PDA

View Full Version : Get Rid of cable

caughtintheweb
Dec 21, 2011, 08:58 AM
I recently got an apple tv and am loving it. Now I am thinking can I get rid of my cable completely ? The only reason I use cable is to mainly watch news channels (cnn, msnbc, bloomberg, etc) , and the standard tv channels (fox, cbs, abc, tbs etc). I dont need the on demand or hbo or any other special packages. I pay $50 a month for this.

bohbot16
Dec 21, 2011, 09:49 AM
Unplug your cable box and see how long you can go before you need to plug it back in.

mstrze
Dec 21, 2011, 10:02 AM
Depending on your proximity to the broadcast towers, all of the local networks are available by hooking up an antenna to your HDTV...PLUS they will come in at a higher-level of quality than through cable or sat, which adds an additional layer of compression to the signal. Nothing cleaner than OTA HDTV. PLUS, you will get at least one sub-channel for each of the OTA channels. Here in Houston, there are easily 50 discrete 'channels' I can get over the air, although probably one third of those are in foreign languages (Spanish and Vietnamese locally).

I am approximately 30 miles from the towers and I can get all of my locals with a set-top Terk brand antenna. Cost about $20 I think? Avoid amplified antennas though, for some reason they tend to screw-up the digital signal and may actually lead to a poorer ability to receive your locals.

hafr
Dec 21, 2011, 10:02 AM
I second that, but with a twist. If you have anything like a month or two months cancellation time, cancel it now and just abort the cancellation should you feel the need to keep cable. That way you don't have to waste more money than necessary on subscription fees.

caughtintheweb
Dec 21, 2011, 10:32 AM
Unplug your cable box and see how long you can go before you need to plug it back in.

I use cable right now only for cnn and msnbc. I rarely watch any movies or tv shows on cable. I would prefer renting them or using netflix if i need.

crzdcolombian
Dec 21, 2011, 10:33 AM
I don't know where you guys all live but in CT, NY and Boston. All places I live in you have to have cable tv to have internet. We are forced by Comcast to do this. It's like 70 bucks just for internet and $80 or $90 for TV and internet. Are you guys using dial up? O and we can't get Verizon fios because we live in the City and even then their price structure is pretty much the same as Comcast.

I keep reading of people doing this but no internet would make me insanely sad. How do you guys work around it and how much does it cost? I live with roommates so it doesn't hurt so much but I don't see how an average family not splitting a cable bill can afford over $100 bucks for it plus $100 bucks for a cell phone.

caughtintheweb
Dec 21, 2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely try the antenna option.

ReggaeFire
Dec 21, 2011, 10:37 AM
I don't know where you guys all live but in CT, NY and Boston. All places I live in you have to have cable tv to have internet. We are forced by Comcast to do this. It's like 70 bucks just for internet and $80 or $90 for TV and internet. Are you guys using dial up? O and we can't get Verizon fios because we live in the City and even then their price structure is pretty much the same as Comcast.

What on Earth are you talking about? You can get internet unbundled from TV from all the cable companies. I pay TWC about $40/month for internet and don't have any TV service attached. I did the same with Cablevision in a different part of Brooklyn.. You can also get DSL from your phone company in most areas. The speed isn't great most places, but it's an option.

mstrze
Dec 21, 2011, 10:40 AM
I don't know where you guys all live but in CT, NY and Boston. All places I live in you have to have cable tv to have internet.

I live in Houston and use the local cable company for my internet while NOT having TV service through them. I pay around $50 a month.

Sounds like even in your situation you don't NEED to pay the extra $20 for TV. You certainly have to pay something for internet. If you want to to forgo the cable option, look into some of the wireless providers out there. One will still need to pay a minimum of 30 to 50 bucks these days for a broadband connection, regardless of method of delivery.

caughtintheweb
Dec 21, 2011, 10:46 AM
Right now I pay $40 for fios high speed internet and $60 for cable. I can still forgo cable and get internet at same cost. I live in manhattan upper east btw.

Scarpad
Dec 21, 2011, 11:05 AM
I recently got an apple tv and am loving it. Now I am thinking can I get rid of my cable completely ? The only reason I use cable is to mainly watch news channels (cnn, msnbc, bloomberg, etc) , and the standard tv channels (fox, cbs, abc, tbs etc). I dont need the on demand or hbo or any other special packages. I pay $50 a month for this.

I gave up on Direct TV for about a week, and I went ahead and took advantage of one of those comcast deals and bought a tivo, I'm so weak.. oh well I love tv, I like watching stuff I like to watch, and I have some nice TV's to do it on, it's not like I'm rich enough to travel and see the world. I'm a working slob who likes to come home at the end of the day, put my feet up and enjoy a program or two. Plus I like Baseball so it was a hard thing to give up.

mstrze
Dec 21, 2011, 11:20 AM
It's like 70 bucks just for internet and $80 or $90 for TV and internet.

