PDA

View Full Version : Testing Quote Notifications

arn
Dec 12, 2011, 12:40 AM
We're testing out a new quote notification system.

There may be some bugs, so post here if you see any problems.

1. Note that notifications are not instant, so the badge may take some time to appear, though your quotes should appear in this link right away: http://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=quotenotifications

2. Quotes won't appear until this moment onward.

This can also be accessed from your "Your Notifications" pop down menu in the top right when logged in.

arn

----------

Note that notifications are not instant, they may take some time to appear, though your quotes should appear in this link: http://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=quotenotifications

This can also be accessed from your "Your Notifications" pop down menu in the top right when logged in.

arn

A quick test.

arn

adcx64
Dec 12, 2011, 05:17 AM
Worked fine for me!

Mr. Retrofire
Dec 12, 2011, 08:38 AM
Works, but is pretty useless. Why do we need this feature?

GGJstudios
Dec 12, 2011, 09:06 AM
It works! Very cool! I find it quite useful! Will there be a link on the User CP to access the quote notifications? I notice that once you've looked at them, the notification disappears, so rather than having a separate link to bookmark, it would be great if there was a link on the User CP page. Also, how long will they remain on the notifications list? Will they fall off after a certain number or time frame?

r2shyyou
Dec 12, 2011, 09:09 AM
It works! Very cool! I find it quite useful! Will there be a link on the User CP to access the quote notifications? I notice that once you've looked at them, the notification disappears, so rather than having a separate link to bookmark, it would be great if there was a link on the User CP page. Also, how long will they remain on the notifications list? Will they fall off after a certain number or time frame?

There is already a link in User CP (at the bottom). I haven't been able to test this yet but it should prove quite useful.

GGJstudios
Dec 12, 2011, 09:12 AM
There is already a link in User CP (at the bottom). I haven't been able to test this yet but it should prove quite useful.
Thanks! I missed that! That'll teach me to post before I've finished my first cup of coffee! :D

r2shyyou
Dec 12, 2011, 09:22 AM
1. Note that notifications are not instant, so the badge may take some time to appear...

What do you mean by "badge"? I haven't seen any indicator that my text was quoted. I have to go to User CP>Quote Notifications to see if I've been quoted.

Thanks! I missed that! That'll teach me to post before I've finished my first cup of coffee! :D

The only thing I do before I've finished my first cup of coffee is start my first cup of coffee! :D

GGJstudios
Dec 12, 2011, 09:28 AM
What do you mean by "badge"? I haven't seen any indicator that my text was quoted. I have to go to User CP>Quote Notifications to see if I've been quoted.
First cup finished, so I think I can answer that. I believe the "badge" is the bold "Notifications" that appears in the blue box in the upper right corner of this page, under "Welcome, r2shyyou." and "You last visited: Today at..." It appears under the notification for Private Messages.

Moyank24
Dec 12, 2011, 09:34 AM
First cup finished, so I think I can answer that. I believe the "badge" is the bold "Notifications" that appears in the blue box in the upper right corner of this page, under "Welcome, r2shyyou." and "You last visited: Today at..." It appears under the notification for Private Messages.

That's right...When I first logged on this morning, I actually thought I had a PM. But it was actually a quote notification. I like it!

r2shyyou
Dec 12, 2011, 09:37 AM

Gotcha. That being the case, it's not working for me (I don't get notifications). I can see that my text has been quoted under User CP>Quote Notifications and I checked under User CP>Edit Options and made sure the "Quote Notifications" option was selected but I'm not getting a notification like I do when I get PMs.

Moyank24
Dec 12, 2011, 09:40 AM

1. Note that notifications are not instant, so the badge may take some time to appear, though your quotes should appear in this link right away: http://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=quotenotifications

Gotcha. That being the case, it's not working for me (I don't get notifications). I can see that my text has been quoted under User CP>Quote Notifications and I checked under User CP>Edit Options and made sure the "Quote Notifications" option was selected but I'm not getting a notification like I do when I get PMs.

