PDA

View Full Version : weak signal on airport

proverbs
Jun 5, 2005, 05:23 PM
i got my sister a wireless airport card for her G5 and i noticed that it stays on 1 bar. she said that the internet runs really slow sometimes and i'm guessing that's because of the weak signal. i brought my powerbook in her room and i have a full 5 bar signal, so i know its not the distance. did i do something wrong on the install?

Bozola
Jun 5, 2005, 05:42 PM
Make sure that you plug in the antenna ALL THE WAY...
http://www.apple.com/support/powerbook/doityourself/15al/

proverbs
Jun 5, 2005, 06:00 PM
the card is in her PowerMac G5 desktop and she seems to always have 1 bar...but when i go into her room with my powerbook, i have full 5 bars...

proverbs
Jun 5, 2005, 07:53 PM
maybe i just have to tighten the card??

jsw
Jun 5, 2005, 07:55 PM
As mentioned in the post above: does she have the external antenna connected to the back of her G5? It looks a bit like a "T" and is required for Airport reception of any real strength. it came with her G5.

jsw
Jun 5, 2005, 07:57 PM
In other words, something must be plugged into the top jack in the image below.

http://images.apple.com/powermac/images/expansionports06262003.gif

proverbs
Jun 5, 2005, 08:01 PM
yes, it is connected. could there be another reason?

jsw
Jun 5, 2005, 08:03 PM
I suppose it's possible that the body of the G5 is blocking the signal - any chance that the wireless router is blocked by the PowerMac? Does rotating the PM's body make a difference?

aussie_geek
Jun 5, 2005, 08:52 PM
Another possibility....

Open up the G5 and check that the card is seated correctly and the internal antenna wire is plugged into the Airport card.

aussie_geek

jalagl
Jun 5, 2005, 10:31 PM
It can be lots of things - I recently relocated my Powerbook to a new desk, that is in a different position than where it was before. This cause the signal to drop from full to only 1-2 bars, and I keep having problems with disconnections to the internet. If I move a couple of meters back, to where the old desk use to be (a space now occupied with my bed), I get a full signal again.
My Windows laptop, sitting right next to the Powerbook, gets a very decent signal (not full, but at least 3/4).

These are the strange things about wireless networks. I would suggest moving the G5 around a little bit

Me? I'm going to buy a range extender for my router to ensure I get full signal everywhere in the house from now on.