PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft OneNote Arrives on iPad

MacRumors
Dec 12, 2011, 04:15 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/12/microsoft-onenote-arrives-on-ipad/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/onenote-150x150.jpg

Microsoft's Office team introduced an iPhone version (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/01/18/microsofts-office-team-steps-onto-ios-with-onenote/) of OneNote to-do/notes application earlier this year, and has now followed it up with an iPad edition (http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-onenote/archive/2011/12/12/onenote-for-ios-gets-new-features-arrives-in-new-markets-worldwide.aspx).
Whether you need to track and share shopping lists, gift-giving plans, recipe clippings and collections, or event and travel planning, you'll never forget or miss a thing with OneNote by your side.

What's new in this version

OneNote for iOS builds on previous releases with the following new features in version 1.3:

- Support for iPad and iPad 2
- Localization into several new languages and markets
- Tabbed user interface
- Quick note creation in the Unfiled Notes section
- Table rendering
- Improved Windows Live sign-in experience
- Option to sync notebooks only over a Wi-Fi connection
- Integrated upgrade optionhttp://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/12/onenotescreenie.jpg

New for the latest edition of OneNote is a limit on how many notes can be created in the free edition. Now, up to 500 notes is free for all users, but to unlock unlimited functionality is unlocked via in-app purchase, $4.99 on the iPhone and $14.99 on the iPad.

OneNote is free on the App store for the iPad [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-onenote-for-ipad/id478105721?mt=8)] or the iPhone [Direct Link (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/microsoft-onenote/id410395246?mt=8)].

Article Link: Microsoft OneNote Arrives on iPad (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/12/microsoft-onenote-arrives-on-ipad/)

Unggoy Murderer
Dec 12, 2011, 04:20 PM
Hehe, wow! In my opinion, OneNote is probably one of the best Office Applications out there, particularly for students. I can see that being a pretty big hit if Microsoft have done a good job =]

Twinsbb17
Dec 12, 2011, 04:20 PM
The heck with the iPad app. I want the desktop app so I can take some badass law school notes in something better than Word.

Amazing Iceman
Dec 12, 2011, 04:23 PM
Interesting... It kind of confirms Microsoft's interest to bring their office suite to iOS. Only time will tell...

----------

Hehe, wow! In my opinion, OneNote is probably one of the best Office Applications out there, particularly for students. I can see that being a pretty big hit if Microsoft have done a good job =]

Is there anything comparable to it in iOS? Well, the OneNote advantage is also having a Windows version of it.

*LTD*
Dec 12, 2011, 04:41 PM
What's the big advantage of something like this over, say, OmniFocus, 2Do, or any of the full-featured ToDo/Note-taking apps for iOS already that sync with the cloud? There are some substantial ones for iOS, especially for the iPad.

Jayomat
Dec 12, 2011, 05:01 PM
What's the big advantage of something like this over, say, OmniFocus, 2Do, or any of the full-featured ToDo/Note-taking apps for iOS already that sync with the cloud? There are some substantial ones for iOS, especially for the iPad.

do you even know what OneNote is and what it does? they are made for entirely different tasks ..

ekdor
Dec 12, 2011, 05:06 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Another M$ app to avoid.

VPrime
Dec 12, 2011, 05:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Another M$ app to avoid.

Ignorance

roadbloc
Dec 12, 2011, 05:25 PM
Excellent. Now bring it to OS X please.

*LTD*
Dec 12, 2011, 05:29 PM
do you even know what OneNote is and what it does? they are made for entirely different tasks ..

It looks like Evernote with some collab features.

Tell me why it's a big deal. Who knows, I might just buy it.

matt18012
Dec 12, 2011, 05:58 PM
Can you create notebooks in this app? I can't figure out how to do it.

Zaqfalcon
Dec 12, 2011, 06:28 PM
Can you create notebooks in this app? I can't figure out how to do it.

Ditto.

Looks like you can't add new notebooks on the iPad and can only do this from within Skydrive online or OneNote for PC. This seems exceptionally stupid if you can't do something as simple as this.

A pity as, although I've enjoyed using Evernote on the iPad, I'm not permitted to add the application to my desktop at work (or OneNote for that ), but I can access Skydrive online.

