Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
Imagine going to Apple's site and seeing this PowerMac:

3.2GHz x2 Intel Pentium D
800MHz frontside bus/processor
1MB L2 cache/processor
512MB DDR2 533 SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA
16x SuperDrive (double-layer)
Three PCI Slots
ATI Radeon 9600
128MB DDR video memory

Could they call this the G6? I mean technically it is the sixth generation of processor used by Apple--it's also an Intel processor. I really hope Apple doesn't start using numbers in their model numbers, like PowerMac 840 or something. Do you think this is a possibility?

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
jamdr said:
I really hope Apple doesn't start using numbers in their model numbers, like PowerMac 840 or something.

You mean start again? Power Macs were named by model numbers in the '90s. For example, I had a Power Mac 8600...

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
jamdr said:
Could they call this the G6? I mean technically it is the sixth generation of processor used by Apple
It's not even the sixth processor for the Mac, there were 68000, '020, '030 and '040 before PowerPC came along.

I think that the new Mac mini gives us a good hint about future naming schemes.

iBook -> Mac Shuffle
Mac mini: no change
eMac: who cares?
iMac: no change
PowerBook -> Mac U2
Power Mac -> Mac Photo

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
It would be possible that Apple would call it the G6, but I doubt it. There are 5 generations of PowerPC's in Macs. That is where you get the whole G3, G4, G5 trademarks. My guess is they will just refer to the product as what it is...an iMac, iBook, PowerMac, Powerbook. They might also add model numbers based on what processors they are running, but they can just say here is a new iMac with a 3.6Ghz Pentium 4 processor. (don't flame me, it was only an example.)

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
iMeowbot said:
It's not even the sixth processor for the Mac, there were 68000, '020, '030 and '040 before PowerPC came along.

iBook -> Mac Shuffle
PowerBook -> Mac U2
Power Mac -> Mac Photo

There are 5 generations of PPC, however, hence the G3, G4, and G5 monikers. Why not a G6?

I think Apple will pick a slightly more Gen Y name, like calling it the Apple Z6. Sounds more like a BMW than a CPU.

progx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
i think the G5 is it for the g-series, since it only referred to the generations of powerpc chips in the mac. it would cause confusing marketing to media and customers alike, it'll be something different.

i'm thinking they might go back to numbers.

or possibly use intel's chip name scheme: power mac D, power book M

as i type these examples, i'm shuttering at everyone of them.

why didn't Apple try to match up their roadmap with AMD? they were heading in the same direction as IBM, but with a mobile chip. AMD has the 64-bit technology, Intel doesn't (in fact, they're trying to find a way to steal it from AMD; like they always do. talk about a lack of innovation from the leading x86 supplier, they're a joke. :D )

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
savar said:
There are 5 generations of PPC, however, hence the G3, G4, and G5 monikers. Why not a G6?

There are 5 generations of Power processors, but the G5 is based on the derivative of the Power4, not the Power5 :p

From a marketing/naming perspective, i wish they would keep the G name, but I don't see why Apple would keep the G name... It describes the processor, not the computer, and I think calling the same processor Pentium 5 and G6 would be confusing.

jamdr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 20, 2003
Bay Area
progx said:
why didn't Apple try to match up their roadmap with AMD? they were heading in the same direction as IBM, but with a mobile chip. AMD has the 64-bit technology, Intel doesn't (in fact, they're trying to find a way to steal it from AMD; like they always do. talk about a lack of innovation from the leading x86 supplier, they're a joke. :D )
I know. I think this whole thing would be a lot easier to swallow if it was AMD and not Intel. This is going to take a long time to get used to.

deanbo

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Will Apple Keep The PowerMac Name

I'm guessing the PowerMac derived it's name from PowerPC. So what will the Intel based PowerMac be called?

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Does Apple even have trademark rights for "G6", Pontiac has a car called the G6?????

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
jamdr said:
Imagine going to Apple's site and seeing this PowerMac:

3.2GHz x2 Intel Pentium D
800MHz frontside bus/processor
1MB L2 cache/processor
512MB DDR2 533 SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA
16x SuperDrive (double-layer)
Three PCI Slots
ATI Radeon 9600
128MB DDR video memory

Could they call this the G6? I mean technically it is the sixth generation of processor used by Apple--it's also an Intel processor. I really hope Apple doesn't start using numbers in their model numbers, like PowerMac 840 or something. Do you think this is a possibility?

