Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deepakvrao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
India
Just switching to Mac, and I have old ext HD drives formatted in NTFS. They are seen and mount on a Mac with Snow Leopard, but on my new Macs with Lion they don't show in Finder. They do show in disc utility though.

Curious to know why. As it is, as I migrate the data, I will reformat all my externals to Mac.

I have Paragon installed on Lion but not on the SL machine, and I know that Paragon is required to write and not just to read/see the drive.

Any ideas?

deepakvrao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
India
Seen that in my search but that's not the issue. The SL machine does NOT have Paragon on it and it still can see the drive in Finder, but the Lion with or without Paragon just does not show the drive in Finder.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Seen that in my search but that's not the issue. The SL machine does NOT have Paragon on it and it still can see the drive in Finder, but the Lion with or without Paragon just does not show the drive in Finder.
Have you tried the uninstall/reinstall process, anyway? If the SL box doesn't have Paragon, but the Lion box does, it's possible the Paragon installation is faulty, causing a problem that doesn't exist on the non-Paragon box. I would do it just to eliminate that as a possibility. Also, did you try deleting the ufsd.fs file?

deepakvrao

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 16, 2011
India
Funny, when I try to uninstall, it says it was not installed in the first place. Anyway, it's pretty much curiosity as I'll soon format all drives to Mac OS.

Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.