Looks like the badge notifications aren't instant - so you may be seeing them in your user CP before the badge actually appears.

r2shyyou
Dec 12, 2011, 09:48 AM
Looks like the badge notifications aren't instant - so you may be seeing them in your user CP before the badge actually appears.

I see, thanks!

Oh wait, my text was quoted at 10:12 AM and 10:28 AM, and just now by you, and I still haven't seen a notification. Hmm...has the notification thing worked for you? I'm guessing 30+ minutes is longer than we should expect to wait. In any case, this being a new feature, it wouldn't be surprising if it was still a bit buggy or taking time to filter properly to all users.

Moyank24
Dec 12, 2011, 09:51 AM
I see, thanks!

Oh wait, my text was quoted at 10:12 AM and 10:28 AM, and just now by you, and I still haven't seen a notification. Hmm...has the notification thing worked for you? I'm guessing 30+ minutes is longer than we should expect to wait. In any case, this being a new feature, it wouldn't be surprising if it was still a bit buggy or taking time to filter properly to all users.

When I woke up, I had a quote notification badge - but it was from 3:00AM, so I'm not sure how long it actually took.

GGJstudios
Dec 12, 2011, 09:54 AM
I see, thanks!

Well, arn did say "that notifications are not instant, so the badge may take some time to appear", but they should appear in the Quote Notifications link on the User CP right away. I wouldn't depend on the badge for instant notifications, anyway, since I use Forum Spy to track current activity. Where this is helpful is coming back to the forum after being away for a while or overnight, and wanting to see who quoted me first, so I can respond, as distinguished from activity in threads I'm subscribed to, but where I wasn't quoted.

r2shyyou
Dec 12, 2011, 10:09 AM
When I woke up, I had a quote notification badge - but it was from 3:00AM, so I'm not sure how long it actually took.

Gotcha, thanks again! I'll give it more time.

Well, arn did say "that notifications are not instant, so the badge may take some time to appear", but they should appear in the Quote Notifications link on the User CP right away. I wouldn't depend on the badge for instant notifications, anyway, since I use Forum Spy to track current activity. Where this is helpful is coming back to the forum after being away for a while or overnight, and wanting to see who quoted me first, so I can respond, as distinguished from activity in threads I'm subscribed to, but where I wasn't quoted.

I use Spy pretty much exclusively and have automatic subscriptions so I can see the little checkmark when someone posts in a thread I've posted in but this feature should be helpful to track times where we've actually been directly quoted.

EDIT: My notifications just now appeared. :) Took approximately 45 minutes. Sweet! I like it!

lewis82
Dec 12, 2011, 10:09 AM
I just received one notification. Very cool :)

SandboxGeneral
Dec 12, 2011, 10:17 AM
Very cool, Arn! This is a feature I was looking for a while back but probably never mentioned it before. This will be very useful to be able to respond to a post we were quoted in that we may have otherwise missed.

I've already had one today.

Good job! :)

rdowns
Dec 12, 2011, 10:37 AM
Stumbled on this earlier with 3 of my posts quoted. I like the feature, thanks for implementing it.

Weaselboy
Dec 12, 2011, 11:34 AM
Nice feature. Thanks!

arn
Dec 12, 2011, 01:30 PM
Gotcha, thanks again! I'll give it more time.

I use Spy pretty much exclusively and have automatic subscriptions so I can see the little checkmark when someone posts in a thread I've posted in but this feature should be helpful to track times where we've actually been directly quoted.

EDIT: My notifications just now appeared. :) Took approximately 45 minutes. Sweet! I like it!

The notification delay should be about 10 minutes now.

arn

GGJstudios
Dec 12, 2011, 01:33 PM

arn
Thanks! Any feedback on my earlier question?:
Also, how long will they remain on the notifications list? Will they fall off after a certain number or time frame?

