PDA

View Full Version : Apple Store Regents Street all lines due to be updated 10% off...WWDC?

shadowmoses
Jun 4, 2005, 10:45 AM
Just came back from Apple Store Regents street and all the products that are due to be updated were at 10% off while stocks last, the products in offer where:

-Single Processor Powermac G5
-Mac Mini
-iBook G4
-Powerbook G4
-Cinema Displays
-Shuffle's

This offer started this morning and most of it was gone by the time i got there this afternoon, and the offer lasts this weekend only....

This is surely one of the biggest signs yet that we are in for major updates in the coming week in all these lines.....

BRING ON WWDC

SHadow

gekko513
Jun 4, 2005, 11:07 AM
Nice, it's a good sign. And the selection of products do seem to make sense ... except maybe the displays.

IanC
Jun 4, 2005, 11:46 AM
except maybe the displays.

Unless there will be a small update to them. Enough for a new moel number maybe, but not different looking on the outside.

Tilmitt
Jun 4, 2005, 11:47 AM
w00t there is hope yet friends!!! Let's get it started!!! teh WWDC!!!!!

Ambrose Chapel
Jun 4, 2005, 12:16 PM
i hope the single proc power mac is on sale because steve is going to debut a dual core power mac at the top of the line, pushing every other model down a notch. :D

djkny
Jun 4, 2005, 12:22 PM
Means nothing. Apple Online store shows "same day" shipping for everything. 10% off retail pricing in London is the equivalent of "regular" pricing here in the States. Deals are illusions.

James Philp
Jun 4, 2005, 12:35 PM
'Bout time they got rid of that PM! All you need do is chec this (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=126497) out to know how crap it is now!
I have a feeling a new high-end PM model will be announced, and the dual 2GHz will be the new low-end PM.
I think it will be 2, 2.3, 2.7 and maybe 3 or 3.2.

Very interesting about the powerbooks though. We may be seeing a totally different concept to the PB design!? (like not G5 but some other kind of integrated architecture that will give them a significant speed boost)
This would allow the iBooks room to breathe upgrade-wise.

puckhead193
Jun 4, 2005, 12:45 PM
'Bout time they got rid of that PM!
I never under stood why they still had them once the iMac G5's came out...If your going to get a powermac your going to get it for its dual processors..

Fredstar
Jun 4, 2005, 12:45 PM
Means nothing. Apple Online store shows "same day" shipping for everything. 10% off retail pricing in London is the equivalent of "regular" pricing here in the States. Deals are illusions.

Why would they offer a 10% discount if they weren't all getting a little update..so close to WWDC, clearly an attempt to clear stock of products that will be updatednext week.

Macky-Mac
Jun 4, 2005, 12:55 PM
I never under stood why they still had them once the iMac G5's came out...If your going to get a powermac your going to get it for its dual processors..

those exist because of the anti All-In-One buyers

if you read many threads here you'll find lots and lots of posts from people saying they wont ever buy an AIO because they don't want to have to pay for another monitor when they upgrade in future or they're afraid the monitor will die and then the whole computer will be worthless trash or they all ready have a perfectly good monitor so why should they be forced to buy a new one.....and so on......even if you dont agree with them, there are lots of people who feel quite strongly against buying an AIO

it's similar to the the emac vs mini arguements......just a bit further up the price scale.......so with the SP they have something to buy, even if it's not a particularly good deal compared to the iMac

admanimal
Jun 4, 2005, 12:59 PM
Just came back from Apple Store Regents street and all the products that are due to be updated were at 10% off while stocks last, the products in offer where:

-Single Processor Powermac G5
-Mac Mini
-iBook G4
-Powerbook G4
-Cinema Displays
-Shuffle's

This offer started this morning and most of it was gone by the time i got there this afternoon, and the offer lasts this weekend only....

This is surely one of the biggest signs yet that we are in for major updates in the coming week in all these lines.....

BRING ON WWDC

SHadow

You mean they didn't put all Macs with IBM CPUs on sale to make way for Intel?? Crazy!

GeeYouEye
Jun 4, 2005, 01:07 PM
You mean they didn't put all Macs with IBM CPUs on sale to make way for Intel?? Crazy!
G4's are from Freescale, not IBM. :)

psycho bob
Jun 4, 2005, 01:30 PM
I wonder if this has anything to do with the report that stated Apple had large supplies of all their products bar the iMac for the first time in God knows when. It would be fantastic if we saw wholesale updates come Monday but it may just be an attempt to clear inventory because thay have too much. I'll play devil's advocate on this one.

shadowmoses
Jun 4, 2005, 01:47 PM
They also had a large amount of Rev A Ipod mini's in pink on discount, i didnt bother to check the price because they are of no interest to me....but i wonder where they got that stock from, shows pink was the least popular colour though.

ShadoW

deebster
Jun 5, 2005, 03:16 AM

UK prices are much more than US.

