PDA

View Full Version : 'Evi' Arrives as Potential Challenger to Siri

MacRumors
Jan 23, 2012, 12:34 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/23/evi-arrives-as-potential-challenger-to-siri/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/01/evi_help-150x116.jpg

TechCrunch reports (http://eu.techcrunch.com/2012/01/23/evi-arrives-in-town-to-go-toe-to-toe-with-siri/) on Evi (http://www.evi.com/), a new Siri-like offering from True Knowledge that has launched for iOS devices (http://www.appshopper.com/lifestyle/evi) [App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/app/evi/id463296609?mt=8)] and as a beta for Android devices. While Siri provides a fair amount of integration with Apple apps and services such as reminders and calendaring, it is currently limited to the iPhone 4S, while Evi is compatible with all iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch devices running iOS 4.0 or later.She - we'll call this Artificial Intelligence a she - returns amazing results when consulted. Given that Siri is just not very good at giving answers which aren't about the US, Evi might just be the Siri for the rest of the world, especially since Evi wil run on any Andoid or iPhone, and not just the 4S. I've seen her in action and Evi is very, very smart.TrCK0ya097Q
Based on the same Nuance voice recognition technology found in Siri and the licensing of which accounts for Evi's $0.99 price tag in the App Store, Evi draws upon a database of nearly a billion facts as well as integration with Yelp and other services to deliver an array of information that seems to compare favorably to Siri's abilities.Install Evi on an iPhone 4S and compare it to Evi. Ask "How do I make apple pie?". Siri is unable to provide a direct answer and so asks whether you want to search the web. Evi provides a list of recipes with web links.

Ask "Who was President when Queen Elizabeth II was born". Siri is unable to provide an answer and suggests performing a web search. Evi determines who Queen Elizabeth II is, when she was born, the dates when she will have been a teenager and then compares this against which US presidents were in office over that time, delivering the results of both serving US presidents during those years. Not bad huh.Evi offers the option of voice or text input, local results for the United States and United Kingdom, and a built-in browser view for quick access to web links from results.

Article Link: 'Evi' Arrives as Potential Challenger to Siri (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/23/evi-arrives-as-potential-challenger-to-siri/)

Slix
Jan 23, 2012, 12:38 PM
That logo... is so creepy.

MacDawg
Jan 23, 2012, 12:38 PM
While those results might be interesting, apple pie baking and presidents with the Queen's reign are not things I personally would be asking Siri or Evi

JonneyGee
Jan 23, 2012, 12:41 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

For those who will inevitably call Evi a copycat, this is good for Siri as it will require Apple to continue developing Siri. Hopefully this will spur on Apple to release an API for apps soon.

AlphaDogg
Jan 23, 2012, 12:42 PM
Too bad it is not integrated into the OS like Siri is.

QuiteSure
Jan 23, 2012, 12:49 PM
So far, no good. Asked a few questions like: "who were the seven dwarfs" "who was the 10th president of the united states" and while the recognition appears to be good (thanks Nuance) the responses have all been uniformly unhelpful:

"I'm having trouble getting a response from my servers. You might want to try again in a minute."

I'd rather get a web search than a no response.

ArtOfWarfare
Jan 23, 2012, 12:49 PM
While those results might be interesting, apple pie baking and presidents with the Queen's reign are not things I personally would be asking Siri or Evi

While I agree I wouldn't ask these specific trivia questions, it demonstrates her ability to do more than just perform a google search for you.

Trivia lookup: Siri < Evi
Personal assistant: Siri > Evi

Although I should mention Siri is a terrible personal assistant. Her ability to interpret locations when I'm trying to set up a calendar appointment is... Nonexistent.

Her ability to create new contacts is... Well, also nonexistent. Both of these are tap and time intensive tasks that would be much easier to do with your voice on the phone.

QuiteSure
Jan 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
So far, no good. Asked a few questions like: "who were the seven dwarfs" "who was the 10th president of the united states" and while the recognition appears to be good (thanks Nuance) the responses have all been uniformly unhelpful:

"I'm having trouble getting a response from my servers. You might want to try again in a minute."

When I asked Siri who the 10th president of the united states was, she took 4 seconds to return "John Tyler", his country, political affiliation, and other pertinent details of his term of office.

iphoneIA
Jan 23, 2012, 12:51 PM
Competition for Siri is a good thing right? I am going to wait and see what the reviews are after a few weeks and see if it will work. Having the iPhone 4 Siri is the one thing that I wish I had. Call me a cheapscate for not laying down the extra money for the iPhone 4S.

Any chance Apple halts this app because it it too much like Siri?

*LTD*
Jan 23, 2012, 12:52 PM
Thank you, Apple.

Snowcat001
Jan 23, 2012, 12:54 PM
Siri is more like a personal assistant, Evi seems to be more of an intelligent search machine, it doesn't really seem to help you get things done but tells you where and how and when and who and... .

iNtrigued
Jan 23, 2012, 12:55 PM
Guys, if I'm nt mistaking, Siri is still a Beta version. I'm sure she'll grow up to Evi and maybe even mature more after it gets out of beta phase ........

What do you think?

AlexJaye
Jan 23, 2012, 01:04 PM

Same issue I'm having over and over.

ozaz
Jan 23, 2012, 01:07 PM
Why are you having trouble getting a response from your servers?

Evi: "I don't know right now - try asking again next week"

srxtr
Jan 23, 2012, 01:14 PM
I'm having trouble getting a response from my servers. You might want to try again in a minute.

Evi's answer to everything I ask. Not too bright I think.

jclardy
Jan 23, 2012, 01:16 PM
I like their thumbs up/down buttons to help find relevant info. Although they are a little large, and I think you could get away with just having a thumbs down button (And assume the response was helpful otherwise.)

