Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vnimanie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Moscow
Hi everyone!
I've already got mbp 13 (mid 2010), but I understood that I need something more.
I ve got this variants:
1. Get iMac 27', and use mbp 13 as on the go desecion
2. Get mbp 17' and keep mbp 13 as on the go desecion
3. Sell mbp 13 , and get mbp 15 as all in one system
4. Keep mbp 13 and get air 11'6
Which of this could you advice?
I'm a student, but I don't need to take my mbp always with me, but mobility of the mbp is actually important.
The prices in Russia for Mac are a lit bit bigger:
Mbp 15 - 2000$
iMac 27 - 2000$
Mbp 17 - 2300$
Air 11.6 - 1150$
Thank your in advance!
Or should I wait for mbp summer lineup?

vnimanie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Moscow
Watching video,net serfing, some office applications, all night torrent station.
Mostly I would use it at home instead of PC, but once-twice a week I would need to carry it out not far away.Other days iPad is enough.
that is all my needs

Nov 28, 2010
located
Hi everyone!
I've already got mbp 13 (mid 2010), but I understood that I need something more.
Why do you need more for this?
Watching video,net serfing, some office applications, all night torrent station.
Mostly I would use it at home instead of PC, but once-twice a week I would need to carry it out not far away.Other days iPad is enough.
that is all my needs

You MacBook Pro is more than capable enough to handle these tasks.
Do you want more screen real estate? What about an external monitor and some dock?
Or what about a Mac mini?

For your computational needs, neither of the solutions you listed is needed, maybe wanted, but not needed.
As it is a want, it is more up to you, if you want a 27" iMac, or if you could live with the basic 21.5" iMac, as that Mac is also capable of fulfilling your needs. Heck, even my 2007 iMac can do that, and much more (HD video editing and compositing, RAW photo manipulation).

If I were you, I would either get the base 21.5" iMac or Mac mini + external display.
And an external HDD or two for storing those files and backing them up, if important.

vnimanie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Moscow
I wanted to say that no more,but bigger.
I think that the most likely desecion for me is to sell my mbp and get 15' one.
What do you think about this?

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
I wanted to say that no more,but bigger.
I think that the most likely desecion for me is to sell my mbp and get 15' one.
What do you think about this?

If it was me then either
1) keep what you have and just get a external monitor.

2) sell what you have for a 15". The 15", unlike the 13", will have a dedicated graphics chip which is nice.

I used to own a 2009 13" MB, then a 2010 13" MBP along with a 27" iMac. I sold the 13"/27" combo in favor of my 2010 15" and I use a high end external monitor for serious photo editing. I love this combo and the 15" screen meets all my needs 95% of the time. Of course everyones wants and needs are different. If your current computer is doing everything you need except for space then a monitor is all you need - except perhaps more RAM or a bigger/faster hard drive. I upgraded my 2010 base 15" with a bigger/faster hard drive and 8gb ram and if does everything I want ;)

vnimanie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2012
Moscow
Vantage Point, thank you!
Your post helped me to take a decision.
I would sell my 13'' and then get 15".
bigger/faster hard drive
- i've got 120 ssd instead of standard hard drive)

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
Vantage Point, thank you!
Your post helped me to take a decision.
I would sell my 13'' and then get 15".
- i've got 120 ssd instead of standard hard drive)

That's a fast drive but not big. I needed big because I keep a lot of my photos on it as I am a photographer so I upgraded to a 750gb 7200 rpm drive which has 550gigs filled. 7200 rpm is about 30% faster than 5400rpm for the same density drive. Anyway, if you don't want or need size then get a base MBP. Then Clone the drive onto an external - I use Carbon Copy Cloner. Then remove the drive from your new MBP and swap with the SSD. As you probably know this does not void warranty. Of course you would need to clone both drives before a swap... Then you can sell your 13" by mentioning it has a brand new hard drive.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.