Prices in at an exchange rate of 1 : $ 1.80, no US tax included

iBook 12" - UK 699, US 553
PBook 12" combo - UK 1,049, US 830
PB 15" SD - UK 1,579, US 1,273
iMac 17" 2.0 - UK 999, US 830
PM 2.0 - UK 1,349, US 1,107

Even with 10% off in UK and +7% tax in US they are still more expensive in the UK.

Regardless of this, I'd say a 10% discount on *these models* in the Regent Street, London store is a sure sign of Apple clearing out old inventory.

Bring on Monday

:D

aswitcher
Jun 5, 2005, 03:30 AM
A good sign...thanks...wonder if the other UK store is discounting...

shadowmoses
Jun 5, 2005, 04:21 AM
Also forgot to mention they had the apple Bluetooth mice at 10% off aswell.
Shadow

timmyb
Jun 5, 2005, 04:40 AM
Means nothing. Apple Online store shows "same day" shipping for everything. 10% off retail pricing in London is the equivalent of "regular" pricing here in the States. Deals are illusions.Maybe Apple have stopped broadcasting new updates via ship times, (they must know how much people like us are reading in to them.) Apple price most things as more expensive in the UK than the US, a song on iTunes is 99p in the UK which is $1.79, (compared with $0.99 from US iTunes,) so the 10% off for the weekend isn't due to price differences. It could be excess stock but I really hope it points to updates, (all the discounts are on ranges with updates rumoured.)

nw43
Jun 5, 2005, 05:59 AM
Also forgot to mention they had the apple Bluetooth mice at 10% off aswell.
Shadow

Maybe a sign for an 'update' to a two-button mouse? ;)

Applespider
Jun 5, 2005, 06:12 AM
Apple price most things as more expensive in the UK than the US, a song on iTunes is 99p in the UK which is $1.79, (compared with $0.99 from US iTunes,)

Actually, it's 79p (inc VAT) rather than 99c (ex sales tax) - still dearer but not by as much you think...

gekko513
Jun 5, 2005, 06:34 AM
I just had an unnerving thought. What if the Regent street store just applied a discount to the products they think may be updated next week, and that they don't really know anything more than we do and base the discounts just on rumors.

They wouldn't really lose anything by doing that, I'm sure they still have a small profit even after the 10% discount and at the same time they will have a lower inventory on any products that actually are updated, reducing loss.

dcv
Jun 5, 2005, 10:30 AM
...but didn't manage to bag any bargains :(

I asked one of the sales guys what the deal was and he said it was just the boxes piled up in the middle of the store that were discounted, basically because they were opened boxes from returns, or damaged packaging, or refurbished items, etc.

There weren't any notebooks left by the time i got there today. They had 17" imacs for 899 and the 20" (or whatever the larger size is) for 1070. There was a powermac with about 350 off the regular price. Some cinema displays available but can't remember the price. The airport extreme was down to 99 and there were various other peripherals on sale. Still plenty of those pink mini ipods left!

I don't think this sale has anything to do with impending updates as the non-refurbished stuff was still normal price.

Edit: i just checked the regular price of the imacs and they start at 899 anyway :confused:

asif786
Jun 5, 2005, 10:58 AM
They also had a large amount of Rev A Ipod mini's in pink on discount, i didnt bother to check the price because they are of no interest to me....but i wonder where they got that stock from, shows pink was the least popular colour though.

ShadoW

i heard that it was because they ordered a vast amount of pink minis for valentines day and they didnt all shift.

they've been putting those old minis out for ages..looks like nobody wants themm..who would?

Applespider
Jun 5, 2005, 04:01 PM
I asked one of the sales guys what the deal was and he said it was just the boxes piled up in the middle of the store that were discounted, basically because they were opened boxes from returns, or damaged packaging, or refurbished items, etc.

Pity...they do that most Saturdays I think. Or perhaps just the first Saturday in the month - I know I saw a pile of junk.... or rather refurb'ed items.... that day.

How much are the pink minis? It's my sister's birthday in a few weeks and she really wouldn't care which model it was...so long as it was pink.

asif786
Jun 5, 2005, 04:20 PM
Pity...they do that most Saturdays I think. Or perhaps just the first Saturday in the month - I know I saw a pile of junk.... or rather refurb'ed items.... that day.

How much are the pink minis? It's my sister's birthday in a few weeks and she really wouldn't care which model it was...so long as it was pink.

i think it was only marginally cheaper than the current 4gb ones..perhaps 129/139..perhaps that's why nobody wants them.. :rolleyes:

m-dogg
Jun 5, 2005, 04:52 PM

ShadoW

least popular? no way - chicks dig 'em!

dops7107
Jun 5, 2005, 05:21 PM
least popular? no way - chicks dig 'em!

You wouldn't say iPods in general are more popular with guys though?

OT - *are* there any chicks on MR??

