PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyone here that has a Mac but does NOT have a Windows PC?

Gary King
May 30, 2005, 03:09 PM
Is there anyone here that has a Mac but does NOT have a Windows PC at the same time? In the same household, anyways?

Just curious as to whether having a Windows PC is entirely optional - at least for some people.

And, if you only use your Mac for less than, say, an hour a week... then you don't count :p

Applespider
May 30, 2005, 03:12 PM
I think you'll find quite a lot of us.

I have a Mac at home but no PC (I got rid of it in December 03). I use a PC at work but prefer working at home - I can do everything I need to on my Mac at home.

zach
May 30, 2005, 03:16 PM
I have a PC.

It's been on without a reboot for 6 months now, it also has no monitor hooked up to it.

It runs Linux :D

wordmunger
May 30, 2005, 03:31 PM
I have 5 Macs and no PCs; haven't ever had a PC in the house -- I "switched" from a Commodore 64 in 1987. I did briefly own a PC for my business, which I used for testing Web sites and for running QuickBooks for the period when there wasn't a Mac version.

About the only reason I can think of for wanting a PC now would be the same: testing Web sites to make sure they work cross-platform.

tekno_geek911
May 30, 2005, 03:35 PM
No PC's here and I will never buy one again....Unless it runs OS X ;)

Nickygoat
May 30, 2005, 03:36 PM
I have no PCs. My PM is my main machine and I have a G3 iMac from '99. I use PCs at work but thats because we have a custom system - Starkis anybody? :p . Never needed, nor wanted, a PC and I can't envision ever buying one :D

mkrishnan
May 30, 2005, 03:38 PM
I don't own a PC at the moment, but have in the past. I use them sometimes at school -- primarily for stats software that isn't available or doesn't work well on Macs.

bousozoku
May 30, 2005, 03:41 PM
I've not had a real x86 machine in house since 1993 when I got my first Mac. I've had Virtual PC for emulating a Windows machine but I haven't even had that running for months and haven't found a real need.

There are incompatibilities because some websites are created for Internet Exploder and some use Active X plug-ins but for the most part, I have no real need of Windows. Optional need has to do with a sudden need for laughter and/or frustration. :p

Mitthrawnuruodo
May 30, 2005, 03:41 PM
Only two operating computers in our household: My girlfriends Pismo and my iBook G4. No Windows in sight... ;)

(I also have 4 non-operational computers in the basement, a Pentium III 450 with some Linux distribution on it (RedHat 9, I think it was) and a Power Mac 7500, Performa 630 and Performa 475 running respectively Mac OS 9.1, 8.6 and 7.6 (as far as I can remember, I haven't fired any of those up for quite a while...)

Kushiro
May 30, 2005, 03:44 PM
Mine was an all Apple and/or Mac home from elementary school through college, when I was forced to buy a PC to run some required programs. That POS laptop lasted almost exactly 1 year before it died on me, and I switched back as soon as I could get away.

The broken wreck of a laptop is still in the closet, so I suppose I can't say I don't have a PC in the house, but I can say that I don't have a working PC around.

Now if only I could get rid of the machine at the office....

Kush

Macky-Mac
May 30, 2005, 03:47 PM
no PC here either.....had one back in the late 1980s but it's been Macs only ever since

tombo
May 30, 2005, 03:51 PM
Yeah! No Windows for me. Doubt I ever will.

We'd never had a pc at my folks' home either: Went from an Atari ST to an LC II to a 7200 to our B&W.

-Until my dad's school bought him a Windows lappie to do his teaching stuff on.

SteveZissou
May 30, 2005, 03:52 PM
I have only even owned macs in my adult life.
I can do everything and anything my PC brethen can, just a lot faster, better and without viruses!

mcarnes
May 30, 2005, 03:57 PM
I've had 7 macs since 1985. I've never owned a PC, though I do use them at work. Unless there is a special program that you must use a PC for (that is, a very specific program for your work) you can do everything on a mac with greater efficiency and better workflow.

