PDA

View Full Version : New Samsung Ad Targets iPhone's Lack of Built-in Turn-by-Turn Directions

MacRumors
Jan 20, 2012, 01:41 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/20/new-samsung-ad-targets-iphones-lack-of-built-in-turn-by-turn-directions/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2011/06/samsung_logo-150x50.jpg

Samsung is continuing its string of Galaxy S II television ads (http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/23/samsung-mocks-iphone-fans-in-new-galaxy-s-ii-ad/) directly targeting the iPhone with a new commercial highlighting the iPhone's lack of built-in turn-by-turn directions. The ad contrasts that with the Galaxy S II (and other Android devices), where the functionality comes standard through Google's mapping services.

The new commercial uses the familiar scenario of devoted Apple fans waiting in line for the launch of a new iPhone that looks just like the previous model, only to encounter a passerby carrying a Galaxy S II.

vOSgfvTC35A
In the commercial, Samsung coins a new usage for the company's name, turning it into a verb to describe how the company has surpassed Apple's iPhone in features and functionality. In the words of one of the Apple fans depicted in the commercial upon learning about the Galaxy S II's turn-by-turn directions, "We just got Samsunged."

Article Link: New Samsung Ad Targets iPhone's Lack of Built-in Turn-by-Turn Directions (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/20/new-samsung-ad-targets-iphones-lack-of-built-in-turn-by-turn-directions/)

adamdodson
Jan 20, 2012, 01:45 PM
I need to take a massive Samsung.

Inakto
Jan 20, 2012, 01:45 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Starting to resemble those political attack ads we are all too familiar with...

AlexJaye
Jan 20, 2012, 01:47 PM
This is one area of the iPhone Apple could improve dramatically for users.

bad03xtreme
Jan 20, 2012, 01:49 PM
I wish the iPhone had better navigation services.

stridemat
Jan 20, 2012, 01:51 PM
It's coming to Apple, or Apple have wasted a sizeable amount of money.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395555,00.asp

tigres
Jan 20, 2012, 01:51 PM

Who gives a Samsung :D

Phil A.
Jan 20, 2012, 01:52 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Can't argue with that - android is definitely ahead on this one. Even though I have copilot for my iPhone, it lacks the OS level integration that you get from android's built in turn by turn navigation and it's something I'd like to see addressed in future iOS releases.
Of course, this isn't really a Samsung feature, but an android one...

richardsonrs
Jan 20, 2012, 01:53 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Cause it's so hard to install the free mapquest app and use it instead of google built in app.

soco
Jan 20, 2012, 01:53 PM
As much as I have a beef with Samsung over the copy/paste of Apple designs and ideas, and I won't even get into how hypocritical it is of Apple to sue over it, this is a great advertisement.

It's classic "We've got X, they don't." advertising and I respect it. Hit 'em where it hurts. Hopefully Apple responds with a nice 6.0 release. ;)

xFenixKnightx
Jan 20, 2012, 01:54 PM
I miss this so much about Android. =(

forty2j
Jan 20, 2012, 01:55 PM
My Samsung, this ad would be more believable if it had Gorillas speaking Chinese.

iScott428
Jan 20, 2012, 01:58 PM
I guess this is a problem if you don't understand general directions, orientation, or how to read a map. iOS maps has never failed me and Siri only makes it easier now. Samsung needs to stop trying to compare spec for spec, and take a look at the whole picture.

xFenixKnightx
Jan 20, 2012, 02:02 PM

Cause it's so hard to install the free mapquest app and use it instead of google built in app.

Mapquest is garbage and does not compare at all to Android Google Maps.

Phil A.
Jan 20, 2012, 02:03 PM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apart from the fact that it isn't available outside the USA, does it have the deep OS level integration you get with androids built in app?

Patmos
Jan 20, 2012, 02:06 PM
Waze is the best Navigation app for iOS. Still, android is the winner on this one unfortunately. iOS should have had this before now.:confused:

*LTD*
Jan 20, 2012, 02:06 PM
All Samsung is doing is affecting the customer base of other Android OEMs.

thekris1234
Jan 20, 2012, 02:07 PM
It's quite nice to see Samsung are scraping the bottom of the barrel when it comes to imagination. I guess their's only works once a year. They used it all on the phone, now they've got nothing left for the marketing.

blackburn
Jan 20, 2012, 02:09 PM
Google maps on my cheap ass android phone saved my day many times. And it's free! Even cheap nokias have turn by turn navigation. Apple should have it incorporated long ago. It's a very handy feature.

About samsung I don't give a samsung since every android phone has that.

paul4339
Jan 20, 2012, 02:10 PM
nice features, but notice no one ever jumps out of the line-up?

soco
Jan 20, 2012, 02:11 PM
Waze is the best Navigation app for iOS. Still, android is the winner on this one unfortunately. iOS should have had this before now.:confused:
It's nice to hear someone say that. I've been using Waze in conjunction with Navigon for a long time now and it's the perfect combination.

Waze's features for reporting and spotting police and other such activity is just amazing, but Navigon's reliability is second to none. Either way, Waze get's little chatter.

MaxReviewsTech
Jan 20, 2012, 02:14 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

This ad is pointless. The maps app could use improvement but it's not like I can't just go to the app store and buy a gps app for a couple bucks. Big deal.

paul4339
Jan 20, 2012, 02:16 PM
...Apple should have it incorporated long ago. It's a very handy feature...

Agree, this is my biggest complaint about the iPhone. Yes, i know Apple wants to re-think the problem and 'do it right', but it would be nice if they kept up (with this feature) in the meantime.

jmgregory1
Jan 20, 2012, 02:17 PM
Quite frankly, for the amount of times I use Motion X or Map-quest, I don't even put this on the list of things I'm waiting for Apple to improve upon. I use the built in google map almost daily, but I'll use it to learn the directions, then do what you're suppose to do while you drive - and that is pay attention to driving.

Samdung, like any of the other android powered phones out there, just have so little to sell their products on - there is a clear lack of product differentiation, even between competing handsets. If a non-Apple manufacturers want to steal away business from another non-Apple manufacturer, they're going to need to actually do something creative with the hardware itself. If they want to eat into Apple's customer base, they're going to need to be creative on the hardware, on the software and the whole eco-system (internal and external). Frankly, I don't see it happening. All non-Apple manufacturers will simply cater to the Apple hating crowd, regardless of whether their hardware is better or not. Apple haters will be haters regardless of what Apple does.

lilo777
Jan 20, 2012, 02:20 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

This ad is pointless. The maps app could use improvement but it's not like I can't just go to the app store and buy a gps app for a couple bucks. Big deal.

No, you can't buy that. Will your app be integrated with contacts? Will it be integrated with Google Street View (which shows you the picture of the intersection at the next turn on your route)?

Stella
Jan 20, 2012, 02:21 PM
Almost every smartphone OS now comes with on board navigation and is a glaring missing feature from iOS, IMO. It is convienient for the user to have a navigation app pre loaded ( rather than having to find one ), and adds value to the phone.

I'm sure Apple will bring a navigation app at some point, and supported with SIRI.

heisetax
Jan 20, 2012, 02:24 PM

Can't argue with that - android is definitely ahead on this one. Even though I have copilot for my iPhone, it lacks the OS level integration that you get from android's built in turn by turn navigation and it's something I'd like to see addressed in future iOS releases.
Of course, this isn't really a Samsung feature, but an android one...

But it comes on the Samsung units & still is not available on the iPhone units.

lilo777
Jan 20, 2012, 02:26 PM
Quite frankly, for the amount of times I use Motion X or Map-quest, I don't even put this on the list of things I'm waiting for Apple to improve upon. I use the built in google map almost daily, but I'll use it to learn the directions, then do what you're suppose to do while you drive - and that is pay attention to driving.

Samdung, like any of the other android powered phones out there, just have so little to sell their products on - there is a clear lack of product differentiation, even between competing handsets. If a non-Apple manufacturers want to steal away business from another non-Apple manufacturer, they're going to need to actually do something creative with the hardware itself. If they want to eat into Apple's customer base, they're going to need to be creative on the hardware, on the software and the whole eco-system (internal and external). Frankly, I don't see it happening. All non-Apple manufacturers will simply cater to the Apple hating crowd, regardless of whether their hardware is better or not. Apple haters will be haters regardless of what Apple does.

