PDA

View Full Version : WWDC a week away - Predictions?

law guy
May 28, 2005, 09:39 PM
With WWDC a week away, I'm wondering what folks are predicting. These predictions might be based on rumor or your "gut" feeling for what must be coming, infused with a little wishing of course. My friend always had a prize for who got closest in guessing Oscar pics - sorry, no prize, but it would be interesting to see who's close.

My predictions:

PowerMacs: 3.2 GHz Dual G5s (just dual processors, but not dual core)
DDR2 memory
PCIe-x16 graphics

Powerbooks: A low voltage mobile version of the G5 with modest speed (somewhere in the range of 1.2 to 1.6GHz) announcement to ship in July / August - 15" and 17" only. Mobile version keeps processor speed down under most mundane use and extends battery life.
DDR2 memory

All "regular" size iPods go color screen; digital FM tuner available built-in with record to disk feature.

Modest price cut on 30" display

What do others "see" coming?

LG

ITASOR
May 28, 2005, 09:42 PM
Alot of people are saying a 13" widescreen PB, which I sure hope is wrong because that would just look "weird"... :eek:

jackieonasses
May 28, 2005, 09:50 PM
A G5 of a same/slower speed as a given G4 will get beat. Trust me. Clock for clock, g4's win. Work on the FSB.....

and to the G5 comment. I doubt they will even get to 3.0 ghz. I want them to though.

kyle

broken_keyboard
May 28, 2005, 10:14 PM
I think there will be a new mouse and keyboard. Apart from that I have no idea...

Would like to see new model PowerMac, but if there is one it will probably be in very limited quantity due to CPU supply.

runninmac
May 28, 2005, 10:18 PM
Um i guessing iPod updates and iBook eventhough its a "pro" conference. I dont know what else to expect but im excited. Does steve do his key note on the 6th? if so that will be a great day because of the new coldplay album coming out that day.

Pismo
May 28, 2005, 10:24 PM
Um i guessing iPod updates and iBook eventhough its a "pro" conference. I dont know what else to expect but im excited. Does steve do his key note on the 6th? if so that will be a great day because of the new coldplay album coming out that day.

Yes, Steve's keynote will be on the 6th at 1:00 PM Eastern time. I think we might see new iBooks and iPods also. WWDC isn't really a "Pro" conference though. It's just a conference for developers to learn what's going on in the world of Mac OS X. It also highlights hardware stuff as well.

joecool85
May 28, 2005, 10:27 PM
They better not get rid of the 12" PB...

Anyway, here are some of my predictions

Updated mac mini, probably a 1.5ghz and a 1.67ghz model.

Update PB - probably not G5, but regardless a speed boost to around 2.0ghz

And lastly, the most unlikely one, but still could happen, a 3.0+ ghz PM.

puckhead193
May 28, 2005, 10:33 PM
I'm hoping for a new ipod with bluetooth syncing w/ color screen . Also apple annoucing more cars for their built in ipod thing for the 2004 lexus ES with navi ;)

mad jew
May 28, 2005, 10:34 PM
Hopefully we'll get a bit of insight into what changes are in store for iTunes as an app and a store. Will we be getting online movies?

zelmo
May 28, 2005, 10:50 PM
new Airport Express
new Pro look keyboard and mouse
new Power Mac line-up:

dualcore Dual 3.0GHz
Dual 2.7GHz
Dual 2.3 GHz
single 2.3GHz

mowogg
May 28, 2005, 10:51 PM
Full-size iPods with color screens across the board
New Airport Express with IR built in
iTunes for Linux
1 new garageband instrument pack
72 new automator actions
23 new dashboard widgets
New Blue Dalmation and Flower Power mac mini color schemes

Oh, and Steve will demo Tiger...again.

Fukui
May 28, 2005, 10:52 PM
Alot of people are saying a 13" widescreen PB, which I sure hope is wrong because that would just look "weird"... :eek:
Nooooooooooooooo!
That sony 13" is slick!
If they get that thats my next computer 4 sure.
Powerbooks should all be widescreen. To not be so is... wrong. :)

jer446
May 28, 2005, 10:57 PM
what are the rumors for new keyboard? I just bought mine last week so it would be cool if new ones come out so i can exchange it.

mad jew
May 28, 2005, 11:01 PM
what are the rumors for new keyboard? I just bought mine last week so it would be cool if new ones come out so i can exchange it.

Maybe a colour-coded keyboard that'll match the aluminium G5s and PowerBooks. There may also be more features on it too.

puckhead193
May 28, 2005, 11:05 PM
Maybe a colour-coded keyboard that'll match the aluminium G5s and PowerBooks. There may also be more features on it too.
i hope not i just got a bluetooth keyboard/mouse
I cheep keyboard and mouse would be cool to match the mini...

Mr. Anderson
May 28, 2005, 11:08 PM
How can they have another speed bump in the PowerMac line when they just had one....

