Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Yesterday I posted about not being able to use the in-line mic on a particular headset. Seems the issue is more generic and more widespread, dating back a couple years according to Google. (Granted many of those results are about the internal microphone; I'm trying to get external mics to work.)

I have a bootcamp 3.3 install of Windows 7 Pro (x64) on my mid 2010 iMac. The built-in mic works and I get sound out of the headphone jack but I can't get any external mic to work -- either via the line in jack (which is not desirable anyway since it's line-level), or via the headphone jack & a 4-pole headset such as my Astro A40 (or any "iPhone" compatible headset, as per iMac specs).

Since all of these jacks, and the headset, work 100% without issue in OS X (SL) this is screaming Windows audio driver issue and I'd like to try alternative drivers, if there's even any to be tried.

I'd like to verify precisely what audio chipset is in use in this machine. System Profiler yields virtually useless information, stating simply Intel High Definition Audio. The Windows side of things has a Cirrus Logic driver installed -- but is that even the correct driver considering the issues that are being had?

I tried messing around with ioreg to get more details on the hardware but that threw me for a loop. :confused:

Anyone have suggestions on how I can get working audio input in Bootcamp? I'm doing this for the sake of SWTOR which, even with the ancient ATI drivers bundled w/ Bootcamp, has been running decently.

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
The 4-pole headphone jack doesn't work under Windows since the driver doesn't support it. As far as I know, there aren't any drivers that support it under Windows, so your best choice would be either a bluetooth or a usb-headset. However, with bluetooth headset, you'll need to install the Broadcom WIDCOMM drivers first since Windows 7 doesn't ship with a full BT stack. This driver worked for me: http://windows7bluetooth.com/broadcom-widcomm-bluetooth-driver-v-6-4-0-901-for-windows-7.html.

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
Bummer about the 4-pole jack if that is indeed the case. However I'm baffled why the line-in jack doesn't work at all. I'd be content having line-level input...

Cancelled
Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
I grabbed some ever-so-slightly newer drivers from Cirrus Logic and still no joy on the line-in jack. Windows detects the presence of something plugged into the jack, but I get no sound from it. :confused:

Anyway I caved and grabbed a SoundBlaster X-Fi Go! Pro. So far it's a decent workaround.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.