Unless they add this basic function this is a FAIL from me.

tmagman
Dec 12, 2011, 06:47 PM

amen to that. It was my staple app in high school but once i switched to os x in university i missed it a lot.

Jayomat
Dec 12, 2011, 06:48 PM
It looks like Evernote with some collab features.

Tell me why it's a big deal. Who knows, I might just buy it.

First and foremost it's a free-form note-taking application, not a Task-Manager, which is a huge difference. This alone makes the comparison to OmniFocus invalid, as OmniFocus is a full-blown Task-Manager, not a Note-Taking-Tool. 2Do is basically an application to manage arrays of text input (a list with strings). Of course it adds functionality like marking things as done etc., but at it's core it's just a fancy list.

As I stated in the first sentence, OneNote is a free-form note-taking app. That means that the program logic does not force you to use predetermined spaces (Views) to input data. Consequently you can just click anywhere on your "page" and start typing stuff. But not only that, as you can also cut, copy and paste from nearly anywhere and put it into your page as well. You could, for example, enter some text and press a button inside OneNote which lets you cut and paste anything thats visible on the screen. It's kinda hard to explain without going further into details, but OneNote is basically the nearest you can get to a piece of paper which you can obviously use to write down anything you want, anywhere you want (which is huge in order to arrange text, pictures etc. the way YOU want).

Besides Excel, OneNote is the best application Microsoft has ever written, and that's not because it's very complex, but it works flawlessly and very straight forward. Especially if you have a tablet-Pc, you'll LOVE OneNote!:cool:

If they didn't implemented the "free-form" aspect of the desktop app, I don't see "any" benefits besides Windows support though:rolleyes:

Dec 12, 2011, 06:58 PM
First and foremost it's a free-form note-taking application, not a Task-Manager, which is a huge difference. This alone makes the comparison to OmniFocus invalid, as OmniFocus is a full-blown Task-Manager, not a Note-Taking-Tool. 2Do is basically an application to manage arrays of text input (a list with strings). Of course it adds functionality like marking things as done etc., but at it's core it's just a fancy list.

As I stated in the first sentence, OneNote is a free-form note-taking app. That means that the program logic does not force you to use predetermined spaces (Views) to input data. Consequently you can just click anywhere on your "page" and start typing stuff. But not only that, as you can also cut, copy and paste from nearly anywhere and put it into your page as well. You could, for example, enter some text and press a button inside OneNote which lets you cut and paste anything thats visible on the screen. It's kinda hard to explain without going further into details, but OneNote is basically the nearest you can get to a piece of paper which you can obviously use to write down anything you want, anywhere you want (which is huge in order to arrange text, pictures etc. the way YOU want).

Besides Excel, OneNote is the best application Microsoft has ever written, and that's not because it's very complex, but it works flawlessly and very straight forward. Especially if you have a tablet-Pc, you'll LOVE OneNote!:cool:

If they didn't implemented the "free-form" aspect of the desktop app, I don't see "any" benefits besides Windows support though:rolleyes:

And how many millions of free-form note-taking apps already exist for iPad? Just asking, mind you...:rolleyes:

*LTD*
Dec 12, 2011, 07:04 PM

Besides Excel, OneNote is the best application Microsoft has ever written, and that's not because it's very complex, but it works flawlessly and very straight forward.

If they didn't implemented the "free-form" aspect of the desktop app, I don't see "any" benefits besides Windows support though :roll eyes:

Mental Note, PaperDesk, Organizer HD, Notability, Penultimate, Awesome Note HD, etc. There are too many to mention. I own some of them.

I'm sure OneNote will be near the top of the heap with those features, but it will certainly not be without some stiff competition. However, I'm quite interested to see what it will bring to the table. It's already on the App Store, too. Nice to see it's a free download with the option to upgrade in-app.

I WAS the one
Dec 12, 2011, 07:12 PM
Awesome Notes has been part of my iPad life for so long that I don't need nothing more. it looks good, it sync, it let you make To Do Lists, and also include a Diary version note feature just for free... so... to hell with others LONG LIVE AWESOME NOTES!!! ;)

Amazing Iceman
Dec 12, 2011, 07:43 PM
Awesome Notes has been part of my iPad life for so long that I don't need nothing more. it looks good, it sync, it let you make To Do Lists, and also include a Diary version note feature just for free... so... to hell with others LONG LIVE AWESOME NOTES!!! ;)

I have several note taking apps, many of these I have removed from my iPad. I haven't tried Awesome Note HD yet, I'll take a look.