Weaselboy
Dec 12, 2011, 01:40 PM

arn

I made a couple replies, left MR and came back about three minutes later and it showed two thread replies... so it appears to be working in even less then ten minutes.

arn
Dec 12, 2011, 01:50 PM

There looks like a hard limit is in place now with 50 of the last quotes, so we could increase that or add pagination in the future.

arn

Eidorian
Dec 12, 2011, 01:51 PM
Working fine here. I saw the notification and immediately came looking for this thread.

GGJstudios
Dec 12, 2011, 01:55 PM
There looks like a hard limit is in place now with 50 of the last quotes, so we could increase that or add pagination in the future.

arn
Thanks!

BC2009
Dec 12, 2011, 01:56 PM
Hey.... would be good if under "public profile -> Statistics" we could also get "Find all replies to [user-name]" in addition to "Find all posts" and "Find all threads started by"..... I often see a post by somebody that asks a question, but if somebody has already posted an answer, then I don't want to be redundant.

Even better would be "find all replies to this post", so we could avoid the redundancy of folks answering the same question for somebody multiple times.

Just a thought.... I think this new feature is a great start though.

soco
Dec 12, 2011, 01:58 PM
arn, this is fantastic! Thank you for the work put into it.

I'm being misquoted in order to humor those who are testing the quote notification system. Definitely never said this.

stridemat
Dec 12, 2011, 02:11 PM
I like the upgrade. Means I don't have to live of Forum Spy!

AndrewR23
Dec 12, 2011, 02:49 PM
Keep thinking I have PMs.

Don't like it....yet. But I will get used to it.

fun173
Dec 12, 2011, 02:58 PM
someone quote me!! :D

r2shyyou
Dec 12, 2011, 02:59 PM
someone quote me!! :D

Here you go, sir! ;)

arn
Dec 12, 2011, 03:15 PM
Keep thinking I have PMs.

Don't like it....yet. But I will get used to it.

You can turn off the notification portion of it from user control panel.

Edit Options, scroll to bottom to turn off.

arn

fun173
Dec 12, 2011, 03:24 PM
Here you go, sir! ;)

Thank You!! :D

rhett7660
Dec 12, 2011, 05:33 PM
Worked for me... I was surprised when I saw the notification. Pretty cool actually.

SandboxGeneral
Dec 12, 2011, 07:26 PM
Working fine here. I saw the notification and immediately came looking for this thread.

That's exactly what I did! :D

Shrink
Dec 12, 2011, 08:01 PM
This is great!

No emails, no going to my Profile, clicking on Statistics, then clicking on all my post - just quick and easy way to find quotes.

Thanks, arn:D

BTW - How do you delete from Quote Notifications?

kalsta
Dec 12, 2011, 09:02 PM
This is just what I've always wanted! And just in time for Christmas too… Thanks Arn!

Now, while I'm waiting for someone to actually quote me, so I can test it out, I might point out a minor typo on the blank notifications page… It currently reads: 'Sorry, you have no quote noficiations'.

kainjow
Dec 12, 2011, 09:02 PM
Can someone quote this post? :)

I'll give you $5.

dukebound85
Dec 12, 2011, 09:03 PM

I'll give you $5.

ahem;)

GGJstudios
Dec 12, 2011, 09:03 PM

I'll give you $5.
LOL! It's on the house! By the way, if you're testing the new system, you DO know you can quote yourself and get the same results, right?

kalsta
Dec 12, 2011, 09:05 PM

I'll give you $5.

Forward cheque to: kalsta, Australia. I'm sure it will get to me.

Edit: Darn, too slow.

Nameci
Dec 12, 2011, 09:13 PM
It works on here...

kainjow
Dec 12, 2011, 09:13 PM
By the way, if you're testing the new system, you DO know you can quote yourself and get the same results, right?

It looks like you can. It also looks like even if you enter a quote manually, without the post ID part of it, it still gets registered.

It generates duplicate/extra notifications when your consecutive posts get merged automatically...

kalsta
Dec 12, 2011, 09:19 PM
By the way, if you're testing the new system, you DO know you can quote yourself and get the same results, right?

