How to get back hibernation?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by vivithemage, Dec 12, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

I removed hibernation, and deleted the 4GB file from my MBA, is it possible to get it back? I want to see if it saves any battery by having it go into hibernation instead of just sleep.

2. Mal
    macrumors 603

Mal

How did you turn off hibernation? Generally, just do the same, but in reverse or with one different setting. For instance, if you did it via a Terminal command, usually you'll change TRUE to FALSE, 1 to 0, or something similar.

jW

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

did it via terminal, but I also deleted the 4GB~ file, will it just recreate?

4. macrumors P6

Intell

It will just recreate the file. Also, look into the pref pane "SmartSleep". It allows you to easily set your sleep mode.

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

6. macrumors G3

roadbloc

7. macrumors 68030

It won't change your battery life. Once the MBA writes the sleepimage, it goes into the exact same sleep mode it goes into right now. The sleepimage is really only for when it runs out of power, or goes into deep sleep mode just before running out of power.

8. macrumors P6

Intell

You could set your Macbook Air to hibernate only. In this mode it writes the contents of the ram to the disk then turns off the system. Then when you press the power button to turn it back on, it'll read in the disc contents and put you back to where you where. It uses no battery life in hibernation only mode.

9. macrumors 68030

vitzr

Sage advice.

I use mine this way as well. It also seems a bit faster than sleep.

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

How long does it take to come out? Where can I enable this as well? I will run :

sudo pmset hibernatemode 1

to turn it back on, but how do I tell the MBA to hibernate with 15 minutes of inactivity and not just sleep?