Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teyla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Hi,

Here is my situation:

I normally back up my iMac over my local house LAN to a Mac Pro that has 4TB of raided storage. I am currently on vacation for 2 weeks and before I left I set up my Mac Pro to have an outside IP Address that I can connect to anywhere.

My question is: How can I set my iMac's time machine to continue to back up to the Mac Pro's Backup Disk. I can connect to the Mac pro via Go>Connect To Server... and mount my backup disk. I tried to edit the file "com.apple.TimeMachine.plist" with the new network location to no avail. (I of course made 2 backups of the original .plist file before editing).

Any help or insight would be most appreciated

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
To clarify: You brought the iMac with you and are trying to back it up to the Mac Pro at home over the internet, correct?

One way I can think of to perform this task is to set up a VPN and connect to the VPN using your iMac. I think this would be the most straightforward method but I may be wrong.

Last edited:

Teyla

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
To clarify: You brought the iMac with you and are trying to back it up to the Mac Pro at home over the internet, correct?

Yup that is it.

I read awhile ago that it is possible to change the network location (IP Address) of the Location of your backup by editing the .plist file. However when I do this, it fails to find the drive.

StevenMeyer

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2011
New York... Where Else?
Hi,

Here is my situation:

I normally back up my iMac over my local house LAN to a Mac Pro that has 4TB of raided storage. I am currently on vacation for 2 weeks and before I left I set up my Mac Pro to have an outside IP Address that I can connect to anywhere.

My question is: How can I set my iMac's time machine to continue to back up to the Mac Pro's Backup Disk. I can connect to the Mac pro via Go>Connect To Server... and mount my backup disk. I tried to edit the file "com.apple.TimeMachine.plist" with the new network location to no avail. (I of course made 2 backups of the original .plist file before editing).

Any help or insight would be most appreciated

This was a odd and unsafe way to go about doing this. next time just use port forwarding. I can help you if you need it.

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
This was a odd and unsafe way to go about doing this. next time just use port forwarding. I can help you if you need it.

FWIW I am interested in this problem. What is your solution? Forward the outgoing port on the laptop to the public IP?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.