How come? Android phones have everything iPhone does and then some. Navigation is just one example. Then there are SD cards, OLED screens, replaceable batteries, file system, NFC, LTE etc. The only thing they don't have is the glass back but, trust me, no one misses that. and, BTW, did you know that Samsung sells more smart phones that Apple?

Eddloggg
Jan 20, 2012, 02:29 PM
I was drive a few days ago, had maps open, music playing through the aux input in my car stereo. I became scared as Siri started to give me turn by turn directions. May be a bug, but my phone does give turn by turn.

Laird Knox
Jan 20, 2012, 02:30 PM

Apart from the fact that it isn't available outside the USA, does it have the deep OS level integration you get with androids built in app?

How does the Android app have "deep OS level integration?"

akm3
How come? Android phones have everything iPhone does and then some. Navigation is just one example. Then there are SD cards, OLED screens, replaceable batteries, file system, NFC, LTE etc. The only thing they don't have is the glass back but, trust me, no one misses that. and, BTW, did you know that Samsung sells more smart phones that Apple?

I didn't know all android phones had all those features; Android IS pretty awesome!

Rodimus Prime

Will it come? Yes more than likely question is when? People have been saying next os for years now. Apple map app sucks and is way way behind. Apple has failed to update it time and time again.

I guess this is a problem if you don't understand general directions, orientation, or how to read a map. iOS maps has never failed me and Siri only makes it easier now. Samsung needs to stop trying to compare spec for spec, and take a look at the whole picture.
You know that reading a map and turn by turn are two different things. I can read a map just fine and before I start a trip I look over the map and directions but at the same time I can keep my eyes on the road and do not have to focus on reading multiple street signs and the directions. I use the voice part to "ding" me when I am close to the next turn and pay more attention there. Plus it is very helpful when I miss a turn.
It is one of those very nice features that the iPhone sorely is lacking.

blackburn
Jan 20, 2012, 02:31 PM
I was drive a few days ago, had maps open, music playing through the aux input in my car stereo. I became scared as Siri started to give me turn by turn directions. May be a bug, but my phone does give turn by turn.

You should only be scared if Siri was driving your car.

Patmos
Jan 20, 2012, 02:31 PM
It's nice to hear someone say that. I've been using Waze in conjunction with Navigon for a long time now and it's the perfect combination.

Waze's features for reporting and spotting police and other such activity is just amazing, but Navigon's reliability is second to none. Either way, Waze get's little chatter.

Good to know about Navigon. I will give it a try as well. And yes Waze should be huge but you're right, little chatter.

lilo777
Jan 20, 2012, 02:34 PM
I didn't know all android phones had all those features; Android IS pretty awesome!

One thing is for sure - not a single iPhone has those features.

rich67
Jan 20, 2012, 02:39 PM
There are actually many apps for that. I use the mapquest app. I like it because it lets me enter the address in free form or select it from one of my contacts. It tells me step by step directions and works really great, specially the last version.

spazzcat
Jan 20, 2012, 02:46 PM
No, you can't buy that. Will your app be integrated with contacts? Will it be integrated with Google Street View (which shows you the picture of the intersection at the next turn on your route)?

All my nav apps on iOS pull in my contacts.

----------

Almost every smartphone OS now comes with on board navigation and is a glaring missing feature from iOS, IMO. It is convienient for the user to have a navigation app pre loaded ( rather than having to find one ), and adds value to the phone.

I'm sure Apple will bring a navigation app at some point, and supported with SIRI.

It may bring value, but every nav app is different, and its nice to find the one that works best for me anyways.

Phil A.
Jan 20, 2012, 02:46 PM

How does the Android app have "deep OS level integration?"

Integration with contacts and calendars (navigate to meeting location) are two things that spring to mind.
If I'm walking to a meeting in London it is useful to have walking directions through the earphones and when I had an android phone it was incredibly useful and far better than copilot for that use.
It doesn't make android better than iOS overall for me, but that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge when android does something better than iOS and this is an example of that

forty2j
Jan 20, 2012, 02:56 PM
Then there are SD cards, OLED screens, replaceable batteries, file system, NFC, LTE etc.

I've highlighted the ones real users might care about right now. The rest are exciting for engineers and bothersome for everyone else.

Even then, LTE rollout is a work in progress, and LTE chipsets are buggy (especially in how they transition back and forth when entering/leaving LTE coverage). By the time iPhone 5 is ready to launch, both of those issues will be closer to resolution.

(A note on NFC: I like it. It has real potential. But it's got a bit of a chicken and egg problem right now, and a great many people with NFC on their phone wouldn't encounter a place where they could take advantage of it.

MCP-511
Jan 20, 2012, 02:57 PM
That feature is there so you can find the nearest Apple store with ease and get a real phone, not a knock-off.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 20, 2012, 02:59 PM

True but something Apple needs to do is make some fundimental changes to its "system apps"
For example the map app does not belong as something that only gets updated at OS updates. It should be something they throw in the App store and can update it that way.
This is a huge reason why on Android not having the "latest" OS is not as big of a deal as it is to iOS. Most Android System apps can and are updated seperatly from the OS and the Android Marketplace handles the updates.

For example Google Maps and Nav need and get an update Google puts it the update in the Marketplace and its gets pushed to all the devices. No need to wait for the manufacture to get it done and no need to wait for a entire OS update for bug fixes.
This is something Apple should do as very few of its stock Apps even belong as something that could not be pushed to the App store to handle all updates for those apps.

BC2009
Jan 20, 2012, 02:59 PM

Certainly integrated with contacts. It won't have street view. It will have some features Google's does not though. There was an article run a while back about how the premium turn-by-turn GPS apps were slow to go to Android because Google provides something "good enough" out of the box -- hence less opportunity to make money.

Apple will soon provide something "out of the box" too if acquisitions are any indication (and will likely leap-frog Google like they usually do). This is one of those places you have to wait for Apple to do it "just the way they want" and use third-party apps in the mean time. Kinda sucks for iOS users if you want basic GPS turn-by-turn for free. Keep in mind that Google's requires an internet connection, whereas most iOS apps have a full maps download and don't use your data plan and work when you are camping on obscure mountain roads where the carriers lack coverage.

Sardonick007
Jan 20, 2012, 03:00 PM
At least this commercial is funnier than the original ones they aired. Lack of TbT Nav is a minus for me. Then again, the rest of the phone is a + and I'm sure they'll cave to the desire for nav in the future. Still, "we just got samsunged" is pretty funny. Wonder if they say we got got iOwned when they lose a lawsuit.

*but why was the dude navigating to an Apple store?

aristotle
Jan 20, 2012, 03:01 PM
Why would I want my contacts integrated with my GPS app? So my contacts can stalk me? So google can stalk me better?

Sorry, but I find the whole concept of Latitude to be super creepy.

Laird Knox
Jan 20, 2012, 03:03 PM
Integration with contacts and calendars (navigate to meeting location) are two things that spring to mind.
Yeah that makes sense. I've never had an issue with the maps but it would definitely be more convenient. I've rarely used the phone for GPS so that's why I am unfamiliar with the options. Not terribly difficult to implement so I don't know why they haven't.

My biggest pet peeve with the maps is that you can't use maps.google.com in Safari without it opening up the mapping app. Typically I'm looking for more than just a route as that is what I have my Garmin for.

If I'm walking to a meeting in London it is useful to have walking directions through the earphones and when I had an android phone it was incredibly useful and far better than copilot for that use.
I wouldn't call using headphones "deep OS integration" though. ;)

It doesn't make android better than iOS overall for me, but that doesn't mean I can't acknowledge when android does something better than iOS and this is an example of that
And that is why I asked. I didn't know what you were implying as I've never used a phone in that way.

ChazUK
Jan 20, 2012, 03:06 PM
Why would I want my contacts integrated with my GPS app?
Is this a trick question? :confused:
Because you can store people's addresses with the contacts.

For example, I say "Navigate to [wifes name]" - The phone knows where she lives from her contact info and navigates me there.

This works with any contact that I have their home address stored. It has nothing to do with Latitude.

Phil A.
Jan 20, 2012, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't call using headphones "deep OS integration" though. ;)

That bit wasn't ;)

Fraaaa
Jan 20, 2012, 03:11 PM
What happened to this (http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/14/telenav-launches-browser-based-turn-by-turn-gps-navigation-using/)?

abs9986
Jan 20, 2012, 03:12 PM
Ok, here it goes...