munkle
May 30, 2005, 03:58 PM
I've got a couple of old PC's lying about, haven't booted them up for a long time though! I think most Mac users are familiar with Windows and are thus better equipped to discuss the merits of both platforms, whilst most avid Windows users still equate Macs with System 7 :eek: :p

tristan
May 30, 2005, 04:05 PM
Powerbook at home, Dell at work, and looking for a new contract. :-)

law guy
May 30, 2005, 04:07 PM
I have a thinkpad issued by my IT Dept and updated every two years or so. We have some PC skeletons that we actually own. A compaq PC in parts (one of the budget ones that was junk when it was brand new - used it for only two years or so) and a Toshiba Satallite Pro 440CDT - still runs (VERY slowly) Win 98 - it has a 133 Mhz Pentium (with MMX) and 80 MB of RAM (with the upgraded memory). It just refuses to die (Toshibas were THE business notebook back in 97 in the PC world and the things are built like tanks) so it lingers around the house for my daughter to pretend to type on from time-to-time (the keyboard was great to begin with - really over built as it still has great feel after much toddler abuse). My wife and I went through a bunch of PCs between my IIsi and my G4 PM. They each only seemed to last a few years - almost felt like they were designed to be disposable (Toshiba and IBM business notebooks excluded). :rolleyes:

furryrabidbunny
May 30, 2005, 04:10 PM
i've never owned a PC in my life... or have ever had one in my house longer than a day. Never plan on owning one... unless apple disappears somehow

daveL
May 30, 2005, 04:10 PM
I exorcized Windows from our house last year. We have 3 Macs. I also have an AMD server for running Linux distros and Solaris.

swheeler
May 30, 2005, 04:11 PM
Never owned a Windows PC, my Mac works better for everything except gaming, my xbox works better for games.

nagromme
May 30, 2005, 04:14 PM
Well, I still own a PC but I never turn it on anymore... and I own Virtual PC and I never use THAT anymore either.

I only ever needed a PC for compatibility with Windows clients of my business, in certain rare and specific situations specific to my field. Those have long since changed, and although I like the "idea" that I can turn on the PC if I need to test something... it doesn't actually come up in practice.

Most of the Mac owners I know did not keep their old machine either.

So yes, owning a PC is most certainly optional for many, even most, people.

The need for a PC means the need for a specific, vital app that you can't find an equivalent for on Mac. So it really only applies in very specific cases. It's not exactly rare to find someone who has ONE of those cases apply to them. But it's certainly not at all rare for someone to have none of those cases apply. Then you're Windows-free :)

Peterkro
May 30, 2005, 04:29 PM
I have a PC its gathering dust out back,but it was handy a few weeks ago when my mates videocard went west,I hauled out the old 3dlabs card stuck it in his and bob's your uncle(been in britspeak thread :) ).

ITASOR
May 30, 2005, 04:42 PM
We have a DELL and my dad has a XP laptop. I have the same laptop, but I'm trying to sell it to convert 100% to Macs. It's in my sig. I want a 12" PB!

jimsowden
May 30, 2005, 05:00 PM
I couldn't live without my PC. Sure the mac is great, but I kill my friend on his 1.67ghz Powerbook 128 ATi 9700 at various games. Macs just don't game.

WinterMute
May 30, 2005, 05:35 PM
Never owned a PC, never used on at work either, it's always been either Macs or Atari's in the studios, and we have a 100% Mac dept in the Uni.

I hope to be able to go my entire adult life without using a PC.... Well, assuming they stay as far behind the Apple OS that is, I'm not going to use a system out of blind loyalty if it's crap.

My family is joining in too, my sister now has an eMac and my mum is going to buy an iMac when she moves into her new house in July... :D

RacerX
May 30, 2005, 05:42 PM
Is there anyone here that has a Mac but does NOT have a Windows PC at the same time? In the same household, anyways?

Just curious as to whether having a Windows PC is entirely optional - at least for some people.
I've never had Windows running on actual hardware in my home (far too dangerous a combination if you ask me), and I don't use any Microsoft software (been Microsoft-free since 2002) on any of my systems.

Operating systems on the computers running around me at this very moment...Mac OS X v10.2.8
Mac OS X v10.3.9
Rhapsody 5.6
Rhapsody 5.1
OPENSTEP 4.2
Mac OS 8.6
Mac OS 8.1
IRIX 6.2

And, if you only use your Mac for less than, say, an hour a week... then you don't count :p
Almost all the waking hours of my day are spend on my systems.

I will never, ever, own a PC with Windows. And Microsoft software will never defile any of my systems (specially none of my PCs). :eek:

mduser63
May 30, 2005, 06:02 PM
I have a PC that I got free shortly after I got my PowerBook. I've used it for maybe 3 hours total in the last 8 months (for Windows, I do play around with Linux on it a little). I sold the PC I had before I switched and used the money to buy my PowerBook. I have to use PCs for school, and will likely have to use them in the future for work, but for general computer use, I have no use for PCs anymore. I wouldn't feel bad at all if I had to sell my PC and go Mac-only.

eXan
May 30, 2005, 06:04 PM
Is there anyone here that has a Mac but does NOT have a Windows PC at the same time?

