PDA

View Full Version : Get OS X Lion now or wait?

Price64
Dec 19, 2011, 10:38 AM
Should I get the new OS X Lion or wait for OS X 10.7.3 to be released to the public?

fisherking
Dec 19, 2011, 10:53 AM
yes. :cool:

Price64
Dec 19, 2011, 11:00 AM
yes. :cool:

yes get Lion now or wait?

Joos24
Dec 19, 2011, 11:18 AM

Yes, get Lion now. Many of the real bugs (not new features that whiners that don't like change just complain about ) were fixed in 10.7.2. I have had an excellent Lion experience on my 27" late 2009 iMac and Macbook Pro, neither which came with Lion pre-installed.
Also my recommendation is, since it's only $30 is to buy it, install it on a partition on your hard drive and run your apps on it for testing, if you're fine with it then dump your Snow Leopard install and move on with Lion. You will mostly positive but some negative responses here, it's best to try it out on a partition if you're really that concerned.
Don't let people tell you that Lion is only designed for new Macs, they are wrong. Ignore one guy here with the initials "SB", he hates Lion and will try to convince you to stay on Snow Leopard just to satisfy his own agenda against Apple. :)

fisherking
Dec 19, 2011, 11:53 AM

seriously...why do u need us to decide for you?
what are your needs? what mac do u use?
what apps?

it's up to you dude. get it now, or later. or never.
especially without knowing everything about your needs, how can anyone tell u when to upgrade?

i got lion the day it came out, and no regrets.
will be happy to see 10.7.3...and 10.7.4, etc for that matter.

it's up to you.

Frankie4Fingers
Dec 19, 2011, 11:54 AM
If you currently rely on Spaces in snow leopard now... or are really a heavy Expose user you might want to rethink. I'd upgrade but install it on external drive to play with first.

sweetbrat
Dec 19, 2011, 12:29 PM
If you're unsure, you could install it on a partition to test it out. Have you read reviews of Lion? Have you made sure that you won't be losing any of your applications if you upgrade (anything that runs on Rosetta is Snow Leopard won't work). If you've read reviews and some of the posts on MacRumors, you know some people love Lion and some people hate it. The best you can do is research it yourself and make your own decision. We can say yes you should or no you shouldn't, but in the end you're the one that has to live with it.

If you do decide to upgrade, make sure you've done a full backup first. That way you can go back to Snow Leopard if something doesn't work out for you.

gumblecosby
Dec 19, 2011, 01:55 PM
Lion is stable now. If you want to update you will be fine. Well it was for me when going from 10.6.8 to 10.7.2. Ive also also updated two other machines to Lion when 10.7.1 came out. They also has no issues with stability. Id recommend it so long as you have no programs that are PowerPC only.

BoxerBoy
Dec 20, 2011, 12:02 PM
I am also thinking of changing to Lion. I have my back ups on Time Capsule via Time Machine, will this give me access to Snow Leopard if I wish to revert back.

COMtnBiker
Dec 20, 2011, 12:07 PM
I'm also on the fence:

PROs:
- ability to use iCloud (MobileMe going away next year - yikes)

CONs:
- My perception is that it's not as bulletproof as SL
- Calendar seems more difficult to use with multiple calendars
- Address book seems to be more difficult as well

I'm happy to be "set straight" and move ahead. My main motivation is that I need to either do it since MobileMe is going away, or keep SL and use Google to sync everything.

:cool:

Simplicated
Dec 20, 2011, 12:43 PM
Ignore one guy here with the initials "SB", he hates Lion and will try to convince you to stay on Snow Leopard just to satisfy his own agenda against Apple. :)

Woah does one's opinion really bother you that much?

fisherking
Dec 20, 2011, 12:55 PM
I'm also on the fence:

PROs:
- ability to use iCloud (MobileMe going away next year - yikes)

CONs:
- My perception is that it's not as bulletproof as SL
- Calendar seems more difficult to use with multiple calendars
- Address book seems to be more difficult as well

I'm happy to be "set straight" and move ahead. My main motivation is that I need to either do it since MobileMe is going away, or keep SL and use Google to sync everything.