I absolutely love my iPhone (it is in almost every way better than my old android) but as mentioned, the navigation is not even close.

I have tried Waze, Motionxgps and map quest and honestly hate all of these apps. Motionx has the best UI, but I believe that all 3 of these apps get directions from the same place and use the same service. Here's what I mean, I find that each of these apps extremely slow to reroute (I will will literally be driving 30seconds before the gps re-rerouts me. The gps does not seem accurate at all in any of these apps and often keeps me on my continued path even though I have diverged from it. Just overall terrible. And the UI on all 3 absolutely sucks

The maps app on the iPhone which uses Google maps is actually extremely accurate. It tracks my motion incredibly smooth and instantly updates where I am. This leads me to believe that the GPS hardware is just fine in the iPhone. Of course the maps app does not do turn by turn so I find it pretty much useless - but it is really good if I am say walking around NYC.

Naviagation is the one thing I miss about android and despite what people say, I believe it is a very important aspect of a smartphone. I hope apple updates with something soon - or if anyone has any other gps recommendations let know - but again (the 3 I have tried have terrible UI, give bad directions, take forever to reroute and are not smooth at all in updating my location status)

quantumbyte
Jan 20, 2012, 03:19 PM
I'm in Austin... that Apple store is not. I guess Samsung's navigation was a little lost after all. :D

lilo777
Jan 20, 2012, 03:21 PM
All my nav apps on iOS pull in my contacts.

But can you start navigation from the contact list?

nagromme
Jan 20, 2012, 03:24 PM
I’ll take Navigon any day! $15-$25, and far better than any Android-style (cell-coverage-dependent) driving directions. Yet it also has Google search built in, for the best of both worlds.

MonkeySee....
Jan 20, 2012, 03:28 PM
Not that anybody cares what I think but these jibes are quite annoying. I was al set to buy a Samsung smart tv but these ads have made me lose a lot of respect for them.

Idiots

rman726
Jan 20, 2012, 03:30 PM
I don't really care that much. I paid like $35 two years ago for the TomTom app, and it's still going strong. I honestly find Google Navigation to be a very basic turn-by-turn app. There are a lot of basic features that I find missing in it, like your current speed, the speed limit, the time of arrival, lane change assistance (extremely useful when driving through places like NYC), auto-zoom at your turns, and several more very useful features. I haven't used Google Navigation in a good 6+ months, so I don't know if they've added some of those. Are those features dealbreakers? No, but they are definitely very nice to haves. But in general, I find TomTom to be full of quality features, to be very easy to understand, and it always gets me where I want to go.

This isn't to say that Google Navigation is bad. It gets you to where you want to go, and it does it pretty well. And of course it's free and comes pre-installed. But I definitely don't feel like I'm missing out too much, since honestly $35 was not that big of a deal to me.

On a side note to some people complaining about some of the lower-end GPS apps not being that good. All I can say is: You get what you pay for. If you are paying $0 - $2.99, you are getting what you paid for. I would highly recommend just dishing out the money for Navigon or TomTom. They are quality apps that are updated often and get the job done very well. Hell, just go on Appshopper and flag them and wait for an email about one of them going on sale. You won't regret it.

SkippyThorson
Jan 20, 2012, 03:31 PM

This comment almost put me in tears! :D:p

As far as the commercial goes, clever, but the making fun of Apple fans in line thing has been old for years. Just my two cents.

I'd also like to say that this ad was a huge piece of Samsung.

(I can see these jokes taking off more than the ad campaign.)

jettredmont
Jan 20, 2012, 03:33 PM
I wish the iPhone had better navigation services.

Wait. I buy a $5 app and pay $10/year for voice nav with my iPhone. My neighbor with Android gets a voice nav app for free but pays $5/month for voice nav.

And buying the navigation app on the iPhone is a problem?!?

Sheesh. Talk about penny-wise. The costs even out in the third frickin' month, and after that the iPhone approach is cheaper!

Consultant
Jan 20, 2012, 03:36 PM
I've been using the free Mapquest app for voice turn by turn navigation on iPhone for years.

Google maps on my cheap ass android phone saved my day many times. And it's free! Even cheap nokias have turn by turn navigation. Apple should have it incorporated long ago. It's a very handy feature.

About samsung I don't give a samsung since every android phone has that.

It's because Google won't let other companies (such as Apple) use Google Maps for navigation.

elee
Jan 20, 2012, 03:39 PM
I like android's built-in navigation. Something I truly wanted iPhone maps to incorporate already but never will, so we'll have to wait for apple's own map services.

But 'being Samsunged?'. Give me a break. The first time I heard it in that ad I thought of what just happened with galaxy S, that its ICS upgrade being pulled back. 'Is he talking about OS upgrade being cancelled? No wait, this is samsung ad so it can't be...'

Samsung is known for this behavior and customers buy phones with the promise of OS upgrade only to get shrugging shoulder gesture later. So many samsung android phone buyers have been 'samsunged' already so I wouldn't want a phone that will likely samsung me.

drakino
Jan 20, 2012, 03:44 PM
I find this a bit amusing, considering a Samsung Captivate was my attempt to try Android, and the GPS didn't work. Kinda made Google Navigate a bit worthless. And in the end, it didn't work because Google was being evil, and Samsung shipped the phone with no AGPS subsystem. No one was honest about the situation at the time, so the phone went back out of frustration.

(See the Skyhook vs Google lawsuit for the details)

dukebound85
Jan 20, 2012, 03:45 PM

just buy a gps app

problem solved

iScott428
Jan 20, 2012, 03:46 PM
You know that reading a map and turn by turn are two different things. I can read a map just fine and before I start a trip I look over the map and directions but at the same time I can keep my eyes on the road and do not have to focus on reading multiple street signs and the directions. I use the voice part to "ding" me when I am close to the next turn and pay more attention there. Plus it is very helpful when I miss a turn.
It is one of those very nice features that the iPhone sorely is lacking.

Yes I can see your point if we were only talking about really long drives where your traveling a great distance and cant remember the entire route, then yes turn by turn navi is great, but again not at all a selling point. The fact that the iOS maps app locates me is enough, then (if you have an iPhone 3g or newer) it can tell you which direction your facing.

Judas1
Jan 20, 2012, 03:50 PM
Samsunged: past tense. Having reality slap you in the face.:D

danahn17
Jan 20, 2012, 03:56 PM
*but why was the dude navigating to an Apple store?
It looked like he went to give his friend (at the Apple store) his phone charger.

But 'being Samsunged?'. Give me a break. The first time I heard it in that ad I thought of what just happened with galaxy S, that its ICS upgrade being pulled back. 'Is he talking about OS upgrade being cancelled? No wait, this is samsung ad so it can't be...'
I just took it to be as reference to being "Tebowed"

jettredmont
Jan 20, 2012, 04:21 PM

Waze looks interesting. Not as nice as MotionX, but seems like a good free substitute on par with Google's free service.

----------

Ummm ... yes, and yes?

DougFNJ
Jan 20, 2012, 04:28 PM
I gave the Samsung iFascinate (Did I put an i in front of that? ;) ) a try when it had just come out. I remember I got decent battery life out of it, the screen was really nice, BUT I could not get GPS to lock on, if I did it took at least minutes for it to lock on. Navigation is good if you could use it. I also got horrible Wifi reception. I also remember a bug where I had to make sure to specifically tap Google on setting Calendar appointment, I could not remove Phone from Default so my Calendars were never backed up. Badly needed updates took forever, Samsung is great for TV's, but they still need a lot of work in the Smartphone area.

One thing I did love about my Droid Devices though was the included Navigation. I love my iPhone, I downloaded Navigon which is a thousand times better just for the aspect of not needing a network connection makes it worth the money. But let not be getting fanboyish here and act like the standalone mapping is sufficient please. Yes it will be addressed obviously, but as it stands now that is the one area iPhone sits behind on.

jettredmont
Jan 20, 2012, 04:36 PM
Is this a trick question? :confused:
Because you can store people's addresses with the contacts.

Well, duh. But if that's the only integration, I have yet to see a TBT nav app in iOS which doesn't have this. Well, Waze doesn't seem to, but it's a little different.

For example, I say "Navigate to [wifes name]" - The phone knows where she lives from her contact info and navigates me there.