I still haven't found the perfect note taking app.
IMO, it should use PDF as its native file format.

FroMann
Dec 12, 2011, 08:18 PM
Cool, but bring one out for OSX users Microsoft! I bought Office 2011 but it doesn't have one note!

jent
Dec 12, 2011, 09:22 PM
I don't understand why more developers don't make universal iOS apps, having a single app for iPad and iPhone/iPod touch. Especially if it's free. Does anyone know why this might be?

cubist
Dec 12, 2011, 09:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd be happy if the Notes app that comes with iOS would work properly, but lately it has been overwriting updated notes with old versions when I sync. I tried a couple of other apps but all have serious limitations.

Sardonick007
Dec 12, 2011, 09:51 PM
I've been waiting for this app since I switched to Mac a while back. This is a disgrace in terms of apps. Magicalpad does what Onenote should have been doing all along. MS blew it on this version. Hopefully they will bring it up to speed because there's no reason the iPad version can't do what the desktop version does.

cclboss
Dec 12, 2011, 10:23 PM
I haven't downloaded this to take a look but seeing some of the comments that there is no OS X client at the moment doesn't bode well for this. I use Evernote extensively and there is a client for OS X, iPad and iPhone so is there any compelling reason for me to try OneNote. Wouldn't mind giving it a go but there's gotta be some upside before I take the plunge. :confused:

bniu
Dec 12, 2011, 10:39 PM

Another M$ app to avoid.

as much as an Apple fan I am, Microsoft makes some quality stuff. Windows 7 is actually pretty nice and I use it every now and then. Xbox 360 kinect is pretty interesting, and no one makes better productivity software than Microsoft right now.

someone28624
Dec 12, 2011, 10:48 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'd be happy if the Notes app that comes with iOS would work properly, but lately it has been overwriting updated notes with old versions when I sync. I tried a couple of other apps but all have serious limitations.

Your question is valid, and one I wonder about also, but for this app specifically, it's more of a "freemium" app as there's a $15 in app purchase required if you use more than a certain amount.

jaimeastin
Dec 13, 2011, 12:21 AM
Good app update. Been tired of using the iPhone version. I use this with my windows phone and on my desktop. The only way I know how to create new notebooks is on the desktop version.

I use this for client meetings and personally. Syncs perfectly across devices. Shoot, the iOS app work best outside of the desktop version.

Overall good app...

aberrero
Dec 13, 2011, 01:48 AM
I would have killed for this in college.

I think I might go back to school now just to use it.

Jayomat
Dec 13, 2011, 02:44 AM
And how many millions of free-form note-taking apps already exist for iPad? Just asking, mind you...:rolleyes:

Mental Note, PaperDesk, Organizer HD, Notability, Penultimate, Awesome Note HD, etc. There are too many to mention. I own some of them.

I'm sure OneNote will be near the top of the heap with those features, but it will certainly not be without some stiff competition. However, I'm quite interested to see what it will bring to the table. It's already on the App Store, too. Nice to see it's a free download with the option to upgrade in-app.

Initially, I was responding to your question why OneNote is different than 2Do and OmniFocus, which implied that you didn't understand the fundamental difference between those two programs (Taskmanagers) and OneNote (Note-Taking). It seems you did some research and educated yourself. That's pretty much all I can ask for ;)

EricSch
Dec 13, 2011, 03:51 AM
No formatting support?
All my formatting is lost on iPad. One of the main strengths of OneNote is that you can write anywhere on a page. Much like on a paper. Almost all of my notes are made in this manner. So, the layout of page is important.
What MS were thinking when released this app? Its good for iPhone for some usages, like shopping lists, but the same version for iPad......
I must tell that competitors did their job better.
Take a look at Aqrate Outline. This app is perfect as reader and promises to be a perfect OneNote client for iPad when they add sync and editing.

