PDA

View Full Version : Shoud I get a Macbook air now or wait until July

Hold
Dec 18, 2011, 01:12 PM
My laptop is on it's last legs and I want to replace it with a macbook air. Should I get it now or wait? I could hold out until July 2012. When is the next refresh due?

Oli3000
Dec 18, 2011, 01:14 PM
Most are suggesting end of the first quarter - march-ish - to may-ish.

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/06/ivy-bridge-mobile-cpus-for-next-macbook-air-and-pro-models-due-around-may/

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/28/updated-macbook-air-line-with-new-15-inch-model-coming-in-1q-2012/

Kendo
Dec 18, 2011, 01:15 PM
My laptop is on it's last legs and I want to replace it with a macbook air. Should I get it now or wait? I could hold out until July 2012. When is the next refresh due?

It is impossible to tell when the next models will come out but if you can wait until July 2012, I would definitely wait. For this generation of MacBook Airs (the ones with SSD that debuted in October 2009), there was a 9 month gap between the July 2010 model and the previous model.

You seem to be able to wait a full 12 months so one would assume there is a much higher chance of release within a 12 month window.

theSeb
Dec 18, 2011, 01:54 PM

I don't know.

snowwhite007
Dec 18, 2011, 02:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Do u want it now or are u wanting to wait till refresh then wen refresh comes u may aswell wait till next refresh ;-)

pgiguere1
Dec 18, 2011, 03:21 PM
Probably as soon as Intel releases their Ivy Bridge ULV processors (U-Series Core i5/i7).

Right now they are planned for a May 2012 release. You should have the choice between 1.8 GHz and 2.0 GHz CPUs with 3D transistors, up to 2x the graphics performance, dual external display support, possibly better battery life and maybe USB 3.0 support.

SSD prices will also have gone down by then and all models could have twice the current storage at the current price.

doktordoris
Dec 18, 2011, 03:33 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Do u want it now or are u wanting to wait till refresh then wen refresh comes u may aswell wait till next refresh ;-)

I don't expect perfect english in these fora, but come on. Make a slight effort.

Beanoir
Dec 18, 2011, 04:14 PM

Why don't you just buy it when you need it?

adamtj11
Dec 18, 2011, 04:23 PM
I think if you need/ want it now there is no reason to wait other than for speculated specs that probably won't effect your use heavily at all / be wait the 8 month wait for in the first place.

aeboi
Dec 18, 2011, 04:59 PM
If you have to ask, you probably don't need it as badly as you suggest.

Danno21
Dec 18, 2011, 06:59 PM
If you have to ask, you probably don't need it as badly as you suggest.

^^^

Wait for the new model with Ivy Bridge. IB isn't a huge step up from Sandy Bridge for desktops, but it's a huge step up for notebooks/ultrabooks because of the GPU performance.

Booji
Dec 18, 2011, 07:46 PM
Unless you absolutely need it now, I'd wait.

jvmxtra
Dec 18, 2011, 08:42 PM
I for one do not want to wait but cannot afford it.

If you can afford it, sounds like you should be able to afford it again once new one come out(with little additional money and sale of current one)... so I say go for it now and enjoy the goodness now and enjoy it again when new one come out.. Why not???

halledise
Dec 18, 2011, 09:03 PM
option 1.
if you need it now or in the near future, then buy now.

by the sounds of it, the first half of 2012 should see new look MBPro's, thus I doubt there'll be a new Air released at the same time …

unless …

the new look MBPro's are sufficiently look-alike to the Air in which case expect Ivy Bridge Airs too.

that said, Apple may drop the 13" MBPro if favour of Airs and upscale the new-look MBPro's in the 15" and 17" screen sizes

it's all speculation and rumor anyway, so I'd go with option 1 ;)

Booji
Dec 19, 2011, 12:11 AM
A little analysis that I did.

I bought my first Mac - a Macbook Air 11" in February. It was the time I got a new job and I wanted to give myself a little reward on the spot.

I'm kind of a hardware freak and I can't stand to have last years model, so when the Sandy Bridge models came out, I bought a 13" Ultimate in early August.

I kept the 11" for a while as I loved the small form factor and preferred if for some situations like going to the cafe, but after a while I realized it was really silly having two Airs so the 11" had to go.

I just sold it, took a big hit on the price, but I figured that it cost me $50/month in depreciation to own the 11".

With this in mind, I'm perfectly happy to spend $50 a month and always enjoy the latest technology. That's why I've decided to upgrade every year, simply because the resale on Macs are so good. I had no trouble selling mine on eBay in one week.

