PDA

View Full Version : Silicone keyboard covers, anyone?

nooboob
Dec 13, 2011, 06:11 PM
Is anyone using a silicone keyboard cover? Just wondering seeing how I've heard that the fans, which vent air ventilation from the keyboards, would spin faster or not get enough air intake. Debating whether or not to get one...

GGJstudios
Dec 13, 2011, 06:12 PM
Is anyone using a silicone keyboard cover? Just wondering seeing how I've heard that the fans, which vent air ventilation from the keyboards, would spin faster or not get enough air intake. Debating whether or not to get one...
No air is vented through the keyboard. There is a solid sheet under the keyboard, preventing any meaningful air flow. All venting is through the rear vents near the hinge. That's why Mac notebooks can operate in clamshell mode, with the lid closed.

Thnkdifferent
Dec 13, 2011, 06:13 PM
I was satisfied with mine but I was constantly cleaning my screen because it would leave a residue on the display. If you dont mind that then I'd say go for it.

jkim3691
Dec 14, 2011, 12:52 AM
The real problem is finding one that fits over the current latest MBA. I had to get one that's for Snow Leopard on the old one.

DaLurker
Dec 14, 2011, 10:14 AM
Tried it for a couple of days, but ended up removing it. Didn't like the feel.

daonesteven
Dec 14, 2011, 12:55 PM
Tried it for a couple of days, but ended up removing it. Didn't like the feel.

ditto

The Samurai
Dec 14, 2011, 01:25 PM
I've reviewed the iSkin here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6cc--d4ZiY). Fits on nicely. Only downside is that the light from the backlit keys doesn't shine on top so its not ideal for night usage. That said, they do have an entire range so just go with a see through one.

KPOM
Dec 14, 2011, 09:33 PM
On airplanes I use a Rearth silicone cover. It's pretty small, and it holds up well.

gerbil
Dec 14, 2011, 09:49 PM
I use a Moshi keyboard cover. Thin and fits my 11" MBA very well. Transparent so you see the keyboard light up. I love my coffee and I've already seen two threads on here in the past two days about spills on their Macs so I'm going to play it safe.

tktaylor1
Dec 14, 2011, 09:55 PM
I had one, used it for a few weeks, then gave it away because I hated it. I couldn't type or play online tetris. My fingers couldn't slide across my keyboard like they needed to.

wordoflife
Dec 14, 2011, 11:11 PM
I had one, used it for a few weeks, then gave it away because I hated it. I couldn't type or play online tetris. My fingers couldn't slide across my keyboard like they needed to.

That's how I felt when I first gone mine, but I got used it afterwards and I like it. It gives my keys a grip feeling.

Oh, I have a Moshi Keyboard Cover. Doesn't look tacky as some of the other ones I've seen IMO.

tktaylor1
Dec 14, 2011, 11:25 PM
That's how I felt when I first gone mine, but I got used it afterwards and I like it. It gives my keys a grip feeling.

Oh, I have a Moshi Keyboard Cover. Doesn't look tacky as some of the other ones I've seen IMO.

I got mine at either the Apple store or MacAuthority. It wasn't a Moshi