PDA

View Full Version : VLC on MB Air

ET iPhone Home
Dec 9, 2011, 08:29 PM
Thanks for your help.

Tinmania
Dec 9, 2011, 08:50 PM
64bit Intel Mac. The 32/64 version includes both the 32 and 64 bit versions and is a larger download but would also be fine.

Michael

ET iPhone Home
Dec 9, 2011, 08:57 PM
Thanks. Will try now. So it is a player?

Vudoo
Dec 9, 2011, 09:03 PM
It's just a player.

Tinmania
Dec 9, 2011, 09:03 PM
It's primarily a player.

ET iPhone Home
Dec 9, 2011, 09:21 PM
Thanks.

spyguy10709
Dec 9, 2011, 09:33 PM
THANKS.

VLC 64 Bit worked. I thought I'd have to covert each movie file to some sort of other file Mac could read. It was effortless.

Any advice on apps I could use to back up movies on a Mac as the program I use on my PC won't work with the MBAir?

Back up movies from where?
Dvds?

If you want to rip DVDs, use Handbrake, also free.
has these nifty profiles on the right side bar, for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, it's great!

mobilehaathi
Dec 9, 2011, 09:34 PM
THANKS.

VLC 64 Bit worked. I thought I'd have to covert each movie file to some sort of other file Mac could read. It was effortless.

Any advice on apps I could use to back up movies on a Mac as the program I use on my PC won't work with the MBAir?

Time Machine? Carbon Copy Cloner? Just an external HD?

ET iPhone Home
Dec 9, 2011, 10:06 PM
Thanks.

mobilehaathi
Dec 9, 2011, 10:28 PM
Which is user friendly? Handbrake or Carbon Copy Cloner.

Wait, what do you mean by backup?

edit: Ok, i bothered to read the rest of your post. You want to rip your DVDs? RipIt, Handbreak, MacTheRipper...do you want to encode to a particular format or just dump the VOB files? Do you just want to clone an image?

Handbreak can rip/encode sufficiently for my needs...

Roman2K~
Dec 10, 2011, 04:26 AM
It's just a player.

No, it's not "just a player", see the transcoding CLI (http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Streaming_HowTo/Advanced_Streaming_Using_the_Command_Line#transcode) and GUI (http://wiki.videolan.org/Documentation:Streaming_HowTo/Easy_Streaming_Newer_Versions) documentation.

However, VLC is more for transcoding streams. If you want to rip DVDs, you could stream a transcoded version of your DVDs to a file but it's not practical.

I recommend HandBrake (http://handbrake.fr/details.php) for that. The best transcoding app. Both CLI and GUI. Available for OS X, Linux and even crappy ol' Windows.

scarred
Dec 10, 2011, 09:32 AM
I assume you'll be watching them using Battery while travelling, correct? If so, definitely just use Handbrake to convert your movies to m4v at some lower resolution and use Quicktime. I can watch 480p m4vs with Quicktime for a good 6-7 hours. However, if I start watching 720p mkvs with VLC / mplayerx, the battery is basically cut in half.

bobwooderton
Dec 10, 2011, 09:38 AM
Has anyone else encountered visual pixelation/distortion when going into fullscreen mode with VLC? It only occurs during the resizing, after which it is fine.

theSeb
Dec 10, 2011, 12:17 PM
Has anyone else encountered visual pixelation/distortion when going into fullscreen mode with VLC? It only occurs during the resizing, after which it is fine.

Pretty normal

altecXP
Dec 10, 2011, 02:45 PM
How did you use Windows and not know about VLC?

Roman2K~
Dec 10, 2011, 07:27 PM

Good question. Though Windows users have another good open-source video player: Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_Player_Classic_Home_Cinema#Media_Player_Classic_Home_Cinema), which takes full advantage of DxVA (like VLC (http://wiki.videolan.org/VLC_GPU_Decoding#Windows)).

rosemary1
Dec 11, 2011, 02:09 AM
How can I set VLC as my default media player? Quicktime hates almost all my files and constantly right clicking got old fast.

Vudoo
Dec 11, 2011, 10:36 AM
How can I set VLC as my default media player? Quicktime hates almost all my files and constantly right clicking got old fast.

