PDA

View Full Version : Change Time Machine Network Location

Teyla
Dec 17, 2011, 09:41 PM
Hi,

Here is my situation:

I normally back up my iMac over my local house LAN to a Mac Pro that has 4TB of raided storage. I am currently on vacation for 2 weeks and before I left I set up my Mac Pro to have an outside IP Address that I can connect to anywhere.

My question is: How can I set my iMac's time machine to continue to back up to the Mac Pro's Backup Disk. I can connect to the Mac pro via Go>Connect To Server... and mount my backup disk. I tried to edit the file "com.apple.TimeMachine.plist" with the new network location to no avail. (I of course made 2 backups of the original .plist file before editing).

Any help or insight would be most appreciated

phyrexia
Dec 17, 2011, 11:58 PM
To clarify: You brought the iMac with you and are trying to back it up to the Mac Pro at home over the internet, correct?

One way I can think of to perform this task is to set up a VPN and connect to the VPN using your iMac. I think this would be the most straightforward method but I may be wrong.

Teyla
Dec 18, 2011, 09:59 AM
To clarify: You brought the iMac with you and are trying to back it up to the Mac Pro at home over the internet, correct?

Yup that is it.

I read awhile ago that it is possible to change the network location (IP Address) of the Location of your backup by editing the .plist file. However when I do this, it fails to find the drive.

phyrexia
Dec 18, 2011, 11:01 AM
Have you found this yet?

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/112663-time-machine-over-internet.html

StevenMeyer
Dec 18, 2011, 12:39 PM
Hi,

Here is my situation:

I normally back up my iMac over my local house LAN to a Mac Pro that has 4TB of raided storage. I am currently on vacation for 2 weeks and before I left I set up my Mac Pro to have an outside IP Address that I can connect to anywhere.

My question is: How can I set my iMac's time machine to continue to back up to the Mac Pro's Backup Disk. I can connect to the Mac pro via Go>Connect To Server... and mount my backup disk. I tried to edit the file "com.apple.TimeMachine.plist" with the new network location to no avail. (I of course made 2 backups of the original .plist file before editing).

Any help or insight would be most appreciated

This was a odd and unsafe way to go about doing this. next time just use port forwarding. I can help you if you need it.

phyrexia
Dec 20, 2011, 02:32 PM
This was a odd and unsafe way to go about doing this. next time just use port forwarding. I can help you if you need it.

FWIW I am interested in this problem. What is your solution? Forward the outgoing port on the laptop to the public IP?