PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Match Goes Live in the Netherlands

MacRumors
Jan 16, 2012, 01:51 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/16/itunes-match-goes-live-in-the-netherlands/)

Less than a week after Dutch music copyright organization Buma/Stemra announced (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/10/apple-signs-deal-to-bring-itunes-match-to-the-netherlands/) that it had struck a deal with Apple regarding iTunes Match, the service has now gone live in the Dutch iTunes Store.

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/01/itunes_match_nl.jpg

An iTunes Match link is not yet showing up on the front page of the Dutch iTunes Store, but Apple has updated the iTunes Store terms and conditions in the Netherlands with new text covering the service and the generic link to the iTunes Match page [iTunes Store (https://buy.itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZFinance.woa/wa/sagaWelcome?workflowID=260)] is now working for those who have set their systems to access the Dutch version of the store.

As in other European countries, iTunes Match is priced at EUR24.99 per year.

Article Link: iTunes Match Goes Live in the Netherlands (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/16/itunes-match-goes-live-in-the-netherlands/)

iekozz
Jan 16, 2012, 01:59 PM
Little note: If the license agreement it says that if you match / upload any illegal obtained music to the service, you can be sued.

Before you freak out: Downloading is legal here, uploading is not. And, you may make one copy of anything you have obtained for your personal use should you lose it.

pauliaK
Jan 16, 2012, 02:08 PM
It's probably not only Dutch store that just got this. It seems it's live at least for Lithuanian store as well, because I just had to agree with new terms and conditions with main focus on iTunes match service.

room237
Jan 16, 2012, 02:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wonder if it cuts off the ends of songs out there.

RoelJuun
Jan 16, 2012, 02:58 PM
Subscribing NOW!

tijn89
Jan 16, 2012, 03:33 PM
I have subscribed, but it seems not fully operational yet.

digitalfrog
Jan 16, 2012, 03:43 PM
same here ... it keeps on telling me to log out and try again ... loop.

Twizz91
Jan 16, 2012, 04:07 PM
same here ... it keeps on telling me to log out and try again ... loop.
Jup.
Doesn't work for me either, although iTunes states that i've paid for it.

BTW: this page is already updated:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5085

justperry
Jan 16, 2012, 10:07 PM
This release is half a year late for Me, I would have used it if I was there but I'm in a country which won't have this anytime soon, if ever.

But even then, My library is too big to even be eligible to use it.

Twizz91
Jan 17, 2012, 01:21 AM
It's functional!

digitalfrog
Jan 17, 2012, 02:35 AM
It's functional!

for me too ...

CubusX
Jan 17, 2012, 10:41 AM
How about fixing the problems with in the countries that have it, before expanding it out to new countries?

milo
Jan 17, 2012, 10:57 AM
How about fixing the problems with in the countries that have it, before expanding it out to new countries?

DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!

We have a winner!

digitalfrog
Jan 17, 2012, 11:20 AM
DINGDINGDINGDINGDING!

We have a winner!

Sorry but maybe the problem that you do have will not bother millions of other ? Whatever issue it is, it should be fixed indeed, but the world should stop going forward everytime something does not work for you ;-) ? Really ?!

Heebeejeebies
Jan 17, 2012, 11:22 AM
Sorry but maybe the problem that you do have will not bother millions of other ? Whatever issue it is, it should be fixed indeed, but the world should stop going forward everytime something does not work for you ;-) ? Really ?!

DINGDINGDING

We have a winner...

Been using iTunes Match from the first day it was launched in the US and haven't had any problems.

CubusX
Jan 17, 2012, 11:47 AM
DINGDINGDING

We have a winner...

Been using iTunes Match from the first day it was launched in the US and haven't had any problems.

So it's not everyone that is having issues...

I called Apple about a syncing issue between my iPhone and my MacBook Pro when using iTunes Match. The higher level tech admitted that there are issues with iTM. The issues range from syncing the phone over wi-fi (locating the phone/preparing downloads even though there are not changes that needs to be made) and album art disappearing or not downloading to the device.

An Apple employee admittied the issues and said that there will be an update "sometime in the future". Whether we see it is the question. After all, we see how well the 5.0.1 update did not solve the battery issues with iOS 5.

safeshoping
Jan 17, 2012, 11:54 AM
where to buy itunes for match ?

milo
Jan 17, 2012, 12:01 PM
Sorry but maybe the problem that you do have will not bother millions of other ?

Nope, there are many problems that are 100% confirmed for all users. Not user error, not intermittent issues, but problems that are bugs that happen every time for every user. Just look at the support boards and you'll see plenty of them.

I'm not asking for "stop going forward", I'm just saying that fixing widespread confirmed bugs should be a higher priority than bringing the buggy software to more people.

And all that means is that you are lucky to not have encountered the problems, not that the problems don't exist. If you were to test out the things that are broken, you'd see the problems as well.

Heebeejeebies
Jan 17, 2012, 12:08 PM
Nope, there are many problems that are 100% confirmed for all users. Not user error, not intermittent issues, but problems that are bugs that happen every time for every user. Just look at the support boards and you'll see plenty of them.

I'm not asking for "stop going forward", I'm just saying that fixing widespread confirmed bugs should be a higher priority than bringing the buggy software to more people.

And all that means is that you are lucky to not have encountered the problems, not that the problems don't exist. If you were to test out the things that are broken, you'd see the problems as well.

Maybe you're right, but the major problems I've heard about are play counts, playlists, album artwork, and I have no problems with any of those things...

Twizz91
Jan 17, 2012, 12:22 PM
Alright, I have an iCloud-status called 'Ongerechtigd' , don't know the exact translation for (perhaps: inlegitimate?) , but what does this mean? For instance, it affects a song by DJ Jean, which I bought legally as a single (as in: compact disc) but also some other songs. They will not sync with iCloud.
Is this new? If not, what is it?

milo
Jan 17, 2012, 12:41 PM
Maybe you're right, but the major problems I've heard about are play counts, playlists, album artwork, and I have no problems with any of those things...