Choose "Get Info" on the File, change the default application to open it with, then click the button "Change All".

convergent
Dec 11, 2011, 03:02 PM
If you want a user friendly way to backup DVD movies, then I'd suggest RipIt.

KnightWRX
Dec 11, 2011, 03:09 PM

Because VLC sucks. On Windows, you just use a codec pack and a proper video player like Media Player Classic. On OS X, you should be using something like MPlayer OS X Extended. Same for Linux really.

orfeas0
Dec 11, 2011, 03:38 PM
Because VLC sucks. On Windows, you just use a codec pack and a proper video player like Media Player Classic. On OS X, you should be using something like MPlayer OS X Extended. Same for Linux really.

VLC plays all my video formats in both mac and windows, why does it suck?

antonis
Dec 11, 2011, 03:58 PM
Actually things on the Mac side are way better than what you know from Windows. There are excellent media players able to play any format and some of them they are so light you can actually play 1080p movies on an older mac laptop. And the most important: They have all the codecs built into the application, no need to bloat your system with bad-quality s/w like windows (i.e. install tens of codecs from unreliable sources in the system=bad idea).

For example, you may start looking at the mac app store for the applications:
mplayerx
movist

The 1st one is free and I use it for just about everything. It's just one click away.

KnightWRX
Dec 11, 2011, 07:17 PM
VLC plays all my video formats in both mac and windows, why does it suck?

Not this again. Use the search function next time.

se9LjFB9Ar0

Menge
Dec 11, 2011, 07:32 PM
I don't get the rage against VLC. It's fine as a video player. That video is SUCH flame bait and aggressive it's absurd.

Your MacBook Air should be fine with VLC.

Handbrake has some nice presets to encode pre-ripped discs. I'm not sure about ripping, though.

KnightWRX
Dec 11, 2011, 07:49 PM
I don't get the rage against VLC. It's fine as a video player. That video is SUCH flame bait and aggressive it's absurd.

Sure it is, but it's right. Can you counter the facts ? Of course not, VLC sucks, there are better options out there. No need to use the worst video player because :

Your MacBook Air should be fine with VLC.

Sure and I'm just fine eating dry bread and water. Doesn't mean I don't aspire to better.

MplayerX or Mplayer OS X Extended are both superior options.

ET iPhone Home
Dec 11, 2011, 08:18 PM
I switched from a PC to Mac recently, When I tried to play movies that I ripped and backed up in an external hare drive, I could not play them. So I went to Best Buy's Geek Squad to inquire and was advised to download VLC. This is how I found about it.

Thanks for your suggestion on Handbrake. I've downloaded the program, but I haven't used it, but will this week. I hope it's user friendly. I want to maintain the best format and resolution possible in my backups so I can give away my dvd's. They're just sitting collecting dust and I don't ever anticipate ever watching them anymore, so I'd rather back up my favorites and give them all away. With Christmas underway, I expect to receive more dvd's. I don't know how I got people to start giving me dvd's. I'm not even a movie buff. And the last time I went to the movies was when I saw 9/11. I think that's the title.

Edit: I remember the last movie I saw at the Theatre, World Trade Center". That was 4 years ago.

Weaselboy
Dec 12, 2011, 12:21 PM

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=se9LjFB9Ar0)

Sure it is, but it's right. Can you counter the facts ? Of course not, VLC sucks, there are better options out there. No need to use the worst video player because :

Sure and I'm just fine eating dry bread and water. Doesn't mean I don't aspire to better.

MplayerX or Mplayer OS X Extended are both superior options.

I prefer Movist (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/movist/id461788075?mt=12) for video playback, but many seem happy with VLC. So you just throw out "it sucks" and expect us to watch a three minute video to decipher your reasoning? No thanks. :rolleyes:

halledise
Dec 12, 2011, 12:47 PM
Movist - as a player - is better than VLC (imho) :D

Roman2K~
Dec 12, 2011, 12:51 PM
Movist - as a player - is better than VLC (imho) :D

Except when it crashes, which is... most of the time. VLC has been rock solid, eating through everything I've fed it. Plus, it renders videos sharper and a bit smoother, using less CPU.

Not to mention, Movist is unmaintained. Last release dates back from April 2010 (http://code.google.com/p/movist/downloads/list).

Weaselboy
Dec 12, 2011, 12:56 PM
I prefer Movist (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/movist/id461788075?mt=12) for video playback, but many seem happy with VLC.

