PDA

View Full Version : How many of you think you will go back to MacBook Pro once the refresh comes out?

Kendo
Dec 11, 2011, 07:42 AM
The MacBook Air exploded in popularity after the 2010 models came out but I suspect a lot of users bought it not only because of the SSD and design, but because it was a fresh new Apple product that had us salivating.

If the redesigned MacBook Pro does come out with a complete redesign and is lighter (but not quite as light as a MacBook Air), do you think you will be easily persuaded to go back to the Pro? Or do you think your loyalty is strictly for the Air?

vitzr
Dec 11, 2011, 07:45 AM
I will continue to use both.

maflynn
Dec 11, 2011, 07:54 AM
Or do you think your loyalty is strictly for the Air?
I personally buy a laptop based on need. The Air has some great advantages, and some disadvantages (as does the MBP). When its time for me to replace my laptop, I'll consider which on is best for my needs. I have zero loyalty to a given laptop type :)

theSeb
Dec 11, 2011, 07:56 AM
I'll continue to the use the MBA since it is perfect for my portable uses and I have desktop computers to use at home. I'll upgrade to the 2012 MBA though.

wrinkster22
Dec 11, 2011, 07:59 AM
I will stay with the air. Not because of loyalty of or any of that but because:
-It meets my needs
-I see no need to upgrade when a new model comes out if I am happy with my current unit
-The air will still likely be lighter

If there is a redesign I am assuming that the 13" would be dropped and I am not interested in getting a 15"

johnhurley
Dec 11, 2011, 08:41 AM
If the redesigned MacBook Pro does come out with a complete redesign and is lighter (but not quite as light as a MacBook Air), do you think you will be easily persuaded to go back to the Pro? Or do you think your loyalty is strictly for the Air?

Kind of hard to make wild guesses about potential future product enhancements in either the macbook air line or the macbook pro line that are not yet available ...

Abazigal
Dec 11, 2011, 08:43 AM
Well, it really depends, doesn't it?

For all we know, there may not even be a 13' MBP to go back to (I am expecting it to be subsumed into the 13' MBA offering), and the 15' version would be too bulky to lug around, lighter as it may be.:o

glen e
Dec 11, 2011, 09:15 AM
who the hell has loyalty yo a laptop?

ridiculous....it's all based on need...at that time.

theSeb
Dec 11, 2011, 10:53 AM
who the hell has loyalty yo a laptop?

ridiculous....it's all based on need...at that time.

Agreed. It seems somewhat silly and childish to be loyal to a particular product within a lineup.

boy-better-know
Dec 11, 2011, 11:19 AM
10 times more interested in the next iMac. I want my notebook to be portable so the air is perfect for me, and the iMac is the perfect desktop. The pro doesn't really come into it for me at the moment, who knows bout what i will need in the future though. Like everyone has been saying, it is completely relative.

The air is damn beautiful though. 

palpatine
Dec 11, 2011, 11:34 AM
the mbp will be nice with ivy bridge, no matter what else they do to the lineup, but an air refresh will follow in a few months. i wouldn't see much point in switching to an mbp.

i doubt i will get the mbp. i am quite pleased with the one i have. if i change anything, it will be to add an ssd.

from what i have seen of people's use around me, the sandy bridge processors on the air and mbp are more than sufficient for their needs. it seems to me that we are finally at a point where processors, drives, and ram are exceeding general use needs. obviously, specialized video editing and so forth will still benefit from better processors, but that might be where the mbp goes.

regular folks will get the air and others will get the mbp (kind of like the old macbook / macbook pro distinction)?

pgiguere1
Dec 11, 2011, 11:45 AM
I may. The current graphics in my 2011 MBA don't really fit my needs and I need a FireWire port really bad (damn Sonnet that keep pushing the release of their Thunderbolt adapter).