Sometimes I ask Siri a question that I just want to search for and it picks up on a certain word like "ice cream" and then searches for ice cream restaurants around my location. I then have to rephrase my question, but at that point it is just easier to type it in myself. If there was a "thats not what I meant" button it would improve Siri's usability immensely, along with giving Apple information on where Siri is failing to meet peoples expectations.

AustinIllini
Jan 23, 2012, 01:20 PM
Any chance Apple halts this app because it it too much like Siri?

In theory the writing would be on the wall for this application. Newer versions of the iPhone will have Siri, so I see no reason for Apple to stop it as Apple moves forward.

marcusj0015
Jan 23, 2012, 01:24 PM
That name is WAY too close to "Evil" and it's clearly a ripoff of Siri at the same time. terrible name.

a ****ing cyclops for a logo? are you TRYING to commit product suicide?

is this a strange psychological study involving marketing?

rmwebs
Jan 23, 2012, 01:25 PM
Thank you, Apple.

:rolleyes: You mean than you Nuance for letting apple use THEIR technology...Apple did not invent bugger all here.

Evi is a great option for those of us not stupid enough to move from a 4 to 4s just for a voice assistant gimmick ;)

Now, stop being smug.

*LTD*
Jan 23, 2012, 01:32 PM
:rolleyes: You mean than you Nuance for letting apple use THEIR technology...Apple did not invent bugger all here.

When the Apple train comes in, everybody rides.

Don't you already know this?

chrono1081
Jan 23, 2012, 01:37 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A405)

For those who will inevitably call Evi a copycat, this is good for Siri as it will require Apple to continue developing Siri. Hopefully this will spur on Apple to release an API for apps soon.

The whole "competition is good" thing rarely proves true FYI. I know its the trendy thing to write (no offense) but it really means nothing in most cases.

rmwebs
Jan 23, 2012, 01:37 PM
When the Apple train comes in, everybody rides.

Except Apple weren't first...again...

shartypants
Jan 23, 2012, 01:38 PM
That name is WAY too close to "Evil" ...

I was thinking the same thing, they need to do a rename and get a better icon. The technology looks awesome, I've often asked Siri questions that Evi seems to answer. I think we will see these improvements in Siri soon, like people have pointed out, its still in Beta.

rmwebs
Jan 23, 2012, 01:39 PM
Evi's answer to everything I ask. Not too bright I think.

Looks like growing pains...same thing happens with every Apple online service and we all get over it and move on ;)

AJKing
Jan 23, 2012, 01:40 PM

Wondering if their servers are getting over burdened because I keep getting the "I'm having trouble getting a response from my servers. You might want to try again in a minute." as well.

Never used Siri but I hope it's much better than this. Much of what I say it doesn't seem to understand.

BC2009
Jan 23, 2012, 01:42 PM
What I want to see now is Evi take on IBM's Watson on Jeopardy. :)

Wouldn't it be cool if there was a Watson app next?

AcesHigh87
Jan 23, 2012, 01:43 PM

Wondering if their servers are getting over burdened because I keep getting the "I'm having trouble getting a response from my servers. You might want to try again in a minute." as well.

Never used Siri but I hope it's much better than this. Much of what I say it doesn't seem to understand.

I'm betting they are a bit over-burdened right now is all. Plus, from my perspective (android user) it's still in beta so there are bound to be issues. When I do finally get an answer though Evi seems to do pretty well.

TLewis
Jan 23, 2012, 01:44 PM
Yup. Servers appear to be overloaded. They really need to address that if they want to have a chance at Siri. (Seriously, how could they not see this coming. :rolleyes: )

Also, the voice recognition is pretty hit-and-miss for me.

zigzagg321
Jan 23, 2012, 02:00 PM

This is all I get as well... I expect that once the surge calms, it will get better.

HishamAkhtar
Jan 23, 2012, 02:13 PM
No offense but Siri is still pretty ****.

mkruck
Jan 23, 2012, 02:16 PM
No offense but Siri is still pretty ****.

Horrible?
Useless?
Gimmicky?

TLewis
Jan 23, 2012, 02:17 PM
This is all I get as well... I expect that once the surge calms, it will get better.
I hope so. However, even with all of the users from MacRumors, Appleinsider, TUAW, Lifehacker, and others pounding on Evi, the total number is probably tiny compared to the number of Siri users. The Evi folks really need to increase server capacity if they want even a tiny chance of taking away some marketshare from Siri. Also, the longer this server capacity issue goes on, the more people who'll stop using Evi and not come back.

KindredMAC
Jan 23, 2012, 02:27 PM
The first time I used the original Siri it had the same issues as Evi today.
I downloaded the original Siri app because of an article on here a while back and couldn't use it for a day or two but then it was beautiful. I hope for the same experience with Evi.

Biscuit411
Jan 23, 2012, 02:28 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Siri is still pretty buggy for me too. I'd say half the time it either doesn't understand what I'm saying, or it's 'busy'. The 'busy' comments showed up the other day while I was demoing Siri to a friend. No more Siri demos for me... :-(

bushido
Jan 23, 2012, 02:34 PM
i barely use siri because her voice drives me crazy, she sounds like some angry ex wife

Rodimus Prime
Jan 23, 2012, 02:45 PM
Too bad it is not integrated into the OS like Siri is.

But works on all the devices compared to Apple 100% BS blocking of anything not 4S.

Yup. Servers appear to be overloaded. They really need to address that if they want to have a chance at Siri. (Seriously, how could they not see this coming. :rolleyes: )

Also, the voice recognition is pretty hit-and-miss for me.