Except when it crashes, which is... most of the time. VLC has been rock solid, eating through everything I've fed it. Please, it renders videos sharper and a bit smoother, using less CPU.

Not to mention, Movist is unmaintained. Last release dates back from April 2010 (http://code.google.com/p/movist/downloads/list).

Incorrect. See the link in my post. Movist is now free in the App store and maintained. Latest release was two weeks ago. I have not had crashing problems with the App store version.

Roman2K~
Dec 12, 2011, 01:05 PM
Incorrect. See the link in my post. Movist is now free in the App store and maintained. Latest release was two weeks ago. I have not had crashing problems with the App store version.

I didn't know that, thanks. Though it costs $5, which I wouldn't mind shelling out if it was still open-source. Do you have a link to their repository or is it closed-source now?

Weaselboy
Dec 12, 2011, 01:07 PM
I didn't know that, thanks. Though it costs $5, which I wouldn't mind shelling out if it was still open-source. Do you have a link to their repository or is it closed-source now?

Whoops... I forgot I paid $5 for it. I believe it is now commercial only.

KnightWRX
Dec 12, 2011, 01:17 PM
So you just throw out "it sucks" and expect us to watch a three minute video to decipher your reasoning? No thanks. :rolleyes:

Fine, I'll save you the 3 minutes :

- Horrible sub title font rendering
- Audio rape while seeking
- no instant pause/play
- bad downscaling
- slow down during seeking
- sub title desynchronization during seeking

Conclusion : People who use VLC and think it's "good enough" just don't know any better. I didn't just throw out "it sucks". It does. That you didn't bother to look at the evidence presented is your own fault.

----------

Save yourself the money. It seems Movist has moved on with version 1.0.0 from their Google code page.

MplayerX and Mplayer OS X extended both still do open source releases outside the MAS for free :

http://code.google.com/p/mplayerosxext/downloads/list
http://mplayerx.org/#Download

Roman2K~
Dec 12, 2011, 01:27 PM
Some .idx + .sub do render with jagged edges but still way readable. The rest, .srt and such, render fine: smooth edges, good default size and position.

Do you mean some sort of screeching? It may have happened once or twice, don't remember the context, but I agree that, even though it must have had a good reason at the time, this should never happen.

- no instant pause/play
Pause / resume have been instant since v1.0. All three points are inherent to how VLC treats files, which I assume you're refering to. VLC sees every kind of input as streams of decodable blocks.

Even a file, which it could do fine grained, instant seeks on, is treated as a stream with just enough read ahead to fill up buffers.

That's why seeks aren't instant and audio takes a while to come back on, it needs to read enough blocks to re-sync. Annoying with files, but understandable as it's also the reason why it's so efficient with other streams (especially downloads still in-progress).

- bad downscaling
What do you mean? Blurry? You can always file a bug report (http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/).

Menge
Dec 12, 2011, 01:49 PM
Subtitles render at the same resolution as the movie in VLC. If you're unhappy with the subtitle rendering, it's not VLC's fault. It's the movie you're playing that is low-res.
Never had that.
- no instant pause/play
It's instant here (VLC 1.1.12)
- bad downscaling
Downscaling? Really?! If you were talking about upscaling, I'd give credit. But downscaling is not something usually done to movies.
Pretty instant for me, here.
Only for the duration of the last line shown before you started seeking. It goes away after that line disappears.
Conclusion : People who use VLC and think it's "good enough" just don't know any better. I didn't just throw out "it sucks". It does. That you didn't bother to look at the evidence presented is your own fault.
The takeaway from this is that you tried VLC back when it had those problems, created the stigma that it was bad and never tried it again.

Again: VLC is fine as a movie player. Your complaints either no longer apply or are simply nitpicking for corner cases (like the subtitle while seeking).

Roman2K~
Dec 12, 2011, 02:03 PM
Downscaling? Really?! If you were talking about upscaling, I'd give credit. But downscaling is not something usually done to movies.
Actually, downscaling is common, like when playing a 1080p video on a MacBook Air display. 1920x1080 => 1366x768 or 1440x900.

Eidorian
Dec 12, 2011, 02:07 PM
I am pretty set on the 1.2.0 and 1.3.0 nightlies for VLC. It is a shame they are not out in stable yet.