Unless you are paying for some extremely fast connection package, I think you are either getting ripped off or exaggerating. And in most cases, when someone gives a price and uses the word "like", it's most often nowhere near that price. ;)

crzdcolombian
Dec 21, 2011, 12:32 PM
Unless you are paying for some extremely fast connection package, I think you are either getting ripped off or exaggerating. And in most cases, when someone gives a price and uses the word "like", it's most often nowhere near that price. ;)

I get HBO, their 2nd tier internet speed and HD for $100 with 3 cable boxes.

ericrwalker
Dec 21, 2011, 12:39 PM
I went a while ago to turn off my cable and they offered the "antenna" channels for like $8 a month. For me that was like the first 20 channels. Better that than hook up some antenna on my roof.

crzdcolombian
Dec 21, 2011, 12:53 PM
I went a while ago to turn off my cable and they offered the "antenna" channels for like $8 a month. For me that was like the first 20 channels. Better that than hook up some antenna on my roof.

Do you still get the internet at a discount? For me there is no point in tv without HD but the only channel I want is HBO and they only let you get it if you have a cable service which is lame.

ericrwalker
Dec 21, 2011, 12:58 PM
Do you still get the internet at a discount? For me there is no point in tv without HD but the only channel I want is HBO and they only let you get it if you have a cable service which is lame.

The internet went up a little like from $40 to $45 or something like that, it was getting crazy. For cable (with DVR) + internet it was probably about $75 a month when I first started, and it started creeping up every year, until last year when I said, when the ***** did my time warner bill start being $135 a month.

I recently shut off everything and my wife did the all in one for $89 a month, it's going to suck when the 12 months are up. (we don't even have a phone hooked up to it, but it was cheaper than tv+internet)

caughtintheweb
Dec 21, 2011, 01:35 PM
There should be a cheap cable option for anyone who does not really need cable. Considering that netflix is $8 a month for unlimited movies and tv shows, the main advantage of cable for many people is news and sports. Paying $60 more for that seems to be pretty high.

PNutts
Dec 21, 2011, 08:44 PM
As others mentioned, the unbundled prices are higher. For me, Comcast's bundle of their lowest tier of Internet service costs about $50 and their lowest tier of TV costs about $14. I called to cancel the TV part and the unbundled price of Internet service cost <drumroll> $64. I pay the same with or without TV so I kept it.

scupking
Dec 22, 2011, 09:36 AM
I just bought a house and Im not getting cable. I bought a nice antenna and pick up 30 Digital channels. I have netflix for my movies and shows. I pay $60 a month for 18mbps internet and unlimited long distance phone with AT&T.

Irishman
Dec 22, 2011, 05:46 PM

I think a lot of people are in the same boat as you are - either looking to cut the cord, or have already done it.

The first thing I'd do is look to see if there are apps available for those channels that don't require that you have cable or satellite. CNN is out (I'm already using it, and the first thing it requires is that you enter in your cab/sat id info.)

The Bloomberg app exists (I'm using that too, but it's print and pictures only - no video content YET. I use it primarily for watching certain stocks and keeping up with their latest news).

There is also an MSNBC App, that is very full-featured, with articles, pics, and select videos (it also doesn't require you have cab/sat). The videos are also Airplay-able, which will make it something you can watch on the ATV, even if it makes you do an extra step to do it.

For network shows, I would use an over-the-air antenna. And, add a Tivo box (same price as the ATV2) for an easy way to do DVR functionality. That way you don't have to have your Mac doing that service all the time, tying up its resources when you may actually want to be playing a game or something else resource-intensive. Tivo charges about $20 a month for its channel guide (no contract needed), and you can't beat it for search flexibility. The new Premiere box (even though it has a slow interface) can do double-duty as a streaming box, with pretty much the same apps as most smart TVs and blu-ray players.

Shrink
Dec 22, 2011, 06:22 PM

I have Verizon Fios service for my home phone, cable, and internet.

Home phone has all the usual stuff - caller ID, voice mail, call waiting, and other features.

On TV, I have 57 premium move channels, 45 in HD. Approximately 3000 on demand titles, most in HD. And then there are about 1000 HD pay-per-view titles.

My internet is 35 up/ 35 down with ethernet connection, 18-20.5 up/ 17-20 down wireless.

I pay EXACTLY $175.74/month.

mstrze, I don't know if you think that is a lot for the service, or not. I just wanted to present information without the "like" - the price (good, bad, or indifferent) is exact.

I hope this didn't come out sounding snotty - I didn't intend it that way. Apologies if it did sound that way.:D

alukima
Dec 22, 2011, 06:31 PM
I've been without cable for exactly a year this month. I have hulu and netflix on an xbox connected to our tv.

