is what you get with your PC.

jsw
May 28, 2005, 01:28 PM
Yeah, the all-seeing spellchecker is fantastic (control-click in a text entry pane, and select Spelling->Check Spelling as You Type).

To me, though, as a user in both "worlds" (work=PC because I must, home=Mac because I can), my favorite thing about the Macs is OS X, and my favorite thing about OS X is how it makes everything seem like it's all one happy family: yes, of course, I use many different apps and OS components, but they all seem more coordinated on OS X than under XP. In geek-speak, I do less context-switching in OS X, and I love that.

If only OS X would let you resize windows from more than the lower freaking right corner (a big plus in Windows' favor - and in nearly any other OS's favor), it'd be darn near perfect in my eyes.

blackpeter
May 28, 2005, 01:43 PM
When they talk about their Dell/IBM, I am careful not to diss their choice (which usually turns them off right away). I say, "Dell/IBM make great computers. The problem is Windows. Viruses. Spyware. Crashing/freezing." They're usually with me from then on.

At that point you can start talking about all the virtues of Apple hardware and software. The ease of use. The beauty of the OS. But the first thing any Mac evangelist must talk about is the inherent flaw of Windows, which is something any PC user is very familiar and frustrated with.