OK to be a G6 CPU wise, but the rest NO WAY, 9600, PCI slots, 160GB HDD, No Blue-Ray :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: And even with new Intel CPUs the 'famous' PPC amazing FSB will go down :mad:

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
i dont think that they will even use the processor name in the title anymore.

i think that they are just going to come out with new machines and call them the new powerbook and ibook and so on. and then you will just now how fast your new intel processor is without having it in the name. im not sure that intel would want apple changing the processor names specifically for their own products.

:mad:

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
iMeowbot said:

iBook -> Mac Shuffle
PowerBook -> Mac U2
Power Mac -> Mac Photo

They better not call PowerBooks "Mac U2", I would yell boycott down the streets for miles if my voice carried that far. A U2 iPod I can overlook, but lord help whomever decides to take it further, I'll slay them myself with my not-U2 homebrew PowerMac Dual-AMD 64 box running OSX 10.6 "Super-cool Huge/strong Cat" :rolleyes:

I'm really hoping for something like buryyourbrideau had, where they just start to call the systems by name and you just know whats in them. Afterall, PowerBook G4 works fine for three models, we all know the specs based on screensize. I pray Apple doesn't adopt 'model names' again, its far too Dell-ish IMO.

minimax

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2005
really, apple moves to intel x86 architecture and all hell breaks loose:

a) will there be stickers on my mac?
b) will mac commercials be accompanied by the Intel theme?
c) will apple keep using the power prefix?
d) what will be the new name to replace G4/G5?

Those are all quite existential questions for the mac platform. Only God knows the answer to those questions. May Steve have mercy on us.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
You can bet that the Apple marketing department is working hard on what the name will be. G5 has a great identity of its own, you don't have to say PowerMac G5, its just understood that it's Apple's high end computer

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
I figure they will keep the names:
PowerMac
PowerBook
iMac
iBook
eMac
Mac mini

But append different monikers at the end for example:

PowerMac ID4 (Intel Dual 4Ghz)
PowerBook IM3

etc etc.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
James Philp said:
I figure they will keep the names:
PowerMac
PowerBook
iMac
iBook
eMac
Mac mini

But append different monikers at the end for example:

PowerMac ID4 (Intel Dual 4Ghz)
PowerBook IM3

etc etc.

Appending the names like that would be the lesser of evils, but I still don't know if its neccesary for the lines. Apple has differentiated itself nicely in that it just names the systems and thats it, so simple.
You don't read PowerBook G4 1.5, that is something you say to clarify but its not in the model name itself.
I hate how Dell has their Inspirion 6000d or whatever, it even sounds like cheap plastic :p

I think Apple can and will keep the current naming however, because although the 'power' portion can be connected with PowerPC chips, it is also their power line of computers, professional level or what have you. I think and hope it stays, I don't see a reason for it to go anywhere.
As for the stickers....well, lets not go there today :eek:

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
To those that say there won't be an chip designation, I seriously doubt you are correct.

I cannot see Apple simply calling a PowerBook a PowerBook from now until the end of time. Currently if someone says "I have a PowerBook", there are quite a few models to choose from. The same applies to iMacs, PowerMacs, iBooks, etc.

There WILL be some sort of designation.

meh, maybe not. :D iMac P5 3.5GHz.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I wonder if the'll start out with a 1 (hypothetically speaking, if they decided to use a chip designation). 1 makes it sound 'old'. It always amused me how Netscape skipped from v4.x to v6, simply because it was 1 rev behind the (then) IE5.. Just to make Netscape Communicator sound like a newer product.

Yebot

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Paul O: The force is strong with you, Steve. Henceforth you will be known as Darth …

Steve J: Hold on there, Let’s get one thing straight. I’m not putting those God-awful stickers on my machines.

Paul O: So be it. Henceforth your new machine will be known as PowerBook X1. (X ~ x86)

Steve J: We’re already using X on our OS.

Paul O: Mmmmm, I can feel you anger. Henceforth your new machine will be known as PowerBook I1. (I ~ Intel)

Steve J: Hello?!? iMac? iBook? iPod? Played out …

Paul O: I have been waiting for this my little brushed-chrome friend. Henceforth your new machine will be known as PowerBook M1. (M ~ mobile, Pentium M)

Steve J: M1? Me likey! Mmmmm Hardware …

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.