I don't see it happening.

D

jer446
May 28, 2005, 11:10 PM
yeah i just bought the bt keyboard, but does anyone know the return policy? Incase they are released on the 6th, will i be able to return it? I recieved it on monday,

law guy
May 28, 2005, 11:22 PM
How can they have another speed bump in the PowerMac line when they just had one....

D

The bump would be pretty close to the bump (and the bigger changes) that happened when my dual 1.42 came out - total life of that product was only 4 months on the market (mid-March to mid-July when the WWDC PM announced G5's began to ship).

What do you see coming down the path next week? (and do I recall incorrectly, or did you used to be located in Alexandria, VA? We used to live up the hill behind the GW monument)

treysmay
May 28, 2005, 11:53 PM
Dropping the single 1.8 G5. :(
Dropping prices on, PB’s and PM’s. :D
Lowering cost of 23” and 30” cinemas :D
Upgraded system controller chip in G5’s, or something else that miniscule. :mad:
New video cards for Power Macs. “Even though, these ones rock” :D
New iBooks 10”, 12” and 15” high quality screens. :D
And some new industry standard apple thingy, like maybe Fire wire 1600 or something :eek:

solvs
May 29, 2005, 12:22 AM
My predictions:

PowerMacs: 3.2 GHz Dual G5s (just dual processors, but not dual core)
DDR2 memory
PCIe-x16 graphics

Powerbooks: A low voltage mobile version of the G5 with modest speed (somewhere in the range of 1.2 to 1.6GHz) announcement to ship in July / August - 15" and 17" only. Mobile version keeps processor speed down under most mundane use and extends battery life.
DDR2 memory

All "regular" size iPods go color screen; digital FM tuner available built-in with record to disk feature.

Modest price cut on 30" display
Maybe on the 30", but otherwise I think you're going to be disappointed.

Possibly an upgrade to the iBook, or even the mini, but I doubt it will be anything revolutionary. No G5 PowerBook either, unless they keep the G4 for some models, and just have like 1 highend one. Same with the PowerMac. They just updated them, so the best we'll get is a highend model, with the rest being the same but with minor price drops. Hopefully a better single Tower. Probably an iPod/iTunes update of some kind, but no radio and no built-in recording. Sorry. :(

Something new probably we aren't even thinking of yet. Way to plug those leaks Apple, we're stumped. Asteroid anyone?

Supa_Fly
May 29, 2005, 12:27 AM
A new FireWire speed sounds nice, if only more appliances come to market that'll use it.

1> Xserves getting a new speed bump, and possibly a new design layout;back to supporting 4 HDDs possibly.

2> price drop of PowerBooks & 30" Cinema Display's would be smart to further move products & sales; since both arent doing to ecstaticly well. Dont get me wrong their fantastic but I see only the super fortunate & industries buying 30 Cinema Displays. Also performance of PowerBooks from possible switchers' point of view may not be to impressive, either way reduce the price by say 12" ($200), 15" ($250), and 17" ($300) would be really sweet; but offer it with mail in rebate within 30 days. Statistics say only roughly 20% of people mail in their rebates anyway.

3> PowerMac's, a new high-end, while dropping the single cpu. All will ship with bluetooth 2.0+EDR.

4> Announcements of more alliances, maybe even a special sneak at what IBM plans for opening up the architecture of the Cell; not that it'll be in a Mac , but what technologies would make it into a future cpu.

Platform
May 29, 2005, 12:59 AM
Well just to say about the PB's....they will proberly not go as low as 1.2Ghz...the 1.67Ghz G4 will beat the 1.6Ghz G5 :o :mad:

Platform
May 29, 2005, 01:01 AM
Dropping the single 1.8 G5. :(
And some new industry standard apple thingy, like maybe Fire wire 1600 or something :eek:

1.They should if not updated

2. FW 1600 nah...they don't even have FW 800 in any other than the PM and PB ;)

GFLPraxis
May 29, 2005, 01:35 AM
1) Quad processor (if possible with dual cores but unlikely) PowerMac G5's at $3500 or above. A new model, not update.

2) New iBooks, likely e600 based. Low end 1.33, high end 1.5 GHz. The 1.5 model would run at 10w if its using an e600 G4.

3) Possibly new PowerBooks, though it seems to be too soon for them.

4) Some iPod update. 5G? Nah...still, there will be something.

5) Some mention of the videos in the iTunes Music Store. Will there be an iTunes Video Store announced, I dunno.

6) Something about HD video.

7) Some mention about how great the HD projectors are.

8) Someone from another company onstage.

9) Something unexpected.

10) Some mention of how great Tiger is.

GFLPraxis
May 29, 2005, 01:36 AM

D

What if its not a bump, but a higher end model added?

Say, a tri or quad PowerMac at 3 GHz and $3500 or $4000?