Carl Abudephane
Dec 12, 2011, 03:00 PM

Menge
Dec 12, 2011, 03:07 PM
Actually, downscaling is common, like when playing a 1080p video on a MacBook Air display. 1920x1080 => 1366x768 or 1440x900.
Fine. I'll bite: I get no artifacts when downscaling a movie to 50% of its size here which is more than you would do if you were watching a full-HD Bluray. I really don't see why the fuss.

KnightWRX
Dec 12, 2011, 03:08 PM

So you've never watched a 1080p movie on your 1440x900 MBA screen hum ? Why would I download 2 files exactly ? The movie player should be plenty capable of downscaling.

----------

All I care about is that MPlayerX doesn't play my 1080 rips smoothly, but VLC does. One plays them fine, one doesn't.
At least on my 2009 13" MacBook Pro that is.

Probably using a branch of MplayerX that uses FFmpeg standard instead of FFMpeg-mt.

orfeas0
Dec 12, 2011, 03:42 PM

YouTube: video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=se9LjFB9Ar0)

hahahhaa epic video!! I'll try MplayerX but VLC plays fine for me, and when I say fine I don't mean "acceptable". Play/pause doesn't lag, it plays ALL (no exceptions) file types, subs are added automatically (when on the same folder as the movie and with the same name), and it repairs broken avi files (although I don't understand that... maybe they're not broken for other video players, I'll try and tell you).
edit: Yep, they files are only "broken" for vlc. MplayerX plays it fine.

Thanks for the info.
Also, does MplayerX play all video files?

Menge
Dec 12, 2011, 05:55 PM
So you've never watched a 1080p movie on your 1440x900 MBA screen hum ? Why would I download 2 files exactly ? The movie player should be plenty capable of downscaling.
It is capable of downscaling. I've played 1080p videos on my 1280x800 MBP screen and it displays fine and has no visible artifacts or jaggies. I never said you should download different files. But at that level of downscaling, VLC does just as well as other players around.

halledise
Dec 12, 2011, 10:19 PM
Except when it crashes, which is... most of the time.

huh???

Movist fine here on multiple Macs :D

Steve121178
Dec 13, 2011, 03:21 AM
Because VLC sucks.

VLC is a fantastic application and costs nothing. Therefore it definitely does not 'suck'.

Roman2K~
Dec 13, 2011, 03:26 AM
huh???

Movist fine here on multiple Macs :D

The version I tried is the last open-source one from April 2010. Most every bug must have been fixed in the paid, closed-source version on the MacAppStore. But I'm not giving my money to closed-source so I wouldn't know.

VLC is a fantastic application and costs nothing. Therefore it definitely does not 'suck'.
+1. One of the best pieces of software I use on a daily basis.

Not only that, but it's actively maintained. And head developers are extremely talented. They have strong opinions about code quality and this has a direct impact on the patches they accept.

As a bonus, Jean-Baptiste Kempf told me they're making good progress on hardware acceleration of H.264 decoding via OS X's VDADecoder. It won't be part of v1.2 but it's coming soon!

Queen6
Dec 13, 2011, 11:40 PM
I tried most of the players on offer and VLC came out top on CPU usage, there is little to none hardware acceleration on Mac`s outside of Apple`s own QuickTime. The version of Movist I tried was free at the time. One of the key factors is picking a player that will develop alongside the OS, there have been many fantastic players for windows, and equally many have fallen by the wayside due to lack of development.

VLC is by far not the most integrated OS X application, presumably as it grew up on Microsoft`s dominant platform, however in fullscreen it`s simply not an issue and it`s still the fastest (64bit), most efficient player at present for OS X to play MKV`s and will give you the longest battery run time & cooler temps

I would really like some of the more integrated, Apple-esque player catch up on performance, however my observations so far are more CPU cycles and some even running dual process, several being based on one core player. Movist has now gone comercial and it will be interesting to see how it develops as a player, if I see regular updates I will give it a shot, if not then sadly Movist will also be forgotten about...

My only real criticism of VLC is sub title placement other than that it is difficult to fault as it`s a very stable player that has matured over time..