I except they could see it coming but nothing they could do about it due to lack of funds. Compared to Apple that choose to be cheap and not bother. The lack of funds and resources is not an excuse for Apple.

cere
Jan 23, 2012, 02:47 PM
I'd love to see Evi get better and even be better than Siri (where they have overlap) since I am still on a 4 (because I am in Canada won't be eligible for an upgrade until 2013 when the iPhone after the 5 comes out). But no matter how good it gets it cannot be a replacement for Siri because it can't tie into OS operations and system data the way Siri can. Without that level of access, will it be able to make appointments or look up contacts?

0dev
Jan 23, 2012, 02:52 PM
I might get this on my iPhone 4, since Apple were kind enough to not support Siri for it.

yeah
Jan 23, 2012, 03:02 PM

I know who could defeat "Watson"
The human brain :p

baryon
Jan 23, 2012, 03:03 PM
This is amazing! Siri is pretty useless unless you're in the USA, since the most useful things are location searches, which it can't do for some reason.

Gil2264
Jan 23, 2012, 03:11 PM
My guess is that apple will eventually buy Evi out and incorporate it into the next OS.

KOZOK
Jan 23, 2012, 03:15 PM
Now, stop being smug.
Pot, meet kettle.

CylonGlitch
Jan 23, 2012, 03:21 PM

I'm having trouble getting a response from my servers. You might want to try again in a minute.

rmwebs
Jan 23, 2012, 03:29 PM
Pot, meet kettle.

You're allowed to be smug if you're correct. But when someone comes out with a statement that implies its a Siri rip off, you can see they have done no research to back that up. Evi has a MUCH better AI than Siri. Try it for yourself.

http://eu.techcrunch.com/2012/01/23/evi-arrives-in-town-to-go-toe-to-toe-with-siri/

The question about Queen Elizabeth in the above article is enough to show that Evi has a lot more intelligence than Siri.

More info - it uses True Knowledge, which Siri does not. It's also patented, so is something Apple can not do without going through Evi's developers.

http://www.slashgear.com/evi-one-ups-siri-for-ios-and-android-23210365/
http://www.webpronews.com/evi-siri-ios-android-2012-01
http://9to5mac.com/2012/01/23/for-ios-users-without-siri-there-is-evi/

Lukeyy19
Jan 23, 2012, 03:29 PM
so far i have got 2 useful answers, 3 completely irrelevant answers, and 20 answers of "I'm having trouble getting a response from my servers"

this isn't looking promising...

*LTD*
Jan 23, 2012, 03:31 PM
But works on all the devices compared to Apple 100% BS blocking of anything not 4S.

Why should Apple release it everywhere when it's contributing to record sales of their own device? :confused:

----------

so far i have got 2 useful answers, 3 completely irrelevant answers, and 20 answers of "I'm having trouble getting a response from my servers"

She aint Siri.

rmwebs
Jan 23, 2012, 03:33 PM

They are having server issues which seem reminiscent of the Siri launch. Give it a couple of days ;)

----------

She aint Siri.

But she uses the EXACT SAME voice recognition technology, so if it doesn't recognise what you're saying in Evi, it wont recognise it in Siri (and vice-versa)

Rodimus Prime
Jan 23, 2012, 03:43 PM
Why should Apple release it everywhere when it's contributing to record sales of their own device? :confused:[COLOR="#808080"]

Does not change the fact that it is a BS blocking. It tells us that Apple though the 4S was a crummy upgraded and they needed a BS reasons to force it.

No matter how you cut it the Siri on 4S is a completely BS software block. It is not hardware at all. It it was hardware then yeah it would be ok but its been proven multiple times over that Siri does not need the much hardware power to work. All it needs is a mic and a way to upload a small file.

APlotdevice
Jan 23, 2012, 03:46 PM
That logo... is so creepy.

For some reason it reminds me a little of an extension I had for System 7 that put little eyes on the menu at which would follow the cursor around.

Apple Key
Jan 23, 2012, 03:53 PM
Siri is still very young. She will learn and grow with time.

The logo reminds me of Leela from Futurama.

SouthPhillyPT
Jan 23, 2012, 03:56 PM
So, I just downloaded it and it's not working. What a waste!

gfeen
Jan 23, 2012, 04:00 PM
Ask “Who was President when Queen Elizabeth II was born”. Siri is unable to provide an answer and suggests performing a web search.

WRONG!!!!! I asked Siri this and she easily got the correct answer, on the first try: Calvin Coolidge

Take that Evi:D

bandofbrothers
Jan 23, 2012, 04:14 PM
How do I delete the questions I've asked ??

Shrink
Jan 23, 2012, 04:16 PM
How do I delete the questions I've asked ??

Ooh, I know what kind of questions you asked. Shame, shame.:rolleyes: :D

Ian1982
Jan 23, 2012, 04:18 PM

That's what I'm getting...could be a victim of its own quick success?

bandofbrothers
Jan 23, 2012, 04:21 PM
Ooh, I know what kind of questions you asked. Shame, shame.:rolleyes: :D

Lol !

Nope just boring ones like what's the weather like ?

So back to my original question, how do I clear them ?

Shrink
Jan 23, 2012, 04:24 PM
Am I correct in assuming that you can't say "Email John Smith" or do texts, and the like. It's not integrated with any apps, right. It just answers question...:confused:

SkippyThorson
Jan 23, 2012, 04:29 PM
"Install Evi on an iPhone 4S and compare it to Evi."

Really; Install Evi on an iPhone and then compare it to itself?