NightFox
Dec 13, 2011, 03:57 AM
Whenever a OneNote story comes up on here, everybody who's never used it can't understand what the difference is between OneNote and any of the other myriad notetaker apps out there, and if you just look at the descriptions that's understandable. However, ask anyone who uses OneNote to its full potential and they'll tell you nothing comes close.

You can use OneNote on OS X, there is an online version. However, it really is an inferior product to the Windows installed version; once again I hope that this is an indicator that we will one day see a true OS X version.

farleysmaster
Dec 13, 2011, 07:11 AM

Evernote is not a task manager/to-do list, so I don't see how this answers the question.

theSeb
Dec 13, 2011, 08:29 AM

Agreed. One Note is probably the best thing MS has created in recent years.

----------

Couldn't agree more. I was hoping that Evernote would be a worthy replacement, but it's not.

Fraaaa
Dec 13, 2011, 09:08 AM
I started using Evernote which is free, so probably I won't be invest in OneNote unless there will be some feature that might be useful or necessary to be at some point.

Here's a video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHFMQeEjPZ4) of OneNote on Windows Phone. Around 7 minutes he uses the iPad app.

Anyone can tell me the quote of changing tool when are outdone or something?

morespce54
Dec 13, 2011, 12:06 PM
Agreed. One Note (the desktop version for Windows) is probably the best thing MS has created in recent years.

Fixed that for you. ;)

Erlang
Dec 13, 2011, 01:17 PM
I will give it a try, I loved OneNote on Windows and missed it like hell on OSX, but finally found Growly Notes (http://growlybird.com/GrowlyBird/Notes.html) which is an almost perfect subsitute for OneNote on OSX. Eventually MS might clue up to the market share they are missing.

Jayomat
Dec 13, 2011, 08:17 PM
Evernote is not a task manager/to-do list, so I don't see how this answers the question.

Do you mind reading his initial post? I responded to the following

... I hope that you can put the rest together by, say, reading things in a chronological order ... give it a try mate, it's not that hard

SiriusExcelsior
Dec 13, 2011, 11:22 PM
No formatting support?
All my formatting is lost on iPad. One of the main strengths of OneNote is that you can write anywhere on a page. Much like on a paper. Almost all of my notes are made in this manner. So, the layout of page is important.
What MS were thinking when released this app?

When MS released OneNote Mobile for WinMo 6 I was so excited (I'd used it on Windows before).. then I tried it out.. and never used it since. It was basically Word Mobile with less formatting options, and Notes with no free-form writing. Worst of both programs.

The new OneNote for WinPhone 7 is slightly better (checklists yay!! :rolleyes:), but doesn't look much more promising: No free-form note taking there either.

Looks like the iPad version isn't worthy of the OneNote name either..

alphaod
Dec 15, 2011, 12:24 AM
OneNote is one of the main reasons I spent a lot of money on Wacom digitizer enabled tablet computers over the years. Very good product and highly functional. I imagine I would need a pen of some sort for this app? Because I can't imagine writing with my fingers to be very accurate.

Daysight
Dec 15, 2011, 05:40 AM
Love OneNote. It was one of the reasons I installed Parallels and Windows on my iMac when I switched recently. Simplenote and Notational Velocity work so well on my iMac that I find myself unfortunately defaulting to it all the time, but still use OneNote.

Aside from lost formatting in the iPad and iPhone versions (I am only trying the free versions for now owing to the cost of buying separate apps and upgrading OneNote then switching to cloud instead of local storage) is the lack of web-snipping to OneNote. A very useful feature.

I like OneNote much better than Evernote mainly because information seems much easier to get at in OneNote than EN. The tabbed "binder" metaphor works very well for me.

BlackTofu
Dec 16, 2011, 12:49 AM
Actually this app is meaningless to me... I have never used this program in Windows.

loby
Dec 18, 2011, 09:47 PM
Growly Notes is a wonderful program and is a great substitute for One Note. I hope the coder will continue to work on it. It is the closet program to One Note that I have found. Especially...it is "free". :apple:

talmy
Dec 19, 2011, 10:12 AM
I've used One Note at work (Windows based environment) and while I would have liked to see a OS X version I've been happier using Circus Ponies Notebook on my Mac than One Note on the work PC. So much happier that I now bring my Macbook to work just so I can use Notebook. YMMV, of course, but I find Notebook more flexible and easier to use.