So, no matter what I think you could buy one now and reasonable expect to sell yours and upgrade later if you felt the need to.

The key is to keep your machine in perfect condition. People love the beauty of these machines and a scratch or dent can take hundreds off of the value. I'd also avoid Apple Care as you won't recover the value and you are covered the first year anyway.

snowwhite007
Dec 19, 2011, 12:49 AM

I don't expect perfect english in these fora, but come on. Make a slight effort.

My bad lol If you see my other posts you will see its a one off. Whats a fora? This question gets asked like every other day explaining the erratic reply apoligies to all for my terrible English

calvol
Dec 19, 2011, 01:50 AM
If you need a Mac now, get a 2010 MBA refurb and skip the 2011. The 2012 should run much cooler, have better graphics, and hopefully 10 hours battery life.

Confuzzzed
Dec 19, 2011, 01:56 AM
My understanding, the Ivy bridge won't add too much processing power but if you are into graphics for whatever reason (most people's graphics needs centre around gaming) then I would wait because the ivy bridge processor will be a marked improvement on the current generation sandy bridge. But...having owned both the 2010 and 2011 incarnations, I would have to say neither leave a lot to be desired on processing power and I, for one, haven't noticed much of a difference in the 2011 not having a dedicated GPU. But then again, I am not a gamer. If you need a laptop buy it now. Besides, as others suggested, you can sell it in May and get most of your money back!! Good luck.

Booji
Dec 19, 2011, 05:22 AM
Its one of the beauty of owning a Mac. Even if you are one, or even two cycles behind, your machine is really not obsolete, nor do they look that much different from the current models.

GekkePrutser
Dec 19, 2011, 05:24 AM
I'd wait if you absolutely need any of the following:

A 20% CPU increase
A 30% GPU increase
USB 3.0

Because those features are most likely for an Ivy Bridge Air.

However I don't think there will be anything that really needs the CPU or GPU increase that heavily. It's only one-fifth to one-third of an increase. It's hard to imagine any use case that would really not work one-fifth slower (and be worth waiting 6 months for).

However the USB 3.0 I can see to be a serious improvement. With the current USB 2.0 you're limited to 40MB/s off any external drive unless you spend a fortune on a Thunderbolt drive.

With USB 3.0 you can get an external drive for cheap and have nice and fast speeds off it. If you are going to rely on external storage a lot it might be worth the wait.

Mind you, it is by no means certain that the Ivy Bridge air will come in June, and that it will feature USB 3.0 or those speed increases. It's all speculation (but a fair guess considering the Ivy Bridge release date and specs).

Personally I'd go for a refurb now, and just resell it once the Ivy Bridge ones come out. The resale value on a refurb will probably be a bit better than on a new one.

Steve121178
Dec 19, 2011, 06:01 AM

If it's on it's last legs then replace it now unless it's not on it's last legs.

If you really don't need it now, then wait. Only you can answer the question, not us.

TrollToddington
Dec 19, 2011, 06:24 AM
Whats a fora?The plural of the word 'forum' is 'fora'

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forum

Trav29
Dec 19, 2011, 10:09 AM
Why not wait until the refresh in 2024? The point is technology is always changing and advancing. You will never win when it comes to technology so if you want/need one now buy one now.

Beau10
Dec 19, 2011, 10:25 AM
Another benefit is the battery life improvement. I've seen it speculated we'll see increases of at least an hour. Not huge and Haswell or converting to ARM will likely be more significant, but significant nonetheless.

Akack
Dec 19, 2011, 11:21 AM
If you need now, buy now.

If you can wait then wait.

OneMike
Dec 19, 2011, 12:07 PM
If you can wait 7 months I'd say wait. Although it can be sooner.

If it's just a spec bump and same body. Depending on your needs I'd just buy now.

igmolinav
Dec 19, 2011, 01:13 PM
Hi,

I am quotting the following:

I'd wait if you absolutely need any of the following:

A 20% CPU increase
A 30% GPU increase
USB 3.0

Because those features are most likely for an Ivy Bridge Air.

However I don't think there will be anything that really needs the CPU or GPU increase that heavily. It's only one-fifth to one-third of an increase. It's hard to imagine any use case that would really not work one-fifth slower (and be worth waiting 6 months for).

Is it worth the wait for programs like Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, or Auto Cad for Architecture ?? Or these programs would be too much to use on the computer ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

mike693
Dec 19, 2011, 09:39 PM
The plural of the word 'forum' is 'fora'

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/forum

Hello, former Latin language student here. Generally, for loanwords you would take the word only, but not the declension, grammar, usage, etc. from the original language.

When writing in Latin, use "fora". (For neutral plural form, replace "um" with "a".)

