PDA

View Full Version : G4 verus G5 Benchmarks anyone?

Apple!Freak
Jun 4, 2005, 12:05 AM
Can anyone point me in the direction of benchmarks comparing the 1.5Ghz G4 Processor to the 1.8Ghz G5 processor?

Thanks in advance.

mad jew
Jun 4, 2005, 01:05 AM
Since you have them both, simply run Xbench (http://xbench.com/) or something similar on them and see for yourself. It'd be great if you posted the results too. :)

Apple!Freak
Jun 4, 2005, 01:14 AM
Since you have them both, simply run Xbench (http://xbench.com/) or something similar on them and see for yourself. It'd be great if you posted the results too. :)

How?

I ran the program on my iMac G5 and I got a score of 159.99? What in the hell does that mean? Can anyone clue me in? Is there a program that I can put both result numbers into and it will give me a nice graph on how they perform agienst each other?

Rocksaurus
Jun 4, 2005, 04:04 AM
Don't run Xbench - the scores that thing produces are HIGHLY variable and practically meaningless. Find something else.

mad jew
Jun 4, 2005, 04:34 AM
Don't run Xbench - the scores that thing produces are HIGHLY variable and practically meaningless. Find something else.

They're not that bad for two purposes in my opinion. Firstly, it can show bottlenecks in a single Mac (hard drive/processor or whatever). Secondly, it's good for comparing two specific systems to see which is better with respect to whatever criteria you choose.

Otherwise I agree though, benchmarks are generally pretty worthless. :(

Platform
Jun 4, 2005, 07:14 AM
What about Cinebench :rolleyes:

stockscalper
Jun 4, 2005, 07:21 AM
MacWorld just posted them. A 1.5 GHZ G4 had a speedmark of 136, whereas a 1.8 GHZ G5 posted 148. Not a lot of difference with most of the speed differential likely due to the increase speed of the chip. The faster frontside bus helps, but not as much as you would think. G4's are great chips and with the new dual core G4 coming out (which is capable of running a separate operating system in each core) the G4 is going to make a big run at the G5.

chatin
Jun 4, 2005, 07:46 AM
Can anyone point me in the direction of benchmarks comparing the 1.5Ghz G4 Processor to the 1.8Ghz G5 processor?

Thanks in advance.

Here are some performance graphs showing Apple's lackluster G5 machines. As you can see the G4 holds it own just fine with OSX, which is still mainly a 32bit OS. (One or two files are 64bit)

http://www.macintouch.com/perfpack/comparison.html

joecool85
Jun 4, 2005, 08:48 AM
MacWorld just posted them. A 1.5 GHZ G4 had a speedmark of 136, whereas a 1.8 GHZ G5 posted 148. Not a lot of difference with most of the speed differential likely due to the increase speed of the chip. The faster frontside bus helps, but not as much as you would think. G4's are great chips and with the new dual core G4 coming out (which is capable of running a separate operating system in each core) the G4 is going to make a big run at the G5.

Separate OS on each core?? I hadn't heard that!