PDA

View Full Version : Dexim Visible Green iPhone Cable Makes Charging More Visible

MacRumors
Jan 31, 2012, 01:50 PM
http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/31/dexim-visible-green-iphone-cable-makes-charging-more-visible/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article-new/2012/01/visigreen.jpg

While most USB-charged Apple products like the iPhone and iPad come with a USB charging cable in the box, there is a thriving third-party market for these easily lost accessories. Dexim's $20 Visible Green USB-Dock Connector cables (http://dexim.net/us/products/Visible-Green.html) have a distinctive twist: they use electroluminescence to "visibly show the electrical current flowing through the cable". Completing the illusion is the fact that there are multiple speeds that the current can "flow", adjusting with the battery life of the device it's charging.

LHfXKYVQFjI
While perhaps not the most practical (http://gizmodo.com/5880893/resistance-is-futile-you-will-buy-this-animated-light-iphoneipad-charger-too) iPhone charger, particularly for bedside nighttime charging, the Visible Green cable is certainly the coolest.

Dexim's Visible Green cables are available via a number of retailers (http://dexim.net/us/wheretobuy.html), including Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dmobile&field-keywords=dexim+visible+green&x=0&y=0) and others (https://www.google.com/search?q=Dexim+Visible+Green&hl=en&tbm=shop&aq=f).

Article Link: Dexim Visible Green iPhone Cable Makes Charging More Visible (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/31/dexim-visible-green-iphone-cable-makes-charging-more-visible/)

Mattsasa
Jan 31, 2012, 02:01 PM
wow the child in me is freaking out!!!! MUST BUY!!! I NEED that!!!

ImperialForces
Jan 31, 2012, 02:12 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's blue.

Shrink
Jan 31, 2012, 02:13 PM
As a calm, mature, adult, silly things like that little cable make me glad that I am a calm, mature adult. No calm, mature adult would ever have anything to do with a silly little cable like that.

Ne siree, not us mature adults.

Nope, not us adults.

(Now, how fast can this calm, mature adult click on my Amazon bookmark! :o :p)

Edit: Went to Amazon and read the reviews. According to one reviewer the cable is only 2 feet long. (The one that comes with your iPhone is 3' 4") No good for my purposes. And anyway, we mature adults don't use stuff like that. DAMN!

GenesisST
Jan 31, 2012, 02:30 PM
That would be perfect as a charger for dudes with pimped Civics and tiny gonads...

Popeye206
Jan 31, 2012, 02:31 PM
Must have one! Also... loving the USB Wall Plugs.... hummm.... might have to add one of those to the house too. Never seen one before! Love it!

rcappo
Jan 31, 2012, 02:37 PM
That is pretty cool.

andiwm2003
Jan 31, 2012, 02:45 PM
That would be perfect as a charger for dudes with pimped Civics and tiny gonads...

ugh..i just wanted to order one for my car.

well, at least I don't have a pimped civic. I have a Diesel Jetta Stationwagon in brown:o

Shrink
Jan 31, 2012, 02:47 PM

I have a left hydrocele. Believe me, one of my gonads is wwaayy larger than yours.

Of course, after the surgery to correct the condition - you will probably be right.:o :p

Skika
Jan 31, 2012, 03:01 PM
I would like to call it gimmicky and a cheap trick...however...

I want it!!!!! So cool!!!!!!

jclardy
Jan 31, 2012, 03:05 PM
Looks cool, I used to have a blue LED printer cable when I was in my college dorm, but it was quite annoying at night. With this one moving and all that would be even more annoying.

But still looks cool other than that :D

jonnysods
Jan 31, 2012, 03:33 PM
I always knew electricity was blue.

ovrlrd
Jan 31, 2012, 03:42 PM
The fact that there is absolutely zero mention of cable length should tell you something about the target audience here. Form over function

Anonymous Freak
Jan 31, 2012, 05:09 PM
And in what is probably an industry first, the iPhone version costs 1/3 the non-iPhone version!