When writing in Modern English, use "forums". (For most everything plural, just add an "s".)

halledise
Dec 20, 2011, 03:20 AM
Hello, former Latin language student here. Generally, for loanwords you would take the word only, but not the declension, grammar, usage, etc. from the original language.

When writing in Latin, use "fora". (For neutral plural form, replace "um" with "a".)

When writing in Modern English, use "forums". (For most everything plural, just add an "s".)

oh come on - everyone knows that the plural of forum is forex :) ha!

pgiguere1
Dec 20, 2011, 08:03 AM

Yeah, seems like a way to confuse people just to show off you know the latin plural of a word.

Same for people who say "virii". Just say viruses. Their usage are preferred in English and you won't confuse people.

Dornblaser
Dec 20, 2011, 08:30 AM
Hi,

I am quotting the following:

Is it worth the wait for programs like Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, or Auto Cad for Architecture ?? Or these programs would be too much to use on the computer ??

Thank you, kind regards,

It will be if there is an 8gb RAM option.

fjs08
Dec 20, 2011, 09:59 AM
Is the only difference between the $ 1299 version and the $ 1599 version of the 13" MBA in the Flash Storage??

Got to play w the MBA and MBP last week at the Apple store.
Yikes. Both were great!!!
I have very basic computing needs. Browsing, few spreadsheets, email, lots of photo importing... grandkids<g>, reading professional journals on line, watching ESPN highlights on line
I have a 5+ yr old MBP that is still running great....could probably use some more ram and every once in a while I get a pin stripe screen?? (is my screen going..external monitor or notebook??) I just want something new. Love the size of my 15" MBP ..... dislike the size for taking it to the coffee shop etc. I have an iPad that I take, but I really want something more.
I've changed my mind daily on MBA vs MBP. I see the Apple ad touting the MBA as a great "every day" computer. It would run on an external monitor most of the time anyway, so even though I love the MBP keyboard more than the MBA, I would only be at the coffee shops, etc uncommonly.
I know there is no definite answer, but "should" the MBA satisfy my computing needs?? Thoughts??
Frank

igmolinav
Dec 20, 2011, 10:02 AM
Hi,

Thank you for your message : ) !!!

Do you think it is likely to happen for the next bump ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav
Dec 20, 2011, 10:17 AM
Hi,

... so even though I love the MBP keyboard more than the MBA, I would only be at the coffee shops, etc uncommonly.

Have you tried a 13" MBP ?? I have one. One can add RAM to 8GB. It is powerful for most applications. I need something smaller than my MBP for my travels and the 11" MBA is thin enough. A 13" MBP may be good for you. The 15" is quite heavy for me, and feels heavy compared to the 13" MBP, and of course to the MBAs. Try out the 13" MBP and see if you like it. If 15" is the size for you, there are rumors of a 15" MBA coming over the summer or before.

Kind regards,

fjs08
Dec 20, 2011, 10:55 AM
>>Have you tried a 13" MBP ?? I have one. One can add RAM to 8GB. It is powerful for most applications. <<

Thx. That sounds like a great thought. It will "force" me back to the mall and the Apple store <g>.

Frank

theSeb
Dec 20, 2011, 11:13 AM
Is the only difference between the $ 1299 version and the $ 1599 version of the 13" MBA in the Flash Storage??

Got to play w the MBA and MBP last week at the Apple store.
Yikes. Both were great!!!
I have very basic computing needs. Browsing, few spreadsheets, email, lots of photo importing... grandkids<g>, reading professional journals on line, watching ESPN highlights on line
I have a 5+ yr old MBP that is still running great....could probably use some more ram and every once in a while I get a pin stripe screen?? (is my screen going..external monitor or notebook??) I just want something new. Love the size of my 15" MBP ..... dislike the size for taking it to the coffee shop etc. I have an iPad that I take, but I really want something more.
I've changed my mind daily on MBA vs MBP. I see the Apple ad touting the MBA as a great "every day" computer. It would run on an external monitor most of the time anyway, so even though I love the MBP keyboard more than the MBA, I would only be at the coffee shops, etc uncommonly.
I know there is no definite answer, but "should" the MBA satisfy my computing needs?? Thoughts??
Frank

Yes, it would satisfy your needs perfectly and more.

----------

>>Have you tried a 13" MBP ?? I have one. One can add RAM to 8GB. It is powerful for most applications. <<

Thx. That sounds like a great thought. It will "force" me back to the mall and the Apple store <g>.

