Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
I removed hibernation, and deleted the 4GB file from my MBA, is it possible to get it back? I want to see if it saves any battery by having it go into hibernation instead of just sleep.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
How did you turn off hibernation? Generally, just do the same, but in reverse or with one different setting. For instance, if you did it via a Terminal command, usually you'll change TRUE to FALSE, 1 to 0, or something similar.

jW

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008
did it via terminal, but I also deleted the 4GB~ file, will it just recreate?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It will just recreate the file. Also, look into the pref pane "SmartSleep". It allows you to easily set your sleep mode.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
It won't change your battery life. Once the MBA writes the sleepimage, it goes into the exact same sleep mode it goes into right now. The sleepimage is really only for when it runs out of power, or goes into deep sleep mode just before running out of power.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You could set your Macbook Air to hibernate only. In this mode it writes the contents of the ram to the disk then turns off the system. Then when you press the power button to turn it back on, it'll read in the disc contents and put you back to where you where. It uses no battery life in hibernation only mode.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
You could set your Macbook Air to hibernate only. In this mode it writes the contents of the ram to the disk then turns off the system. Then when you press the power button to turn it back on, it'll read in the disc contents and put you back to where you where. It uses no battery life in hibernation only mode.

Sage advice.

I use mine this way as well. It also seems a bit faster than sleep.

vivithemage

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2008

How long does it take to come out? Where can I enable this as well? I will run :

sudo pmset hibernatemode 1

to turn it back on, but how do I tell the MBA to hibernate with 15 minutes of inactivity and not just sleep?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.