Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Sep 17, 2011
Well, I will start off with right-click cut & paste contextual menu. I know you can option + right click to "move item". But having the need to press the "option" key is an annoyance and feel cumbersome. You will be surprised by the number of mac users not knowing they can cut and paste on a mac.

What's yours?

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Support for direct x :p Not gonna happen anytime in the future tho. But what i REALLY want apple to put in Lion is a mouse acceleration pane. Adjust how much acceleration you want. Tried just about everything. Only thing that helps somewhat is putting the tracking speed to 0 in system prefs.

tyrell456

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
Aero Snap. That is one of my favorite features of Windows 7 - being able to easily snap two windows side by side without a second thought helps with so many things. The uses can vary from moving files between folders in Windows Explorer, to being able to read a PDF file while typing up a research paper, etc.

However, this is easily rectified by using BetterSnapTool (for free!). And I highly doubt it will ever be built directly into OS X as it's likely a major patent infringement.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
The "move" thing is a bummer on the Mac.

I like Windows 7 dock-ish icons on the bottom of the desktop and how if you mouse-over they show panes with the open windows of the relevant application. You can get the same on a Mac if you install DockView.

And in the same vein, Windows preview of documents in windows is far better than QuickLook.

Rob

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The task bar in windows is really nice and of course the ubiquitous cut/pasting of files.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
image20.png

and Finder Cut and Paste.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
Aero Snap. That is one of my favorite features of Windows 7 - being able to easily snap two windows side by side without a second thought helps with so many things. The uses can vary from moving files between folders in Windows Explorer, to being able to read a PDF file while typing up a research paper, etc.

However, this is easily rectified by using BetterSnapTool (for free!). And I highly doubt it will ever be built directly into OS X as it's likely a major patent infringement.

KDE 3.x had snapping windows at least 8 years ago, though maybe the Windows thing is a bit more advanced. I was actually surprised that they don't have it in OSX.

Unfortunately I'm not aware of what new features W7 has. From the older stuff, I miss the straightforward cut & paste.

Joos24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2011

Highlight the doc/file to be Cut N Pasted. Command V...or.... Right click (or two finger tap) to contextual menu. Choose COPY. Then go to the area in Finder you want to paste to. Right Click again and you can either choose to PASTE or if you hold down OPTION choose "Move Item Here".
This way is done better than in Windows. It's BS when people say it's cumbersome because they don't understand the benefit of it.
In Lion you can choose to Copy N Paste or Cut N Paste all in one sequence. This is great if you (like myself) like to paste the same document in several different files and connected external hard drives for backup. Then at the end I can still choose to move the document entirely from where it started.

In Windows you can only either Copy N Paste or Cut N Paste and it requires separate sequences. Lion holds the file for either copying or cutting in one sequence.
I don't mean to come across as being mean but how do people upgrade to an new OS and not check the list of new features? Apple explicitly mentions this as a new feature of Lion.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Highlight the doc/file to be Cut N Pasted. Command V...or.... Right click (or two finger tap) to contextual menu. Choose COPY. Then go to the area in Finder you want to paste to. Right Click again and you can either choose to PASTE or if you hold down OPTION choose "Move Item Here".
This way is done better than in Windows. It's BS when people say it's cumbersome because they don't understand the benefit of it.
In Lion you can choose to Copy N Paste or Cut N Paste all in one sequence. This is great if you (like myself) like to paste the same document in several different files and connected external hard drives for backup. Then at the end I can still choose to move the document entirely from where it started.

In Windows you can only either Copy N Paste or Cut N Paste and it requires separate sequences. Lion holds the file for either copying or cutting in one sequence.
I don't mean to come across as being mean but how do people upgrade to an new OS and not check the list of new features? Apple explicitly mentions this as a new feature of Lion.

I am sorry, but I disagree with you. It is a stupid way of cutting and pasting files, but thanks for making me aware of it anyway. I don't understand why option has to be pressed, it seems bizarre.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I concur with the window snapping. That's a great feature. I also wish OSX would copy the way Windows handles audio devices and sound mixing. I now have three discrete audio outputs with my Macbook when "docked" to my Thunderbolt Display. First the internal speaker, then the headphones jack, and third, the monitor speakers.

The way OSX now works means connecting a set of headphones switches audio from the internal speaker to the headphones, but with the monitor connected it has become the primary audio output, and that isn't switched. All open programs will still output sound to the monitor. OSX also likes to fiddle needlessly with the volume settings, meaning if I lower volume with headphones connected, it also lowers volume on the internal speaker, meaning it becomes too low when the 'phones are disconnected again.

And, with the monitor connected, Fn+F11/F12 on the keyboard adjusts monitor speaker volume...not headphones. That's OK if you have an Apple-compatible headset with a remote on the cord, but inconvenient otherwise.

This system (which isn't a system at all really) is really really fiddly and wonky. Preferably, ALL audio should either switch to headphones when they're connected, or ALL outputs should be entirely separate, with their own volume adjustments, and a proper sound mixer available like in Windows. This bizarre mix between both is plain bad.

