PDA

View Full Version : Waking From Sleep Not Immediately Responsive?

$MacUser$
Dec 15, 2011, 03:02 AM
When my MBA wakes from sleep the screen comes on, etc, but it takes a few seconds for the mouse pointer to become responsive. I know this doesn't sound like a lot, but it is kind of noticeable and I don't recall this on any previous macs.

Normal or not?

theSeb
Dec 15, 2011, 03:49 AM
and I don't recall this on any previous macs.

Are you sure about that? I am not sure why people expect a computer to wake up from sleep instantaneously.

tmoerel
Dec 15, 2011, 03:52 AM
When my MBA wakes from sleep the screen comes on, etc, but it takes a few seconds for the mouse pointer to become responsive. I know this doesn't sound like a lot, but it is kind of noticeable and I don't recall this on any previous macs.

Normal or not?

It is normal. When the Air has been asleep for more than a certain time (a few hours, not sure of the exact time) it goes to deep sleep. This means that the RAM contents are written to SSD and the system is powered off. When recovering from deep sleep it needs to first recover the RAM from SSD. This takes a few seconds.

convergent
Dec 15, 2011, 06:35 AM
Mine does it too... seems normal based on the fact that it has to do something things before it can be ready to go.

littledude8209
Dec 15, 2011, 08:42 AM

Normal or not?

This is normal ever since lion came out, but I can say from experience that 10.7.3 (beta) definitely fixed this for me. Kind of sucks that they took so long to fix this, but better late than never, right? :D

snowwhite007
Dec 15, 2011, 08:53 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

My screen takes a few seconds to switch on maybe 5-10 but doesnt bother me

KPOM
Dec 15, 2011, 09:29 AM
If it's unplugged and the lid is closed for more than 70 minutes, it drops into "deep sleep" which lets it preserve the battery for up to 30 days. It then takes a few seconds to wake back up. If you have FileVault 2 enabled, it adds another second or two (even from normal sleep).

If you close the lid and immediately reopen it, it should come back in about 2 seconds.

$MacUser$
Dec 15, 2011, 12:36 PM
If it's unplugged and the lid is closed for more than 70 minutes, it drops into "deep sleep" which lets it preserve the battery for up to 30 days. It then takes a few seconds to wake back up. If you have FileVault 2 enabled, it adds another second or two (even from normal sleep).

If you close the lid and immediately reopen it, it should come back in about 2 seconds.

If i close the lid and open it immediately the screen comes on, then it takes about two seconds from screen power on to become responsive, which i guess is where the weirdness factor comes in. This is def not deep sleep, nor is FileVault enabled...

...but if it's normal I guess I'll just deal with it.

PBG4 Dude
Dec 15, 2011, 12:46 PM
I noticed the same thing with my 2010 13" MBA. Takes a few seconds before the pointer responds to trackpad input.

RHA
Dec 15, 2011, 03:16 PM
This is normal ever since lion came out, but I can say from experience that 10.7.3 (beta) definitely fixed this for me. Kind of sucks that they took so long to fix this, but better late than never, right? :D

Glad to hear they fixed it in the new beta. During the week if not traveling I keep my MBA in office lid down and unplugged (not off in case I take it to a meeting) but having it available has been very slow

astrorider
Dec 15, 2011, 03:34 PM
I'm running Snow Leopard (don't know if it's the same for Lion), but I disabled Deep Sleep a while back and I'm really happy with the instant on behavior after sleep:
sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

Hackfix21
Jan 11, 2012, 03:28 PM
Just saw that 10.7.3 is supposed to come out any moment now. I was encouraged to read above that 10.7.3 beta apparently fixed the long wait for waking from sleep. I'm getting really annoyed with this issue, so I do hope 10.7.3 will finally sort it.

astrorider
Jan 11, 2012, 04:39 PM
I'm running Snow Leopard (don't know if it's the same for Lion), but I disabled Deep Sleep a while back and I'm really happy with the instant on behavior after sleep:

Just to confirm since I finally upgraded, this seems to work for Lion too.