Roman2K~
Dec 14, 2011, 03:53 AM
@Queen6
VLC v1.2 is coming, bringing the following (among other things):

A whole new native OS X GUI with Lion's full-screen mode (optional)
Multicore decoding
Subtitle rendering independently of the resolution of the video

You can try it out in a v1.2 nightly build (http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/macosx-intel/?C=M;O=D). Don't hesitate to file bug reports (http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/) along the way ;).

KnightWRX
Dec 14, 2011, 05:35 AM
@Queen6
[LIST]

Multicore decoding

Mplayer OS X Extended and MplayerX already support this through FFmpeg-mt. If VLC are only now implementing the -mt branch of FFmpeg, they are quite late.

I don't get why Queen6 would say all other players "use more cpu" is a downside. I think using both my cores is an upside of the other players, I can play much higher bitrate/resolution video without having it drop frames (like VLC does to maintain performance).

Roman2K~
Dec 14, 2011, 06:29 AM
Mplayer OS X Extended and MplayerX already support this through FFmpeg-mt. If VLC are only now implementing the -mt branch of FFmpeg, they are quite late.

It has taken a while indeed. But from what I read, the -mt branch wasn't officially stable (namely, not a branch anymore, becoming the SVN trunk) until late match 2011 (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTI0NA). Before that, it wasn't as efficient as the single-threaded version.

I think VLC developers waited for the "stable" status before making it part of the next major release, v1.2. It's been integrated since may 2011 (http://twitter.com/#!/videolan/status/13329999199), in the v1.2 branch nightlies.

About 2 months, not that long actually.

KnightWRX
Dec 14, 2011, 06:35 AM
It has taken a while indeed. But from what I read, the -mt branch wasn't officially stable (namely, not a branch anymore, becoming the SVN trunk) until late match 2011 (http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTI0NA). Before that, it wasn't as efficient as the single-threaded version.

It wasn't as efficient maybe, but I've been using it since it's been available in the different Mplayer releases on OS X. And frankly, what it lacked in "efficiency", it more than made up by using the 2nd core. I'd rather watch a movie fluidly with no dropped frames with 2 cores running at 60% than barely managing to do so with 1 core pegged at 100%.

Tinmania
Dec 14, 2011, 09:44 AM
I don't get why Queen6 would say all other players "use more cpu" is a downside.
Presumably because of battery life when away from a power source.

But other than that I don't see much point in worrying about CPU utilization for an app primarily used to play video (as long as it can play it stutter free). If I am watching a video I am not likely doing much else with the computer. Now if we were talking about a rendering app, then yea better CPU utilization is a big plus.

That said I have never had an issue with VLC. It seems to handle whatever I throw at it. I don't care what its roots are but I certainly remember being frustrated many times under Windows with missing codecs and whatnot (with just about any player--including media player classic).

Michael

Queen6
Dec 14, 2011, 12:22 PM

I don't get why Queen6 would say all other players "use more cpu" is a downside. I think using both my cores is an upside of the other players, I can play much higher bitrate/resolution video without having it drop frames (like VLC does to maintain performance).

VLC does take advantage of multicore`s it`s simply more efficient, which is an entirely different matter, for any portable battery consumption is a primary concern, once you pull the plug ;)

KnightWRX
Dec 14, 2011, 12:24 PM
VLC does take advantage of multicore`s it`s simply more efficient, which is an entirely different matter, for any portable battery consumption is a primary concern, once you pull the plug ;)

Since VLC doesn't use FFMpeg-mt, it doesn't use multi-core for video decoding no.

If you're concerned for battery, you're not watching videos anyhow.

halledise
Dec 14, 2011, 12:53 PM
The version I tried is the last open-source one from April 2010.

that's the version (of Movist) i'm talking about
works fine for me on current Air, early 08 MBPro and a 2007 iMac

Queen6
Dec 14, 2011, 07:04 PM
Since VLC doesn't use FFMpeg-mt, it doesn't use multi-core for video decoding no.

If you're concerned for battery, you're not watching videos anyhow.

Really, I am sat right now at KLIA waiting on the flight to Hong Kong, I can watch a couple of movies while I am waiting on the Quad Core i7 MBP or I can just sit here bored and save my battery....

KnightWRX
Dec 14, 2011, 07:41 PM
Really, I am sat right now at KLIA waiting on the flight to Hong Kong, I can watch a couple of movies while I am waiting on the Quad Core i7 MBP or I can just sit here bored and save my battery....