On Amazon, the USB-to-Dock-Connector version of this is $15-$20. The USB-to-mini-USB (for every other cell phone on the planet,) is $60!!

reedlight
Jan 31, 2012, 05:14 PM
Because of the fact I buy crap like this, I have no option but to drive worn out chevy malibu. With that said, this would be awesome in my worn out chevy malibu.

baryon
Jan 31, 2012, 05:14 PM
Wow, this is pretty cool :D
I don't mind that it's not long, I charge my iPod right next to my MacBook Pro.
It would be cool if the lights were a bit more subtle (less bright) because it's a bit like a christmas tree, and maybe a white color would be better for Apple stuff than blue, but it's still really cool, for fun :)

SeanMcg
Jan 31, 2012, 06:29 PM
Must have one! Also... loving the USB Wall Plugs.... hummm.... might have to add one of those to the house too. Never seen one before! Love it!

Amazon has several different ones for the US, including this one (http://www.amazon.com/NewerTech-Power2U-LISTED-Outlet-2xUSB/dp/B0065I114K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1328055510&sr=8-4) from NewerTech. It is UL Listed. Might get one or more myself now. Not sure about the cable :)

powers74
Jan 31, 2012, 07:44 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ok. That's pretty kickass. Too bad the wife has to have pitch blackness to sleep. Might have t get one for work.

Lostanddamned
Jan 31, 2012, 08:01 PM
To me, the flow is backwards, flowing from the device to the wall.

nagromme
Jan 31, 2012, 08:52 PM
This is a really stupid idea.

I want one!

Not enough to buy it, but feel free to give me one :)

(I would buy a dock extender cable with a nice strong pivoting head, for charging during tilt-games while connected to the DVI adapter... good luck finding that!)

ranReloaded
Jan 31, 2012, 08:53 PM
Someone has watched too many Buck Rogers episodes!

SuperCachetes
Jan 31, 2012, 09:11 PM
I wouldn't want that to be my only cable, but when the rare need for pimpness presented itself... :D

Pretty neat.

milliepuppy
Jan 31, 2012, 09:19 PM
To me, the flow is backwards, flowing from the device to the wall.

I think its cause its in australia if the wall sockets anything to go by ... everythings backwards down there ... everything !! :)

Rampant.A.I.
Jan 31, 2012, 09:34 PM
the fact that there is absolutely zero mention of cable length should tell you something about the target audience here. Form over function

you don't say? From whence do you draw these keen insights?

----------

It's blue.

I'm assuming it's GreenSmart as in "eco friendly," like eco-switches and the laptop chargers that shut off and let your battery drain when it's fully charged. *shudder.*

Not saying these do... But way more excited about glowing things I don't need that are blue.

D.T.
Jan 31, 2012, 10:01 PM
Silly. Ordering one ASAP :D

Doh! The black/blue is backordered through Amazon.

FYI about the USB outlets, the ones I've seen don't appear to have any surge suppression, so we use one of the small surge/outlet/USB port type products (like from Belkin). Figured _some_ protection is better than none[?]

ArcaneDevice
Jan 31, 2012, 11:51 PM
Dumb.

But fun.

Would be better if it turned solid green when it was finished charging. That way you could see the charging state from across the room.

designgeek
Jan 31, 2012, 11:52 PM
Add this to the list of things with no real utility that I absolutely must have. :D:cool:

Macman45
Jan 31, 2012, 11:55 PM
As a calm, mature, adult, silly things like that little cable make me glad that I am a calm, mature adult. No calm, mature adult would ever have anything to do with a silly little cable like that.

Ne siree, not us mature adults.

Nope, not us adults.

(Now, how fast can this calm, mature adult click on my Amazon bookmark! :o :p)

Edit: Went to Amazon and read the reviews. According to one reviewer the cable is only 2 feet long. (The one that comes with your iPhone is 3' 4") No good for my purposes. And anyway, we mature adults don't use stuff like that. DAMN!

LOL.....Me too, that is just one of those things that the infant in me has to have....Do I need it? Nope, but I'm darn well having a couple! :D

flynndean
Feb 1, 2012, 12:11 AM

Dammit! The curse of $1 = 1 strikes again!

I'm not paying nearly $30/20 for a 2ft cable...even if it does light-up like a Christmas Tree! *secretly adds item to Amazon Basket*

alexhasfun28
Feb 1, 2012, 12:21 AM
Funny, the iToys don't indicate that they're being charged after they plug in the "charging" cord.

Macman45
Feb 1, 2012, 12:22 AM

I'm not paying nearly $30/20 for a 2ft cable...even if it does light-up like a Christmas Tree! *secretly adds item to Amazon Basket*

Yep...Gets me too!:D

justperry
Feb 1, 2012, 06:27 AM
Children:rolleyes:

Wait a few weeks and this will be available for a tenth of the price on DX or Dino.

keroro
Feb 1, 2012, 07:41 AM
This is a really stupid idea.