:cool:

seems stable to me.
the calendar and address book are just UGLY, they work fine...
(you can fix the ugliness with the app "lion tweaks")

YMark
Dec 20, 2011, 12:58 PM
Ignore one guy here with the initials "SB", he hates Lion and will try to convince you to stay on Snow Leopard just to satisfy his own agenda against Apple. :)

My initials aren't SB, and I think LION sucks. It was a rushed to release OS that has a number of problems across many platforms. It also works well on several platforms. But it is nowhere near as stable as Snow Leopard.

That being said I have 3 Macs, two on Lion and one on Snow Leopard. The one on SL was on Lion, but I moved it back because I got sick of Lion issues.

My advice to the OP, I wouldn't move unless you need something that Lion offers.

Schtumple
Dec 20, 2011, 01:04 PM
I prefer Lion to Snow Leopard and can easily tell the difference when using a machine with SL on it, there's a few nifty gesture shortcuts that Lion brings in that are really nice and slowly become a day to day standard that you get very used to.

Considering how INCREDIBLY cheap it is as well, I'd say get it, worse case scenario you don't like it and go back to SL.

The first release of Lion had a few minor glitches, as all first releases have, but it's received the updates to patch them and now it's all fine and dandy.

xgman
Dec 20, 2011, 01:42 PM
Only wait if you want Safari to feel snapier! :D

TheLegend
Dec 21, 2011, 06:16 PM
I too am tempted to get Lion.

I rely on Expose a lot, and I've been told that I shouldn't upgrade because Mission Control is apparently not as good.

I've had a bit of experience with Lion, and it seemed alright except for that feature, I'd only be going to it for the iCloud functionality though.

kristoffer4
Dec 22, 2011, 06:18 AM
I am also temped to upgrade.

PROs:
-iCloud
-Nicer UI

CONs:
- Not as smooth running as SL? Uses more CPU?
- Worse battery time on my April MBP 13" i5?

Schtumple
Dec 22, 2011, 09:10 AM

PROs:
-iCloud
-Nicer UI

CONs:

No change to battery life for me and doesn't run any slower than SL, some things are faster, loading certain smaller apps for example.

Krazy Bill
Dec 22, 2011, 11:30 AM

PROs:
-iCloud
-Nicer UI

CONs:

That's about the gist of it from my experience. I'm back on snow leopard again and can certainly attest to it's speed and buttery smooth graphics. Hadn't realized how much I missed it. Boots much faster as well. (It's nice to be able to boot to a clean desktop without pressing a toggle).

And regardless of what others say here... battery life is definitely much better in SL. I have the same routine every day. 5.5 hours under Lion and now 6.5 again with SL.

xgman
Dec 22, 2011, 03:12 PM
I would say wait for 10.8 to come out, then after 10.8.2 ask the question here again about 10.8.3 and so on. . . . please . . . :rolleyes:

olderone
Dec 22, 2011, 08:05 PM
I installed lion on my MacBook Pro, which ran fine on snow leopard and now ... nothing but problems...no other changes but the OS "upgrade". Apps crash, it is slower, it won't shut down, awful... if this performance was acceptable I never would have moved from MS windows.

kemo
Jan 4, 2012, 08:04 AM
I tried Lion 3 times.. once it comes out - reverted back after 2 days, but okey, I understand its "new" OS, it needs time, so I've waited until 10.7.1 .. same situations except it was faster.. like 24 hours later I was back on SL, and finally once the 10.7.2 comes out I finally said, come on Apple, you have fixed all the issues, so I gave it a shot, unfortunately I went even faster than 24 hours, the OS is not that snappy for me ( mid 2010 i5, 8GB RAM, Intel SSD) as SL is and I really rely on that in my work every day. I hate to be waiting for something and nothing is crashing and lagging and freezing like on Lion. I'm really dissapointed about Lion and all I have is just hope they finally make it usable for all users in 10.7.3.

