Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
i also got rid of d tv, and got playon! man streaming my broncos for free=priceless!!!

soooo many channels, a bunch of live tv channel packs, and everything u can want,

check into it! well worth the mula!

and about the internet coupled with the tv signal, thats bull, tell them u only want internet, then when they hook it up if the signal is carried over the cable line for both, then just plug one in on the tv, and most will have internet and cable over 1 line, free cable tv!

caughtintheweb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2011
For a complete newbie, can you please explain what i need to check out ? :)

i also got rid of d tv, and got playon! man streaming my broncos for free=priceless!!!

soooo many channels, a bunch of live tv channel packs, and everything u can want,

and about the internet coupled with the tv signal, thats bull, tell them u only want internet, then when they hook it up if the signal is carried over the cable line for both, then just plug one in on the tv, and most will have internet and cable over 1 line, free cable tv!

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011

Doesn't work that way everywhere. Where I live, you can subscribe just to Internet if you want, but when you connect cable to tv and scan for cable channels, you get nothing. You need a box to decode the signal.

dynaflash

macrumors 68020
Mar 27, 2003
no hulu on :apple:tv

AppleTV JB to xbmc and get the Freecable add on, Hulu (works great), Food network, PBS. ... Thats what I am testing now and there is a *lot* of content. No its not real time but expect that addons for xbmc after the impending Eden release will really kick into high gear.

That said it depends on what you want and whats available. Discovery Channel is a tough one. Not the same as cable but most shows are only a day or two delayed and the quality is whatever said site provides. Most isn't too bad on a 50" panny. Just a thought.

whitegoodmen

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
Doesn't work that way everywhere. Where I live, you can subscribe just to Internet if you want, but when you connect cable to tv and scan for cable channels, you get nothing. You need a box to decode the signal.

You don't need a box to decode the signal. If you are just getting Internet though your cable they sometimes but a filter on the cable line. If you took the filter off the cable your TV will pick up basic, channels 2 through 70. The in-line filter is sometimes on the pole, outside box, or up in the attic.

I'm not saying anyone should remove the filter because I'm sure you will have to pay for basic and have the cable company remove the filter. but it is just for clarification.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
For a complete newbie, can you please explain what i need to check out ? :)

hope all is well in your quest to cut the cord, haha!

if you go to this site:

http://www.playon.tv/playon

you can demo the playon app, unfortunatly it runs in windows only, so u will have to either throw it on a seperate pc, or install windows on your mac, if you have not done so yet!

then there are a handfull of web sites pretty much dedicated to downloading "scripts" as they are called, but are actually the "channels" one can get on their playon server.

i will list some of the best channels i have thus far: (got too many to list!)

netflix, hulu, tbs, live sports pack (AWESOME!!!) icefilms, tvlinks,
ESPN, superusvox, (can google this one for live tv now!) tv channel pack,

tons of kids scripts you can add, and tons of live tv scripts!!

and there are a ton more:

this sight will give you a lot of scripts to download:
http://www.playonscripts.com/

http://www.playonplugins.com

http://playonplugins.info/forum/index.php

just to name a few !!

hope this helps!

avaloncourt

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2007
Unless you are paying for some extremely fast connection package, I think you are either getting ripped off or exaggerating. And in most cases, when someone gives a price and uses the word "like", it's most often nowhere near that price. ;)

Don't be so quick to judge. That is indeed the case in some places. We have Armstrong cable here which serves western PA and part of Ohio. They don't do 'basic' cable packages. There is no such thing as a lifeline type of package others offer primarily because the terrain here does not lend well to antenna use so they know they have people in a corner with no choice. The lowest channel package they allow is 45 channels here which is $50 and $40 for Internet service. There's your $90.

I subscribe to Internet-only service at $40. They used to surcharge $10 on top of it if you didn't have television service but they dropped it. The $40 gets me 10Mbps down and 5Mbps up. They offer up to 100Mbps service but 10 is fine for me. We're fortunate about one thing in that Armstrong is all fiber optic cable. They replaced all the copper coax distribution a decade ago. We were all fiber optic before Fios was ever announced.