ERIC273
Jan 11, 2012, 04:40 PM
It looks like your macbook might have narcolepsy!

gentlefury
Jan 11, 2012, 04:46 PM
The only time I get a wake delay is if I close the screen then immediately reopen it, it takes a little while to respond. If I close it, leave and come back later tho, its instant.

KPOM
Jan 11, 2012, 05:09 PM
Just saw that 10.7.3 is supposed to come out any moment now. I was encouraged to read above that 10.7.3 beta apparently fixed the long wait for waking from sleep. I'm getting really annoyed with this issue, so I do hope 10.7.3 will finally sort it.

Note that even with 10.7.3, it still takes about 8 seconds to recover from deep sleep (maybe 1-2 seconds longer if you have FileVault2 enabled). However, waking from "normal sleep" is quick, and the snaking, jerkiness, etc. that some have reported appears to be gone.

Robyr
Jan 11, 2012, 05:18 PM
I am currently pulling the latest revision. I tried the 11d33 release, but the sleep issues remained. The issues are pretty much obvious to anyone who had an MBP with an SSD. My 09 MBP w/SSD woke up /instantly/. As in, within a half second. The Air, while the display turns on and is viewable, the trackpad and keyboard remain unresponsive for 3-5 seconds. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is very annoying from someone who's far slower machine woke up 6x faster. It is an issue, and it has nothing to do with the deep sleep feature. It is ever present.

gentlefury
Jan 11, 2012, 05:27 PM
anyone having long wake times...have you tried turning off bluetooth. I know it is responsible for several issues (like forgetting wifi connections)....maybe its that.

astrorider
Jan 11, 2012, 09:29 PM
I am currently pulling the latest revision. I tried the 11d33 release, but the sleep issues remained. The issues are pretty much obvious to anyone who had an MBP with an SSD. My 09 MBP w/SSD woke up /instantly/. As in, within a half second. The Air, while the display turns on and is viewable, the trackpad and keyboard remain unresponsive for 3-5 seconds. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is very annoying from someone who's far slower machine woke up 6x faster. It is an issue, and it has nothing to do with the deep sleep feature. It is ever present.

Mine definitely does not do this with deep sleep disabled, running 10.7.2. Yours does?

Robyr
Jan 12, 2012, 03:50 AM
Mine definitely does not do this with deep sleep disabled, running 10.7.2. Yours does?

Yes, it still does it, regardless of hibernate being turned off or not. The trackpad still hangs. I even went to the Apple store and tested it on every single MBA, and it does it on all of them.

astrorider
Jan 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
Yes, it still does it, regardless of hibernate being turned off or not. The trackpad still hangs. I even went to the Apple store and tested it on every single MBA, and it does it on all of them.

Must be unique to the latest Thunderbolt Macbook Airs. I don't have this problem on my previous generation.

sweetsound2001
Jan 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
Just got off the phone with Apple. I installed 10.7.3 developer's version, did all the SMC / PRAM resets, disables hibernation and the issue still exists (cursor / keyboard not responding for 4-5 seconds after opening lid). Do you guys think it may be hardware related? It seems all the MBAs at the Apple store had the same issue.

MBHockey
Jan 28, 2012, 09:30 PM
This is something I noticed right away coming from a 2010 15" MBP with intel SSD. On that machine, the keyboard and trackpad are immediately responsive upon waking. With the MBA, it takes quite a few seconds (3-5) before finger movement on the trackpad elicits cursor movement on the screen or keyboard presses register.

13" MBA Core i5 with 256 GB Samsung SSD

agentphish
Jan 28, 2012, 10:57 PM
same. plus my wifi doesn't re-connect automatically or see my airport extreme 5ghz network on wake.