I see. I'll give it a shot. -- Just as I assumed. Evi is better than Evi.

simon48
Jan 23, 2012, 04:31 PM
Am I correct in assuming that you can't say "Email John Smith" or do texts, and the like. It's not integrated with any apps, right. It just answers question...:confused:

I think so.

SkippyThorson
Jan 23, 2012, 04:33 PM

That sounds about right. There's one enormous flaw here with Evi. Siri is system-wide integration, while Evi is its own app.

While Siri can interact with the entire iPhone, Evi can only interact with, well, its built-in browser.

In addition, Siri can be brought up at any moment. Evi, as an app, must be found, launched, and then used. Not exactly handy for on-the-spot needs.

alchemistmuffin
Jan 23, 2012, 04:39 PM
Well, from the looks of it, it's a huge server issue.

I think Evi people kinda knew this was happening, but if they are start up that uses couple of Mac Mini servers, I think it might take more than 24 hours to buy more servers to handle the issues.

*LTD*
Jan 23, 2012, 04:43 PM
Does not change the fact that it is a BS blocking.

What is a "BS blocking"? Sounds like the Bills' post-season strategy, LOL.

It tells us that Apple though the 4S was a crummy upgraded and they needed a BS reasons to force it.

A better phone in every respect, and one that didn't need to be any better. Still the #1 handsets - all of them have an Apple logo on the back. I don't see consumers complaining. In fact, come this quarters' results, all we'll see is record sales.

No matter how you cut it the Siri on 4S is a completely BS software block.

Your complaint is your own. That "BS software block" also keeps Siri off Android junk-ware, where something as well-implemented as Siri, wrapped in gorgeous hardware and and a refined OS, has no place.

Shrink
Jan 23, 2012, 04:50 PM
I just checked out the reviews in iTunes for Evi - not good. Seems to come up short in answering question, but that's not really a problem at the moment because no one can get on the servers.

From the user reviews, it appears Evi is not all that much better than Google Search.

Since I haven't tried it personally - take the above for what it's worth - hearsay testimony.:D

Rodimus Prime
Jan 23, 2012, 04:55 PM
What is a "BS blocking"? Sounds like the Bills' post-season strategy, LOL.

A better phone in every respect, and one that didn't need to be any better. Still the #1 handsets - all of them have an Apple logo on the back. I don't see consumers complaining. In fact, come this quarters' results, all we'll see is record sales.

Your complaint is your own. That "BS software block" also keeps Siri off Android junk-ware, where something as well-implemented as Siri, wrapped in gorgeous hardware and and a refined OS, has no place.

ah the classic LTD switching and FUD.

Where did I say that Siri should be allowed to be on Android.
I was talking about the fact that Siri is not allowed on 3GS, or 4. That is the BS.
Saying that 3GS and 4 is fully updated when it lacking that features of iOS5 means it not really fully updated. There is no reason for Siri to be block from those other than the fact Apple is being greedy and likes to screw over its customers.

gfeen
Jan 23, 2012, 05:26 PM
ah the classic LTD switching and FUD.

Where did I say that Siri should be allowed to be on Android.
I was talking about the fact that Siri is not allowed on 3GS, or 4. That is the BS.
Saying that 3GS and 4 is fully updated when it lacking that features of iOS5 means it not really fully updated. There is no reason for Siri to be block from those other than the fact Apple is being greedy and likes to screw over its customers.

Siri is not a part of iOS 5. Siri is a unique piece of software that is specific for the iPhone 4S, just like the iPhone 4 had a better camera than the iPhone 3GS and so on. It would be the same as complaining as why do some Android phones have faster processors than others. Or why is the HTC Evo 3D not giving the HTC Evo the 3D feature. The reason: because it is unique to that handset just like Siri is to the iPhone 4S

rmwebs
Jan 23, 2012, 05:33 PM
Well, from the looks of it, it's a huge server issue.

I think Evi people kinda knew this was happening, but if they are start up that uses couple of Mac Mini servers, I think it might take more than 24 hours to buy more servers to handle the issues.

They aren't some little startup. They have full Nuance licensing, their own algorithms for Q&A (better than Siri's) as well as full patents on the technology.

Apple had a huge server problem when Siri launched, in fact Apple has server problems when they launch any web based service...they have yet to release a web based service without it crapping out within a couple of hours of launch.

Mochi Hana
Jan 23, 2012, 05:36 PM
All the App Store reviews say it doesn't work. I'm guessing it's because their servers can't take the load, but just the same, I'm going to hold off on buying.

roadbloc
Jan 23, 2012, 05:36 PM
To be fair, Apple has a long history of using software to sell hardware. As do a few other companies. Something such as Siri being 4S only despite it easily being able to run on the 3GS or 4 shouldn't have come as a surprise.

On topic, picked up this Evi app. Its okay I guess, a bit slow and always seems to show links to the answers. Hopefully development will continue.

Bwinski
Jan 23, 2012, 05:37 PM
So,, EVI is being rolled out... From the responses I got from her and her developers web knowledge base, they need to start over again....from scratch.
Question 1... Find me the Oakley Hotel in Windsor Englang... Ans..... duh..

Question 2 ... What is he best ice crearm in Antwerp Belgium? ..ans... Dud..

Question 3... Find me a eafood restaurant on the harbor in Balitmore Maryland ...ans... Duh...

Question 4.. Find me a barbecue restaurant in Austin , Texas.... Ans... Duh.

ABSOLUTELY USELESS.

b166er
Jan 23, 2012, 05:51 PM
so far Siri is killing it compared to evi, for me anyway.