Deepsingh

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
The best options in boxee box with navi x. In order for playon to work you have to have it running on a another machine all the time. i tried it and hated it.

caughtintheweb

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2011
hope all is well in your quest to cut the cord, haha!

if you go to this site:

http://www.playon.tv/playon

you can demo the playon app, unfortunatly it runs in windows only, so u will have to either throw it on a seperate pc, or install windows on your mac, if you have not done so yet!

then there are a handfull of web sites pretty much dedicated to downloading "scripts" as they are called, but are actually the "channels" one can get on their playon server.

i will list some of the best channels i have thus far: (got too many to list!)

netflix, hulu, tbs, live sports pack (AWESOME!!!) icefilms, tvlinks,
ESPN, superusvox, (can google this one for live tv now!) tv channel pack,

tons of kids scripts you can add, and tons of live tv scripts!!

and there are a ton more:

this sight will give you a lot of scripts to download:
http://www.playonscripts.com/

http://www.playonplugins.com

http://playonplugins.info/forum/index.php

just to name a few !!

hope this helps!

That sounds awesome except for the fact that I have to run it on windows. I also wish it was integrated with apple tv even if i have to jailbreak it. I dont prefer using any other boxes as i have all my media on itunes. I have a wii though and i can see if it works on it.

Seminoles

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2011
Does anyone know of a list or index of websites that show full episodes of popular shows.

Don't know if Hulu Plus is going to work. All the shows seem to be seasons behind.

Something that is up to date, not showing full episodes of season 1 when the show is in season 3. Maybe a few weeks behind is okay but not seasons behind.

And no icefilms or navi-x. I am talking something legal.

Looking for shows from Bravo, Discovery, History, TBS, etc.

Just thought one website to go to with all the links would be pretty cool.

whitegoodmen

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2010
Does anyone know of a list or index of websites that show full episodes of popular shows.

Don't know if Hulu Plus is going to work. All the shows seem to be seasons behind.

Something that is up to date, not showing full episodes of season 1 when the show is in season 3. Maybe a few weeks behind is okay but not seasons behind.

And no icefilms or navi-x. I am talking something legal.

Looking for shows from Bravo, Discovery, History, TBS, etc.

Just thought one website to go to with all the links would be pretty cool.

As I was reading your question I just realized it is easier to get pirated content then paying for it. Iceflims, navi-X, torrents, and the 800 pound gorilla of pirated sites is way more organized, faster at finding and downloading this content. Their are no legal sites like icefilms (that I know of). The movie and TV industry need to do something like everything on itunes like service.

----------

The best options in boxee box with navi x. In order for playon to work you have to have it running on a another machine all the time. i tried it and hated it.

I cut the cord after I got a Boxee Box!

Spencie

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
The Mothership
Personally I use the Apple tv jailbroken running XBMC. XBMC gives me free live news using USTV Now, and icefilms. For live sports I use my xbox ESPN 3 since playon's ESPN 3's quality is pretty bad. I think its pretty easy to get rid of cable with an xbox and apple tv or roku (Anything that runs XBMC) I love having no cable right now!

davids8477

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Cut cable - Actually Direct TV

My solution is as follows:

Antenna for local stations (I get ~22 digital channels)

Apple TV2 for my media content.

Internet connected TV for Amazon Prime, VUDU, Hulu Plus and Skype.

Had to shop the TV to be sure that the correct Apps were supported.

For me an ideal solution and very wife friendly.

j2048b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
That sounds awesome except for the fact that I have to run it on windows. I also wish it was integrated with apple tv even if i have to jailbreak it. I dont prefer using any other boxes as i have all my media on itunes. I have a wii though and i can see if it works on it.

yeah i run my mac pro along with an ibm intelli server 24/7/365, but will soon put windows on my mac pro to ileviate the windows box!

right now playon is on sale for like $50 for a lifetime subscription! down from the usual $80!!

http://www.playon.tv/po/buy/

if interested!

i watched a lot of tv last night for the first time in a few months due to moving into a new house! it was awesome to not have to tivo something, and then at the end of the month send that company $100 to use their crap!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.