Self-gratification is never quite the same though.

arkitect
Dec 13, 2011, 07:30 AM
Definitely a far more useful feature than the Up or Down votes. ;)

Thanks! :)

GoCubsGo
Dec 13, 2011, 07:32 AM
Now this is a feature I can get behind. It seems to work rather well and for those of us who post and bail, it is also nice. :) Hopefully this will take off so much that it kills stupid ass voting system. :D

arkitect
Dec 13, 2011, 07:42 AM
Self-gratification is never quite the same though.

I'd say "you're holding it wrong"… but that's just my opinion.
;)

Hellhammer
Dec 13, 2011, 10:35 AM
LOL! It's on the house! By the way, if you're testing the new system, you DO know you can quote yourself and get the same results, right?

Why do it yourself when you can make others do it for you? ;)

GGJstudios
Dec 13, 2011, 01:20 PM
Why do it yourself when you can make others do it for you? ;)
Because doing it yourself doesn't cost 5 bucks and doesn't force your cat to beg! :D

kalsta
Dec 13, 2011, 06:37 PM
I'd say "you're holding it wrong"… but that's just my opinion.
;)

This may be the first time I've actually laughed at that quote! Well played. :)

TheJing
Dec 14, 2011, 08:53 AM
Excellent feature! It has worked perfectly for me so far.

justinfreid
Dec 14, 2011, 10:37 AM

arn

----------

A quick test.

arn

Nice job, I was notified of the change because you quoted me in an earlier thread.
Email notifications of a quote would be the icing on the cake. Thanks.

vitzr
Dec 14, 2011, 11:36 PM
Thanks arn, this is a fantastic feature!

I'm really impressed with it's usefullness. To say I'm enthused is an understatement. Long before I saw this thread I noticed my first notification this morning, it performed flawlessly all day.

I'm so happy with it, I sought out this thread so I could say...

iBlue
Dec 15, 2011, 04:16 AM
... It also looks like even if you enter a quote manually, without the post ID part of it, it still gets registered.

Interesting...

:D

(sorry)

RedTomato
Dec 15, 2011, 09:25 AM
Nice. It'll be nice to know that others are appreciative of my deathless immortal prose. Let's check:

Sorry, you have no quote noficiations.

Um. What's a 'noficiation'?

andalusia
Dec 15, 2011, 09:31 AM
Um. What's a 'noficiation'?

It's what the boring people get when nobody quotes them :(

kainjow
Dec 15, 2011, 09:52 AM
interesting...

:d

(sorry)

Damn you! :D

Tilpots
Dec 18, 2011, 08:29 PM
Love this feature! Thanks!!!

chrono1081
Dec 20, 2011, 07:05 AM
I love this feature! And here I thought I was getting warned by a Mod for something :p

nouveau
Dec 20, 2011, 08:41 PM
Love this feature! Thanks!!!

Sorry to pick on you Tilpots, just making sure you get the most out of it :D

Tilpots
Dec 20, 2011, 09:55 PM

I can confirm the system works. :rolleyes:

grapes911
Dec 21, 2011, 08:40 AM
I love this feature! And here I thought I was getting warned by a Mod for something :p

I'm sure we can hook that up too. We'll send you an automated warning whenever you post. Every 10 warnings/posts will result in an automated TO. :p

chrono1081
Dec 21, 2011, 01:46 PM
I'm sure we can hook that up too. We'll send you an automated warning whenever you post. Every 10 warnings/posts will result in an automated TO. :p

Oh I've managed to get plenty on my own. Thanks for the offer though :p

iBlue
Dec 23, 2011, 01:48 AM

WOW, what an original idea!!! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14012427#post14012427)

simsaladimbamba
Dec 24, 2011, 05:46 AM
Nice feature, though I also got a quote notification for a thread, that has already been deleted (the "forum feedback" thread from an hour ago or so), as it was SPAM.

----------

WOW, what an original idea!!! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=14012427#post14012427)

Your quoting didn't break the page formatting though. You have to give nouveau that. Maybe there should be a TQUOTE tag?