Me!

P.S.: That PC notebook in my sig is not mine and i don't even touch it
:D

risc
May 30, 2005, 06:08 PM
Is there anyone here that has a Mac but does NOT have a Windows PC at the same time?

I've never had a PC running Windows, I moved from the Amiga to PCs running Linux or *BSD, at our house at the moment we have 3 Macs and a single Linux box hidden away in the corner working as a gateway.

DakotaGuy
May 30, 2005, 06:12 PM
No PC here.

RAS admin
May 30, 2005, 06:16 PM
I have also never owned a PC. I don't even use Virtual PC but I have to admit that I use Microsoft Word.

I have had a Classic II, PPC 7100 AV, G3 350MHz, G4 dual 1GHz, and now a G5 dual 2.5GHz....

I've never wished I had a PC, ever. Probably because I don't play video games...

toothpaste
May 30, 2005, 06:17 PM
I have a pc, it runs linux :D

But I spend most of my time on my dual 2.5 g5.

Raid
May 30, 2005, 06:27 PM
I have three macs currently (but one is a Performa 6320CD that I'm cleaning up before I donate it to a charity), and no PC's. Unfortunately I have to deal with PC's at work, the only time I deal with PC's at home is when I play City of Heroes on my roommates computer. Everything else I do on a Mac, which includes when I work from home! :)

Vader
May 30, 2005, 06:36 PM
There hasn't been a pc in my house for 30 years!

Only time I ever use a pc is at the library to look up a book in their cataloge.

There has been PCs in my house before, because whoever lived here before us ran a buisness and used PCs.

crap freakboy
May 30, 2005, 06:40 PM
Been using Macs since '89, messed around with a XP PC for the first time ever last Christmas at my father-in-laws. Trying to get his new Canon powershot to connect to it, my god what a pain. Install this, install that, wizard here and there...everything took ages and when we'd updated the update it still took an age to work.
My Canon on the other hand when first connect to my G4 was 'Would you like to create a iPhoto library?'...easypeasy. To be honest I wouldnt have time to spend maintaining a M$ PC if thats the amount of jumping through hoops you have to do. They can keep their faster chips and GPUs as far as I'm concerned, as I'm not really interested in becoming a software/hardware engineer just to surf, email, edit movies etc. :)

evilernie
May 30, 2005, 06:40 PM
I don't have a pc, I have never had a pc, and I never will have a pc as long as Apple is in business. I've had three macs since 1995.

My wife however has a Compaq laptop which she purchased before I got my Powerbook. Now she is jealous... :D

shake
May 30, 2005, 06:44 PM
i have owned many macs (and even a couple of Apple II's!). i have one PC in the house that i just use for gaming (Dungeon Siege & Doom3). i do everything on my mac, except play those 2 games.

tangerineyum
May 30, 2005, 06:55 PM
I had never even used a PC till i was a junior is highs school ! i would be crazy to actually bring one into my home. I might almost be forced to use the PC's at work, but we have a trusty ibook that has everything i could possibly need for managing medical charts, contacts and appointments. I just got my girlfriend to switch even tho her dad is a MS fanboy and soon she'll be in a pc free apartment in santa monica.

cyanide
May 30, 2005, 07:18 PM
I am PCless as well. Well i guess technically a Mac is a PC, but that's a ball for another bull to bite. This house...is CLEAN!

jenpetosa
May 30, 2005, 07:25 PM
I'm 31. Grew up with Macs. First one in my house was a Apple II+. Anyone had that one? :) I remember the Apple IIe in grade school. I think I used a PC in college labs a couple times, but never by choice. And only for word docs and email. In college, I bought a Power Mac 7100. Haven't even touched a PC since.

I've never heard a good reason to own a PC. :D

Foniks Munkee
May 30, 2005, 07:29 PM
I love my Windows PC's - I have 3. But I also have a (newish) iBook which I love. I'm also looking at a desktop Mac.

There is also a Titanium Powerbook G3 and a Mac G4 Cube, not sure of the rest of the specs, these are my room-mates computers (who also has 1 additional PC). I played around on those Macs for while before realising they were wonderful and bought the iBook, to test the water. I'm very pleased.

JonMaker
May 30, 2005, 07:30 PM
No M$ software.

Purely OS X and Slackware.

There's no Windoze here.

