PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake & VLC

neilnics
Dec 29, 2011, 03:06 AM
I am trying to unsuccessfully rip dvds to my mac to put on my apple tv or iPad etc, but when I look at the dvd they are all corrupt with lines through them. I can't also load the VLC which everytime I load a dvd handbrake says cannot find. Do yo need the VLC working ? Can anybody help as you can se I am a pretty basic user so please put it in plain english so that I can understand your response.

bp1000
Dec 29, 2011, 05:53 AM
Make sure handbrake and VLC are the same architecture, so either 32bit or 64bit

Simply put the disc in, open handbrake, select source, choose the DVD and select Apple tv 2 from the preset on the right and click start.

If it still doesn't work then i can only assume there is a problem with your DVD disc or drive.

Make sure you have the latest copy of each software.

simsaladimbamba
Dec 29, 2011, 06:00 AM
How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format in Mac OS X. (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=825323&highlight=)

How-To: Automating DVD & Blu-Ray (Backup, Encoding & Tagging) for Mac OS X 10.6 (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=805573)

neilnics
Dec 29, 2011, 01:36 PM
on my handbrake it has a 64 by it and i have downloaded the 64 vlc but it still doesn't seem to find the program so i still get the same problems. ANy further advice?

simsaladimbamba
Dec 29, 2011, 08:11 PM
on my handbrake it has a 64 by it and i have downloaded the 64 vlc but it still doesn't seem to find the program so i still get the same problems. ANy further advice?

Look at the first link in the post above yours to maybe use an actual ripper, and then HandBrake for transcoding.

700-Grizz
Dec 30, 2011, 02:22 AM
Im new to the mac world lol--im use to a PC and i used handbrake with AnyDVD to decrypt and rip my DVD's into format to use with my IPad.

Now what exactly do I need to use and How with Handbrake? I see you mentioned Fairmount and I read that but not exactly sure how to go about using that with handbrake? help me out please:D

simsaladimbamba
Dec 30, 2011, 06:42 AM
Im new to the mac world lol--im use to a PC and i used handbrake with AnyDVD to decrypt and rip my DVD's into format to use with my IPad.

Now what exactly do I need to use and How with Handbrake? I see you mentioned Fairmount and I read that but not exactly sure how to go about using that with handbrake? help me out please:D

Can this help?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10644330/MR_Image_Hotlinks/MR_screenshots/MR_screenshots_10_2011/HandBrake_iPad-preset.png

viewfly
Dec 30, 2011, 08:56 AM
This program works well for all DVD', copyright protected or not. Nothing else is necessary. will play on Apple TV, iPhone or iPad.

DVD Ripper for Mac.

http://www.applemacvideo.com/articles/how-to-put-dvd-into-apple-imovie.html

rayward
Dec 30, 2011, 09:31 AM

As mentioned above, make sure that you have matching versions of HandBrake and VLC. Presuming your Mac is new, you'll want the 64-bit versions of both. Then, you can rip and encode DVDs in HandBrake in a single step (HandBrake automatically finds and uses VLC), selecting the iPad preset in HandBrake.

Some people prefer to rip and encode separately; either for batch processing or to ease the mechanical wear and tear on their optical drive. MakeMKV is a free download and will rip a DVD (or Blu Ray, if you have a Blu Ray burner drive) to a .mkv file for subsequent processing in HandBrake.

700-Grizz
Dec 30, 2011, 02:06 PM
Thanks guys that helps--already have the newest version of VLC

***Do I still need to download Fairmount?? or does VLC take care of that issue of copywrite?

simsaladimbamba
Dec 30, 2011, 10:43 PM
Thanks guys that helps--already have the newest version of VLC

***Do I still need to download Fairmount?? or does VLC take care of that issue of copywrite?

VLC takes care, as FairMount needs VLC to decode the decryption too.
Maybe have a look at the first link in the second post? It explains some details which might be good to know, but I guess I like being the spoon.

RByers89
Dec 30, 2011, 11:01 PM
I convert all of mine for apple tv/ all I devices.
Use makemkv to rip it into mkv. Then use handbrake. On my i5 mini the total process is less then a hour and the quality is much better then most actual dvd rippers. I usually used to use winmx for rip DVDs but found mkv then handbrake results in superior quality.

seannixon
Dec 31, 2011, 10:55 AM
I had this problem ripping my first DVD today. Make sure VLC is in the application folder, then it should work