This works with any contact that I have their home address stored. It has nothing to do with Latitude.

That is system integration. Not with contacts, but with the voice command software. I think Siri will bring up directions in the normal system Maps app for a contact, but none of the third-party apps can be used for that so far as I can tell.

So, point there for Android, but not for Contacts integration: for voice control integration. That having been said, I haven't had a need to use voice control to start up TbT nav yet. I'm stopped before I start going and can push the five buttons it takes to open the app, select the contact, and start navigating.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 20, 2012, 05:04 PM
Yes I can see your point if we were only talking about really long drives where your traveling a great distance and cant remember the entire route, then yes turn by turn navi is great, but again not at all a selling point. The fact that the iOS maps app locates me is enough, then (if you have an iPhone 3g or newer) it can tell you which direction your facing.

If you want another useful example I was with some friends and meet up location changed pretty quickly while on route. I was able to tell my phone the new location by voice as well and while on route it handled all of it and had me direction. A single stop light was all it took me to verify that it was the choosing the correct location.

That and GPS navigation is quicker. As soon as you cross say 2-3 turns in unfimiluar area the GPS really takes over. Plus do not forget about the correction when the miss turn does happen.

I find it funny every single time someone uses the "read a map" argument which tells me they are jealous.

Now comparing Google Voice GPS to say my garmine stand alone unit the garmin is by far a better GPS navigator but then again those are bit more costly and as such I expect them to be better but then again I hardly use it enough more as it is not as much better compared to my phone. Mind you using GPS navigation on a phone is a huge battery killer and would be as well on say the iPhone.

jettredmont
Jan 20, 2012, 05:05 PM
Ok, here it goes...

I absolutely love my iPhone (it is in almost every way better than my old android) but as mentioned, the navigation is not even close.

I have tried Waze, Motionxgps and map quest and honestly hate all of these apps. Motionx has the best UI, but I believe that all 3 of these apps get directions from the same place and use the same service.

I can't speak for MapQuest, but Waze is user-generated maps, and MotionX GPS uses Bing for searches and OpenStreetMap for the maps (I believe).

IMHO, Google's search for things like fast food places is superior to Bing's (Bing sent us to the end of a residential culdesac when we searched for a Baskin Robbins coming back from Pinnacles National Monument ...) but generally they are close enough.

Waze uses its own map database, I believe, culled from GPS coords as people actually drive on roads. Seems like an interesting idea, although the folks up in a tizzy about Apple maybe being able to track where you have been based on a history of cell tower strengths are probably not going to be able to stomach that. Waze allows you to search from a number of different search engines.

Here's what I mean, I find that each of these apps extremely slow to reroute (I will will literally be driving 30seconds before the gps re-rerouts me. The gps does not seem accurate at all in any of these apps and often keeps me on my continued path even though I have diverged from it. Just overall terrible.

That's just the opposite of my experience with MotionX and (very limited) Waze. MotionX would reroute me a second after I left the route, far earlier than my standalone $600-in-its-day Garmin GPS. And yet, it doesn't get confused as much when I leave the road and head into a parking lot.

On my single drive with Waze it seemed less touchy than MotionX as far as leaving the route, and got confused a bit when I was in a parking lot (kept switching between showing me in the middle of the parking lot and on the nearest road).

GPS accuracy is all about the phone, not the app. If you are having GPS accuracy issues, it is most likely interference with how you are holding the phone and/or where it is located in your car not letting it "see" a good number of GPS satellites.

And the UI on all 3 absolutely sucks

Well, it's a matter of opinion. I don't mind the MotionX UI, although it's a bit garish. Still, the core needs for a TbT nav app are a good view of the road around me, and good vocalization of where I need to turn next. The rest of the UI is superfluous the majority of the time (just when I'm setting up a new nav, etc).

The maps app on the iPhone which uses Google maps is actually extremely accurate. It tracks my motion incredibly smooth and instantly updates where I am. This leads me to believe that the GPS hardware is just fine in the iPhone. Of course the maps app does not do turn by turn so I find it pretty much useless - but it is really good if I am say walking around NYC.

Same here, but MotionX and Waze are just as fluid and accurate for me. Something is definitely wrong with your setup; the system Maps app uses the same location API as the other apps. Maybe it's a phone speed issue; are you using an iPhone 3 or 3gs, or a 4/4s?

Naviagation is the one thing I miss about android and despite what people say, I believe it is a very important aspect of a smartphone. I hope apple updates with something soon - or if anyone has any other gps recommendations let know - but again (the 3 I have tried have terrible UI, give bad directions, take forever to reroute and are not smooth at all in updating my location status)

I don't see TbT as critical, but I'm not a road warrior heading off to unfamiliar territory constantly either. I suppose for a segment of the population it is really important, and to the rest of us a "nice to have". I'd love to see Apple's take on TbT directions, but I just haven't been disappointed with what is out there now. It's lacking Apple's fine polish, but I'd say the same of the Google TbT app for Android (based on rather limited use, granted).

duffman9000
Jan 20, 2012, 06:00 PM

Apple has already purchased most, if not all, the right companies to make this happen.

Until then, Apple should go on the offensive. Apple should post a video of a Samsung Galaxy Nexus randomly rebooting.

----------

Everything? Even timely updates across alls phones?

Rodimus Prime
Jan 20, 2012, 06:00 PM
Apple has already purchased most, if not all, the right companies to make this happen.

Until then, Apple should go on the offensive. Apple should post a video of a Samsung Galaxy Nexus randomly rebooting.

and Samsung could post video of the iPhone doing that as well.

Apple doing that would be opening up the same can of worms that they did during Antena gate doing bogus test to try to take the blame off them.
None of the other manufactures said anything until Apple tried to drag them into the mess Apple created with a massive design flaw.

duffman9000
Jan 20, 2012, 06:14 PM
and Samsung could post video of the iPhone doing that as well.

Apple doing that would be opening up the same can of worms that they did during Antena gate doing bogus test to try to take the blame off them.
None of the other manufactures said anything until Apple tried to drag them into the mess Apple created with a massive design flaw.

Apple should whip out a iPhone 3GS and compare the smooth interface with recent Android phones not running Android 4.0, i.e., most Android phones.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 20, 2012, 06:17 PM
Apple should whip out a iPhone 3GS and compare the smooth interface with recent Android phones not running Android 4.0, i.e., most Android phones.

points back to previous post. I also know they could do the same as well.

Apple would be setting itself up to get nailed on the same BS yet again. Not valid one. Also GS2 does not exactly hang nor do most of Android phones out today as low end Android phone now has the horse power of a iPhone4 to yes even the 4S.

duffman9000
Jan 20, 2012, 06:25 PM
points back to previous post. I also know they could do the same as well.

Apple would be setting itself up to get nailed on the same BS yet again. Not valid one. Also GS2 does not exactly hang nor do most of Android phones out today as low end Android phone now has the horse power of a iPhone4 to yes even the 4S.

Who mentioned the SG2 hanging? I specifically mentioned the Galaxy Nexus' reboot problem. Google has acknowledged the problem and will issue a fix soon. It's still funny.

My friends Bionic chugs along just navigating the home screen. Yeah, I'm sure that phone has the horsepower of an iPhone 4. What about the software?

And comparing the horsepower of an iPhone 4S, you do realize that the GPU in the iP4S has ridiculous performance numbers?

Cod3rror
Jan 20, 2012, 06:30 PM

I like Apple but Samsung does have point here iOS needs a good built in GPS navigation.

Hopefully with iOS 6 they will deliver.

duffman9000
Jan 20, 2012, 06:33 PM

I like Apple but Samsung does have point here iOS needs a good built in GPS navigation.

Hopefully with iOS 6 they will deliver.

Yeah it does. iOS 5.1 this spring probably won't have it. I hope iOS 6 in the fall will.

Slurpy2k8
Jan 20, 2012, 06:41 PM
Am I the only one that prefers the iPhone map app for navigation, even compared to the dedicated nav apps? It's smoother than all of them, and easier to manipulate the map zoom, etc. The turn list combined with your real time location and clear map is more than enough info for me and has never let me down. I would never blindly rely on voice alone anyway. I need to see my entire route ahead of time. For those than need on device maps, there's a ton of options in the appstore. Google maps for android doesnt save maps on the device anyway (it caches some), you still need internet access for reliability. I have a Nexus S and an iPhone4, and have used both extensively. Yes, Android version IS a bit better, but is not something I would base a purchasing decision on.