The thing is, even if they make the MBP thinner and lighter, the 15" will still feel really heavy now that I'm used to a 11" MBA. It will probably stay the lightest model with dedicated graphics, unfortunately. There is a possibility that Apple offer dedicated graphics in the next 13" MBP to differentiate it from the 13" MBA, but I think there's more chance of them merging both together to form a single product that they either call MacBook Air or simply MacBook.

ethics101
Dec 11, 2011, 12:45 PM
I'm just curious what this re-design can bring in terms of external appearance? Internals can change, but for the average person the speed bump won't even be noticeable.

What I can see happening:

-Higher Res Screen
-Ivy Bridge Processors
-SSD Storage
-Built in Apple TV.

abz1981
Dec 11, 2011, 02:33 PM
I would not go for the MBP, as the MBA meets all my needs. Plus going back to a MBP which has no SSD and which has a superdrive, i think i will pass on that. Love how my MBA is so light and does everything i need it to do. So I will be staying with my MBA for as long as it lasts me.

convergent
Dec 11, 2011, 02:53 PM
Not a chance I'll go back to a MBP. The 13" size is the perfect size for my needs, and this thing is crazy fast at everything I throw at it... so no intention of moving back to the bigger machines.

KnightWRX
Dec 11, 2011, 02:56 PM
Or do you think your loyalty is strictly for the Air?

Loyalty to an inanimate object ? :confused:

Heck, my next laptop might not even be an Apple one.

flynz4
Dec 11, 2011, 03:39 PM
Of course I will not know for sure until I see what is introduced. Based on the rumors, I suspect I will continue to use a 27" iMac and 11" MBA combination. For me, it is the best of both worlds (power and mobility).

I am ready to upgrade my 2009 iMac once the new versions are released. I am hoping for a larger HDD (3TB+) and larger SSD sizes as options. A larger than 27" screen would be great too, but I am not expecting that until 2013 at the earliest. I have been buying every version of MBA, and passing my 1yr old machines to other family members. I see no reason to not continue that trend.

My wife and I both decommissioned our 15" MBPs in 2009 and have not missed them one bit.

/Jim

TheJing
Dec 11, 2011, 04:04 PM
I already have both. :)

Neolithium
Dec 11, 2011, 04:29 PM
I can see staying with the MBA. I travel quite a bit, and it seems to meet absolutely all my needs.

russelldirect
Dec 11, 2011, 05:34 PM
I plan on sticking with the MBA until the 2012 refresh with Ivy Bridge comes out. Same form factor with better graphics and battery life? Worth the couple hundred dollars it'll cost after selling this guy.

erasr
Dec 11, 2011, 06:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I massively miss my MBP display. Yes it was lower res but it's quality was far greater in my opinion.

If at the time I could and it was needed, I would go to MBP yes.

ThomasBoss
Dec 11, 2011, 06:52 PM
I cannot afford to buy a new $1000 dollar computer every six months just because it looks shiny and I want it.

ajack
Dec 11, 2011, 07:34 PM
Hey, it's so ridiculous to be loyalty to merely product! MBA, which is not different from any laptop, was made to satisfy our demands. It's not created by any gods to control our life by any means!

I just spend my money on something that could provide satisfaction to my related works. Let's rephrase this: if I spend any cents on somethings that beyond my demands, I consider it as luxury item, but laptop is never worth a luxury item such as clothing, jewelry or watch...

calvol
Dec 12, 2011, 01:11 AM
Here's my plan >
- Keep 2010 MBA (now using for laptop and desktop w/ Dell 21.5" display)
- Spring 2012, buy updated 15" MBP and 27"TBD, use as desktop.
- Summer 2013, buy updated 13 MBA w/ Haswell to replace 2010 Air.

Xikum
Dec 12, 2011, 04:53 AM
I don't see why I would. My MacBook Air does everything I need it to now, and therefore I have no reason to upgrade it (apart from pure consumerism).

I already think I've spent enough on computers recently, I think I'll be giving my bank balance a break ;)

newdeal
Dec 12, 2011, 06:27 AM
if it was just slightly thicker with flash storage, more battery life, and not much heavier, with upgradable ram I would go back to the pro. If they dropped the optical drive they could slim down the pro and make all those things happen so that is definitely within reason

matrix07
Dec 12, 2011, 06:55 AM
Would go to the pro in a heartbeat if it has a (somewhat) retina display.

