Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
Hi, I'd like to update my drivers on bootcamp from the apple stock drivers, and I'm on an AMD 6750m, however when I download 11.8, or even the recommended *find and download appropriate drivers* options, a window denies me saying that I do not have proper hardware and there's not some graphics adapter. How can I update my AMD 6750m drivers? I'm on Windows 7 64 bit.

E

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi, I'd like to update my drivers on bootcamp from the apple stock drivers, and I'm on an AMD 6750m, however when I download 11.8, or even the recommended *find and download appropriate drivers* options, a window denies me saying that I do not have proper hardware and there's not some graphics adapter. How can I update my AMD 6750m drivers? I'm on Windows 7 64 bit.

E

I'm assuming 11.8 refers to the version of AMD Catalyst. Apple might be using a specialized version of the 6750M GPU at which point, AMD has probably delegated Windows 7 (32/64-bit) driver update distribution to Apple. If 11.8 doesn't refer to the version of Catalyst, you can try installing Steam and updating your driver through it (seeing as Steam for Windows will check for Video Card driver updates). Otherwise, perhaps an earlier version of Catalyst? Check Apple Software Update to see if there's a new version of BootCamp Support for Windows? Reboot into Mac OS X and see if you can download a new drivers disc? These are all things I'd try. Otherwise, it's on Apple and AMD to issue new drivers (for either OS).

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
You have to download the complete package, the one that's about 90MB. However, even the Catalyst 11.9 hasn't been updating my drivers beyond the 11.6 version. Someone had mentioned the hardwareheaven forums as a place to grab drivers that are modified to allow OEM laptops to install reference drivers. I have not tried those modified Catalyst packages.

tyua

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2010
i fail to find the thread where i found that solution :
install the full 11_6 driver package, it seems to "unlock" the ability to upgrade your driver with standard ati mobility driver packages
i then installed 11_8, then 11_9, maybe you can straight install the 11_9 without 11_8
i now have the 8.881.0.0 on my mbp 17' 2011, seems to run just fine

i first tried the hardwareheaven tools but it failed

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Download from this link.

I found it on the notebookcheck forums. The ccc.exe versions of the drivers would not update the driver version or catalyst version beyond 11.6. These ccc_ocl.exe versions DO update the driver version and catalyst version to 11.8. You can try changing the version number in the link if you want 11.9 or whatever.

Attachments

• Catalyst 11.8.jpg
    Catalyst 11.8.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 808

Killery96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
i fail to find the thread where i found that solution :
install the full 11_6 driver package, it seems to "unlock" the ability to upgrade your driver with standard ati mobility driver packages
i then installed 11_8, then 11_9, maybe you can straight install the 11_9 without 11_8
i now have the 8.881.0.0 on my mbp 17' 2011, seems to run just fine

i first tried the hardwareheaven tools but it failed

how can i get 11.6? I don't see download links on AMD's website...

gimmeajo

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2011

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
My only guess is reading in a couple of places that OEM hardware manufacturers (Apple, Dell, HP, etc.) don't like people using reference drivers for their products. I don't know why that is, perhaps because they have one set of drivers that work when the product originally ships. Then they discourage driver updates, because they don't want to have people spend time helping people fix software problems?

The fact that their drivers are being "hidden" on ATI's domain space and not linked to from official web pages seems to at least support the generic explanation that manufacturers don't like people using reference drivers over custom drivers.

Either way, I'll be using the link I posted for any future updates, just changing the version number as they become official.

gh0st911

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
can u guys walk me through this. for some reason its just not working for me. im downloading what you have on the links but it still has me on 11.1 and its not working. please help, thanks

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
These drivers are for the mobile versions of the GPU and for Windows 64-bit (either Vista or 7, but 64-bit). Do you have both?

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I looked at the change log after making that post and it doesn't appear to do anything for BF3 or Skyrim. So, if you already have 11.10 installed, might as well stick with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.