That being said, it's pretty much a guarantee than iOS6 will have built in nav, and no doubt will be a better and slicker implementation than anyone else. It's pretty much the last LOL iOS DOESNT HAVE X bullet point.

Cod3rror
Jan 20, 2012, 07:42 PM

...Apple should have it incorporated long ago. It's a very handy feature...

Agree, this is my biggest complaint about the iPhone. Yes, i know Apple wants to re-think the problem and 'do it right', but it would be nice if they kept up (with this feature) in the meantime.

Yes, just like they "rethought" and "did it right" with notifications and just went ahead and copied Android.

michaelsviews
Jan 20, 2012, 08:30 PM
Waiting to see this when it comes out, Apple or Samsung there both outstanding companies and everyone has there opinion's of either one.

Maybe with the next release of the iPhone they'll use a bigger screen, for me thats the deal breaker along with battery life, but then again the battery life on my 4S is less than desirable

cowcaster88
Jan 20, 2012, 08:43 PM

There are third party Apps on iOS which give the turn-by-turn directions; Wazes (free). While its built in Android it doesn't make it that much better.

katanna
Jan 20, 2012, 08:46 PM
Meh. Buy one on the app store. There are LOTS of great ones out there.

It really irks me when people say "Don't buy an iPhone because to get this one specific use you have to buy an app." So? Why not just have the iPhone come with a built in tip calculator and a default fart app? Some things are better done by third parties.

BTW, remember that the iPhone DOES have turn-by-turn GPS navigation, you just have to push "next" after you make the turn. (Yes, I agree that it is annoying, my point is that it is not worth buying a different phone because of it.)

Sorry if this post rambles, there is just SO much wrong with this ad that it is hard to make it all flow smoothly!

Matthew

Saladinos
Jan 20, 2012, 09:29 PM
I saw this and thought "wow, a positive ad campaign from Samsung; just highlighting why their product's great and bringing some Apple-style class to the table?"

Then I clicked through. Same old Samsung. Wouldn't know class if their chairman had to ask it for another presidential pardon.

forcenine
Jan 20, 2012, 09:35 PM

Who needs SD cards when you have 64GB built in?
Who needs OLED when you have at the best display in town, still?
Who needs replaceable batteries? Oh, that's right, people with LTE phones or Samesungs.
File system = jailbreak. NFC = bluetooth 4 has more functionality currently.

The only things the SG2 doesn't have are: better screen, bigger capacity, much much better camera, BT4, pentaband "world phone", polish (still no ICS), dual-core GPU, etc., no lag, etc. Not even a fair competition.

Samesung might sell more phones in general, but look at the top 3 smartphones being sold: 4S, 4, 3GS. That says something. It's also telling that Samesung is the 4th, as it shows Jonny Ive clearly designs for both companies.

I'd like to coin the term Samesung, as in, "Wow, looks like an iPhone! You got Samesunged.

MacMojo1
Jan 21, 2012, 12:53 AM
Navigon

hvfsl
Jan 21, 2012, 04:27 AM
As others are saying this is a completely stupid comparison since there are free navigation apps for iPhone and there are also much better paid navigation apps than are available for Android (e.g. TomTom). Many networks even give you a navigation app when you sign up with them. Plus Nokia's OviMaps (on WM7) is better.

Google navigation does have it's good points and might use it every now and then if it ever came to iOS, but it is not enough of an advantage to be shouting about.

And this whole thing does bring up another point, Google make money off advertising, they don't directly make much money selling Android. Android is just a portal to use their services. Yet to make sure Android has some things iOS doesn't, they probably won't ever release Google Navigation for other platforms. Which is all well and good, but if Google aren't careful they could take their eye off the ball and start locking other services to their platforms, which of course limits how many can use them and how much money they make from them.

marksman
Jan 21, 2012, 05:50 AM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Samsung needs new internal and external marketing people.

jmgregory1
Jan 21, 2012, 06:57 AM

Keep in mind that without the iPhone as the starting point, Samsung would not be chasing after the iPhone. And your examples of things they offer may be considered by YOU as beneficial things, but I (and a lot of other people) could care less about SD card readers - I transfer things wirelessly, OLED screens - which count on over saturated colors to make them seem more "vibrant", but in reality make it hard to look at and they don't have the crisp resolution that Apple has perfected, replaceable batteries - so I can lose the back battery plate after the 5th time replacing the battery which is great..., and file system - have you not figured out that it's time to move forward with computing and not dwell on trying to access or even use, for that matter, the phone's file system.

You're clearly in a camp that will never give Apple credit (where it's due) and simply hold on to how it's been and "supposed to be" with computers and smartphones. Have fun living in 1995. When Samdung or any other phone manufacturer comes out with a phone or tablet for that matter that revolutionizes how we see and work with the smartphone and/or tablet, I'll be the first to give credit where it's due. I just don't see that happening, of course. It's criminal how these other companies really just seem to be waiting for Apple to release their next "thing" so they can rush to copy it. I bet the Android team crapped their pants when they saw the release of iBooks 2 and how Apple will own the education market now too. $5 says we will start to see Samdung, HTC, Moto, Amazon ads touting how their tabs have book readers too. Lame sauce.

dukeblue91
Jan 21, 2012, 09:30 AM
I don't see the big deal, both my cars have GPS build in.
And a dedicated unit is not expensive and has way more features.
But to each their own I guess.

cdmoore74
Jan 21, 2012, 10:08 AM
Google maps on Android is just awesome. I was recently caught in 2 snow storms and it accurately knew my eta with snow and traffic. When I changed my route the time adjusted accordingly. It must be polling other Google map users. I saved at least 30 minutes last night on the route that I took.
And Google maps is very integrated with your contacts and searches. This is the one glaring problem with iOS. I love a dedicated gps solution but I love Google's approach even better.
Apple has enough money to buy Garmin and Google 20 times over but their too busy suing competitors and banking on their fanboy base. Gosh, it's been 2 years since Google maps with turn by turn was released on the original droid and Apple still does not have a solution. This commercial serves them right.

kdarling
Jan 21, 2012, 10:40 AM
I don't see the big deal, both my cars have GPS build in.
And a dedicated unit is not expensive and has way more features.
But to each their own I guess.

I actually use my cars GPS units much less often now, unless we're going to an already saved location. (*)

With an Android phone, you just tap and say "nearest coffee" and it gives you directions... and you can choose if you want directions by car or walking. There's no way to describe how convenient it is.

Plus Google stays up to date without having to buy and install new maps, which I bet very few people do with dedicated GPS units.

(*) Some might ask, why would you need a GPS in that case? If you traveled in the incredibly mixed up roads Northeast, you wouldn't ask that question: we use the GPS in case we hit an accident or traffic, and need to take unfamiliar side roads in a hurry. And if we didn't have the car GPS on, it's super easy to just ask the phone for directions and immediately get them by voice.

The DRis
Jan 21, 2012, 11:59 AM
Voice guided, turn by turn directions are for idiots (AKA Android users). I don't need turn by turn. I look at the freaking map and know how to get there. Maybe I just have a better sense of direction than most. But I could care less about turn by turn. Seriously.

batchtaster
Jan 21, 2012, 01:30 PM
That's... oddly specific and selective. It must mean the iPhone is completely useless.

Perhaps Apple needs to make an ad targeting Samsung's lack of a "Designed in California" message on their phones.

jonnysods
Jan 21, 2012, 03:56 PM

I don't care for the phones, but it's interesting to hear people squawking over Samsungs tactics in this ad - has e everyone forgotten the I'm a PC/Mac commercials? Super lame.

backinblack875
Jan 21, 2012, 05:35 PM

Yes, just like they "rethought" and "did it right" with notifications and just went ahead and copied Android.

actually they hired the guy who made it in the jailbreak community. nothing to do with android

tbrinkma
Jan 21, 2012, 06:30 PM
One thing is for sure - not a single iPhone has those features.

Wait. You actually think the iPhone doesn't have a file system just because it doesn't have to be exposed to the user? :eek:

Tsuchiya
Jan 21, 2012, 07:09 PM
I like the adverts...

I think they make a compelling argument. A lot of people will buy the next iPhone regardless of it's shortfalls (a camp to which I admit belonging to). Not saying there is anything wrong with iPhones (obviously considering that I own one :p), but there are alternatives out there that shouldn't be ruled out (note to self...).