Ahhhhhh... :)

zelmo
May 30, 2005, 07:37 PM
We have three Macs, and my wife recently got a PC. The ONLY reason we have the PC is that a lot of the homeschooling software she wants to use is PC only.

iGary
May 30, 2005, 07:50 PM
I have three Macs.

No peecees fo me! :D

leekohler
May 30, 2005, 07:53 PM
No PCs for me either. I also use a Mac at work and I have 2 at home. I've never needed a PC for anything.

Flynnstone
May 30, 2005, 07:56 PM
4 PCs, 2 Macs.
I'll clarify: 1 PC running Windows 2000, 3 gather dust. (might be old DOS on 2)
Macs : 1.8 G5 SP. Used the most. And a Mac Mini attached to my HD TV.

I used to be all PCs. As you can see I've almost completely switched. Now if more companies would port engineering SW to OS X !

I had a Linux machine set up. Its been replaced by the mini :)

mariahlullaby
May 30, 2005, 08:23 PM
Well, I have a PowerBook for myself, but my parents still use a 5 year old Dell in the basement. I never use it, only when I need to print something or fix something for my mom :p. They're also considering switching to Mac too; their computer is dying (it's also running on 128 MB of RAM on XP, they won't let me upgrade it). I'm hoping for a G5 iMac, because it was either the PB or the iMac when I bought mine :p. I think my mom's going to get an iBook first, though. Oh, and my grandmother is also making the "switch"; my aunt is giving her her old iMac G4 (my grandmother just learned how to use a computer recently, an ancient Windows machine, so she really has no idea what the switch is or an Operating System for that matter; she just likes to use it for email and sending me various chain letters lol).

dsharits
May 30, 2005, 08:27 PM
I personally don't have a PC, and I have absolutely no use for one. There is one in my house, but it's my dad's, and I never use it. The only time I really ever touch it is when he has a problem with it. :p

aussie_geek
May 30, 2005, 08:57 PM
PC? Windows? What's that??

No PC's here either. I have 4 Macs at work - including my PowerBook and two at home.

Over the last 15 years, I have probably used a Windows OS machine for a total time of less than 45 seconds. I avoid them - hence my trusty PowerBook is by my side.

I still often get people saying 'you can't do that on a Mac".

I prove them wrong - every time. Will they ever learn??

On the good side, my PowerBook still turns heads from time to time. :p

aussie_geek

Mr. Anderson
May 30, 2005, 09:07 PM
I've never had a PC at work or home. I have worked on Sun Workstations before I got my first Mac....

D

MOFS
May 30, 2005, 09:10 PM

If what I say has been said before, then I do apologise - I'm a bit drunk, and its 10 past 3! :o My gut feeling is that most everyone will use a PC reguarly (every week or so) due to the nature of the beast. The fact that it seems to be only graphic designers ho use Macs exclusively is surely something that Apple need to address. :)

EDIT: Noticed I never posted the answer to the question! My family has never owned a PC running DOS or Windows. We have owned thusfar...

An Amstrad (dunno what OS - definitely not DOS)
Performa 5200
iMac G3 600Mhz
iBook G3 600Mhz (what I use now)

My dad also used to use for work a series of Compaq notebooks - shows how much Windows penetrates the marketplace... :(

sjpetry
May 30, 2005, 09:19 PM
Been PC free since early December. Never look back. ;)

ravenvii
May 30, 2005, 09:32 PM
Well I have a PC NOW... but guess what? It's on SALE! (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=129411) :D

According to my minimalist living goals, I'll be Mac-only for the foreseeable future. Apple 4 iLife.

Lancetx
May 30, 2005, 09:54 PM
We have 3 Macs and zero Windows PCs in this household. I sold my last PC over a year ago. And as for gaming, I have a PS2 for that...

cheekyspanky
May 30, 2005, 10:10 PM
I had a PC up until March this year - which I sold and then bought a Mac mini!

I don't miss the PC at all, very pleased with my purchase so far :)

njmac
May 30, 2005, 10:25 PM
I use my 12" PB for all of my computing needs. I have an old, slow pc and have not turned it on in months. Can't think of any reason that I will need to in the future either.

link92
May 30, 2005, 10:36 PM
Hopefully getting rid of all the x86 computers in this house - then the only thing running Windows will be my PowerMac with Virtual PC...