Lame.

onthecouchagain
Jan 29, 2012, 12:30 AM
Mine has never ever been "instant on" upon waking from full sleep. It's been like this since I got it, and no update as of yet has made it better. Edit: 2011 13" base model

Personally, it's not that big of a deal waiting 4-6 seconds, but it's definitely not "instant" as Apple touts. More marketing smoke screen...?

fschweig
Jan 29, 2012, 02:47 AM
i'm too facing this unresponsive-trackpad-after-wakeup-issue.
(2011 MBA, i5, 256 gb)

i already had an exchange of my logicboard.
with hibernate 0 it takes not as long as with hibernate 3.
i also noted, that for the time trackpad/keyboard are unresponsive, the clock still shows the time the MBA entered standby mode and wi-fi is reconnecting.

i'm really looking forward for 10.7.3 to fix this.

greets

gnasher729
Jan 29, 2012, 08:02 AM

Before playing around with these settings, you should realise that it is "deep sleep" mode that makes it possible for the MBA to sleep for weeks and still have power. Without "deep sleep", your MBA won't have longer standbuy time than the MBP anymore.

MBHockey
Jan 29, 2012, 10:11 AM
Before playing around with these settings, you should realise that it is "deep sleep" mode that makes it possible for the MBA to sleep for weeks and still have power. Without "deep sleep", your MBA won't have longer standbuy time than the MBP anymore.

Right, but the deep sleep only kicks in when you are super low on battery power and need your computer not to lose the contents of its ram. It's not like disabling deep sleep has any effect on standby time when your battery has anywhere from around ~5%-100% charge.

Deep sleep is pretty useless for people who carry their charger with them and have a place to plug it in (the majority of users.)

KPOM
Jan 29, 2012, 10:24 AM
Right, but the deep sleep only kicks in when you are super low on battery power and need your computer not to lose the contents of its ram. It's not like disabling deep sleep has any effect on standby time when your battery has anywhere from around ~5%-100% charge.

Deep sleep is pretty useless for people who carry their charger with them and have a place to plug it in (the majority of users.)

On the MacBook Air, deep sleep kicks in after 70 minutes. That's how it can preserve the battery for 30 days.

MBHockey
Jan 29, 2012, 05:41 PM
On the MacBook Air, deep sleep kicks in after 70 minutes. That's how it can preserve the battery for 30 days.

ohhh. whoops, thanks for that :p

Is that explained somewhere in an official document? (Edit: if you just run pmset -g in terminal you can see the 'standby delay' is set to 4200 seconds; 70 minutes)

Regardless -- the unresponsiveness does not seem to depend on the length of sleep. If I sleep my MBA and within a few minutes I wake it, i still have the problem. Likewise, if it has been sleeping overnight, I see the same issue with responsiveness upon waking.

MBHockey
Feb 2, 2012, 04:58 PM
Has 10.7.3 made a difference for anyone? doesn't seem to have changed anything on my 13" Air. Still the same delay upon waking.

sweetsound2001
Feb 2, 2012, 05:24 PM
Has 10.7.3 made a difference for anyone? doesn't seem to have changed anything on my 13" Air. Still the same delay upon waking.

None whatsoever! I have deep sleep disabled and deleted the sleep image to no avail. Mega-Epic fail from Apple on this one so far!

Just tested it for ***** and giggles. Put my 11" MBA to sleep and shut the lid.

Lid open = start timer.

Logon screen = 3.2 seconds
Trackpad responding to touch = 6.5 seconds
Keyboard input recognized = 7.8 seconds

I would not consider this instant-on, and besides, my Core Duo 2010 model woke-up much faster than this without any trackpad / keyboard lag.

hotsauce
Feb 3, 2012, 09:10 PM
It's been slow for me from day one. I hope this isn't a sign for what's to come from Apple.

KPOM
Feb 3, 2012, 10:40 PM
Just tested it for ***** and giggles. Put my 11" MBA to sleep and shut the lid.

Lid open = start timer.

Logon screen = 3.2 seconds
Trackpad responding to touch = 6.5 seconds
Keyboard input recognized = 7.8 seconds

For me, the logon screen comes on after between 2-3 seconds. The keyboard is instantly responsive. There is a little bit of a delay on the trackpad, but that doesn't stop the keyboard input from being recognized. I have FileVault2 activated.

My sister's 2011 MacBook Air does not have FileVault2 activated, and the response times are like my old 2010 MacBook Air. For me, the extra second or so is worth having the encryption.