Frank

Looking at your intended use, you won't need the RAM upgrade. A stock 13" MBP with a mechanical hard drive and 8 GBs of RAM is slower than an MBA with 4 GBs of RAM in all of the tasks that you mentioned. In fact, a 13" i7 MBA keeps up with a 15" MBP Quad Core with a Vertex SSD and 8 GBs of RAM.

I've done the real world benchmarks myself to prove this point.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1294016

doktordoris
Dec 20, 2011, 11:41 AM
Yeah, seems like a way to confuse people just to show off you know the latin plural of a word.

Same for people who say "virii". Just say viruses. Their usage are preferred in English and you won't confuse people.

I never actually said using forums was wrong, I just prefer fora. I just enjoy the esoteric and the interesting over the everyday and humdrum when it ones to words, for instance I only ever use data for 2 or more pieces of information and I cringe when people say octopi. But as I said forums is fine, both are acceptable according to my enormous dictionary.

And I certainly wasn't motivated by a desire to either "confuse people", or "show off". Oh yes, and I use Virii I am afraid. Words are beautiful, and the more we use the better as far as I am concerned.

ncarnall
Dec 20, 2011, 12:37 PM
Why not wait until the refresh in 2024? The point is technology is always changing and advancing. You will never win when it comes to technology so if you want/need one now buy one now.

I heard a rumour that the 2025 one will be even quicker so I'm waiting for that one LOL

Just get the current one mate as otherwise you'll always be waiting.

Kyllle
Dec 20, 2011, 03:46 PM
I heard a rumour that the 2025 one will be even quicker so I'm waiting for that one LOL

Just get the current one mate as otherwise you'll always be waiting.

I hate when people say things like this.

Obviously he is asking because he doesn't know if he should buy a product in the middle of it's cycle, where it will only be the "newest" thing for a few more months, or wait until the next cycle, where it will not be replaced probably for a year.

While a device is certainly not obsolete after a new version comes out, it will become more outdated over time, so by buying it as soon as a new version comes out, the buyer can ensure that his product will not be behind the curve for as long as possible.

All that said, I think you should buy an Air now; 6 months is a long time to wait (trust me, I've been waiting since this summer for an air - 1 more week), and it won't be the end of the world when they release a newer model.

igmolinav
Dec 20, 2011, 07:43 PM
Hi,

Looking at your intended use, you won't need the RAM upgrade. A stock 13" MBP with a mechanical hard drive and 8 GBs of RAM is slower than an MBA with 4 GBs of RAM in all of the tasks that you mentioned. In fact, a 13" i7 MBA keeps up with a 15" MBP Quad Core with a Vertex SSD and 8 GBs of RAM.

I've done the real world benchmarks myself to prove this point.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1294016

The MBA I would buy is the 11" MBA, it has an i5 processor now, do you
think it'll get the 8GB RAM possibility when it gets updated?

Kind regards,

alflavor
Dec 24, 2011, 02:23 AM
Buy it when you need it

Maven1975
Dec 24, 2011, 02:31 AM
Wait it out if possible. There is also that rumored 15" Air and a possible Pro line refresh at the same time.

Beanoir
Dec 24, 2011, 10:12 AM
I hate when people say things like this.

I quite like it when people have a sense of humour on these fora. Lighten up - its Christmas!

igmolinav
Dec 24, 2011, 10:37 AM
Wait : ) !!!

2IS
Dec 24, 2011, 11:56 AM
My understanding, the Ivy bridge won't add too much processing power but if you are into graphics for whatever reason (most people's graphics needs centre around gaming) then I would wait because the ivy bridge processor will be a marked improvement on the current generation sandy bridge. But...having owned both the 2010 and 2011 incarnations, I would have to say neither leave a lot to be desired on processing power and I, for one, haven't noticed much of a difference in the 2011 not having a dedicated GPU. But then again, I am not a gamer. If you need a laptop buy it now. Besides, as others suggested, you can sell it in May and get most of your money back!! Good luck.

Don't forget Ivy will also use less power. For me that's the main advantage it will have over Sandy.

francis21
Dec 24, 2011, 12:15 PM
If you need the MacBook Air now, I would say get it.

I ran into a similar situation as yours, but since my 2007 White Pre-unibody MacBook broke down on me, I thought I really needed to get a 2011 MacBook Air. Also, if there are tasks that you cannot perform in your current laptop, then I suggest getting it now.

Otherwise, just wait for quite abit for the new MBA 2012 release.

Personally though, I bought mine at the start of December because I really needed a laptop to have during my last few days of my first term in university - that exam period. Also, since I'm a computer science student, a laptop for me is a must and need it to be handy right beside me for almost all the time.

