Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AudiGuy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 8, 2005
damn my 12 powerbook be gettin hot!!!!! hotter than my PC laptop it seems.....

all im running is safari and ichat. the hard temp is always around 46-48 degrees... is that normal? oh and i have it on my bed i dunno if that helps raise the temp or not. whats the normal temp if youre just running safari and ichat?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Sounds just about right. The CPU on my iBook G4@800 normally lies between 50 and 60°C when I run iTunes/AirTunes and Safari with a couple of tabs whilst connected to power (and 35-45°C on battery typically running iTunes (but normally NOT AirTunes) and Safari). When I fire up Classic and/or rip CDs the temperature quickly raises to 66-67°C at which point the fan kicks in...

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Any laptop, if you defeat the cooling, it will overheat, and this can be A Bad Thing TM

Fellow here kept his Powerbook in a desk drawer, asleep. Of course, no ventillation -- the machine woke up for some reason, in the drawer, and literally caught fire. Apple issued their Powerbook Battery recall two days later...

So if you're on a bed, make sure that the fabric isn't blocking any vents. Better yet rig up a tray affair that guves a solid surface for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.