I just bought an Apple TV for my parents just for them to have netflix. I may have missed something when I was setting it up but I didn't see a way to add hulu to it.

jca24
Dec 22, 2011, 06:44 PM
I've been without cable for exactly a year this month. I have hulu and netflix on an xbox connected to our tv.

I just bought an Apple TV for my parents just for them to have netflix. I may have missed something when I was setting it up but I didn't see a way to add hulu to it.

no hulu on :apple:tv

stickybuns
Dec 22, 2011, 06:54 PM
When my husband and I moved into our first apartment, I called up the local cable company to ask about getting just basic (no premium channels). "Oh, no! We can't possibly do that! You'll have to order the super duper delux package! Only $85 per month! I'll be happy to send someone over between 6am and 11pm tomorrow!"
I told them not to bother. That was ten years ago and I haven't missed having cable one bit.

Irishman
Dec 22, 2011, 07:14 PM

Is the question about Hulu or Hulu+?

j2048b
Dec 23, 2011, 12:08 AM
i also got rid of d tv, and got playon! man streaming my broncos for free=priceless!!!

soooo many channels, a bunch of live tv channel packs, and everything u can want,

check into it! well worth the mula!

and about the internet coupled with the tv signal, thats bull, tell them u only want internet, then when they hook it up if the signal is carried over the cable line for both, then just plug one in on the tv, and most will have internet and cable over 1 line, free cable tv!

caughtintheweb
Dec 23, 2011, 08:57 AM
For a complete newbie, can you please explain what i need to check out ? :)

i also got rid of d tv, and got playon! man streaming my broncos for free=priceless!!!

soooo many channels, a bunch of live tv channel packs, and everything u can want,

and about the internet coupled with the tv signal, thats bull, tell them u only want internet, then when they hook it up if the signal is carried over the cable line for both, then just plug one in on the tv, and most will have internet and cable over 1 line, free cable tv!

wxman2003
Dec 23, 2011, 10:17 AM

Doesn't work that way everywhere. Where I live, you can subscribe just to Internet if you want, but when you connect cable to tv and scan for cable channels, you get nothing. You need a box to decode the signal.

dynaflash
Dec 23, 2011, 10:29 AM

AppleTV JB to xbmc and get the Freecable add on, Hulu (works great), Food network, PBS. ... Thats what I am testing now and there is a *lot* of content. No its not real time but expect that addons for xbmc after the impending Eden release will really kick into high gear.

That said it depends on what you want and whats available. Discovery Channel is a tough one. Not the same as cable but most shows are only a day or two delayed and the quality is whatever said site provides. Most isn't too bad on a 50" panny. Just a thought.

whitegoodmen
Dec 23, 2011, 10:58 AM
Doesn't work that way everywhere. Where I live, you can subscribe just to Internet if you want, but when you connect cable to tv and scan for cable channels, you get nothing. You need a box to decode the signal.

You don't need a box to decode the signal. If you are just getting Internet though your cable they sometimes but a filter on the cable line. If you took the filter off the cable your TV will pick up basic, channels 2 through 70. The in-line filter is sometimes on the pole, outside box, or up in the attic.

I'm not saying anyone should remove the filter because I'm sure you will have to pay for basic and have the cable company remove the filter. but it is just for clarification.

j2048b
Dec 23, 2011, 11:55 AM
For a complete newbie, can you please explain what i need to check out ? :)

hope all is well in your quest to cut the cord, haha!

if you go to this site:

http://www.playon.tv/playon

you can demo the playon app, unfortunatly it runs in windows only, so u will have to either throw it on a seperate pc, or install windows on your mac, if you have not done so yet!

then there are a handfull of web sites pretty much dedicated to downloading "scripts" as they are called, but are actually the "channels" one can get on their playon server.

i will list some of the best channels i have thus far: (got too many to list!)

netflix, hulu, tbs, live sports pack (AWESOME!!!) icefilms, tvlinks,
ESPN, superusvox, (can google this one for live tv now!) tv channel pack,

tons of kids scripts you can add, and tons of live tv scripts!!

and there are a ton more:

this sight will give you a lot of scripts to download:
http://www.playonscripts.com/

http://www.playonplugins.com

http://playonplugins.info/forum/index.php

just to name a few !!

hope this helps!

avaloncourt
Dec 23, 2011, 12:45 PM

Don't be so quick to judge. That is indeed the case in some places. We have Armstrong cable here which serves western PA and part of Ohio. They don't do 'basic' cable packages. There is no such thing as a lifeline type of package others offer primarily because the terrain here does not lend well to antenna use so they know they have people in a corner with no choice. The lowest channel package they allow is 45 channels here which is $50 and $40 for Internet service. There's your $90.