This might not be your situation. I just outlined the reasons why you should get the current generation MBA or just wait out for the new one. :) Hope this helps.

ET iPhone Home
Dec 26, 2011, 03:30 AM
I'd wait. :apple:

Outrigger
Dec 30, 2011, 08:35 AM
and maybe USB 3.0 support.

Thats about as likely as Apple slapping on a bluray player in the next version. They don't want anything to overshadow TB.

LordVic
Dec 30, 2011, 09:31 AM
Do you need it now? or do you n eed it later?

you cannot play the "better tech around the corner game". There is ALWAYS better tech around the corner. Come July when you want to buy the Ivy Bridge MBA, i guarantee you it'll be another 6 months till something else will overshadow it.

If you're on the fence, and really have nothing to push you over the edge to buy now, and your existing devices still work and fill your need.

Then you have your answer.

theSeb
Dec 30, 2011, 09:42 AM
Thats about as likely as Apple slapping on a bluray player in the next version. They don't want anything to overshadow TB.

Thunderbolt is not Apple's technology so your assertion makes absolutely no sense at all.

Robyr
Dec 30, 2011, 09:50 AM
Thunderbolt is not Apple's technology so your assertion makes absolutely no sense at all.

Neither was the CD, but it didn't stop them from blacklisting Blu-Ray. I realize it was due to the iTunes HD content launch and such, but still. Thunderbolt is the thing Apple is putting its weight behind. Hopefully someone at Apple realizes that TB isn't a replacement for USB3, but I don't know that it will happen. They seem to want TB to be the Firewire of our new generation of Macs.

scarred
Dec 30, 2011, 09:53 AM
I didn't read all these posts, so sorry if someone said this already.

In July you can reasonably expect: Ivy Bridge. This new tech from Intel is all about efficiency. Performance will be about the same (just a small bump) as todays Airs. The GPU (graphics) will be better, but probably not good enough for serious games yet. What you'll get is better battery life.

In July you can "hope for": Better Battery tech. There are rumours that headway has been made with batteries. Combine this with Ivy Bridge and a dream of the magical "10 hour" (iPad length) battery might come true.

It'd be a long wait, but I would if I could. Something to look forward to.

Outrigger
Dec 30, 2011, 10:00 AM

Thunderbolt is Apple's "term". While its not their tech, they are heavily promoting it and trying to get peripheral manufacturers to make devices with mini display port TB compatible, not USB 3.

USB 3 max speed is 4.8GBps
TB max speed is 10GBps.

LordVic
Dec 30, 2011, 10:08 AM
Thunderbolt is Apple's "term". While its not their tech, they are heavily promoting it and trying to get peripheral manufacturers to make devices with mini display port TB compatible, not USB 3.

USB 3 max speed is 4.8GBps
TB max speed is 10GBps.

Correct me if i'm wrong. But TB max speed is 40GBps. as it's multiple channels in one and not just one.

I don't see TB and USB as rivals. I see TB as a completely different use. its an "All in one" dataport for the future expantion of features to existing limited technology.

USB3 is a further extension of USB in the sense it's going to be consumer peripheral for data devices.

I see more TB use for laptops looking for expandibility for such things as graphic ports, all in one docking stations and the like. putting multiple devices on one port. Imagine 1 cable to 1 small box that contains a higher end graphics solution, 1gb network port, and a couple USB3 ports. This is the ideal and something that USB3 was never designed for

vsighi
Dec 30, 2011, 10:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgPraz2AY_M

monokakata
Dec 30, 2011, 12:16 PM
Whats a fora? This question gets asked like every other day explaining the erratic reply apoligies to all for my terrible English

Many people believe (wrongly) that all Latin-derived English singular words that end in "-um" must be changed to end in "-a" when they're used in English as plurals. Some words do (for example, "datum" and "data"), but forum doesn't.

Thus (for these people)

one forum
two fora

It's common, but it's wrong. English is the emperor of irregularity, so it's no good following Latin rules.

Booji
Dec 31, 2011, 04:10 AM
Do you need it now? or do you n eed it later?

you cannot play the "better tech around the corner game". There is ALWAYS better tech around the corner. Come July when you want to buy the Ivy Bridge MBA, i guarantee you it'll be another 6 months till something else will overshadow it.

If you're on the fence, and really have nothing to push you over the edge to buy now, and your existing devices still work and fill your need.

Then you have your answer.

As a general rule, I would avoid buying anything that is past the middle or near the end of a product cycle - with the qualifier unless I ABSOLUTELY need a new machine.

bowlerman625
Dec 31, 2011, 08:43 AM
Get one now if it meets your needs. You can always sell it if a refreshed MBA catches your eye