Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I bought a 12" powerbook and was planning on buying an iMac as well, however, this 12" is more computer then I will ever need. I would like an external hard drive when I am home though.

What would happen if I plugged this bad boy into a 20 inch widescreen dell monitor? Would it stretch everything and look stupid? Is there any way around that? Is it the same with a mac mini?

Brigrat

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2004
sammyman said:
I bought a 12" powerbook and was planning on buying an iMac as well, however, this 12" is more computer then I will ever need. I would like an external hard drive when I am home though.

What would happen if I plugged this bad boy into a 20 inch widescreen dell monitor? Would it stretch everything and look stupid? Is there any way around that? Is it the same with a mac mini?

That is what I do, and I am very happy with the PB, and the Dell 2005FPW. You will be pleased.

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
Question though...

my parents' Dell flatscreen monitor has the serial connection type...how would I utilize this screen with my powerbook? the powerbook comes with a DVI-mini dvi connector, right? what else do i need?

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
Mine came with plugs I can plug into the pb to adapt it to external monitors. Still don't get the 4:3 going to 16:9....

Jschultz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2005
Chicago, IL
nevermind! I just found the connecter to for the display. 19" dell monitor doesnt look to shabby with OSX! Is there anyway to close the powerbook lid and keep it awake?

ChrisFromCanada

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2004
Hamilton, Ontario (CANADA)
sammyman:
Spanning it not problem because each monitor is displaying something completely different so each screen runs a separate resolution.

If you mirror you will need to run the external monitor in stretched mode or have your powerbook in clamshell mode (closed lid mode).

Hope that clears it up a bit for you!

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Jschultz said:
nevermind! I just found the connecter to for the display. 19" dell monitor doesnt look to shabby with OSX! Is there anyway to close the powerbook lid and keep it awake?
Use clamshell mode. Shut the PB and let it sleep, then plug in an external keyboard or mouse while keeping the PB shut. Should do the trick.
sammyman said:
Mine came with plugs I can plug into the pb to adapt it to external monitors. Still don't get the 4:3 going to 16:9....
Mac OS X sutomatically adapts. PB's usually don't mirror, but do screen spanning instead, though you can have it either way. Mirroring is when the funny stuff will happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.