DakotaGuy
Jun 5, 2005, 05:50 PM
I think this discount could point to completely new Powerbooks, iBooks and Mac Mini's all running with Pentium M processors tomorrow. Emulation will handle compatibility issues and should produce a laptop and a Mini that will run as fast or almost as fast as the current G4 hardware. Wild guess, but anything is possible at this point. If Apple is going x86 this is the way to make it happen.

mkrishnan
Jun 5, 2005, 06:34 PM
iBook 12" - UK 699, US 553
PBook 12" combo - UK 1,049, US 830
PB 15" SD - UK 1,579, US 1,273
iMac 17" 2.0 - UK 999, US 830
PM 2.0 - UK 1,349, US 1,107

Deebster, I don't understand these numbers. What do they mean? If the UK price is 699, then the equivalent price in USD, ignoring taxation differences, is 699 * 1.8 $/ = $1258, right? Or is the 553 the US store price if converted to pounds?

shadowmoses
Jun 6, 2005, 01:46 AM
Deebster, I don't understand these numbers. What do they mean? If the UK price is 699, then the equivalent price in USD, ignoring taxation differences, is 699 * 1.8 $/ = $1258, right? Or is the 553 the US store price if converted to pounds?

533 would be the price in pounds when converted from dollars

devilot
Jun 6, 2005, 01:52 AM
You wouldn't say iPods in general are more popular with guys though?

OT - *are* there any chicks on MR??

I know more women w/ iPods than men... and I'm a lady, on MR. :p

dops7107
Jun 6, 2005, 02:55 AM
I know more women w/ iPods than men... and I'm a lady, on MR. :p

[MENTAL NOTE] that's one, how many more... [/MENTAL NOTE]

;)

deebster
Jun 6, 2005, 03:53 AM
mkrishnan, shadowmoses is right.

All prices in UK pounds, based on a to $ rate of 1.80

I'm English, living in Thailand and I keep a spreadsheet of prices of latest models from the UK, US, Thailand, Hong Kong and Singapore, in readiness for when I splurge on a new Mac.

No prizes for guessing which country is the most expensive.

Applespider
Jun 6, 2005, 04:17 AM
[MENTAL NOTE] that's one, how many more... [/MENTAL NOTE]

There are quite a few of us on MR - the 'Demi-Goddess' is a bit of a giveaway ;)

dops7107
Jun 6, 2005, 04:23 AM
There are quite a few of us on MR - the 'Demi-Goddess' is a bit of a giveaway ;)

Ahh - true enough! Could start a poll that anyone can answer: Are you a guy or gal? heheh, I guess people wouldn't have to answer truthfully! :rolleyes:

Uma888
Jun 6, 2005, 04:53 AM
i think all the lines mentioned WILL be updated,

Displays MIGHT have more inputs, e.g HDMI (On the 23" & 30"), Svideo on all etc

Ibooks will be updated
Mac mini Will be core image ready
Single prcessoers will be discontinued
Shuffles will get screens
PowerBooks will get HD screens (15" & 17" (All with 128mb VRAM)), 12" will be discontinued, 13.3" will be introduced
*two button wheel mice will be introduced :p

asif786
Jun 6, 2005, 05:26 AM
i think all the lines mentioned WILL be updated,

Displays MIGHT have more inputs, e.g HDMI (On the 23" & 30"), Svideo on all etc

i hope so; nowdays i'm finding it a little difficult to justify apple's high markup on the displays. hopefully they will give us a great reason to pick the apple ones (apart from looks :p)

Piarco
Jun 6, 2005, 06:06 AM

You know, after nearly a year of posting on these forums and seeing your posts, I've never actually noticed? Shows what a dumbass I am! :eek:

Back to the Apple Store prices though.... I know a work collegue who may well be interested in a pink mini, especially as I explained what the original mini's come with. Mind you, she likes thing really pink, so she may still go for the 2nd Gen model!

I am hoping (now desparately) that this is a precursor to the introduction of new models, along the lines of what Uma888 says. I'd go for the 13" widescreen PB in a minute.... well, maybe a bit longer once I've weighed up the difference between the 15"! Old habits die hard(er)....

Role on 6pm!! Good work by Arn and Knox on the live server too....

dcv
Jun 6, 2005, 07:13 AM

I wasn't really paying attention to the ipod prices but i *think* they were around 125.

mkrishnan
Jun 6, 2005, 10:23 AM
mkrishnan, shadowmoses is right.

Gotcha, thanks! :) Those *are* pretty significant differences....

FWIW I know more women than men with iPods, too, but I'm not one of them. ;)

Nickygoat
Jun 6, 2005, 10:35 AM
115 I think. They had 20" ACDs for 500 on Saturday - I was sorely tempted but was there with my g/f who said "Why do you need that - it's way too big" -d'oh that's the point :p. All the accessories are 10% off.