I subscribe to Internet-only service at $40. They used to surcharge $10 on top of it if you didn't have television service but they dropped it. The $40 gets me 10Mbps down and 5Mbps up. They offer up to 100Mbps service but 10 is fine for me. We're fortunate about one thing in that Armstrong is all fiber optic cable. They replaced all the copper coax distribution a decade ago. We were all fiber optic before Fios was ever announced.

Deepsingh
Dec 23, 2011, 01:21 PM
The best options in boxee box with navi x. In order for playon to work you have to have it running on a another machine all the time. i tried it and hated it.

caughtintheweb
Dec 23, 2011, 01:39 PM
hope all is well in your quest to cut the cord, haha!

if you go to this site:

http://www.playon.tv/playon

you can demo the playon app, unfortunatly it runs in windows only, so u will have to either throw it on a seperate pc, or install windows on your mac, if you have not done so yet!

then there are a handfull of web sites pretty much dedicated to downloading "scripts" as they are called, but are actually the "channels" one can get on their playon server.

i will list some of the best channels i have thus far: (got too many to list!)

netflix, hulu, tbs, live sports pack (AWESOME!!!) icefilms, tvlinks,
ESPN, superusvox, (can google this one for live tv now!) tv channel pack,

tons of kids scripts you can add, and tons of live tv scripts!!

and there are a ton more:

this sight will give you a lot of scripts to download:
http://www.playonscripts.com/

http://www.playonplugins.com

http://playonplugins.info/forum/index.php

just to name a few !!

hope this helps!

That sounds awesome except for the fact that I have to run it on windows. I also wish it was integrated with apple tv even if i have to jailbreak it. I dont prefer using any other boxes as i have all my media on itunes. I have a wii though and i can see if it works on it.

Seminoles
Dec 23, 2011, 03:03 PM
Does anyone know of a list or index of websites that show full episodes of popular shows.

Don't know if Hulu Plus is going to work. All the shows seem to be seasons behind.

Something that is up to date, not showing full episodes of season 1 when the show is in season 3. Maybe a few weeks behind is okay but not seasons behind.

And no icefilms or navi-x. I am talking something legal.

Looking for shows from Bravo, Discovery, History, TBS, etc.

Just thought one website to go to with all the links would be pretty cool.

whitegoodmen
Dec 23, 2011, 06:28 PM
Does anyone know of a list or index of websites that show full episodes of popular shows.

Don't know if Hulu Plus is going to work. All the shows seem to be seasons behind.

Something that is up to date, not showing full episodes of season 1 when the show is in season 3. Maybe a few weeks behind is okay but not seasons behind.

And no icefilms or navi-x. I am talking something legal.

Looking for shows from Bravo, Discovery, History, TBS, etc.

Just thought one website to go to with all the links would be pretty cool.

As I was reading your question I just realized it is easier to get pirated content then paying for it. Iceflims, navi-X, torrents, and the 800 pound gorilla of pirated sites is way more organized, faster at finding and downloading this content. Their are no legal sites like icefilms (that I know of). The movie and TV industry need to do something like everything on itunes like service.

----------

The best options in boxee box with navi x. In order for playon to work you have to have it running on a another machine all the time. i tried it and hated it.

I cut the cord after I got a Boxee Box!

Spencie
Dec 23, 2011, 07:18 PM
Personally I use the Apple tv jailbroken running XBMC. XBMC gives me free live news using USTV Now, and icefilms. For live sports I use my xbox ESPN 3 since playon's ESPN 3's quality is pretty bad. I think its pretty easy to get rid of cable with an xbox and apple tv or roku (Anything that runs XBMC) I love having no cable right now!

davids8477
Dec 24, 2011, 07:41 AM
My solution is as follows:

Antenna for local stations (I get ~22 digital channels)

Apple TV2 for my media content.

Internet connected TV for Amazon Prime, VUDU, Hulu Plus and Skype.

Had to shop the TV to be sure that the correct Apps were supported.

For me an ideal solution and very wife friendly.

j2048b
Dec 24, 2011, 09:19 AM
That sounds awesome except for the fact that I have to run it on windows. I also wish it was integrated with apple tv even if i have to jailbreak it. I dont prefer using any other boxes as i have all my media on itunes. I have a wii though and i can see if it works on it.

yeah i run my mac pro along with an ibm intelli server 24/7/365, but will soon put windows on my mac pro to ileviate the windows box!

right now playon is on sale for like $50 for a lifetime subscription! down from the usual $80!!

http://www.playon.tv/po/buy/

if interested!

i watched a lot of tv last night for the first time in a few months due to moving into a new house! it was awesome to not have to tivo something, and then at the end of the month send that company $100 to use their crap!!