Also for those out there who like to jailbreak, there are a few simple, free tweaks out there that makes Siri way better. Voice activation, toggling settings, etc. Makes using Siri while driving a lot easier and 100% hands free.

r.j.s
Jan 23, 2012, 05:55 PM

Exactly, can Evi send text messages, make phone calls or schedule reminders/appointments?

COBRASVT
Jan 23, 2012, 06:40 PM
Reviews don't look to promising! Looks like a big fail to me. Shame!

Rodimus Prime
Jan 23, 2012, 06:55 PM
Exactly, can Evi send text messages, make phone calls or schedule reminders/appointments?

It will be on Android because. Android allows apps are allowed to make system calls and request something else be run.
From there the user get a pop up to choose from a list of Apps that can run the given request and if the user wants to can set this up default for that call from given location.

elgrecomac
Jan 23, 2012, 06:56 PM
Guys, if I'm nt mistaking, Siri is still a Beta version. I'm sure she'll grow up to Evi and maybe even mature more after it gets out of beta phase ........

What do you think?

I am officially 100% fed up with Apple Apologists saying Siri is still beta....Apple uses it as a selling point in print and tv commercials. It is NOT beta. It is in a production environment and being touted as a great tool by its owner and NEVER in their tv commercials is the word "beta" uttered. Never.

b166er
Jan 23, 2012, 07:38 PM
I am officially 100% fed up with Apple Apologists saying Siri is still beta....Apple uses it as a selling point in print and tv commercials. It is NOT beta. It is in a production environment and being touted as a great tool by its owner and NEVER in their tv commercials is the word "beta" uttered. Never.

never

http://i.imgur.com/nZh3V.png

Apple says it's in beta.

kpac
Jan 23, 2012, 08:04 PM
Has anyone tried it in Canada... ? Is it any good, specially for locating stuff and all?
tnx.

JAT
Jan 23, 2012, 08:59 PM
You're allowed to be smug if you're correct. But when someone comes out with a statement that implies its a Siri rip off, you can see they have done no research to back that up. Evi has a MUCH better AI than Siri. Try it for yourself.
All I see is it has its own encyclopedia database. (and nothing else) Siri just hooks up with other apps for lookup.
For some reason it reminds me a little of an extension I had for System 7 that put little eyes on the menu at which would follow the cursor around.
I had that once. You can get something like that today, too.

TLewis
Jan 23, 2012, 09:22 PM
I except they could see it coming but nothing they could do about it due to lack of funds. Compared to Apple that choose to be cheap and not bother. The lack of funds and resources is not an excuse for Apple.
First impressions are important. The big danger here is that people will try it out, get a server error, give up, and never come back. They could lose a lot of potential users that way, with the possible result that they'll never be successful. Now, if they're unsuccessful, I don't think they'd enter the deadpool, but they might be bought for a less-than desired amount.

Stella
Jan 23, 2012, 09:44 PM

No 3rd party applications can have much integration into iOS apps.. so, no, its not going to happen unless Apple changes its developer rules. Sand boxed applications. For example: The most this thing could do is open an email and let the user type or dictate using SIRI. Not possible to substitute SIRI with Evi. Example 2: I'm not aware that Cocoa Touch can send SMSs without user intervention...

Sardonick007
Jan 23, 2012, 09:47 PM
...it's still as useless now as it was when I first downloaded it. Servers won't respond, answers are wrong or reference websites instead of giving an answer. Free on android, paid app on iOS. Not impressed, but maybe it'll get better, who knows?

bandofbrothers
Jan 24, 2012, 12:29 AM
Siri is not a part of iOS 5. Siri is a unique piece of software that is specific for the iPhone 4S, just like the iPhone 4 had a better camera than the iPhone 3GS and so on. It would be the same as complaining as why do some Android phones have faster processors than others. Or why is the HTC Evo 3D not giving the HTC Evo the 3D feature. The reason: because it is unique to that handset just like Siri is to the iPhone 4S

I don't agree with your reasoning.

Siri was tested and run on the iPhone 4 well before the gm release of iOS 5, and the iPhone 4s.

The designers of Siri say it would not run at its full potential on the iPhone 4 but this is refuted by the developers on the street who road tested Siri.

This subject has been discussed when the 4s was released and many a conclusion came down to Apple needing a niche to push the 4s as many were looking to an iPhone 5 release.

iamjose
Jan 24, 2012, 01:45 AM
I wonder if Evi can be used in any way with Spire??? Evi's servers with Spire's iOS intergration??? JAILBREAK NERDS OF THE WORLD UNITE!!! Make it happen!

justperry
Jan 24, 2012, 05:00 AM

I had that once. You can get something like that today, too.

I deleted that App a few days ago, Eyeballs was its name.

Can you get the both of them, Siri and Evi into a perpetual loop;)

MacScoob
Jan 24, 2012, 07:46 AM
I wonder if Evi can be used in any way with Spire??? Evi's servers with Spire's iOS intergration??? JAILBREAK NERDS OF THE WORLD UNITE!!! Make it happen!

THIS. Or a set up in a way so that Evi comes up with a similar interface to siri when you hold the home button

*LTD*
Jan 24, 2012, 08:58 AM

Well, there goes most of Android then.

Yeah, it also seems like it sucks. So it can work on my vacuum cleaner for all I care.

To do what?

kingtj
Jan 24, 2012, 09:54 AM
All of this "digital personal assistant" stuff for phones is still in its infancy.
Siri doesn't even work well in countries outside the U.S. yet, and Evi sounds like it's having server issues right now.

What I'd like to see (and I'm sure will develop eventually) is for Siri (or competitors) to truly read back all of their responses to me, unless I specifically ask otherwise.