Or since you're sitting in an airport, equipped for travelers, you can plug your laptop into the outlets provided for such a purpose. :rolleyes:

In the end, if you really wanted to save battery, you'd be using Quicktime with hardware acceleration and watching MP4 movies. That's the most battery efficient way to watch movies on the Mac period.

Queen6
Dec 15, 2011, 07:09 PM
Or since you're sitting in an airport, equipped for travelers, you can plug your laptop into the outlets provided for such a purpose. :rolleyes:

Of course all airports have one power outlet per traveler :rolleyes:

In the end, if you really wanted to save battery, you'd be using Quicktime with hardware acceleration and watching MP4 movies. That's the most battery efficient way to watch movies on the Mac period.

Sure you can, but you don't need to, and converting something like 2.5Tb to Quicktime format may just take a day or two...

If you don't like VLC move on, for the vast majority it`s a perfectly adequate solution, that is stable and has regular updates and offers the best battery life for those that dare to cut the cord ;)

Queen6
Dec 16, 2011, 04:17 AM
@Queen6

A whole new native OS X GUI with Lion's full-screen mode (optional)
Multicore decoding
Subtitle rendering independently of the resolution of the video

You can try it out in a v1.2 nightly build (http://nightlies.videolan.org/build/macosx-intel/?C=M;O=D). Don't hesitate to file bug reports (http://trac.videolan.org/vlc/) along the way ;).

Thx I will have a lt a look the hardware acceleration of H.264 decoding sounds like a major advance, although I don't have any problems with dropped frames on any of the Mac`s presently in the house, ranging from a 2.4Ghz C2D to 2.4 i7 and you won't be pegging that one out in a hurry, given it`s monsterous performance ;)

ET iPhone Home
Dec 18, 2011, 08:08 AM
UPDATE: VLC is working great on the MBA. Now, my attempt with Handbrake (since it was recommended earlier in the thread). I'm just hoping it's user-friendly. I read, it allows you to create different formats to rip, whether it be for iPhone, iPad or PC use. Will i know which one to select for MBA use?

Menge
Dec 18, 2011, 08:17 AM
For the MBA, just choose the High Profile one - which will try and preserve most of the video's quality and original resolution.

If you want to make sure the videos play on the iPad/iPhone/AppleTV you can select AppleTV 2 and it'll keep it at the highest resolution/quality that the video OR iDevices allow :)

ET iPhone Home
Dec 18, 2011, 06:35 PM
For the MBA, just choose the High Profile one - which will try and preserve most of the video's quality and original resolution.

If you want to make sure the videos play on the iPad/iPhone/AppleTV you can select AppleTV 2 and it'll keep it at the highest resolution/quality that the video OR iDevices allow :)

Hey, thanks for taking the time to post. Will try both formats and update as to how well it worked.

ET iPhone Home
Dec 20, 2011, 08:52 PM
VLC and Handbrake are great.

If I select Apple TV 2 in Handbrake, will this then allow me to view the movie in both 4S and iPad devices, yet maintain the highest resolution if I connect my MBA via HDMI to my flat screen LCD TV? Or should I keep the movie at High Profile format and later encode it from High Profile to Apple TV2 should I decide to later watch certain movies on the 4S?

Thank You.

Weaselboy
Dec 21, 2011, 11:36 AM
VLC and Handbrake are great.

If I select Apple TV 2 in Handbrake, will this then allow me to view the movie in both 4S and iPad devices, yet maintain the highest resolution if I connect my MBA via HDMI to my flat screen LCD TV? Or should I keep the movie at High Profile format and later encode it from High Profile to Apple TV2 should I decide to later watch certain movies on the 4S?

Thank You.

ATV2 format will allow you to watch on the ATV and any iOS device. You don't want to encode twice though because each time you lose a little quality.

ET iPhone Home
Dec 21, 2011, 12:10 PM
ATV2 format will allow you to watch on the ATV and any iOS device. You don't want to encode twice though because each time you lose a little quality.

Thanks, but does ATV2 keep it at the most highest resolution (original quality) with minimal compression, as I plan mostly to watch movies on a bigger screen (via HDMI on a MBA). As for smaller devices like the 4S, I was going to encode T.V. Episodes (on DVD), which are 30mins to an 1hr.

Thanks.