Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 6, 2003
I really wish Intel, IBM, and AMD would come up with a new uniform architecture and stick with it. Kind of like AMD and it's 939 PGA.

Instead of my architecture is better than yours it would be my processor is better than yours.

All processors would be cross compatible, (all the same architecture), so it all comes down to the best design.

Could open source hardware lead the way to something like this?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
deanbo said:
I really wish Intel, IBM, and AMD would come up with a new uniform architecture and stick with it. Kind of like AMD and it's 939 PGA.

Instead of my architecture is better than yours it would be my processor is better than yours.

All processors would be cross compatible, (all the same architecture), so it all comes down to the best design.

Could open source hardware lead the way to something like this?

in a free market competetion lowers price. also, different chips are better suited for different application. there are many more processors out their beside IBM,Intel, and AMD for variety of application because each needs a specifically designed processor that fits the specs, cost, etc of the project.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.