MacTruck
May 29, 2005, 01:52 AM
They are absolutely going to announce a dual dual core powermac at 3ghz. Its a developer conference. Code must be written and compiled for a dual dual core powermac so this is the place to announce it. Besides it won't ship until August or later. I think its perfect timing.

Might even see a dual core powerbook which would suck as I just bought the 15" 1.67ghz model.

treysmay
May 29, 2005, 01:58 AM
Well although fire wire 800 isn’t fully utilized.
Apple always does crazy ******.
When apple dropped the floppy and utilized the one piece computer, the computer world said “what the f**k”
When apple came out with USB, the computer world said “what the f**k”
When apple went to USB 2.0, we said cool
Same thing with fire wire, operating system, dual processor support, wi-fi, ipod+itunes, Bluetooth and Daisy chaining in the 80’s etc…
But apple has taken a little break with crazy innovation. Not to say they haven’t innovated just lightly. No new industry stuff in a while.
So I want to see something crazy again to say “wow apple” how the ******?
As an art student, and a proud son of an architect, my dad and I drool over John Ive’s and his creativeness. And I have to say apple made computer building into an art (the way it should be)
So I expect to see something drool worthy from apple besides just refining their footprints in the sand (like the cube which failed and then later fixed and refined “Mac mini”).
Why isn’t there more ground breaking stuff besides faster processors and better moniters? am I the only lousy ass that thinks this? apple has grounded them self as not only a computer company, but a tool for life.
thank u but i must be off to give my speach to microsoft. ;)

Mac micro? – 1.25 GHz g4 and 256 MB Vram and 1 gig of ram, 3 fire wire ports and 3 USB 2.0 everything else could be external. Bridging the gap, between

palm pilot and desktop. :cool:

New Airport? With a 400 Gb hard drive fileserver?

Wireless electricity? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Platform
May 29, 2005, 02:46 AM
New Airport? With a 400 Gb hard drive fileserver?

Wireless electricity?[/U] :eek: :eek: :eek:

That would be GREAT ;) :D :D

Lacero
May 29, 2005, 02:58 AM
Top end PowerMac G5 dual-core dual processor running at 2.5Ghz each.

Zaty
May 29, 2005, 03:12 AM
First of all, let me say all consumer products (i.g. iBook, Mac mini) are a no go. WWDC is for developers (hence the name), so they won't introduce new iBooks there. That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple launched speed bumped iBooks next Tuesday.

As for WWDC, I don't expect new hardware. It's possible SJ has a dual 3GHz PM up his sleeve (which would probably cost $3499 or even $3999, shipping in September)

dejo
May 29, 2005, 03:40 AM
digital FM tuner available built-in

Please no FM radio. FM sucks. I might as well make a playlist of 10 songs and put it on shuffle and repeat. But then I still wouldn't have the joy of too many commercials and annoying DJs. ;)

Abstract
May 29, 2005, 03:45 AM

Obviously you've never seen the 12" Dell or 13" Sony widescreens that I have been drooling over.
:(

russed
May 29, 2005, 04:16 AM
Wireless electricity?[/U] :eek: :eek: :eek:

i somehow cant see that! i cant remember the physics properly but i think its the inverse square law or something like that - so to get it one more meter it has to have about 4 times more power (but then again im maybe talking rubbish - memory is going back a fair few years!)

anyway - it would probably cause cancer anyway so probably not the best idea!

i hope they dont introduce new ipods - i have only had my photo a few months now!

they cant really upgrade the powermacs as they were only updated a few weeks ago, likewise with the powerbook - there will be many pissed people!

Fukui
May 29, 2005, 04:35 AM
They cant really upgrade the powermacs as they were only updated a few weeks ago, likewise with the powerbook - there will be many pissed people!
How about DirectX for Mac?
Maybe OpenX or something... address the stuff that OpenGL does not.

EGT
May 29, 2005, 06:34 AM
they cant really upgrade the powermacs as they were only updated a few weeks ago, likewise with the powerbook - there will be many pissed people!

It has been more than a few weeks since the powerbooks were updated. I really hope something happens with the whole current line. It's awful looking at some of the other Laptops out there sitting at 2.5-3Ghz and with far better screen resolutions.

Apple's bound to be "on the ball", but I'm not getting my hopes up just yet.

rosalindavenue
May 29, 2005, 06:41 AM
2) New iBooks, likely e600 based. Low end 1.33, high end 1.5 GHz. The 1.5 model would run at 10w if its using an e600 G4.

Boy, that would be HUGE-- so huge, in fact, that I think its unlikely. The e600 (a dual core relative of the G4 made by freescale-- here's an explanation (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129103)) may end up being the "G5" in the next powerbooks, but I dont see the ibooks getting a processor upgrade before the powerbooks, unfortunately. I think the ibooks will get a very minor upgrade for the new school year. Maybe after the powerbooks get e600s, the ibooks can get the Freescale 7448.