Statik
May 30, 2005, 11:17 PM
I have a PC, but it is sitting in various pieces in my basement, does that count? :) Haven't had a reason to boot the PC up since buying my first Mac 1.5 years ago.

tpjunkie
May 30, 2005, 11:31 PM
Never had a PC, I have had Macs since 1987...

isaacc7
May 30, 2005, 11:38 PM
I've been Windows free for three years now. Can't really see any reason to go back to Windows, or Microsoft for that matter. I'm currently running a 600 mhz iBook and a 450mhz G4 that used to be a beige G3 desktop computer.

Isaac

Xtremehkr
May 31, 2005, 12:18 AM
The only PC I ever bought was a Compaq, in the mid 90s. The PC didn't see the year 2000. I bought an iMac in 2001 and haven't looked back.

Cheese
May 31, 2005, 12:42 AM
I have not had a PeeCee anywhere, in any of my dwellings for the past six and a half years. I do not miss windows, not even a tiny bit. I am forced to use a wintel machine at my dayjob, but that is for less than 15 minutes per day, so... does that count? I have two iMacs... no waiting... at home. Most days I am spending2 to 4 hours per day on at least one of my iMacs. Being productive, making music, playing, posting on MR whenever I can find time. I often ask myself the "Univeral Test Question", which is, "How did I do this before". My usual answer, when talking about computers in general, is that prior to life with my Apple computer, there was a lot of stress and hassle. I now spend more time enjoying the experience of whatever I'm doing with my Mac, and virtually no time trying to figure out how to make my machine do something.

Bern
May 31, 2005, 01:29 AM
What's a Windows PC? :confused:

ahamilt2
May 31, 2005, 01:34 AM
I have only had macs while growing up and now it's the only thing I use in my own home, besides my roommate's PCs. I have Win2000 machine at work, and it makes my life miserable (I still can't find and am not even sure if there is an applications folder). Win2000 does have features comparable to Expose and the dock, but they're not done with the same elegance.

jiv3turkey748
May 31, 2005, 01:36 AM
ya it seems like everyone on here has a pc and a mac i only have a mac but my mom has a pc so there is a pc in my house (but her next computer will be an ibook)

shadowmoses
May 31, 2005, 02:11 AM
Only a powermac G4 in my house along with 2 iBook G4's that are my brother and dad's computers

Chappers
May 31, 2005, 02:28 AM
What's a Windows PC? :confused:

beat me to it.

So my new comment will be - never had one, don't want one and won't have one.

Jaffa Cake
May 31, 2005, 02:46 AM
No Windows PC here Ė I wouldn't allow one in the house. ;)

Jo-Kun
May 31, 2005, 02:50 AM
Mac all the way... there is no reason I would need a Windows PC... everything I need is available for Mac

the only thing I did realise I couldn't do at first is playing solitaire :p but then there is MacSolitaire ;-) se no reason at all to go for a Windows eXtremecraP system

redeye be
May 31, 2005, 04:13 AM
I've used Macs to learn my way around computers since the day my daddy let me play with it :D. Must have been maybe 18-20 years ago. At the start of my second year in getting a Bachelor (A1 actualy) in Programming i decided it was time to buy a PC... Borland C++ didn't really run on Virtual PC back then. It was time to finaly code something.
The next year they invented a specialisation in Networking, bye bye programming, i should've stayed with mac.

My trip on the PC side did leave me a nice -but ugly ;)- desktop (AMD Duron 1,4 Ghz) and a Vaio C1.
The desktop i use for folding, playing Halo, sometimes surfing, if the page doesn't work on my mini.
On the vaio i never seem to finish installing linux. Lack of knowledge (not a problem per se) and procrastination (and a lot to procrastinate)...

Passante
May 31, 2005, 05:26 AM
Never had to use a PC until my office switched because half the office needed to run a niche application. Had to add an IT technician to the staff to handle the PC support. Why does one need a PC? To run games or the $5 discount programs in the clearance bin at Staples and Costco?

Mac Plus, IIsi, Quadra 650, iMac G3 DV, 1.25 DP MDD G4, 12" Powerbook rev c.

deanbo
May 31, 2005, 05:41 AM
Yet. I will be getting one, before the year is out. (Gaming is crap on the Mac).
PC hardware itself is pretty nice in some cases. It's the OS that I'm not so keen on.

California
May 31, 2005, 11:29 AM
I've NEVER had a PC and frankly have pushed Apples on all my family and friends since 1989.