Krazy Bill
Jan 4, 2012, 09:28 AM
I'm really dissapointed about Lion and all I have is just hope they finally make it usable for all users in 10.7.3.

Don't hold your breath. I believe most of 10.7.3 will be more tweaks pertaining to iCloud.

And I really doubt Apple is worried about people with sluggish systems so don't expect it to perform vastly different. As hardware tech gets faster, the code of any OS seems to demand more from it making it bloated. You can tell simply by reinstalling Snow Leopard... it flies compared to Lion.

alksion
Jan 4, 2012, 08:33 PM
Why do people get down ranked when talking positive about Lion?

I have it on my MacBook and not on my iMac.. Only reason I will probably put it on my iMac is for the iCloud features.

Only problem (as of yesterday) with Lion is that I have to reconnect to my WiFi almost every time the computer wakes from sleep!

theSeb
Jan 5, 2012, 02:26 AM
Why do people get down ranked when talking positive about Lion?

I have it on my MacBook and not on my iMac.. Only reason I will probably put it on my iMac is for the iCloud features.

Only problem (as of yesterday) with Lion is that I have to reconnect to my WiFi almost every time the computer wakes from sleep!

Because all the cool kids prefer Snow Leopard. ;)

Krazy Bill
Jan 5, 2012, 08:34 AM
Why do people get down ranked when talking positive about Lion?Because Lion didn't come with full screen chess as promised. :)

Only problem (as of yesterday) with Lion is that I have to reconnect to my WiFi almost every time the computer wakes from sleep!Yep. That's why I went back to SL. 6 weeks now and not a single wi-fi dropout.

But if I didn't have an Exchange account and Outlook, I'd still need Lion for iCloud.

hymark999
Jan 19, 2012, 02:30 PM
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro - 8GB of RAM. Upgrading to Lion has been nothing but just short of a nightmare. I thought I left the PC world behind - with Lion I think I have returned to that ugly world. Since upgrade I have had to reboot on a regular basis, Finder freezes, programs inexplicably close, Fusion 4 is now freezing - need I say more. There is absolutely NOTHING compelling about LION to take the risk. I should have known better than to upgrade when I already had a good thing. Apple just dropped down to a level that is much closer to the PC world - ugh!

iphonewizard
Jan 21, 2012, 07:51 PM
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro - 8GB of RAM. Upgrading to Lion has been nothing but just short of a nightmare. I thought I left the PC world behind - with Lion I think I have returned to that ugly world. Since upgrade I have had to reboot on a regular basis, Finder freezes, programs inexplicably close, Fusion 4 is now freezing - need I say more. There is absolutely NOTHING compelling about LION to take the risk. I should have known better than to upgrade when I already had a good thing. Apple just dropped down to a level that is much closer to the PC world - ugh!

I had many problems with upgrading from SL to Lion with my 2011 early Macbook Pro. Poor battery, sloppy memory management, and slow as heck.

When I did a fresh install, all problems went away. I have my 7 hours back on the battery. Nice and smooth. Works like a champ. I'm staying with Lion. I would suggest a fresh install of Lion and forget the time machine restore.

ScottishCaptain
Jan 21, 2012, 08:41 PM
Because all the cool kids prefer Snow Leopard. ;)

Nah, just the people who use their computers to do stuff. You know. Like making money. Nothing important really.

-Sc

daneoni
Jan 22, 2012, 02:29 AM
Is it still that bad? i was actually considering doing the upgrade this weekend as a geek project since i'm bored.

theSeb
Jan 22, 2012, 03:55 AM
Nah, just the people who use their computers to do stuff. You know. Like making money. Nothing important really.

-Sc

I am 33 and make money using my computer. I can even make money with Lion.