Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Hi guys, I've seen youtube videos of people playing Battlefield 3 on a Macbook Pro. I recently got it and installed it on a bootcamp partition (the computer is a 2.2 i7, 1680x1050, 6750m GPU 1gb)

I see most people running it natively at mostly high and getting very decent playable framerate. Right now, at 1280x800 at a mix of low, medium, and some high without AA or AF or even HBAO and motion blur, I'm getting an unplayable 12-25 FPS. Maybe 30ish if I look into the sky but that doesn't do me any good. Because AMD + Apple = Amazing, none of the default drivers work for me. All I know about my drivers is that they were released on 9/8/2011 and are version 8.892 something something, by Microsoft something something. Anyone recommend drivers or places to go? Cause I'm having a terrible time trying to play this game...

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Honestly, those settings sound about right for your machine. My dual processor Mac Pro with a 5870 can't even play anywhere near maxed out settings.

New drivers might help some, but BF3 is a pig.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I keep looking at NoteBookCheck and anything in the HD 6770M area is limited to Low settings at 1366 x 768 to stay playable.

It really destroys my hopes of playing it on the road outside of a Mini-ITX box.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I keep looking at NoteBookCheck and anything in the HD 6770M area is limited to Low settings at 1366 x 768 to stay playable.

It really destroys my hopes of playing it on the road outside of a Mini-ITX box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7XXv6RZ5Q

Notebook Check isn't too reliable. I know this game can play at med high 1680x1050. On high 6770 i've seen it do over 40fps on multiplayer...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG7XXv6RZ5Q

Notebook Check isn't too reliable. I know this game can play at med high 1680x1050. On high 6770 i've seen it do over 40fps on multiplayer...
It is pretty tough to find benchmarks that scale down that low from desktop cards.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/graphics/display/battlefield-3_4.html#sect3

The HD 6670 gets stomped pretty hard at 900p but the AA/AF are cranked up. Otherwise you are looking at a HD 5770 or GTX 460 on up.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graphics-performance,3063-8.html

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-performance/page4.html

PCPer did take the HD 6990M out for a spin.

http://pcper.com/reviews/General-Tech/Battlefield-3-Laptop-Performance-Review-Road-Warrior

To be honest, the game does not look that much better beyond Medium. Even on Low you only need to enable some AA and improve the shadow quality. Bad Company 2 on High is Battlefield 3 on Low otherwise.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
To be honest, the game does not look that much better beyond Medium. Even on Low you only need to enable some AA and improve the shadow quality. Bad Company 2 on High is Battlefield 3 on Low otherwise.

I know what you mean. BF3 actually looks just like BFBC2 except over-exposed and with more contrast...

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I know what you mean. BF3 actually looks just like BFBC2 except over-exposed and with more contrast...
The reused buildings also look better in Battlefield 3. Maybe it is the debris inside of them. I can not quite put my finger on it. My friend made a box fort once.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
lol true. haven't been on my own threads for a while. Thanks!

It's a good netiquette to check own threads, I do read up on my last few threads every time I come here, to see if any of my questions have been answered or if i get additional questions to threads i've answered.

Tombs

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Sutton, Surrey England
Why. Would I do that. There's always the one person who has to come on the threads and say this.

Because your be able to play the game as its should be played in all its glory and the game was designed for the PC not a mac. Its like sticking a jet engine in a car, yes it can be done but thats not what it was designed for.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Because your be able to play the game as its should be played in all its glory and the game was designed for the PC not a mac. Its like sticking a jet engine in a car, yes it can be done but thats not what it was designed for.

Not entirely true, the 6750M is designed for gaming in mind, although it's a laptop chipset with limited shaders and bandwidth it's still designed for gaming.

A more appropriate analogy would be a well trained jogger running New York Marathon, you won't beat Haile Gebrselassie, but you can still finish with a decent time :)

Tombs

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Sutton, Surrey England
Not entirely true, the 6750M is designed for gaming in mind, although it's a laptop chipset with limited shaders and bandwidth it's still designed for gaming.