** Just read my own link-- I see that the 7448 is a single core e600. Oops. :o However, I stand by my position that the ibook will get a small incremental upgrade and the pbooks will get a processor upgrade first.

Platform
May 29, 2005, 06:46 AM
Please no FM radio. FM sucks. I might as well make a playlist of 10 songs and put it on shuffle and repeat. But then I still wouldn't have the joy of too many commercials and annoying DJs. ;)

What about DAB then ;)

law guy
May 29, 2005, 08:39 AM

It sucks only if you live in a place with no independent stations left - Western Mass is not one of those places - quirky people with quirky shows on a couple of stations, no repeated playlists - not the corporate Clear Channel model that has wrecked so many of the "major markets" (as the folks with the 10-song playlists call them).

vouder17
May 29, 2005, 09:00 AM
Ok my predictions are.....

I think we are gonna get iPod upgrades..color screens etc.
A new Airport Express
Updated iBooks
Minor Updates to Powerbooks(maybe just a widescreen low-end)

That is it...
I dont think we will see Updated PowerMacs...Reason; Because they dont have the hardware to update them.

Ambrose Chapel
May 29, 2005, 09:07 AM
1-a new high-end, dual core/quad processor power mac workstation (announced, to ship late summer)

2-a new high-end 17" HD PB

3-a new video-streaming airport express. doesn't that iTMS promo end right about now?

we'll see...

Abstract
May 29, 2005, 09:23 AM
Do you people honestly believe that Steve is going to get on stage to announce updated iBooks!!!! :rolleyes: If he's not announcing something big, he's not going on stage.

It may be something music related. I forget the name of that music product that ThinkSecret posted about (and Apple got mad at).....a hardware product that plugs into the computer.......but that will be one product. Did that ever come out? If not, then thats one product. :)

Another is a formal announcement of music videos being sold at iTMS, making them the first online store to sell music videos, as far as I know. They haven't really announced it to the world yet. Its only known by us Mac forum geeks. :p

Also, he'll introduce the Motorola-Apple iPhone (or whatever it'll be called), since its supposed to come out in July anyway.

Then he may introduce a box that's placed in the living room with multimedia application, maybe like a TiVo but suped up. Maybe even a remote for AirTunes. :cool:

If they do something with the iBook, it'll be a completely new form factor. Maybe a widescreen lineup (and upgraded proc, but still regular G4s), leaving the 12" PB as the only non-widescreen laptop remaining. Don't think they'd do it? They left the 15" as the only non-aluminium Powerbook for absolutely ages (something like 8 months) before they finally switched from Titanium to Alu.

xisforextreme
May 29, 2005, 09:46 AM
That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Apple launched speed bumped iBooks next Tuesday.

Wow, I really hope you're right. That would be the best news I could hope for. What does anyone else think of the possibility of an iBook update on Tuesday, at WWDC or some time after?

cooknwitha
May 29, 2005, 09:55 AM
iBooks are sure to get an update soon. The only question is when and I hope it is a new form factor (widescreen would make me dance) at the WWDC or soon after. Before the end of June at least.

broken_keyboard
May 29, 2005, 09:56 AM
Maybe Steve will talk about how the Mac market share is growing again.
That is a huge achievement of his (and Apple's). The downward trend had been going for so long, that turning it around was a work of genius.

ITASOR
May 29, 2005, 09:58 AM
Nooooooooooooooo!
That sony 13" is slick!
If they get that thats my next computer 4 sure.
Powerbooks should all be widescreen. To not be so is... wrong. :)

Alright, alright...they can make a 13" widescreen. BUT THEY BETTER KEEP THE 12". I'm going to be mad if the replace the 12" with the 13".
:mad:

iGary
May 29, 2005, 10:17 AM
new Airport Express
new Pro look keyboard and mouse
new Power Mac line-up:

dualcore Dual 3.0GHz
Dual 2.7GHz
Dual 2.3 GHz
single 2.3GHz

I like the way this guy thinks.

There HAS to be something big at this conference to keep Apple's momentum going, and it has to be in the pro lineup.

I'll toss my hat in on these guesses.

Willy S
May 29, 2005, 10:33 AM
Do you think Apple is going to offer something that would be a nice deal instead of the eMac? E.g. a more powerful Mini?

miloblithe
May 29, 2005, 11:48 AM
I doubt Apple's interested in the margins, but maybe a new 17" or 18" screen?

jwdawso
May 29, 2005, 01:30 PM
First of all, let me say all consumer products (i.g. iBook, Mac mini) are a no go. WWDC is for developers (hence the name), so they won't introduce new iBooks there.

There are two main aspects of WWDC -

Tools and instructions on how to develop; and

Motivation to keep developing for the Mac.