My own chain of title runs
family Apple II in the 80's.
Worked on school's MAC II in late 80's.
Rented a Mac SE 1990 !
Bought a Mac Classic in 91
Powerbook 100 in 92/93
Bought a PB 145b in 94
Family bought LC III in 93
Powerbook 190 in 98
Powerbook Titanium 400 in 2001
Ibook 700mhz in 2002
Family iMac 500 in 2002

All of the old machines still run, btw, except Apple II because I have no idea what happened to it.

I can't believe I actually rented an Apple back in the day but I needed it for work!

PC less for 20 years.

Mord
May 31, 2005, 11:39 AM
i dont have a working pc atm, and i see no reason to need one unless, like me you play games and do stuff at school that requires it (cisco)

wwooden
May 31, 2005, 12:07 PM
I've never owned a PC, my dad was in education for 13 years, so we had a ton of Apple II's. He bought some PowerBooks for while, and now I have my own.

bartelby
May 31, 2005, 12:24 PM
See sig.
No PCs there...

I did have a PC laptop once, I used it as a door stop...until it couldn't even manage to do that properly!!!

SilverLight
May 31, 2005, 12:34 PM
just bought an iMac. i have a windows pc but its a gateway 2000 with 32mb ram, 2gb of space so that box full of componets doesnt count as a computer!

way2rude
May 31, 2005, 01:00 PM
I've only ever had a mac. I have NEVER thought to myself, "I wish I had a pc so that I can do this, or that. Granted, there are more applications for pc than for macs, but, the essential programs are there.
Rudeman!
:cool:

KingSleaze
May 31, 2005, 01:34 PM
Only had Apples in my house, starting with an Apple IIc, II GS, Mac IIx, powerbook 180c, Performa 5215, iMac G3 400, powerbook G4 1.25. Never a Wintel box in my house. Unfortunately for my unenlightened employers, I've had the dubious joy of "using" pc's at work.

OnaMacSince1989
May 31, 2005, 01:40 PM
I've never had a PC and probably never will (as long as Apple keeps making computers). The only non-Mac I've ever owned was a Commodore-64 in the early to mid 1980's!

I primarily use my Mac for the Internet (Safari, Mail, & Quicktime) and other home computing functions (iTunes, iPhoto, and MS Office). I don't see any need to own both platforms, other than for the variety of games available for PC. However, for games, I use my GameCube and Xbox. It's much more comfortable to play games on the TV while sitting on the couch instead of at the desk.

I have been stuck using PC's at work, and we finally updated to XP this year. Was on NT for almost 5 years, and was on 3.1 for far too long prior to that. The worst part of our set up, is that we are required to use the MSIE browser and cannot install any other browser. Pop-ups are endless.

My current (New) iMac:
20" iMac Rev.B 2-GHz G5, 1-GB RAM, 250-GB HD (2005)

My previous Macs:
eMac 1-GHz G4, 128-MB RAM, 60-GB HD (2003)
iMac DV 400-MHz G3, 64-MB RAM, 10-GB HD (2000)
iMac Rev.B 233-MHz G3, 32-MB RAM, 4-GB HD (1999)
Some long forgotten Motorola Mac Clone PPC (specs uknown)
Performa 6220 75-MHz PPC 603, 16-MB RAM, 500-MB HD (1995)
LC III 25-MHz 68030, 4-MB RAM, 80-MB HD (1993)
Mac Plus 8-MHz 68000, 1-MB RAM, No HD (1989)

Note: I update fairly often, but none of these were dead or obsolete when I moved on. Some were handed down to family and some were sold on eBay. I've been pleasantly surprised at the good resale values for the Macs I've sold! :)

bit.shiftr
May 31, 2005, 02:06 PM
I've got a PC, one that I built myself, but it hasn't been booted for about a month now. I'm a switcher and after getting a Powerbook about a year ago I just purchased a Powermac to replace my primary PC. I may keep the PC for games. I use PC's at work so I don't know if in the future I can be totally Mac or not. If it's my choice I will be! :rolleyes:

matthew24
May 31, 2005, 03:41 PM
After I switched I thought that I still needed a PC for some 'specific' applications, it soon came out that there were better equivalent programs on OSX, so I was able to give my PC away. Who needs a PC anyway?

csubear
May 31, 2005, 04:16 PM
Another vote for no window's PC in the house.

I do have an older x86 linux box running as a file server...

Yebot
May 31, 2005, 04:22 PM
I built a PC from parts in 2000 just to see if I could do it. It worked but I donít think I ever did anything useful with it.

Its parts again.

applejack
May 31, 2005, 05:34 PM
Never had a PC, though I've considered it - particularly in the mid-90's grey box era before Stevie came back. I went SE, 7200, ibookG3, imacG5.