A more appropriate analogy would be a well trained jogger running New York Marathon, you won't beat Haile Gebrselassie, but you can still finish with a decent time :)

And thats not entirely true either, the 6750m GPU isnt really ideal for "proper" gaming and hardly ideal for todays modern games espcially when you compare it with a GTX 5 series card for example. And its not just the card I'm talking about, you also need to install Win 7 to make most games run on an apple product.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
And thats not entirely true either, the 6750m GPU isnt really ideal for "proper" gaming and hardly ideal for todays modern games espcially when you compare it with a GTX 5 series card for example. And its not just the card I'm talking about, you also need to install Win 7 to make most games run on an apple product.

Not ideal for proper gaming? No modern games? I guess the entire modern warfare series maxed out smooth, diablo 3, space marine, starcraft, I guess those games on high settings and native resolution, that's not proper gaming. Proper gaming is 300+ fps with a monstrous greasy computer that scares children.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Not ideal for proper gaming? No modern games? I guess the entire modern warfare series maxed out smooth, diablo 3, space marine, starcraft, I guess those games on high settings and native resolution, that's not proper gaming. Proper gaming is 300+ fps with a monstrous greasy computer that scares children.
Modern Warfare has been on the same engine since CoD4. Battlefield 3 on Low is really all you should expect out of the HD 6750M. It clocks high but it just lacks shaders. You are looking at the GTX 560M or HD 6850/6870M for higher detail settings.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
Modern Warfare has been on the same engine since CoD4. Battlefield 3 on Low is really all you should expect out of the HD 6750M. It clocks high but it just lacks shaders. You are looking at the GTX 560M or HD 6850/6870M for higher detail settings.

Honestly, most the problem is that Battlefield's 3 engine is extremely bloated and badly written. I've seen a lot of games that look just as good but totally outperform it. 2142 was the same way.

If history is any guide, they'll fix it over time. But right now... It's just awful.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Honestly, most the problem is that Battlefield's 3 engine is extremely bloated and badly written. I've seen a lot of games that look just as good but totally outperform it. 2142 was the same way.

If history is any guide, they'll fix it over time. But right now... It's just awful.
Battlefield 3 does not scale much, if at all, on CPU cores. It works well even under Crossfire/SLI. It is all on the GPU department now.

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
tombs said:

I said it was limited, but still intended for gaming. Radeon is a gaming series of cards, although as I said, the M series are limited compared to the desktop series.

The fact that a mac needs win7 to play most games doesn't change the 6750M, since it is also available for regular PCs. I never said it was a cutting edge card, but a "jogger compared to Haile Gebrselassie". (Incase you didn't know he's win two olympic medals and four times world champion, he also hold the world record in Marathon.)
I think that describes a 6750M to a GTX590 pretty well :D

goMac said:

BF3 is one of the few games that take everything to the limit.
BF3 is also running well on older hardware, compared to Crysis when it came out in 2007.
I have a 2.5 year old GeForce GTX285, which at that time was the best you could get.

No one was even considering running Crysis on decent settings on a 2005 PC.

I think it's good the gaming industry keep up with current hardware, although it's kinda nice to not have to upgrade every year. I'm pretty sure the GTX285 i have will serve me for another year, given it's still twice as fast as the 6750M.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
BF3 is one of the few games that take everything to the limit.

Eh. There are other games that look just as good but run better. BF3 is poorly optimized. Like I said, BF 2142 was the exact same way. Eventually BF2142 was patched to run acceptably. On my old Macbook Pro BF2142 was unplayable at launch. Suddenly a few patches later and it ran acceptably. I didn't upgrade my hardware at all. They just fixed their bloated code.

BF3 is also running well on older hardware, compared to Crysis when it came out in 2007.
I have a 2.5 year old GeForce GTX285, which at that time was the best you could get.

Sure, it can scale down, but that doesn't change that it's still fairly unoptimized.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.