No doubt people will jump on me and say that they have tried it etc and it didn't work out for them, fine...but honestly how many people would be perfectly happy (if not more so), if they gave the S2 a shot?

Keep it up Samsung and maybe you'll pry me away from the iPhone :cool:

Rodimus Prime
Jan 21, 2012, 08:07 PM
Voice guided, turn by turn directions are for idiots (AKA Android users). I don't need turn by turn. I look at the freaking map and know how to get there. Maybe I just have a better sense of direction than most. But I could care less about turn by turn. Seriously.

I suggest you read what I wrote earlier in this tread, since you clearly passed it over I nicely quoted it for you in this thread. It kind of kills your argument. Top it off you go insulting and proving my point.

People who use voice guided with out generally looking over the direction is the incorrect way to use GPS. Better way is to use get the direction look it over and then let the voice to help alert you when upcoming turns are and for it to readjust for when you miss a turn/exit. On top of that it is safer because it lets you keep your eyes and mind on the road instead of trying to read the direction and figure out when your next turn is.

If you want another useful example I was with some friends and meet up location changed pretty quickly while on route. I was able to tell my phone the new location by voice as well and while on route it handled all of it and had me direction. A single stop light was all it took me to verify that it was the choosing the correct location.

That and GPS navigation is quicker. As soon as you cross say 2-3 turns in unfimiluar area the GPS really takes over. Plus do not forget about the correction when the miss turn does happen.

I find it funny every single time someone uses the "read a map" argument which tells me they are jealous.

Slurpy2k8
Jan 21, 2012, 09:34 PM
I love how Samsung centers an ad not only on something so meaningless in the big picture, but also on something that they can't take any credit for. Samsung has nothing to do with Google navigation, the company didn't put a second of time or a dollar of money into creating that. 'Hey, buy our phone cause it contains a feature from an OS that we had nothing to do with!'. Google navigation would still be there on a billion other phones if Samsung didn't exist.

Now people might try to make an analogy with Apple advertising 3rd party apps in their commercials- which would be completely false, namely because:

1. Apple created the appstore, and the entire distribution mechanism.
2. Most of the apps it advertises are EXCLUSIVE to the appstore, iOS, and the iPhone. They are apps no other phones have, and most likely would not have come into being without Apple.

Well done Samsung. Maybe next time you can spend millions of dollars advertising something which you at least had SOMETHING to do with, not a random feature on an OS not created by you, available on every other android phone out there.

Todd H
Jan 21, 2012, 10:51 PM
Navigon

Winner.

ChristianJapan
Jan 22, 2012, 12:25 AM
"We just got Samsunged."

Remind me to few years ago my company replaced all ThinkPads with Dell Laptops. It become a common saying " don't work. I'm DELLed.". Lucky now we are back to Lenovo.

Overall I like the ad. This little bit of teasing is fine and funny. Though it will not make me jump the ship.

bassfingers
Jan 22, 2012, 12:31 AM

Id wait in line for a third phone that looks like the iPhone 4. It'd still be the best

Savor
Jan 22, 2012, 01:15 AM
LOL. So many fanboys.

Best comment from that video -

they're just phones
half of you probably don't even have friends to contact on them.

It is true, they are JUST phones. But people treat them like religion and get offended for being DISSED when Apple did the same thing to their competition and to Windows PC folks for years.

maconservative
Jan 22, 2012, 03:55 AM
Nice try Samsung....

I prefer the in-dash Navigation in my vehicle.

forty2j
Jan 22, 2012, 07:33 AM
LOL. So many fanboys.

Best comment from that video -

they're just phones
half of you probably don't even have friends to contact on them.

It is true, they are JUST phones. But people treat them like religion and get offended for being DISSED when Apple did the same thing to their competition and to Windows PC folks for years.

The phone feature is by far the least used application of my iPhone. It's a pocket networked computer first, text communicator second, phone third.

Gemütlichkeit
Jan 22, 2012, 12:55 PM
It's just funny to me the polar differences between the current apple ads vs rival companies.

Attack attack attack!

KTF
Jan 22, 2012, 01:14 PM
Ahhh Ohhhh. Why you so obsessed with me?

nick_elt
Jan 22, 2012, 02:01 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Google maps on Android is just awesome. I was recently caught in 2 snow storms and it accurately knew my eta with snow and traffic. When I changed my route the time adjusted accordingly. It must be polling other Google map users. I saved at least 30 minutes last night on the route that I took.
And Google maps is very integrated with your contacts and searches. This is the one glaring problem with iOS. I love a dedicated gps solution but I love Google's approach even better.
Apple has enough money to buy Garmin and Google 20 times over but their too busy suing competitors and banking on their fanboy base. Gosh, it's been 2 years since Google maps with turn by turn was released on the original droid and Apple still does not have a solution. This commercial serves them right.

Apple does not have enough cash to buy google, let alone 20x over

deanbar
Jan 22, 2012, 06:32 PM

Agreed. For a free app, Waze gets me to many destinations some of my paid navigation apps don't have, although, like many other nav apps, it sometimes tries to take you via a weird route. Still one of the best tho'.

Apple bought a couple of companies recently that are into mapping, and I guess it's just a matter of time before they offer one. Wish they would hurry this up.

----------

the phone feature is by far the least used application of my iphone. It's a pocket networked computer first, text communicator second, phone third.

+1

AlexJaye
Jan 22, 2012, 06:42 PM
just buy a gps app

problem solved

Really? Android's built in navigation is better than any you can buy on the App Store. I've looked at them and have used Android's navigation on an HTC. And it's free, not $50. I love my iPhone but it's lacking in navigation.

Spock
Jan 22, 2012, 10:06 PM
I have not read all five pages of comments so this may have already been said but I had a Samsung Vibrant (Galaxy S) and sure it had great turn by turn navigation when the GPS would work, it never worked and it was a known problem with all the Vibrants and i don't think it was ever fixed, even when I installed Cyanogen 7 it didn't work.

Oletros
Jan 23, 2012, 12:18 AM
Really? Android's built in navigation is better than any you can buy on the App Store.

Mmmmm, no, a lot of GPS apps are a lot better than Google Navigation, that is a basic navigation app.

Not talking about using Google Navigation outside of your own country. Tomtom, Navigon, etc doesn't need data to worl, Google Navigation needs it

Ciclismo
Jan 23, 2012, 03:47 AM

I thought the point of turn-by-turn navigation was so you didn't have to take your eyes off the road which made driving safer, but now you are telling me that staring at the phone's screen to see a picture of an intersection is a feature to be proud of? I'd hate to be the car, cyclist or pedestrian in front of you :eek:

garybUK
Jan 23, 2012, 04:32 AM
Really? Android's built in navigation is better than any you can buy on the App Store. I've looked at them and have used Android's navigation on an HTC. And it's free, not $50. I love my iPhone but it's lacking in navigation.

Android's navigation certainly isn't free when your using it whilst roaming (I drive from the UK to Germany every fortnight), imagine how much that would cost me in data charges! :eek: Nokia's navigation was the best... bar none!... TomTom on my iPhone 4S is extremely fast (faster than most standalone unit's) and has all my European maps downloaded for offline use! :D

Stridder44
Jan 23, 2012, 04:34 AM

Ok, here it goes...

I have tried Waze, Motionxgps and map quest and honestly hate all of these apps. Motionx has the best UI, but I believe that all 3 of these apps get directions from the same place and use the same service. Here's what I mean, I find that each of these apps extremely slow to reroute (I will will literally be driving 30seconds before the gps re-rerouts me. The gps does not seem accurate at all in any of these apps and often keeps me on my continued path even though I have diverged from it. Just overall terrible. And the UI on all 3 absolutely sucks

Couldn't agree more. There really is no excuse for it, I don't care how many of you out there think the current default map app works, the bottom line is that it should have had turn by turn with voice a long time ago. It isn't rocket science.

reefoid
Jan 23, 2012, 05:55 AM
Android's navigation certainly isn't free when your using it whilst roaming (I drive from the UK to Germany every fortnight), imagine how much that would cost me in data charges! :eek: Nokia's navigation was the best... bar none!... TomTom on my iPhone 4S is extremely fast (faster than most standalone unit's) and has all my European maps downloaded for offline use! :D

You can download maps on Android for offline use as well.