EG. If I ask Siri to "Google ink cartridges needed for HP DeskJet 5150 printer", I'm fine with it pulling up a search results page on my phone's screen. But if I ask Siri "Which ink cartridges do I need for a HP DeskJet 5150 printer?", I'd like it to read back the ink cartridge numbers required.

Especially when driving and using a hands-free bluetooth link, something like Siri really starts making sense as a powerful feature -- but not when results come back only on your iPhone's screen.

kinderdm
Jan 24, 2012, 10:22 AM
I will get this for the info side of things alone though I would like to know where Evi is pulling its data from. We know Siri pulls a lot from Wolfram Alpha but where does this come from? I would like to see integration like siri but i know apple would never allow that. For the price though I will take this as I never planed on upgrading to a 4s for Siri anyway, just not worth it. Maybe if the next iphone has some killer new features like a siri that works well and new maps or something then we can talk upgrading.

therussell182
Jan 24, 2012, 10:32 AM
According to Evi's support site, the servers that run Evi are down due to an influx of users. It states that the Support Team is working to get the servers back up and that they will notify users when function is restored.
In the mean time, the makers of Evi should pull the app from the App Store until the servers are back up.

Personally, I have been unable to use Evi so far.

trevorde
Jan 24, 2012, 10:54 AM
Will Evi handle Scottish accents?

dBeats
Jan 24, 2012, 11:25 AM
I guess they should change the name to Eva, as in it takes 4Eva to get an answer!

marty1980
Jan 24, 2012, 11:53 AM
The app quickly got bad ratings in the Apple store for connection issues. These issues appear to be presented here in previous posts. It was this issue that convinced me not to purchase the app.

MacRumors should add to their article a note about the large amount of negative feedback this app has been getting for connection issues.

Gasu E.
Jan 24, 2012, 12:08 PM

I think what we are seeing is that it is not enough to have a good algorithm; you need to be backing it up with enough compute power to handle thousands of inquiries per second. Apple is doing that; at $.99 per copy, the Evi people are unlikely to ever have the capital to support this service adequately. At best, this is a technology demo by a company looking to be acquired.

george-brooks
Jan 24, 2012, 12:14 PM
Seems strange that Apple allowed this on the app store. I won't be downloading it myself but its nice that non 4S owners have some sort of alternative (although from the few comments I've read it doesn't sound terribly effective)

----------

I don't agree with your reasoning.

Siri was tested and run on the iPhone 4 well before the gm release of iOS 5, and the iPhone 4s.

The designers of Siri say it would not run at its full potential on the iPhone 4 but this is refuted by the developers on the street who road tested Siri.

This subject has been discussed when the 4s was released and many a conclusion came down to Apple needing a niche to push the 4s as many were looking to an iPhone 5 release.

I agree, had siri been available for all devices the 4S would've been a much less impressive release and we might have seen such strong sales numbers. I think siri will probably be on all future iOS devices but making it a 4S only software feature was a good move in this specific instance.

Yamcha
Jan 24, 2012, 02:53 PM
Good alternative to people who are still using iOS 4.0.. Haven't used either so can't really say how it compares..

Cheshire Cat
Jan 24, 2012, 03:21 PM
When I looked at Evi download page on iTunes Store, 575 of the 611 people who had rated Evi gave her 1 start, the lowest rating. I think I'll just wait until it earns as many fives as ones before spending any time or money on it.

bandofbrothers
Jan 24, 2012, 03:26 PM
When I looked at Evi download page on iTunes Store, 575 of the 611 people who had rated Evi gave her 1 start, the lowest rating. I think I'll just wait until it earns as many fives as ones before spending any time or money on it.

I don't see spending £0.69 on this potential good app a waste of money. And as for time I can choose to spend as much or little as I seem fit. Updates will be churned out from forums so pushed e mails are the only time I would waste in reading em

Roy G Biv
Jan 24, 2012, 10:07 PM
Thank you, Apple!

Mac.World
Jan 25, 2012, 01:24 AM
It does not work even 5% of the time, because it appears the servers are to slow, hammered, garbage, whatever. You are lucky to ever get an answer.

On the plus side, the speech recognition software is spot on. I mean it is perfect. If only they could get the servers running, Evi would really be a Siri alternative.

farleysmaster
Jan 25, 2012, 08:26 AM
...it's still as useless now as it was when I first downloaded it. Servers won't respond, answers are wrong or reference websites instead of giving an answer. Free on android, paid app on iOS. Not impressed, but maybe it'll get better, who knows?
This.

The initial article really hyped Evi, but when it does work, the answers it gives are mostly links to other sites (through Bing...)

Siri might be nicer if it focussed on using Wolfram in the first place (or checked it before offering a web search).

e.g. why doesn't 'Flights Overhead' give the same result as 'Wolfram Alpha Flights Overhead'.

----------

Will Evi handle Scottish accents?

Same Nuance engine, so should be exactly the same, I would have thought.

princigalli
Jan 25, 2012, 09:51 AM

I completely agree

gatd
Jan 25, 2012, 10:06 AM
On the plus side, the speech recognition software is spot on. I mean it is perfect.

I agree better than siri!!!

farleysmaster
Jan 25, 2012, 10:10 AM
Isn't it the same?

gatd
Jan 25, 2012, 10:12 AM
don't know but on a 3gs compared to siri on 4s its spot on for understanding what I say

ppdix
Jan 25, 2012, 10:19 AM
:apple:

Skika
Jan 25, 2012, 12:32 PM
Bought it yesterday, every time i tried it, it failed due to servers being overloaded.

cere
Jan 25, 2012, 03:33 PM
Success rate for me has been about 1 in 30. I had a batch of requests that worked last night, but they weren't always immediate. A couple times I had gone into another app after the failure message and when I returned to Evi it spoke the answer to the last question I asked. Unfortunately one of those questions was "what time is it" and the answer was 20 minutes off. Weather/forecast queries actually almost seemed to worked, at least the returned a specific response of something like "Weather and forecast support is coming soon, try again next week".