#2 is why it's okay to introduce new consumer models at WWDC. Developers want to know that there will be an increasing number of potential buyers for their products.

GFLPraxis
May 29, 2005, 01:40 PM
Boy, that would be HUGE-- so huge, in fact, that I think its unlikely. The e600 (a dual core relative of the G4 made by freescale-- here's an explanation (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=129103)) may end up being the "G5" in the next powerbooks, but I dont see the ibooks getting a processor upgrade before the powerbooks, unfortunately. I think the ibooks will get a very minor upgrade for the new school year. Maybe after the powerbooks get e600s, the ibooks can get the Freescale 7448.

** Just read my own link-- I see that the 7448 is a single core e600. Oops. :o However, I stand by my position that the ibook will get a small incremental upgrade and the pbooks will get a processor upgrade first.

The e600 has both dual core and single core variety.

I'm expecting the iBook to get single core and PowerBook dual core :D

Like I said in the quote you posted; 1.33 GHz to 1.5 GHz. That's incremental since the current one is 1.2 to 1.33 GHz. Except that while the clock speed only goes up a little bit, the battery life will be insane. :D

rosalindavenue
May 29, 2005, 02:09 PM
Like I said in the quote you posted; 1.33 GHz to 1.5 GHz. That's incremental since the current one is 1.2 to 1.33 GHz. Except that while the clock speed only goes up a little bit, the battery life will be insane. :D

I really hope you are right-- I'd order such an ibook the day it was announced. And I would not be the only one-- an announcement like that would lead to an incredible summer of sales for apple. Heck, the CEO of Intel says to buy an apple (http://www.tuaw.com/2005/05/26/intel-ceo-says-if-you-want-security-tomorrow-buy-a-mac/). Some shiny new hardware would really start the ball rolling.

clayton
May 29, 2005, 02:32 PM
Cinema Display revision -- Allows them to spin to the vertical position to take advantage of the rotating display feature in Tiger.

Clayton

EGT
May 29, 2005, 04:48 PM
I was just wondering, what's the best way to keep up to date with the events/announcements at the WWDC?

Will we get a "reduced" MacRumors with live updates or just keep a check on the WWDC site?

Lacero
May 29, 2005, 05:04 PM
1-a new high-end, dual core/quad processor power mac workstation (announced, to ship late summer)In lieu of reliable rumors, rampant wild speculation ensues...

wide
May 29, 2005, 07:51 PM
straight from apple's secret lab:

1) mac minis give slight boost, not much though
2) ibooks are going to retain the same form factor, but will be given slightly better specs (just a speed boost though)
3) powerbooks will be available in 1.75GHz Single Core for the 13.3 inch powerbook that will be released. 1.75 GHz DUal Core for low end fifteen inch. 2.0GHz for high end 15 inch and 17 inch. oh yeah, and high def screens in the 15 and 17 inch models. all with 512 mb ddr2 ram standard, perhaps wireless firewire.

new chassis for the powerbooks (more and better speakers, backlit keyboard in all models, improved battery life too). and all notebooks (ibooks included) will have a new mouse button that can be set to one-click (like it is now) and can be changed to dual-click (one mouse button but with dual-clicking capabilities, activated by a switch or a magnet or something).

new software, blah blah blah, e700 64-Bit notebooks by MWSF 2007 running at 3.0 GHz at least, all dual core. 4.0 GHz powermacs by MWSF 2007.

some time after this event, jobs will announce that the eMac will be discontinued in 2006 and will be replaced by an upgraded mac mini with the option of a keyboard, mouse, and 17 inch apple display that will be the first to use OLED technology.

and all products with wireless firewire, and you will be able to buy those new wireless charging pads for the notebooks and for the mac mini, possibly. next imac update will have high definition screens. apple will announce HD-DVD and Blue-Ray compatibility in all notebooks soon. wireless USB 2.0 soon too. all color screen ipods, including low end ipod and minis. shuffles will be redesigned with an OLED screen under the glossy white case, so you will be able to see what you are playing through the screen (sort of like what Sony recently released).

this is all i can think of, i think there's a good chance of me getting at least ONE thing right :)

law guy
May 29, 2005, 09:52 PM
this is all i can think of, i think there's a good chance of me getting at least ONE thing right :)

A good prediction strategy! I'm thinking of the MacWorld back in Jan '03 and how surprised I was to see those new PBs. It would be great to have that "wow" factor back at this years WWDC.

LaMerVipere
May 29, 2005, 10:27 PM
5th Generation iPods for the rest of us! :D

iriejedi
May 29, 2005, 10:31 PM

The New Keyboard has No Delete Key. An attempt to further SNUB Billy G and show that Macs are perfect and mistake free.