Oletros
Jan 23, 2012, 06:02 AM
You can download maps on Android for offline use as well.

It doesn't work for navigation

samcraig
Jan 23, 2012, 09:59 AM
I think it's pretty funny watching so many people on here post about work-arounds, paid apps, etc vs Android's built in turn by turn navigation.

First of all - the whole point is that it's native in Android. There's no downloading an app, lower level integration, etc. The point is - you unbox your phone and it's there. And it works.

If this were an Apple built in iOS feature - people would be laughing at anyone trying to suggest any paid-for app/implementation on Android came close or could compete.

I know it's hard for some people - but when the situation arises where features or benefits of other platforms are showcased - one should really learn to just accept it. It doesn't reflect on you or your decision to own an iPhone.

All platforms have their advantages and disadvantages.

jterp7
Jan 23, 2012, 10:14 AM
I'll admit I'm somewhat annoyed that apple still hasn't integrated this into the phone by default. Competition is good guys, remember that...its the only thing stopping apple from constantly raising prices and worsening their products and CS.

I think it's pretty funny watching so many people on here post about work-arounds, paid apps, etc vs Android's built in turn by turn navigation.

First of all - the whole point is that it's native in Android. There's no downloading an app, lower level integration, etc. The point is - you unbox your phone and it's there. And it works.

If this were an Apple built in iOS feature - people would be laughing at anyone trying to suggest any paid-for app/implementation on Android came close or could compete.

I know it's hard for some people - but when the situation arises where features or benefits of other platforms are showcased - one should really learn to just accept it. It doesn't reflect on you or your decision to own an iPhone.

All platforms have their advantages and disadvantages.

Consultant
Jan 23, 2012, 10:36 AM

Couldn't agree more. There really is no excuse for it, I don't care how many of you out there think the current default map app works, the bottom line is that it should have had turn by turn with voice a long time ago. It isn't rocket science.

Again, Google does not allow other companies to use Google Maps for navigation.

So much for Google "openness". It isn't rocket science to figure out who is limiting who.

Rodimus Prime
Jan 23, 2012, 10:47 AM
I thought the point of turn-by-turn navigation was so you didn't have to take your eyes off the road which made driving safer, but now you are telling me that staring at the phone's screen to see a picture of an intersection is a feature to be proud of? I'd hate to be the car, cyclist or pedestrian in front of you :eek:
I have never seen it use street view for turns unless it is something that you can bring up yourself. I know for the destination it kicks over to street view witch I find very helpful.

So much for Google "openness". It isn't rocket science to figure out who is limiting who.

Do you have a source for this

88 King
Jan 23, 2012, 10:52 AM

Android OS is open source and you are free to develop it as you wish, like Amazon has done with Kindle Fire. However, certain Google apps such as Gmail, Market and Google Map ect does not fall under open source. Companies have to licence those from Goole to use them on their phones, so I don’t understand what is your complaint?

Apple already have licence deal for Google Map, they are free to arrange licence agreement with Google for the navigation app.

Oletros
Jan 23, 2012, 11:11 AM

And where exactly Google has claimed openness about Google Apps?

Consultant
Jan 23, 2012, 12:30 PM
Samsung Samsunged its own ad:
http://obamapacman.com/2012/01/iphone-users-got-samsunged/

ChazUK
Jan 23, 2012, 12:51 PM

Are you new to the whole "screen images simulated" thing?

I guess it'd be better they told fibs in their advertising. (http://thenextweb.com/apple/2010/07/06/is-apple-cheating-in-ipad-commercials/) ;)

Glideslope
Jan 23, 2012, 01:23 PM

No money wasted. Be patient. The 4S only has an A5. ;)

----------

And where exactly Google has claimed openness about Google Apps?

Where has Google shown a profit? :cool:

Oletros
Jan 23, 2012, 01:49 PM

You have to have a lot of spare time to write such a blog trying to bash anything that is not Apple.

----------

Where has Google shown a profit? :cool:

Excuse me?

Rodimus Prime
Jan 23, 2012, 01:52 PM

You know that is standard practice across the board and Apple does it as well.

Leave it to an Apple Fanboy site to try to make something out of nothing. Sorry but Apple fanboy sites as "evidence" of something wrong is worth less that the crap that comes out of my rear and I flush that down the toilet.

Any time they put a screen image of something in an ad no matter what manufacture they tend to doctor the image and "photoshop it" so to speak so it looks better. That being video or a picture. They want to remove any glare, and make sure everything looks right and the location appears right for the ad. You know that they had to fake that set up in the ad with actors so it is in some studio. That studio could be 100's of miles from the location they are faking so the screen needs to be faked as well to look correct.

samcraig
Jan 23, 2012, 01:58 PM

Bitter - party of 1 - your table is waiting.

AlexJaye
Jan 23, 2012, 02:33 PM
Mmmmm, no, a lot of GPS apps are a lot better than Google Navigation, that is a basic navigation app.

Not talking about using Google Navigation outside of your own country. Tomtom, Navigon, etc doesn't need data to worl, Google Navigation needs it

With Google Nav, you can pre-load maps of where you are going onto the phone so it doesn't rely on a data connection while navigating.

Oletros
Jan 23, 2012, 02:38 PM
With Google Nav, you can pre-load maps of where you are going onto the phone so it doesn't rely on a data connection while navigating.

No, you can cache the route but if you have to reroute or you start a new route it need data connection because all the calculations are do on the server side

Rodimus Prime
Jan 23, 2012, 02:41 PM
No, you can cache the route but if you have to reroute or you start a new route it need data connection because all the calculations are do on the server side

but calculations of the route is a lot less data than downloading the maps. But it is true the calculations are done completely server side.

Consultant
Jan 23, 2012, 04:16 PM
As to the haters, I also cover Apple fails as well. Site also covers products such as Chrome without negative things to say.

I have never seen it use street view for turns unless it is something that you can bring up yourself. I know for the destination it kicks over to street view witch I find very helpful.

Do you have a source for this

Yes. I've posted about it on my site. But here's Google:
http://www.google.com/help/terms_maps.html

Article on my site:
http://obamapacman.com/2012/01/why-iphone-doesnt-have-real-time-navigation-with-google-maps/

Rodimus Prime
Jan 23, 2012, 04:25 PM
As to the haters, I also cover Apple fails as well. Site also covers products such as Chrome without negative things to say.

Article on my site:
http://obamapacman.com/2012/01/why-iphone-doesnt-have-real-time-navigation-with-google-maps/

So Google has a resections on using of their data. Does not stop others from using the data to generated directions just can not use navigation.

Now I can see them requiring someone to have to pay Google for the right for real time navigation.
Does not change the fact that Android phones have voice navigation for free compared to iPhone users which do not by default and Apple excuse for not having it expired with iOS 4 much less iOS 5.

But your FUD spreading is kind of bad. Already called out your site about the crap with the fake screen shot and well my opinion on facts sited from a fanboy site.

Stridder44
Jan 23, 2012, 06:54 PM

Fair enough, but that's still not a good excuse for Apple. This is not a recent problem. They've had years, years, and tens of billions in the bank to make something happen. I really hope come summer or whenever the next big iPhone/iOS related announcements take place they really nail this issue down.

Oletros
Jan 24, 2012, 12:01 AM

Article on my site:

Really, give up you silly bashing.