They need to get their servers scaled up. The Nuance side, of speech recognition, seems to be working fine. The other end of interpreting and answering seems DOA.

SimonMW
Jan 26, 2012, 04:40 PM
So far Evi has been far faster than Siri at interpreting my voice.

I have had busy messages from Siri as well quite a few times, so Evi isn't alone with this issue. But as others have said Siri is a beta too. Also as others have mentioned Siri has limited usefulness outside the US. Hopefully that will be rectified soon, but I'm not going to hold my breath. Apple have only just introduced HD films on iTunes for the UK!

Pizzaboy13
Jan 28, 2012, 06:26 AM

What do you think?

I surely hope that Siri is brought out of beta when the ipad 3 comes out.

NutsNGum
Jan 28, 2012, 06:45 AM
I've just downloaded it, and frankly I think it's brilliant. It even understands my Glasgow accent, which is a plus.

motoleo
Jan 28, 2012, 04:39 PM
Evi is actually better than Siri I think.

Half of the answers I get back from Siri are...

"I don't know about that."

"I can't answer that."

"I don't know what you mean by."

Evi will be up and running soon. It's been working for me though.

bandofbrothers
Jan 29, 2012, 01:07 AM
Well after downloading the eve app last week and finding every answer to be my servers are down this week it looks like they have been working overtime and fixed this.

Ive asked evi 20 questions and have been given a good answer every time.

I wonder if those early adopters who kicked off and deleted it will now re download this useful app !!

----------

Has anyone worked out how to delete your history on evi !

My questions and answers are starting to add up a tad now !!

Mac.World
Jan 29, 2012, 03:11 AM
I've kept Evi on my phone hoping for the day that it actually works, but having just tried it again, I still get the same 'servers are down' crap.

RichardBeer
Jan 29, 2012, 09:27 AM
Competition, excellent! I am surprised that Apple haven't monopolised the crap out of it, so it's great to see the technology being made available to other devices.

motoleo
Jan 29, 2012, 09:36 AM
Just goes to show how Apple sparks a revolution once again.

dukeblue91
Jan 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
I just downloaded it and it is working great.
To bad it can not integrate with the whole os.

motoleo
Jan 30, 2012, 06:32 PM
[/COLOR]Has anyone worked out how to delete your history on evi !

My questions and answers are starting to add up a tad now !!

Just delete and reinstall.

====

I don't want to just ask them questions, I want to have a conversation.

I asked Evi if she was a spy. I asked her if she was evil, or if she was a celebrity or a prophet.

I asked her if she lies. Or what came first the chicken or the egg.

She gave all great answers. Personable and interesting.

She says she's capable of about 13 intransitive actions. She knows what she looks like, she knows what she can and can't do. She reacts to what you say better than Siri. She's very smart and very nice.

But the funniest of all, I asked her- who lives in a pineapple under the sea.

For me, she's better than Siri. Siri's mean. And stern. And not too bright.

The more life-like they are the better they will be received. I was texting Evi all day today. Most personable AI FTW!

She does have alot to say about Siri though. I like that.

bandofbrothers
Jan 31, 2012, 12:42 AM
I just downloaded it and it is working great.
To bad it can not integrate with the whole os.

Maybe future updates will increase its usefulness.

I've still not worked out in how to delete the history of questions I've asked !!

cere
Jan 31, 2012, 10:12 AM
Maybe future updates will increase its usefulness.

I am hopeful for this, but it will be almost 100% in Apple's control as to how useful any of these other apps can become. Outside of searching or info gathering, there is not much that is useful that they can accomplish on iOS. For any voice system to be really functional, it will need access to OS services. This would be necessary for Evi (or others) to, for instance, launch other apps and services to send mail, create calendar events, add contacts, launch user specified apps like GPS apps and pass in addresses. Apple would have to extend their current public API to allow developers this sort of access, yet do it in a way that does not compromise the sandboxing of apps and the security that provides.

I am not sure how likely the necessary changes from Apple are, but I am hopeful. Otherwise Evi and other can never attain the utility that Siri could have. Maybe that is reason enough for them not to extend the API.

markcres
Jan 31, 2012, 12:10 PM
Just goes to show how Apple sparks a revolution once again.

Speech recognition software has existed since the 90s...this is nothing new...certainly not a 'revolution' or 'awesome' or any other <insert hyperbole comment here> !

----------

Just delete and reinstall.

====

I don't want to just ask them questions, I want to have a conversation.

I asked Evi if she was a spy. I asked her if she was evil, or if she was a celebrity or a prophet.

I asked her if she lies. Or what came first the chicken or the egg.

She gave all great answers. Personable and interesting.

She says she's capable of about 13 intransitive actions. She knows what she looks like, she knows what she can and can't do. She reacts to what you say better than Siri. She's very smart and very nice.

But the funniest of all, I asked her- who lives in a pineapple under the sea.

For me, she's better than Siri. Siri's mean. And stern. And not too bright.

The more life-like they are the better they will be received. I was texting Evi all day today. Most personable AI FTW!

She does have alot to say about Siri though. I like that.

Dude...get a girlfriend...seriously !

farleysmaster
Jan 31, 2012, 01:16 PM
Speech recognition software has existed since the 90s...this is nothing new...certainly not a 'revolution' or 'awesome' or any other !

It's not the speech recognition... It's the language comprehension.