CyrusKafaiWu
Dec 12, 2011, 05:17 PM
The SSD is the only reason why I purchased a Macbook Air and a good comparable speed to the Pro.

The only way I will jump ship is when Macbook Pro gets an SSD/flash storage and my macbook air gets quite old.

VMMan
Dec 12, 2011, 06:15 PM
you think you will be easily persuaded to go back to the Pro? Or do you think your loyalty is strictly for the Air?

My MBP is my wife, but my MBA is my mistress. I am faithfully an infidel.

KohPhiPhi
Dec 13, 2011, 03:38 PM
I will be upgrading in 2012 no matter what, either to MBP 13" or MBA 13", whichever I like better.

It depends on the MBP line up and how it stacks against MBA. For example, in 2011 it made no sense whatsoever to go MBP over MBA as it hardly had any performance edge at all. If 2012 widens up the performance gap then I might consider the MBP. Otherwise, if they share the same processor, GPU, etc (like 2011), then I will go for MBA.

robvas
Dec 13, 2011, 04:05 PM
If the new Pro has the resolution of the Air, and is still $999 at Microcenter, I'll go back.

jmgregory1
Dec 13, 2011, 04:38 PM
I sort of miss using my 15" mbp - for the screen size, but I love being able to pull out and be mobile with my 13" mba. Like someone else said, I'm more interested in what they'll be changing on the next iMac - which will be the next Mac I get for office use.

What I'd really like Apple to work on is some system that allows you to move from one machine to another - say an iMac in the office to a mba for when you need to travel and have everything transfer seemlessly between the two - including emails you're working on, docs, etc. I'd love to be able to just grab and go or return to the office and not have to transfer files, email, etc when going from mba to iMac.

orfeas0
Dec 13, 2011, 05:15 PM
My MBP is my wife, but my MBA is my mistress. I am faithfully an infidel.

Who did you have your iPhone with-your wife or the mistress? :D

Ztormie
Dec 13, 2011, 05:32 PM
Who did you have your iPhone with-your wife or the mistress? :D

I would rather think that the iPhone is like a dildo in that perspective, very enjoyable to use and easier to have with you, but not quite the sameas the real thing. Oh, and it vibrates ;)

KohPhiPhi
Dec 13, 2011, 10:50 PM
What I'd really like Apple to work on is some system that allows you to move from one machine to another - say an iMac in the office to a mba for when you need to travel and have everything transfer seemlessly between the two - including emails you're working on, docs, etc. I'd love to be able to just grab and go or return to the office and not have to transfer files, email, etc when going from mba to iMac.

That is the very reason as of why I sold my iMac 27" and bought a MBA 13": I was fed up with transferring files back and forth between my desktop and my laptop, and I needed one single solution, so I changed my iMac 27 for MBA 13"+external monitor.

I would LOVE a seamless solution, like a transferable SSD hard drive or something! But, as it stands, a MBA or specially MBP 13" (if they up its performance output) hooked to an external monitor probably gives you the best of both worlds.

David085
Dec 13, 2011, 11:07 PM
If I had a MBA I would use both
I still considering about getting a air next time since it his built in SSD

WissMAN
Dec 13, 2011, 11:17 PM
I travel every week. Weight is paramount...

I miss the DVD Drive but not enough to give up the weight and thin-ness... A little more processor-power, memory and ssd will come before I need it.

I hope...:o

whitesand
Dec 14, 2011, 02:22 AM
Hey, it's so ridiculous to be loyalty to merely product!

I agree

MBA, which is not different from any laptop

Strongly disagree...

Confuzzzed
Dec 14, 2011, 02:45 AM
If the 11" MBA with Ivy Bridge gets me to the promise land of 7 hour battery life, I will be trading in my 13" mid-2011 MBA because the portability of the 11" is unparalleled for a laptop. But no, I won't be going back to MBP. The MBA meets all of my computing needs when I am on the road and for more processor intensive work, I have a Mac mini with an Intel i7 processor and two 7,200rpm hard drives.