ScruffyTheMac
May 31, 2005, 05:44 PM
I have an Alienware PC with Windows XP Pro sitting in a closet; hasn't been booted in almost a year. Totally Mac/OSX at home.

Everything I want to do on a computer at home just works on Macs (music library, DVR, DVD, home video). I've been using a G4 Powerbook for the past 2.5 years; just got a dual 2.7 G5 last week and I'm in Mac heaven now.

The Alienware (and it's Compaq predecessor) were like bad science projects; never again Wintel at home. At work, my Dell Windows 2000 laptop (OS mangled by the IT dept.) is a disaster of epic proportions.

aloofman
May 31, 2005, 05:54 PM
No PCs at my place. I also use a Mac at work, although occasionally I'm forced to do something on Windoze for work-related reasons. At home, I have no need for a PC. I play my games on a PS2.

evil_santa
May 31, 2005, 06:04 PM
no PCs at home, was forced into using XP at work about 6 months ago, up until then had only used atari & Mac. Talk at work is that the PC is going to be replaced with a G5 as the dell doesnt do video editing very well! I cant think of a reason why I would want a windows PC at home.

yellow
May 31, 2005, 06:05 PM
I have, at no point in my life (and I've owned a computer since 1983), had anything except an Apple product in my home.

Sirus The Virus
May 31, 2005, 06:07 PM
What if my Mom has one? But I won't even go near it let alone touch it. I'm done with M$, I almost refuse to use windows, the only case is at school and I catch myself doing Mac commands on the PC's and end up launching the anti-virus or something. I live in a house with I PC but I won't use it.

ibookowner2
May 31, 2005, 06:12 PM
My Family has never owned a pc.

pianojoe
May 31, 2005, 06:22 PM
In 1993, I switched from an Atari TT to an Apple PM 7100/80. Never owned a PC, although I admit, I've used VPC for some time when my bank used some strange proprietary software for online banking. As a freelance sound engineer, I sometimes work at recording studios that are PC only, and it's a PITA. I wonder how they can afford the downtime. (I know, I know, your XP box hasn't crashed in years... do you do realtime HQ 32 track audio?)

I have five Macs in the house, three of them WLANed, two etherneted to an ADSL router.

biohazard6969
May 31, 2005, 06:56 PM
i have always had macs, but recently my mom's bf gave up his brand new dell laptop to me for god knows what reason. i never use it but i don't want to sell it. i use it sometimes for msn webcam but other than that, i've been PC free for 15 years!

zap2
May 31, 2005, 07:14 PM
thats is my goal but my families store runs on windows computer i guess it will be as soon a i move out( or have the store run on apple computers) and my old pc( still P4) my goal soon is to replace it

simmonstwin
May 31, 2005, 07:57 PM
haven't owned a pc since november!! and lovin it

Lunja
May 31, 2005, 08:30 PM
The family home= only PC's (One Dell, which replaced the 1999 Tiny) and will probably never change to Mac. I've got to admit, I like this Dell (Dimension 4700). It makes dial-up feel like broadband, and hasn't caught a bug in 6 months...

HOWEVER, it does need 3 sets of anti-virus, and 2 firewalls. Plus spam and pop-up filters, and to be honest constricts what you want to do. But it runs word-processing apps, so it'll do for the family home...

HOWEVER (AGAIN...:)), my home is at Uni in Lincoln, and that's where my PC and my Mac live :) We started using eMacs at Uni for animating and video editing, and thought I'd get one, even though I had a £519, 6 month-old eMachines desktop sitting in the flat (which wouldn't let me access the net because of viruses)... I saw an ad for a second-hand eMac for £250, beat him down to £200, and am totally converted! The PC hasn't been used since, except for watching a DVD since the eMac doesn't have a superdrive.

Now to convince parents to replace the Dell with an iMac... :D

noel4r
May 31, 2005, 08:44 PM
I have 3 Macs and 1 PC that hasn't been used in about 2 years. It's an Acer 400 mhz Celeron. I would use it for something but it's painfully slow even w/ Windows 2000....

jeremy.king
May 31, 2005, 08:45 PM
I hate to break it to everyone but we all have a PC (Personal Computer), they are just not running Windows. ;)

Personally, I use a Wintel machine for work and enjoy my Apple household afterward.

jaw04005
May 31, 2005, 09:54 PM
I have a Tandy RXL 1000 in storage. Does that count as a PC? Otherwise we use only Apple Computers.