Also, Windows supports 3D audio simulation for stereo speakers, with room effects layered on top, as well as realtime multichannel dolby digital (AC3) encode on SPDIF output. I have a sound system that could make use of 5.1 audio through my MBP's optical output, but OSX doesn't support it even though it has an AC3 license included out of the box; because of the DVD player app...

Also, who's the muppet knee-jerkingly downvoting virtually every post in this thread? Jackass...! :p OSX isn't perfect, and it doesn't do everything better than Windows. Anyone who states otherwise is a fool, or a troll, and I'm not sure which is worse.

Typswif2fingers

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Dubai, UAE
I am sorry, but I disagree with you. It is a stupid way of cutting and pasting files, but thanks for making me aware of it anyway. I don't understand why option has to be pressed, it seems bizarre.

Mate just an FYI, both Pathfinder and Total Finder have full copy/cut paste options.

These are not free, but both are (IMHO) the way the Mac Finder should be.

Cheers.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland

Thanks. The switch from choosing between cut or copy to choosing between copy-paste or move makes sense. Still having to press option instead of just letting the user choose between "move here" and "paste" in the context menu is cumbersome.

I don't exactly see where this is mentioned in the "over 250 new features."
http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html
maybe I'm just being blind though

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
"Snap". But I just bought Cinch from the App Store and now I'm basically in heaven. It's a shame Apple didn't think of it first.

Joos24

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2011
Thanks. The switch from choosing between cut or copy to choosing between copy-paste or move makes sense. Still having to press option instead of just letting the user choose between "move here" and "paste" in the context menu is cumbersome.

I don't exactly see where this is mentioned in the "over 250 new features."
http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html
maybe I'm just being blind though

In the beginning it was mentioned on the website and it was also shown on screen during WWDC. Although some of the Windows crowd might try and take credit for the implementation of Cut Copy N Paste in Lion, they shouldn't. Apple added it to iOS and they are trying to bring the best features of iOS to Mac OS X and that was one of their main credited features, although I'm sure there was quite a request from their own customers as well for it.

However, I do agree with you, I don't know why Apple just didn't add the "Move Item Here" option as part of the right-click contextual menu rather than pressing Option but I'm not going to cry over it like some people (not you) are here. Before Lion there was no Cut N Paste in Finder (whoa Snow Leopard users, the system wasn't designed for it so please don't post your Terminal hacks to counteract my point) and it was quite a requested feature. Now that it's here people want it the "Windows way" or nothing at all.

Some people on this forum are just too picky here. Honestly, with all the cheering for how great Windows is....:rolleyes:.... and so much criticism for what Mac OS lacks.....:rolleyes:.....you'd wonder why people are buying a Mac at all? With limited hardware options, limited GPU options, higher cost and in some people's eyes, an OS that doesn't offer a fraction what great old Windows offers it just makes a person wonder. I also wonder if Windows forums start threads asking what features in OS X would like you to see in Windows? Somehow I don't think it's very often as Windows is such the great system. ;)

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
However, I do agree with you, I don't know why Apple just didn't add the "Move Item Here" option as part of the right-click contextual menu rather than pressing Option but I'm not going to cry over it like some people (not you) are here.
That's what is making OS X so featureless and dumbed down; Users that simply accept things that are half way done and apologize for Apple later.

Imagine my chagrin when I discovered the Cut 'n Paste was there only to find the "move" command wasn't in the context menu. :eek: Why is that? Who knows...

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
In the beginning it was mentioned on the website and it was also shown on screen during WWDC. Although some of the Windows crowd might try and take credit for the implementation of Cut Copy N Paste in Lion, they shouldn't. Apple added it to iOS and they are trying to bring the best features of iOS to Mac OS X and that was one of their main credited features, although I'm sure there was quite a request from their own customers as well for it.

However, I do agree with you, I don't know why Apple just didn't add the "Move Item Here" option as part of the right-click contextual menu rather than pressing Option but I'm not going to cry over it like some people (not you) are here. Before Lion there was no Cut N Paste in Finder (whoa Snow Leopard users, the system wasn't designed for it so please don't post your Terminal hacks to counteract my point) and it was quite a requested feature. Now that it's here people want it the "Windows way" or nothing at all.

Some people on this forum are just too picky here. Honestly, with all the cheering for how great Windows is....:rolleyes:.... and so much criticism for what Mac OS lacks.....:rolleyes:.....you'd wonder why people are buying a Mac at all? With limited hardware options, limited GPU options, higher cost and in some people's eyes, an OS that doesn't offer a fraction what great old Windows offers it just makes a person wonder. I also wonder if Windows forums start threads asking what features in OS X would like you to see in Windows? Somehow I don't think it's very often as Windows is such the great system. ;)

Yeah, nothing is perfect. I'm happy that I learned about the Option+paste possibility - or Option-Cmd-V.

What I still don't get is why there is a "Cut" option in the Finder->Edit menu, with the usual Cmd-X shortcut attached to it.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
that the x button actually closes the app. I like icould photo sync much better I have a shortcut on my desktop for downloaded pics and one for upload. take a pic and in a minute or two they are there to do with as I will including deleting them. far better than having to use iphoto.
the way apps instal and unistall are consistant in windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.