PDA

View Full Version : Problem With Quote Notifications Count Badge - Just Me?

Shrink
Dec 30, 2011, 02:52 PM
At the top of the page, Personal Messages indicates the number of messages in Quote Notifications (among other Personal Messages). When mine shoes 1, and I click on it and it shows 1 in Quote Notification in the drop down, I often have more than one Quote Notification. When I go to CP and click on Quote Notification and read down list of Quote Notifications, often I find that I have several Quote Notifications, not just one.

It is not an issue of time, because I have had Quote Notifications that are 5 or more hours old and did not show up in the badge count.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one finding the page badge only showing one Personal Message, when there are more than one Quote Notifications.

I just re-read this and realized that I used the phrase "Quote Notifications" about a million times. Sorry, I know it's bad writing, but I couldn't think of another way to phrase it.

Hellhammer
Dec 30, 2011, 02:53 PM
It's the same for me. One quote notification pretty much all the time.

arn
Dec 30, 2011, 03:16 PM
At the top of the page, Personal Messages indicates the number of messages in Quote Notifications (among other Personal Messages). When mine shoes 1, and I click on it and it shows 1 in Quote Notification in the drop down, I often have more than one Quote Notification. When I go to CP and click on Quote Notification and read down list of Quote Notifications, often I find that I have several Quote Notifications, not just one.

It is not an issue of time, because I have had Quote Notifications that are 5 or more hours old and did not show up in the badge count.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one finding the page badge only showing one Personal Message, when there are more than one Quote Notifications.

I just re-read this and realized that I used the phrase "Quote Notifications" about a million times. Sorry, I know it's bad writing, but I couldn't think of another way to phrase it.

So, it's 1 or 0 for you? Never greater than 1 even though you have more than 1?

arn

SandboxGeneral
Dec 30, 2011, 03:21 PM
I've had it show more than 1 at a time, I think 2; I don't get quoted very often.

But along the lines of quote notifications, I would like to see an improvement in the time the system takes to show when you've been quoted. I've seen it anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

The shortest amount of time possible to make it happen would be desirable, but consistency is even more desirable. If it's going to be 5 minutes until notification or 2 hours, it should always be that way.

arn
Dec 30, 2011, 03:23 PM
I've had it show more than 1 at a time, I think 2; I don't get quoted very often.

But along the lines of quote notifications, I would like to see an improvement in the time the system takes to show when you've been quoted. I've seen it anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

The shortest amount of time possible to make it happen would be desirable, but consistency is even more desirable. If it's going to be 5 minutes until notification or 2 hours, it should always be that way.

the script that counts 'em is supposed to run every 10 minutes.

arn

ergdegdeg
Dec 30, 2011, 03:25 PM
I was confused at first too, but I think the actual list shows any quote notifications, not just the ones that go into the badge count (i.e. the one's you haven't looked at yet). Is this what you guys mean?

SandboxGeneral
Dec 30, 2011, 03:31 PM
the script that counts 'em is supposed to run every 10 minutes.

arn

Alrighty.:)

Your quote of mine, took about 7 minutes according to my clock. I'll pay closer attention to the times on future ones and see if there is any further differences.

Shrink
Dec 30, 2011, 03:40 PM
So, it's 1 or 0 for you? Never greater than 1 even though you have more than 1?

arn

Yes - 1 or 0.

The first few days of the system, I did get an accurate 2. But since the first day or so of implementation, only 1 or 0.

Thanks for your interest, arn:)

arn
Dec 30, 2011, 03:52 PM
Yes - 1 or 0.

The first few days of the system, I did get an accurate 2. But since the first day or so of implementation, only 1 or 0.

Thanks for your interest, arn:)

I'll look into it.

arn

MacNut
Dec 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
I have never had over 1.

Tilpots
Dec 31, 2011, 08:32 PM
In the original QN thread I was quoted 47 times by one poster. My badge showed 47. Needless to say, that poster is dead to me. :|

swingerofbirch
Dec 31, 2011, 08:46 PM
I had only just noticed the quote counter within the last week. I've only seen but one notification at a time, but I really couldn't say if there were more unnoticed quotations as I suppose that would require me revisiting all the threads I've posted and checking to see I've been quoted. I do find the quote counter a nice feature. I can hardly think of a higher compliment than to be quoted.

GGJstudios
Dec 31, 2011, 09:44 PM
I finally decided to turn my QN off. There was such a lag between the quotes and the time the count would update, it wasn't useful to me. Also, the count would only reset after clicking on the notification a couple times, even if I had already read those threads. It just didn't add enough value to me to keep it on. YMMV

Shrink
Jan 1, 2012, 02:54 PM
I must now add that not only are Quote Notifications badge not showing up on Private Message thnigy at the top of the page, but many quotes are not even showing up on the Quote Notification page.

When I go to my Profile page, and go through my posts, I frequently find that if I go to my post I will find that I have been quoted on that thread - but the quote has never been recorded on the Quote Notification page.

So, not only is the number badge not showing quotes, but the quotes are not even showing up on the Quote Notification page accessed through CP.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass...but the system does not seem to be working for me.

SandboxGeneral
Jan 2, 2012, 02:59 PM
Here's an update:

Quote Notifications list is showing 3 new quotes all within a short time span. The 'Your Notifications' are displaying only 2. yet, when I clicked over to the thread "Post your Funny WiFi Router Names," I was only quoted once and not twice as listed. So the "Your Notifications" count is correct, but the list is incorrect.