jedidropout
May 31, 2005, 09:57 PM
I have a powerbook g4, about to get an iMac g5. I have an old x86 machine I run Linux on, that's the closest thing to a pc I'll use.

me_94501
Jun 1, 2005, 12:18 AM
I have never owned a PC. I have Virtual PC but that is limited to testing web sites on IE.

finalcoolman
Jun 1, 2005, 12:17 PM
I have a VAIO desktop and my Powerbook and I love them both to bits. I really like the PC desktop/Mac laptop combination. Works really well for me. :)

iMetalG5
Jun 1, 2005, 12:27 PM
no Windows boxes in my house. But a while ago I did have a DELL as a desktop and a Sony VAIO as my laptop. Sold both to get my Macs.

I started out using an Apple IIE back in the day and then Macs in 1984. I stopped using Macs in 1995 and jumped on the Windoze craze. From 1995-2004 I used Windows only. I honestly have to say I hated OS 8/9 and thought it was a joke. :eek: but after the release of OS X I was kinda interested but not really... finally in 2004 I came back and boy am I happy.

xaphonyx
Jun 1, 2005, 12:48 PM
i found that after i got my g5 my relatively high-end pc, made a nice stool in the corner of the room for quests to sit on and to collect dust.

camomac
Jun 1, 2005, 12:52 PM
mac, since i switched in Jan.'05. my girlfriend gave me her sony laptop. she never used it, and well, i really don't either.

have had a peecee since 1994 (486sx25) till this year (P4 2.4 overclocked 3.0ghz). what is funny, i don't really miss it.

the only computer i really miss is my o'commodore 64.

deryk
Jun 1, 2005, 01:04 PM
I have never owned a wintel box. I started my computer life with an Apple IIe and I have remained with the apples and macs faithfully. I have found that I can create documents and communicate with people who do not use macs.

Unfortunately, my work life has forced me to use windoze computers. If I could, I would transition to a mac here.

Deryk

edit: fixed a typo

sonofapplepm
Jun 1, 2005, 01:11 PM
4 Macs here, Never owned a computer before i got the Clamshell iBook.
I've used PC's, but found Macs to be so much easier to get along with!

Willy S
Jun 1, 2005, 01:19 PM
We are substituding our PCs for 2 Macs. Now we are using an iMac G5 and a 3-year-old PC that is starting to fail. So we are now converting fully to Mac and that is a very easy decision. The question is just about which Mac to choose.

At the moment we are thinking about an eMac and use it for Photoshop and the iMac for the more power demanding tasks like editing videos.

yoda13
Jun 1, 2005, 01:33 PM
I have never had a PC ever. I use a Mac at my job, at grad school, and at home. Been a Mac user since 93 and before that I had an Apple IIC. :D

But I do own virtual PC. But I only use it for testing websites.

yippy
Jun 1, 2005, 01:38 PM
I have never paid for a PC or used one on a regular basis in my home. Every once in a while a get a free hand-me-down PC that I mess around with to remind me why I use a Mac and then scrap for parts after a week. Well, actualy the current one has been gathering dust for a month but I will get around to dispossing of it.

Other than that my house is PC free, and will be as long as Apple is around.

At work I have to use a Windblows comp (but I don't have to maintain it thankfully) and that is more than enough for me.

nw43
Jun 1, 2005, 01:44 PM
I've had my new iMac for about two weeks now and still have my old PC sitting in the corner of my room looking lonely (Ha!) but can't say I've found any real reason to boot it up much apart from to get files off it.

I still have to use Windows XP most of the day at work though.... Maybe it's time to get a new job (actually it is!)

rxse7en
Jun 1, 2005, 01:57 PM
I've been using macs since early 1990's and never touched a PC, don't want to

Maxiseller
Jun 1, 2005, 02:31 PM
I switched around a year and a half ago, and haven't really used PC's since.

At all.

It took me a little while in all honesty to get used to the software selection available for Mac, and where to find it, but Ive built up a collection that suits me perfectly and now there is nothing that I need a PC for. In fact, my mac runs a heck of a lot faster than my Windows box ever did!

JeffTL
Jun 1, 2005, 06:43 PM
I have a 2.5-year-old Dell (high-end) from before I switched; it runs 98, XP, and Fedora Core 3.

Mostly, my little sister uses it to play Toontown (Disney's MMORPG), which only works well on Windows 98, since I don't feel right disabling the Windows XP firewall.

I use it maybe for three hours a week, as opposed to far more than that on Macs.