Here are a couple specific playlist examples.

Try making a smart playlist that references another playlist. Does it show up properly on an iOS device?

Try making a smart playlist with the criteria "limited to 25 items". On an iOS device does it limit to 25 or is it much more than that?

Once Match is activated, do you see Genius playlists as an option on iOS devices?

I'd also be shocked if when you play a song on an iOS device it updates the play count and last played on your computer in a timely manner. If that's consistently happening for you, you're in a tiny TINY minority.

Alright, I have an iCloud-status called 'Ongerechtigd' , don't know the exact translation for (perhaps: inlegitimate?) , but what does this mean? For instance, it affects a song by DJ Jean, which I bought legally as a single (as in: compact disc) but also some other songs. They will not sync with iCloud.

Probably "ineligible".

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS4124

Twizz91
Jan 17, 2012, 12:49 PM
********************************!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What does iTunes use to recognize a song????
It has to upload 18k form the 25k songs!!!!

milo
Jan 17, 2012, 12:57 PM
What does iTunes use to recognize a song????
It has to upload 18k form the 25k songs!!!!

Looks like it uses waveform analysis only.

And wait until it's done uploading before jumping to conclusions, in many cases it says it's uploading a huge number of songs but many of those are matched songs where it's only uploading metadata and album artwork.

Heebeejeebies
Jan 17, 2012, 01:04 PM
Here are a couple specific playlist examples.

Try making a smart playlist that references another playlist. Does it show up properly on an iOS device?

Try making a smart playlist with the criteria "limited to 25 items". On an iOS device does it limit to 25 or is it much more than that?

Once Match is activated, do you see Genius playlists as an option on iOS devices?

I'd also be shocked if when you play a song on an iOS device it updates the play count and last played on your computer in a timely manner. If that's consistently happening for you, you're in a tiny TINY minority.

My computer updates play counts on a daily basis, and if I want an immediate update, I can always "Update iTunes Match."

As for the playlist issues, I will admit I have the problems you mentioned... I'm not a big playlist user, but I can understand why people are upset by it.

milo
Jan 17, 2012, 02:02 PM
My computer updates play counts on a daily basis, and if I want an immediate update, I can always "Update iTunes Match."

If you play a song on an iOS device, the play count is updated on your computer within a day? That's much better than most people have seen, and I'd argue that even that isn't fast enough, particularly since manual music sync is disabled.

Twizz91
Jan 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
Looks like it uses waveform analysis only.

And wait until it's done uploading before jumping to conclusions, in many cases it says it's uploading a huge number of songs but many of those are matched songs where it's only uploading metadata and album artwork.
Hmm, when it has finished step 2 it clearly states it has only matched 6k songs...
Butt i'll keep it running for the night, tomorrow I'll see it if has finished.

gnasher729
Jan 20, 2012, 10:50 AM

There is "inelegible", which includes:

Songs of less than four seconds (I think).

Songs at less than 100 KBit/second (try converting to 128 Kbit first).

Certain MP3 songs with VBR are incorrectly recognized as lower bit rate CBR. That problem was always there, but usually didn't matter (try converting them to 128 KBit).

Things like album art, books etc. which might be in iTunes.

Audiobooks.

AAC files created with certain non-iTunes encoders (try converting them).

But this isn't done by the same people. The lawyers who set up and signed the necessary contracts in the Netherlands wouldn't be able to fix any bugs in the software.

milo
Jan 23, 2012, 09:36 AM
But this isn't done by the same people. The lawyers who set up and signed the necessary contracts in the Netherlands wouldn't be able to fix any bugs in the software.

Of course it's not the same people. The lawyers hammer out the legal details, but that doesn't mean they need to ship it the second the ink is dry. The smart thing would be to ask the guys fixing the bugs what state the software is in and then wait for an update with bug fixes before releasing to new markets.

Sure looks like they're trying to release as fast as possible to appease the bean counters, but I'd argue that trying to bring more money in the door as soon as possible is negated by shipping prematurely and having users angry and demanding refunds.

gnasher729
Jan 23, 2012, 11:14 AM
Of course it's not the same people. The lawyers hammer out the legal details, but that doesn't mean they need to ship it the second the ink is dry. The smart thing would be to ask the guys fixing the bugs what state the software is in and then wait for an update with bug fixes before releasing to new markets.

Sure looks like they're trying to release as fast as possible to appease the bean counters, but I'd argue that trying to bring more money in the door as soon as possible is negated by shipping prematurely and having users angry and demanding refunds.

That doesn't make sense at all. Millions of people are using it and happy with it, bugs or not. I'm one of them. Why should people in the Netherlands wait longer than necessary?

milo
Jan 23, 2012, 01:46 PM
That doesn't make sense at all. Millions of people are using it and happy with it, bugs or not. I'm one of them. Why should people in the Netherlands wait longer than necessary?

Because many other people ARE having problems, and waiting a bit longer to ship something with fewer bugs means happier customers, fewer refunds and people giving up on the product, and less demands on their support team. Especially with a product like this where once a user's library is matched/uploaded, it's much more of a pain to fix errors than to get it right in the first place.

If you're happy, that's nice but that doesn't change the fact that there are major bugs that are 100% reproducible for all users (you're just lucky to not have used those particular features). I'm sure with any defective product you can find people who have avoided the problems and are happy with it.

If you can't make sense out of "ship software with fewer major bugs" I don't know what to tell you.

If nothing else, they should have spread out the releases instead of making it available to 19 countries at once, their servers got hammered and access was extremely slow (if available at all) for several days.