First, you're omitting this "2. Restrictions on Use. Unless you have received prior written authorization from Google (or, as applicable, from the provider of particular Content), you must not:"

And second, this Terms of Service has been like this way way before there was Google Navigation, even the same terms for GPS real time apps were in the iOS SDK when it was launched in 2.008 and has nothing to do with navigation, but with liability.

awesomebase
Jan 24, 2012, 09:06 AM
Well, it is definitely true that this is a lacking feature -- don't expect Google to give up their best stuff to the competition (so easily).
I have nothing but Macs at home, an iPad, and an older iPhone and two new iPhones; but my next phone will probably be a Samsung. I love Apple's design and functionality and how everything "just works". But honestly, I'm tired of Apple's refusal to budge on certain design aspects.
They're right about not listening to the customer when it comes to producing a product. But they're completely wrong about towing that line once its out there. Feedback is what helps make things better. The iPhone has been out for 5 years now and it is the same cr** 3.5" screen (different resolution, yes, but same size screen) -- go to an AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile/Sprint store and just hold a phone with a 4" or 4.3" or 4.5" screen. The difference is amazing -- more to the point they actually make much better use of the phone's space. There is less of a bezel top/bottom and on both sides.
Now when it comes to Navigation, sure, we have lots of options through the App Store, but why does every aspect of how we organize and gather information need to be regulated through Apple? And worse yet -- things should get BETTER now WORSE in this regard as the market matures -- Apple did this with iTunes; they got the Labels to let go of DRM. So why are things going in reverse on the iPhone/iPad ecosystems?
At some point people need to vote with their wallets to express their discontent. I doubt the next iPhone will be anything larger than a 3.7" or 4" screen and it will no doubt keep all icons/apps in the same restrictive space. But I think I'm going to skip on this and go with Android (as much as I despise Google) or perhaps even Mango (though it is a very nice interface the phones are pretty limited in choice) and try it out for a while and see if my growing frustration with iPhone designs can be relieved by this platform or if I'll come back crawling on my knees for a new iPhone shortly thereafter.
I hope Apple continues to make quality products; I just hope that they'll loosen up a bit and adopt some better features...

organerito
Jan 24, 2012, 09:42 AM
Well, it is definitely true that this is a lacking feature -- don't expect Google to give up their best stuff to the competition (so easily).
I have nothing but Macs at home, an iPad, and an older iPhone and two new iPhones; but my next phone will probably be a Samsung. I love Apple's design and functionality and how everything "just works". But honestly, I'm tired of Apple's refusal to budge on certain design aspects.
They're right about not listening to the customer when it comes to producing a product. But they're completely wrong about towing that line once its out there. Feedback is what helps make things better. The iPhone has been out for 5 years now and it is the same cr** 3.5" screen (different resolution, yes, but same size screen) -- go to an AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile/Sprint store and just hold a phone with a 4" or 4.3" or 4.5" screen. The difference is amazing -- more to the point they actually make much better use of the phone's space. There is less of a bezel top/bottom and on both sides.
Now when it comes to Navigation, sure, we have lots of options through the App Store, but why does every aspect of how we organize and gather information need to be regulated through Apple? And worse yet -- things should get BETTER now WORSE in this regard as the market matures -- Apple did this with iTunes; they got the Labels to let go of DRM. So why are things going in reverse on the iPhone/iPad ecosystems?
At some point people need to vote with their wallets to express their discontent. I doubt the next iPhone will be anything larger than a 3.7" or 4" screen and it will no doubt keep all icons/apps in the same restrictive space. But I think I'm going to skip on this and go with Android (as much as I despise Google) or perhaps even Mango (though it is a very nice interface the phones are pretty limited in choice) and try it out for a while and see if my growing frustration with iPhone designs can be relieved by this platform or if I'll come back crawling on my knees for a new iPhone shortly thereafter.
I hope Apple continues to make quality products; I just hope that they'll loosen up a bit and adopt some better features...

That's why I bought a Samsung smartphone. I 'll go back to Apple whenever I think they have the best device for me.

kdarling
Jan 24, 2012, 09:49 AM
And second, this Terms of Service has been like this way way before there was Google Navigation, even the same terms for GPS real time apps were in the iOS SDK when it was launched in 2.008 and has nothing to do with navigation, but with liability.

Not just liability, but licensing.

Google buys or leases map information from multiple vendors who also sell their info to GPS makers.

That's a major reason why they're not allowed to let anyone else reuse the data for navigation, which would compete with the provider's revenue sources.

robphoton
Jan 24, 2012, 02:15 PM
I use turn by turn with Navigon on my iPhone, which has excellent voice turn by turn. The problem with the Google App is you have to have an internet connection for it to work. Navigon requires no internet connection, so you can use it anywhere, and its VERY accurate even when I sit my phone down in the cup holder of my Prius.

Navigon is a Garman company.

jterp7
Jan 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
I use turn by turn with Navigon on my iPhone, which has excellent voice turn by turn. The problem with the Google App is you have to have an internet connection for it to work. Navigon requires no internet connection, so you can use it anywhere, and its VERY accurate even when I sit my phone down in the cup holder of my Prius.

Navigon is a Garman company.

hmm 59.99 for the full NA Navigon. I suppose its reasonable, but hard to say without having tried it myself.

sazivad
Jan 24, 2012, 02:56 PM
...You're clearly in a camp that will never give Apple credit (where it's due) and simply hold on to how it's been and "supposed to be" with computers and smartphones. Have fun living in 1995. When Samdung...
I pretty much agreed with you, until I saw this. Seriously? Resorting to name calling? Though I don't think Samsung's ad is good, just call the company Samsung. Otherwise, you'd be just as bad as the trolls.

JDawg76
Jan 24, 2012, 04:20 PM

And get to the wrong place all the time? No, zank you :)

forty2j
Jan 24, 2012, 06:07 PM
I pretty much agreed with you, until I saw this. Seriously? Resorting to name calling? Though I don't think Samsung's ad is good, just call the company Samsung. Otherwise, you'd be just as bad as the trolls.

Considering the letters' location on the keyboard, I had assumed that one wasn't intentional.

danahn17
Jan 24, 2012, 09:05 PM

I think you should check out this thread from a little while back:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1226075

Particularly post number 4.

Looks like you're the one who got Samsunged. :rolleyes:

robjulo
Jan 27, 2012, 06:07 AM

No. It has nothing to do with doing it right. Google does it right with navigation, which is head and shoulders above even the paid apps on IPhone (I've used both dozens of times).

It has to do with taking a cut off app sales.

duffman9000
Jan 27, 2012, 10:51 PM
No. It has nothing to do with doing it right. Google does it right with navigation, which is head and shoulders above even the paid apps on IPhone (I've used both dozens of times).

It has to do with taking a cut off app sales.

It's not because Apple wants a cut of navigation app sales. Apple has already bought most, if not all, the components it needs to make a navigation app.

miss.manson
Feb 2, 2012, 09:09 AM
Am I missing something? Because my iPhone has turn by turn directions.....It doesn't talk but I can read the directions. I don't have an app installed.

Oletros
Feb 3, 2012, 05:02 AM
Am I missing something? Because my iPhone has turn by turn directions.....It doesn't talk but I can read the directions. I don't have an app installed.

This is not turn by turn guidance

PIX
Feb 3, 2012, 08:24 AM
I've been using Navfree GPS Live By Geolife Ltd for a year:
http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/navfree-gps-live-canada/id425694872?mt=8

The iPhone/iPad app is free and is available with variety of international maps.
I love:D it so much that I rarely use my Garmin Nuvii anymore.

miss.manson
Feb 3, 2012, 08:58 PM
This is not turn by turn guidance

oops:o

h4lp m3
Feb 4, 2012, 01:03 AM
I've highlighted the ones real users might care about right now. The rest are exciting for engineers and bothersome for everyone else.

I dunno man. I kinda like the idea of SD cards. Pop it in, take it out, move files from devices. And when you sell your phone or upgrade, you just take it out and put it in another... Yep. Useless SD cards. :rolleyes:

forty2j
Feb 4, 2012, 09:18 AM
I dunno man. I kinda like the idea of SD cards. Pop it in, take it out, move files from devices. And when you sell your phone or upgrade, you just take it out and put it in another... Yep. Useless SD cards. :rolleyes:

I've bought 5 SD cards in my life. I've lost 4 of them. To me, they're just 3 1/2" floppies designed to disappear more easily.

Mikesus
Feb 5, 2012, 04:13 PM

Its not pointless. Apple might to decide to cut a deal with someone to provide the missing app so to speak. Thanks Samsung!

TurboMoses
Feb 6, 2012, 05:16 PM
This ad is silly.

The DRis
Mar 9, 2012, 12:50 PM
I suggest you read what I wrote earlier in this tread, since you clearly passed it over I nicely quoted it for you in this thread. It kind of kills your argument. Top it off you go insulting and proving my point.

People who use voice guided with out generally looking over the direction is the incorrect way to use GPS. Better way is to use get the direction look it over and then let the voice to help alert you when upcoming turns are and for it to readjust for when you miss a turn/exit. On top of that it is safer because it lets you keep your eyes and mind on the road instead of trying to read the direction and figure out when your next turn is.

Just found the notification that I was quoted, so this is old, but I'll respond.

I can look at a map, read the names of the streets, and not have to look at my phone again until I'm at the location.

Capeesh?