Blue Tooth Optional delete key free with that windows emulator program! :eek:

Willy S
May 29, 2005, 10:33 PM
straight from apple's secret lab:

1) mac minis give slight boost, not much though
2) ibooks are going to retain the same form factor, but will be given slightly better specs (just a speed boost though)
3) powerbooks will be available in 1.75GHz Single Core for the 13.3 inch powerbook that will be released. 1.75 GHz DUal Core for low end fifteen inch. 2.0GHz for high end 15 inch and 17 inch. oh yeah, and high def screens in the 15 and 17 inch models. all with 512 mb ddr2 ram standard, perhaps wireless firewire.

new chassis for the powerbooks (more and better speakers, backlit keyboard in all models, improved battery life too). and all notebooks (ibooks included) will have a new mouse button that can be set to one-click (like it is now) and can be changed to dual-click (one mouse button but with dual-clicking capabilities, activated by a switch or a magnet or something).

new software, blah blah blah, e700 64-Bit notebooks by MWSF 2007 running at 3.0 GHz at least, all dual core. 4.0 GHz powermacs by MWSF 2007.

some time after this event, jobs will announce that the eMac will be discontinued in 2006 and will be replaced by an upgraded mac mini with the option of a keyboard, mouse, and 17 inch apple display that will be the first to use OLED technology.

and all products with wireless firewire, and you will be able to buy those new wireless charging pads for the notebooks and for the mac mini, possibly. next imac update will have high definition screens. apple will announce HD-DVD and Blue-Ray compatibility in all notebooks soon. wireless USB 2.0 soon too. all color screen ipods, including low end ipod and minis. shuffles will be redesigned with an OLED screen under the glossy white case, so you will be able to see what you are playing through the screen (sort of like what Sony recently released).

I think Steve is going to sue you on this one. :D

No really, this is a good and sober prediction. I just want to know whether it´s a good idea to jump on an emac now as a second computer along with my iMac G5, or to wait for this WWDC?

dotdotdot
May 29, 2005, 10:37 PM
Definately a PowerMac which will go above 3.0 GHz, 3.2 or 3.5 is my guess. Starting at $1,499

Also, the eMac will go 1.5 GHz standard and will go to a 20" CRT but stay the same price. Starting at $799

Mac mini Rev. B, change it from DVI to Mini-DVI and will include extra USB, and a FireWire 800. Also, the front will get a nice USB 2.0 port and the power button moved to the front and it will grow an extra 1/2 inch on each side and from top to bottom to accompany a 64 MB Graphics Card, and the options will be: $499 for a 60 GB HD and $599 for an 80 GB HD - these will have 32 MB RAM, and $699 for a 100 GB HD, 64 MB RAM, and much more... This will undergo the most changes.

Also, minor iPod changes, drop the iPod photo and make it standard. Also, it will NOT have anything else, except an increased price for each model by $50 to include all the cables... so for the next update they can get rid of the lower price without any cables.

Also, PowerBook 12" will die and a 13" Widescreen will take its place, the 13 and 15 will have 1.5 GHz G5s, and the 17" will have the first G5 processor at 1.6 GHz. Every model's keyboard will be backlit, and each model will have digital out on audio. Starting at $1499

The iBook will recieve a new form factor and will go to 13 and 15 inches as well but will have a lower quality LCD. Also, these will go only to 1.3 GHz Max. The iBook will have AE standard but bluetooth as an add on. Starting at $999.

Also, Apple always had that 'grid' thing, for each desktop, there is a notebook. I therefore think that there will be a new Apple notebook, or really, a tablet, called the Apple Book mini.

THE APPLE BOOK MINI:

-1.0 GHz Processor G4
-12" LCD Screen
-2 USB, 2 Firewire
-Touch Screen Display
-OS X 10.4.1 Optimized for Tablet Mac
-32 MB RAM

This will start at $999 as well and fill the gap of the Mac mini being alone.

Of course, a 14" Book mini will be available and have a 1.25 GHz G4. This has 32 MB RAM and will be $1299.

iPod shuffle will go from 512/1024 to 512/1024/2048, the 2 GB model will have a one line LCD screen... The 2048 will be $199, and while it may be a ripoff and be able to get an iPod mini, this is USB 2.0 compatible and will have one extra, unnamed feature to make it more attractive.

Apple will also update the keyboards form factor, AND FINALLY release that 2 button mouse with a scroll wheel! It will be two buttons and the same, thumb sensitive scroll wheel thats on the iPod to scroll through pages.

Apple will also release iWork Premium, and it will be the "MS Office Killer," priced at over $299.

Apple will show off the iTunes Motorolla phone and make people all excited about it... it will have iTunes and iCal and Mail.app also on the phone, and have over 512 MB of space - basically, the Apple PDA. And it will be a PDA phone. It will be sold for over $400 at every Apple store, every Cingular, Verizon, and TMobile store.

