PDA

View Full Version : Uniform Processor Architecture

deanbo
Jun 9, 2005, 01:34 AM
I really wish Intel, IBM, and AMD would come up with a new uniform architecture and stick with it. Kind of like AMD and it's 939 PGA.

Instead of my architecture is better than yours it would be my processor is better than yours.

All processors would be cross compatible, (all the same architecture), so it all comes down to the best design.

Could open source hardware lead the way to something like this?

cube
Jun 9, 2005, 05:55 AM
There's already an open architecture. It's called SPARC. Anyone can pick the specifications for free or become a member of its governing body.

http://www.sparc.org/

superbovine
Jun 9, 2005, 12:17 PM
I really wish Intel, IBM, and AMD would come up with a new uniform architecture and stick with it. Kind of like AMD and it's 939 PGA.

Instead of my architecture is better than yours it would be my processor is better than yours.

All processors would be cross compatible, (all the same architecture), so it all comes down to the best design.

Could open source hardware lead the way to something like this?

in a free market competetion lowers price. also, different chips are better suited for different application. there are many more processors out their beside IBM,Intel, and AMD for variety of application because each needs a specifically designed processor that fits the specs, cost, etc of the project.