PDA

View Full Version : "#%&/%"#/& autosave, how disable or to undo save?

poobear
Dec 11, 2011, 09:17 AM
Lion 10.7.2, all default settings.

A friend just played around with a very important document in Preview.app, draws some red boxes and then closes the file. He expected a "Do you want to save?" dialog that he would say no to, but no everything is autosaved nowadays...

Re-opening the file does not give any undo-option. Local time-machine seems to be off by default, because I don't see any option to go into Time Machine-mode.

* Is not not possible to disable this autosave?!??
* Is previous versions of autosaved files saved anywhere on the system?

* Is the ONLY solution to this problem to activate local time machine in the future?

Thanks

vitzr
Dec 11, 2011, 09:26 AM
Welcome to another example of Apples desire to control your life :)

I'll stick with Snow Leopard, it continues to be my favorite.

As to your issue, I wish you well. Perhaps someone has a patch for that.

waynep
Dec 11, 2011, 09:40 AM
I just tried this to see what happens. Try this . .

Re-open the doc in Preview.app. Look at the top, where the filename is, and click on the filename. Mine drops down a menu that had an option to browse all versions. Click that and I get a Time Machine sort of like interface where I can go back in time and get a previous version. I tried it on the Mac users guide, by highlighting something then restoring a previous version.

wayne

poobear
Dec 11, 2011, 09:44 AM
I just tried this to see what happens. Try this . .

Re-open the doc in Preview.app. Look at the top, where the filename is, and click on the filename. Mine drop down a menu that had an option to browse all version. Click that and I get a Time Machine sort of like interface where I can go back in time and get a previous version. I tried it on the Mac users guide, by highlighting something then restoring a previous version.

wayne
Thanks!!

This worked perfectly.

However, if I go into System Preferences > Time Machine, it is set to off? What do I turn on in the System Preferences if local Time Machine already seems to be activated?

waynep
Dec 11, 2011, 09:51 AM
Thanks!!

This worked perfectly.

However, if I go into System Preferences > Time Machine, it is set to off? What do I turn on in the System Preferences if local Time Machine already seems to be activated?

I guess I don't understand the question. Time Machine is turned off? As far as I know that has nothing to do with versions. What do you want to turn on?

Or do you still want to disable the versioning? That I don't know how to do . . I actually like it.

poobear
Dec 11, 2011, 09:55 AM
I guess I don't understand the question. Time Machine is turned off? As far as I know that has nothing to do with versions. What do you want to turn on?

Or do you still want to disable the versioning? That I don't know how to do . . I actually like it.
Sorry, I didn't know much about Versions. Thought it was just a Time Machine feature.

waynep
Dec 11, 2011, 10:26 AM
Sorry, I didn't know much about Versions. Thought it was just a Time Machine feature.

I think they are separate features. Now that you know how to go back to a previous version do you still dis-like it?

poobear
Dec 11, 2011, 10:28 AM
I think they are separate features. Now that you know how to go back to a previous version do you still dis-like it?
Personally I don't dislike it anymore. However, left-clicking on the name in the title bar is by no mean intuitive. I could ask here, but there must be a way to do it that my mother would find by her own.

old-wiz
Dec 11, 2011, 10:36 AM
Haven't run into the versions shenanigan yet, but this thread gives good info on how to deal with it. I also hate the "locked" files game where if you don't touch a file for months then want to edit it, it warns you about lock..bah.

Partron22
Dec 11, 2011, 10:36 AM
there must be a way to do it that my mother would find by her own.Mothers find the "ask your son" feature quite intuitive. ;)

poobear
Dec 11, 2011, 10:42 AM
Haven't run into the versions shenanigan yet, but this thread gives good info on how to deal with it. I also hate the "locked" files game where if you don't touch a file for months then want to edit it, it warns you about lock..bah.
Although that you can disable in System Preferences > Time Machine > Options > Lock documents

Mothers find the "ask your son" feature quite intuitive. ;)
True :D Ok I restate, there should be a way that a tech-savvy son can find without going to a forum. Why is there no "Browse earlier versions" when I right-click the file? Would be much more intuitive.