Apple 10.4.2 will be released on June 11th, and previewed on June 10th of the WWDC - it will add a 'revolutionary' new feature to 10.4.2, and every person who buys Tiger as of that day will get a free disc to install 10.4.2, and whenever someone goes to buy Tiger after that, he/she will be purchasing 10.4.2, not 10.4.1 or even 10.4.0.

These are all just guesses, and I doubt any of these will actually happen, but hey: it could.

Sorry for the long post!

Mr. Anderson
May 29, 2005, 11:11 PM
The bump would be pretty close to the bump (and the bigger changes) that happened when my dual 1.42 came out - total life of that product was only 4 months on the market (mid-March to mid-July when the WWDC PM announced G5's began to ship).

What do you see coming down the path next week? (and do I recall incorrectly, or did you used to be located in Alexandria, VA? We used to live up the hill behind the GW monument)

Ah, forgot about that 1.42 bump....hey, it would be great, but I'm not going to bet on it.

Yep, I used to live in the South East in Old Town on St. Asaph. Really loved the town and miss it at times. Its a world away here in Lake City Indiana....

D

.Andy
May 30, 2005, 12:18 AM
OK this came to me in the gym today. Seeing as the iBooks have been so long coming and that the specs between them and the powerbooks is so close, my stab in the dark is.........

The current spec powerbooks will bump down to become iBooks. Probably the same form-factor as the current iBooks or a revision thereof.

......And we will get a new line of powerbooks. With the dual core (finally) and will be marketed as G5s. Again a similar form-factor to the current ones slightly revised.

Supa_Fly
May 30, 2005, 01:05 AM
That thinks WWDC '05 will announce speed bumped XServes??
I'll refine my prediction. XServes will have the 2.5Ghz G5 cpu's along with new motherboard for standard Infineon type connection - to coincide with Xraids' connections. Developers in huge studio's or farms could love this improvement; maybe even Dual or Quad HyperTransport links.

iBooks may get a revision but not during the keynote, I say within 3 days after.

If any hope of PowerBooks will be announced 2 things; 1 they wont ship until September at the earliest. 2 G5 cpu's arent ready, and when they are then will also see a new chassis thats rigid, naturally shock impact resistant, and OLED's as now Sharp has the ability for ridculous contrast ratio's (10000:1). Maybe even beat Intel & MS at their game for proposal of a mini external display?

If any software developments are announched I wish to see Apple working in partnership with corporate backers for placing iMac G5s & PowerMacs in a corporate environment: SAP, PeopleSoft, the company that makes the Tuxedo modular billing system (its widely in use by almost ALL cellular providers; big sales potential). Also success stories of students graduating high school with better marks across the board; using Mac's.

Platform
May 30, 2005, 03:56 AM
That thinks WWDC '05 will announce speed bumped XServes??
I'll refine my prediction. XServes will have the 2.5Ghz G5 cpu's along with new motherboard for standard Infineon type connection - to coincide with Xraids' connections. Developers in huge studio's or farms could love this improvement; maybe even Dual or Quad HyperTransport links.

iBooks may get a revision but not during the keynote, I say within 3 days after.

If any hope of PowerBooks will be announced 2 things; 1 they wont ship until September at the earliest. 2 G5 cpu's arent ready, and when they are then will also see a new chassis thats rigid, naturally shock impact resistant, and OLED's as now Sharp has the ability for ridculous contrast ratio's (10000:1). Maybe even beat Intel & MS at their game for proposal of a mini external display?

If any software developments are announched I wish to see Apple working in partnership with corporate backers for placing iMac G5s & PowerMacs in a corporate environment: SAP, PeopleSoft, the company that makes the Tuxedo modular billing system (its widely in use by almost ALL cellular providers; big sales potential). Also success stories of students graduating high school with better marks across the board; using Mac's.

I think so too....they kind of NEED to get more speed and power :rolleyes: :p :D

wide
May 31, 2005, 12:58 PM
the new mac minis will have a dlp projector come out of the apple symbol on top that can display hd definition streams, much like R2D2.

djkny
May 31, 2005, 01:21 PM
[QUOTE=Prom1]If any hope of PowerBooks will be announced 2 things; 1 they wont ship until September at the earliest. 2 G5 cpu's arent ready, and when they are then will also see a new chassis thats rigid, naturally shock impact resistant, and OLED's as now Sharp has the ability for ridculous contrast ratio's (10000:1).

That would be terrible marketing, or Apple reverting to Apple of two years past -- "releasing to the public" in some sort of misleading, bogus delay of the actual release.

If those new PB's are simply "prototype" announcements unavailable until Sept, what fool would buy the current, ludicrously obsolete AL PB models? I hope those suckers rot and corrode in the basements of apple stores...

jcrowe
May 31, 2005, 03:13 PM
The e600 has both dual core and single core variety.