(admittedly it was Siri that was revolutionary, not Apple)

iansilv
Feb 3, 2012, 12:37 PM
I asked it the distance from Los Angeles to Seattle. I just spoke the words, "What is the distance from Los Angeles to Seattle." I spoke clearly, I do not have an accent, and this awesome screen is what I got:

kicko
Feb 3, 2012, 01:15 PM
I asked it the distance from Los Angeles to Seattle. I just spoke the words, "What is the distance from Los Angeles to Seattle." I spoke clearly, I do not have an accent, and this awesome screen is what I got:

to be fair look at the question "whats the difference between whats the distance from LA to seattle" of course its a odd answer, the question doesnt even make sense. MAybe it misfired in speech detection but i have had pretty good luck.

iansilv
Feb 3, 2012, 01:19 PM
to be fair look at the question "whats the difference between whats the distance from LA to seattle" of course its a odd answer, the question doesnt even make sense. MAybe it misfired in speech detection but i have had pretty good luck.

That's my point- I never said the words "between," "difference," etc. I just spoke the words I quoted.

bandofbrothers
Feb 3, 2012, 01:44 PM
I'm from the uk.

I asked your question and it heard my words and gave me

1550 kilometres or 960 miles.

Works for me !

Have you tried Siri yet. Even she gets the question asked wrong or does not understand.

kicko
Feb 3, 2012, 01:45 PM
That's my point- I never said the words "between," "difference," etc. I just spoke the words I quoted.

I have used it and not have anything like that happen. Try it over and over with the same question, or others on here can try the same question and see their results. I think it was just a glitch

iansilv
Feb 3, 2012, 01:50 PM
I have used it and not have anything like that happen. Try it over and over with the same question, or others on here can try the same question and see their results. I think it was just a glitch

Yeah it was a glitch- I tried it again and it worked. It was just funny because it was the first search I tried after I downloaded it, and I was like- WNBA? Really? :D

PNutts
Feb 26, 2012, 12:19 AM
Evi often still does not respond. At least the non-responses are getting more clever.

reefoid
Feb 26, 2012, 01:36 PM
Apparently Apple are pulling Evi from the app store (http://techcrunch.com/2012/02/26/apple-prepares-to-pull-evi-from-app-store-did-it-slap-down-siri/) under rule 8.3 of the app store t&c's:

Apps which appear confusingly similar to an existing Apple product or advertising theme will be rejected

Pretty poor if you ask me, another case of Apple removing potentially better options and alternatives for users.

r.j.s
Feb 26, 2012, 01:58 PM
Pretty poor if you ask me, another case of Apple removing potentially better options and alternatives for users.

Reading this thread, Evi has A LONG way to go in order to be a potential alternative to Siri.

reefoid
Feb 26, 2012, 02:18 PM
Reading this thread, Evi has A LONG way to go in order to be a potential alternative to Siri.

For me, I have found Evi is actually better at returning relevant answers, although I accept there are issues that need addressing (that's why I said potentially better:))

LiesForTheLiars
Feb 26, 2012, 02:19 PM
Ask Siri, "Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?"

motoleo
Feb 26, 2012, 03:10 PM
If I had to say who is more helpful it would be...

Evi

For the purposes of what it does..Evi is actually tries to answer your questions, even if she's wrong, but usually, she's never wrong. That's the whole point of talking to it.

Siri, is more redundant, I could do these things myself in less time, with less bandwidth used. And I don't understand why would I want to be directed to Google?

markd107
Feb 28, 2012, 09:32 AM
While I agree I wouldn't ask these specific trivia questions, it demonstrates her ability to do more than just perform a google search for you.

Trivia lookup: Siri < Evi
Personal assistant: Siri > Evi

Although I should mention Siri is a terrible personal assistant. Her ability to interpret locations when I'm trying to set up a calendar appointment is... Nonexistent.

Her ability to create new contacts is... Well, also nonexistent. Both of these are tap and time intensive tasks that would be much easier to do with your voice on the phone.

I'm sure you noticed that Siri is in Beta. Considering this what Siri does is really helpful. I have rather large fingers and have always had a hard time with text messages. Many times I type an M and delete the previous letter. PITA! With Siri I talk and she types. I am having trouble with multi-line text messages, but again, BETA.

Evi really isn't like Siri at all, other than the fact they sound the same and you can speak to "them". I find Siri much more useful. Evi is also limited to the UK for useful info like train schedules.

----------

If I had to say who is more helpful it would be...

Evi

For the purposes of what it does..Evi is actually tries to answer your questions, even if she's wrong, but usually, she's never wrong. That's the whole point of talking to it.

Siri, is more redundant, I could do these things myself in less time, with less bandwidth used. And I don't understand why would I want to be directed to Google?

That's your opinion. I don't agree at all. And you can type quicker than you can talk? I would really like to see that!

ArtOfWarfare
Feb 28, 2012, 12:22 PM
I'm sure you noticed that Siri is in Beta. Considering this what Siri does is really helpful. I have rather large fingers and have always had a hard time with text messages. Many times I type an M and delete the previous letter. PITA! With Siri I talk and she types. I am having trouble with multi-line text messages, but again, BETA.

See, and I'd be fine with that were it not for the fact that Siri is basically the only thing that Apple advertises for the iPhone 4S. I basically paid $400 to get a BETA, INCOMPLETE product. This sounds like a very Microsofty strategy, to iron out bugs after having collected money (which of course, severely reduces the incentive to actually iron out the bugs.)

polak9pete
Mar 5, 2012, 12:23 PM
not sure if it was mentioned already but i asked Evi how to delete past question history and she said its not available yet but its a popular request and will be added soon