Problem With Quote Notifications Count Badge - Just Me?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Shrink, Dec 30, 2011.

1. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

At the top of the page, Personal Messages indicates the number of messages in Quote Notifications (among other Personal Messages). When mine shoes 1, and I click on it and it shows 1 in Quote Notification in the drop down, I often have more than one Quote Notification. When I go to CP and click on Quote Notification and read down list of Quote Notifications, often I find that I have several Quote Notifications, not just one.

It is not an issue of time, because I have had Quote Notifications that are 5 or more hours old and did not show up in the badge count.

I'm wondering if I'm the only one finding the page badge only showing one Personal Message, when there are more than one Quote Notifications.

I just re-read this and realized that I used the phrase "Quote Notifications" about a million times. Sorry, I know it's bad writing, but I couldn't think of another way to phrase it.

2. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

It's the same for me. One quote notification pretty much all the time.

3. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

So, it's 1 or 0 for you? Never greater than 1 even though you have more than 1?

arn

4. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I've had it show more than 1 at a time, I think 2; I don't get quoted very often.

But along the lines of quote notifications, I would like to see an improvement in the time the system takes to show when you've been quoted. I've seen it anywhere from a few minutes to several hours.

The shortest amount of time possible to make it happen would be desirable, but consistency is even more desirable. If it's going to be 5 minutes until notification or 2 hours, it should always be that way.

5. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

the script that counts 'em is supposed to run every 10 minutes.

arn

6. Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

I was confused at first too, but I think the actual list shows any quote notifications, not just the ones that go into the badge count (i.e. the one's you haven't looked at yet). Is this what you guys mean?

7. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Alrighty.:)

Your quote of mine, took about 7 minutes according to my clock. I'll pay closer attention to the times on future ones and see if there is any further differences.

8. thread starter macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Yes - 1 or 0.

The first few days of the system, I did get an accurate 2. But since the first day or so of implementation, only 1 or 0.

Thanks for your interest, arn:)

9. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I'll look into it.

arn

10. macrumors Core

MacNut

11. macrumors 601

Tilpots

In the original QN thread I was quoted 47 times by one poster. My badge showed 47. Needless to say, that poster is dead to me. :|

12. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I had only just noticed the quote counter within the last week. I've only seen but one notification at a time, but I really couldn't say if there were more unnoticed quotations as I suppose that would require me revisiting all the threads I've posted and checking to see I've been quoted. I do find the quote counter a nice feature. I can hardly think of a higher compliment than to be quoted.

13. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I finally decided to turn my QN off. There was such a lag between the quotes and the time the count would update, it wasn't useful to me. Also, the count would only reset after clicking on the notification a couple times, even if I had already read those threads. It just didn't add enough value to me to keep it on. YMMV

14. thread starter macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I must now add that not only are Quote Notifications badge not showing up on Private Message thnigy at the top of the page, but many quotes are not even showing up on the Quote Notification page.

When I go to my Profile page, and go through my posts, I frequently find that if I go to my post I will find that I have been quoted on that thread - but the quote has never been recorded on the Quote Notification page.

So, not only is the number badge not showing quotes, but the quotes are not even showing up on the Quote Notification page accessed through CP.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass...but the system does not seem to be working for me.

15. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Here's an update:

Quote Notifications list is showing 3 new quotes all within a short time span. The 'Your Notifications' are displaying only 2. yet, when I clicked over to the thread "Post your Funny WiFi Router Names," I was only quoted once and not twice as listed. So the "Your Notifications" count is correct, but the list is incorrect.

Unless, it's because the person who quoted me, had edited their post after the initial post, which caused it to log a second time. But the edit was 11 minutes after the initial post.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Wait, I just noticed he posted two consecutive posts which were merged.

16. thread starter macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Once again - quotes are not only not showing up as a number badge in the Private Message space at the top of the page, but the quotes are not appearing in the Quote Notification list accessed through CP.

Doesn't seem to be working for me consistently at all.:(

17. macrumors 601

Is there a way to turn off quote notifications?

Edit: Just turned them off in options.

18. Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you're still looking for issues regarding the Quote Notifications count, I had three waiting for me this morning and it only was showing one.

Attached Files:

19. thread starter macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Well, at least I'm not alone.

Misery (OK, mild discomfort) loves company.:D

20. SandboxGeneral, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Another 3 notifications waiting for me this morning and displayed only 1. I understand the admins are already looking into this, and I really don't like beating a dead horse, but the reason for another post is to promote a new idea concerning it below.

I think a good feature to have regarding this, is when there aren't any active or unread Quote Notifications, that the link still appear under the Private Messages title so that you can get to the list of already read Quote Notifications, rather than have to go to User CP to get to them.

Perhaps even rename the persistent Private Messages to Your Notifications, which would encompass both Private Messages and Quote Notifications.

Attached Files:

21. thread starter macrumors demi-god

Shrink

I just noticed that for the first time the Quote Notification badge shows a 2.

Whatever you guys did...thanks.:D

22. thread starter macrumors demi-god

Shrink

Sorry all, I'm back.

Today I had 5 Quotes in the Quote Notification list, and the badge showed 1.

Not a major tragedy, just to let Mods, et al, know.

23. macrumors 6502a

I wish we could turn the quote notifications completely off. IMO they are worse than useless because they mimic actual important notifications.

24. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can turn them off, by going here:
    ScreenCap 1.PNG

25. macrumors 6502a