I'm expecting the iBook to get single core and PowerBook dual core :D

Hi Folks,

I was wondering where power quotes came from for the FreeScale MPC7448 and the MPC8641 and MPC8641D processors. The advantage of the MPC7448 is pin compatability, but the single core MPC8641 would be a better longterm bet for a PowerBook because it uses much faster memory (DDR2 up to 667Mhz, as opposed to 200Mhz for the 7448). If one could truly run them at 1.5Ghz for a 10W power budget, it would make for a very nice notebook. I have looked on the FreeScale website but only see nebulous numbers there. Here's to a great WWDC though.
:cool:

Lunja
May 31, 2005, 06:05 PM
Got to admit, I'd like to see Apple release a Keyboard with Media hotkeys, ie. a hotkey for iTunes, iPhoto etc. Also a play/stop/fast forward/rewind/stop key arrangement for iTunes and other media. My PC (*shudder*) was a budget one and it came with these keys, which I found invaluable when watching DVD's... This is the ONLY aspect where I prefer the PC over the Mac... (*Lunja goes off to wash his mouth with soap...*) :p

They'd also better not get rid of the delete key - I rely on it! Not having it when I tried a friend's iB was a bit annoying. I could also see it turning awa a number of potential switchers- they may see the single button mouse and the lack of a delete key and feel unfamiliar with Macs...

Also, I like the 2.0ghz PB idea- would have one in a flash!

Does anyone see cosmetic changes to the PB line? After all they have looked fairly similar for a couple years...

evilgEEk
May 31, 2005, 08:47 PM
My gut feeling is that something major will be happening to the iBook line, otherwise why would it take so long for the update to come if it were just a speed bump? I really don't have a clue what the "something major" will be, but something is gonna happen. ;)

The other thing I'm hoping for is an updated Mac mini, simply because I'm about three weeks away from buying one, but I don't want to buy one until the next update. 512 ram and airport/blutooth standard would be excellent, 64 megs of video memory would be my dream come true for that little machine. ;)

Anyway, I'm sure there will be some sort of pro line updated, but as I can't afford those anyway, I don't really know much about any of that.

Don't let me down Apple! I want my mini! :D

MacTruck
May 31, 2005, 09:16 PM
This whole lack of delete key is rediculous. Apple thinks that it makes the computer easier to use and that is their sales pitch but in reality it makes it more difficult. It is way about time to accept the fact that the world needs delete key and 2 or 3 button mouse. They are just losing sales. I have never bought an apple mouse and I won't until these things are accepted. Is apple stupid? Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

Tamer Brad
May 31, 2005, 09:32 PM
This whole lack of delete key is rediculous. Apple thinks that it makes the computer easier to use and that is their sales pitch but in reality it makes it more difficult. It is way about time to accept the fact that the world needs delete key and 2 or 3 button mouse. They are just losing sales. I have never bought an apple mouse and I won't until these things are accepted. Is apple stupid? Stupid is as stupid does I guess.

*stares at you in disbelief*

JRM PowerPod
May 31, 2005, 09:37 PM
Hopefully we'll get a bit of insight into what changes are in store for iTunes as an app and a store. Will we be getting online movies?

it would be nice to have a store first! lol

JRM PowerPod
May 31, 2005, 09:57 PM
*stares at you in disbelief*

*staring everywhere in disbelief*

bbarnhart
May 31, 2005, 10:09 PM

I get the mouse button thing... but I don't understand the delete key. Are you talking about a forward delete or backward delete. My Apple keyboard has both and they work. Are you talking about PowerBooks not having a forward delete key? Isn't there some fn-delete combination that would produce a forward delete?

GFLPraxis
May 31, 2005, 11:20 PM
Hi Folks,

I was wondering where power quotes came from for the FreeScale MPC7448 and the MPC8641 and MPC8641D processors. The advantage of the MPC7448 is pin compatability, but the single core MPC8641 would be a better longterm bet for a PowerBook because it uses much faster memory (DDR2 up to 667Mhz, as opposed to 200Mhz for the 7448). If one could truly run them at 1.5Ghz for a 10W power budget, it would make for a very nice notebook. I have looked on the FreeScale website but only see nebulous numbers there. Here's to a great WWDC though.
:cool:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/28/freescale_g4_7448/

To quote:

The 90nm 7448 provides 0.9, 1.0 and 1.1V operating voltages, yielding power dissipation of 10W at 1.4GHz, Freescale claims, with compares well with the 7447A's typical and maximum dissipation figures of 21W and 30W, respectively, at 1.4GHz.

Guess I got the number a tiny bit off- it's 1.4 GHz @ 10w. 0.1 GHz off.

Directly from Freescale:

http://www.freescale.com/files/sndf/doc/reports_presentations/SNDF2004_EUROPE_P1302.pdf

See page 11.
Power: less than 10w at 1.4 GHz.

tfh1013
Jun 2, 2005, 03:55 PM
Isn't there some fn-delete combination that would produce a forward delete?

Yep. fn+delete :D