Unless, it's because the person who quoted me, had edited their post after the initial post, which caused it to log a second time. But the edit was 11 minutes after the initial post.

http://www.sbgdata.com/data/Screen Shot 2012-01-02 at 3.53.34 PM.png

EDIT: Wait, I just noticed he posted two consecutive posts which were merged.

Shrink
Jan 3, 2012, 08:04 PM
Once again - quotes are not only not showing up as a number badge in the Private Message space at the top of the page, but the quotes are not appearing in the Quote Notification list accessed through CP.

Doesn't seem to be working for me consistently at all.:(

hexonxonx
Jan 7, 2012, 09:02 AM
Is there a way to turn off quote notifications?

Edit: Just turned them off in options.

SandboxGeneral
Jan 9, 2012, 07:39 AM
If you're still looking for issues regarding the Quote Notifications count, I had three waiting for me this morning and it only was showing one.

Shrink
Jan 9, 2012, 10:05 AM
If you're still looking for issues regarding the Quote Notifications count, I had three waiting for me this morning and it only was showing one.

Well, at least I'm not alone.

Misery (OK, mild discomfort) loves company.:D

SandboxGeneral
Jan 10, 2012, 06:29 AM
Another 3 notifications waiting for me this morning and displayed only 1. I understand the admins are already looking into this, and I really don't like beating a dead horse, but the reason for another post is to promote a new idea concerning it below.

I think a good feature to have regarding this, is when there aren't any active or unread Quote Notifications, that the link still appear under the Private Messages title so that you can get to the list of already read Quote Notifications, rather than have to go to User CP to get to them.

Perhaps even rename the persistent Private Messages to Your Notifications, which would encompass both Private Messages and Quote Notifications.

Shrink
Jan 13, 2012, 04:23 PM
I just noticed that for the first time the Quote Notification badge shows a 2.

Whatever you guys did...thanks.:D

Shrink
Jan 18, 2012, 09:45 AM
Sorry all, I'm back.

Today I had 5 Quotes in the Quote Notification list, and the badge showed 1.

Not a major tragedy, just to let Mods, et al, know.

macquariumguy
Jan 26, 2012, 11:43 AM
I wish we could turn the quote notifications completely off. IMO they are worse than useless because they mimic actual important notifications.

GGJstudios
Jan 26, 2012, 11:49 AM
I wish we could turn the quote notifications completely off. IMO they are worse than useless because they mimic actual important notifications.
You can turn them off, by going here (http://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=editoptions#quotenotifications):

macquariumguy
Jan 26, 2012, 02:30 PM
^^ Awesome! Thanks.

SandboxGeneral
Feb 1, 2012, 06:30 AM
I purposely did not view any quote notifications from Sunday until today just to see how it went. All along it showed only 1 while there were actually 16 new ones since I stopped looking.

This should be my final post regarding the subject, and wanted to show how it's working/not working. :)

Schtumple
Feb 18, 2012, 05:47 PM
Noticed a small bug that occasionally pops up, when someone quotes my posts, sometimes I'll get 2, 3 or 4 notifications for the same post.

I understand when someone splits up a quote of your post that may trigger it, but I got 4 notifications for one post where the person had only split my post into 2 quotes, and often get 2 notifications for just being quoted.

Just thought I'd let you guys know, it doesn't bother me, but just thought it's a bug you guys might not be aware of :)

BreakGuy
Feb 21, 2012, 01:56 AM
I have a problem where I only receive a notification saying '1' even when there is more than one quote.

Macman45
Feb 21, 2012, 02:08 AM
I had this for a while, in the end I just turned off the email notifications and check my threads and post's via my profile.

I also had about 10 yesterday from the Apple support Site, when someone resurrected a very old thread that I had still subscribed to. Turned them off too!

SandboxGeneral
Feb 21, 2012, 05:47 AM
This topic is already being covered below:

Problem With Quote Notifications Count Badge - Just Me? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1300422)

Shrink
Feb 21, 2012, 09:53 AM
This topic is already being covered below:

Problem With Quote Notifications Count Badge - Just Me? (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1300422)

Umm... that's the thread you are posting on. You just gave a link to THIS thread!:D:eek:

SandboxGeneral
Feb 21, 2012, 09:54 AM
Umm... that's the thread you are posting on. You just gave a link to THIS thread!:D:eek:

It was a separate thread and a mod merged them.

-aggie-
Feb 21, 2012, 09:56 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^
EDIT: Like he said. :)

I'm sure that's due to merging the threads. Otherwise, he's had too much to drink this morning.

Shrink
Feb 21, 2012, 10:04 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^
EDIT: Like he said. :)

I'm sure that's due to merging the threads. Otherwise, he's had too much to drink this morning.

Since I can't possibly, ever, at any time, under any circumstances, be wrong - it must be the second choice!:D

Sorry :o

arn
Feb 23, 2012, 09:33 PM

The quote notification count should be fixed. There was a bug that was causing it to not increment as much as it should.

arn

Shrink
Feb 24, 2012, 05:56 AM
The quote notification count should be fixed. There was a bug that was causing it to not increment as much as it should.

arn

As of this morning, it seems to be working fine.

Thanks, arn, for your efforts on this. It is appreciated...:D