I want one!

Not enough to buy it, but feel free to give me one :)

(I would buy a dock extender cable with a nice strong pivoting head, for charging during tilt-games while connected to the DVI adapter... good luck finding that!)

that was cool. :eek:

lars666
Feb 1, 2012, 08:24 AM

It's blue.

If this was meant as a Rambo 3 reference, kudos to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEz70ClCetM

johncrab
Feb 1, 2012, 08:38 AM
The kid in me still loves stuff that lights up!:D

Qfic
Feb 1, 2012, 09:11 AM
The green glow one is on sale for $15 at Best Buy

SkippyThorson
Feb 1, 2012, 11:41 AM
From 0:36 to 0:43 in the video, why is the current from the iPad's cord going towards the wall? In the rest of the video, the flow is towards the devices taking the charge. :confused:

Either way, these are silly, juvenile, unnecessary, and a waste of money. Therefore, I want one! Interesting concept.

(My first thought was what how could I daisy-chain them together to make a giant strip of Neon around my computer room? My next thought was how I would like to leave it plugged in to to my iMac G4 and tuck it in between the lip of the base and the desk for a UFO effect. The possibilities are endless!)

OddyOh
Feb 1, 2012, 12:04 PM
Maybe if you're charging them under the Christmas tree...otherwise, too gaudy. :o

Lesser Evets
Feb 1, 2012, 03:02 PM
Looks like Miami Vice. 1985 was a long time ago.

TheOrioles33
Feb 1, 2012, 03:27 PM
Just picked up the purple and green one for $26! used my $10 in rewards certificates. One for the truck and one for the desk. :D

Thanks JohnCrab!

jakebrosy
Feb 1, 2012, 03:51 PM
I was totally psyched :D and headed off to buy them but they are only 80cm. And I'm already unhappy :mad: with the short cord that came with the iPhones/iPods/iPads.

Crap! Come on Dexim, give us 120cm or more.

Gav2k
Feb 1, 2012, 03:56 PM

Waiting for people to get these and start moaning about slower charge times lol

JodyK
Feb 1, 2012, 07:05 PM

I just picked up 2 of these in blue from a local Best Buy ($19.99 plus tax). They are ultra cool! 31.5 inches long Is the length or 2 foot 7 & 1/2 inches. Someone previously called them 2 foot long.

I am very happy so far with them.

Dr McKay
Feb 1, 2012, 08:38 PM
http://bestsellingcarsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Stewie-Griffin-BSCB-January-2012b.gif

I want it!!

Frenchjay
Feb 2, 2012, 01:31 AM

10.49 here delivered. This is a legit shop as well. If you click on the eBay tab on their page they have over 74,000 sales so I would say its safe to order from them.

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=112180&r=GOOG

Adidas Addict
Feb 2, 2012, 05:48 AM
10.49 here delivered. This is a legit shop as well. If you click on the eBay tab on their page they have over 74,000 sales so I would say its safe to order from them.

Yup 7dayshop have been reliable for a lot of years, used them loads of times.

flynndean
Feb 2, 2012, 07:18 AM

Thanks for the tip. I ordered x2 and they're on Backorder now (I'm guessing some people from these forums snapped the last ones up!).

I hope there's not too long a lead time. (pun intended) ;)

Frenchjay
Feb 2, 2012, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the tip. I ordered x2 and they're on Backorder now (I'm guessing some people from these forums snapped the last ones up!).

I hope there's not too long a lead time. (pun intended) ;)

Lol! So they have none left? I've not ordered mine yet from them haha :p

It appears the EBay Listing has ended too! Searching on Google they are the cheapest reputable supplier.

Boatboy24
Feb 2, 2012, 08:23 AM
Neat trick, but I'll stick with my $4 cable from Monoprice.

whooleytoo
Feb 2, 2012, 09:45 AM
I always knew electricity was blue.

Interesting! Next up: What does electricity taste like?

The fact that there is absolutely zero mention of cable length should tell you something about the target audience here. Form over function

Well, they are selling to we Apple users. It sounds like they know their demographic! :)

centauratlas
Feb 2, 2012, 10:57 AM
I just thought everything was upside down (thats how it looks on the globe). But backwards too? Wow.
:D

I think its cause its in australia if the wall sockets anything to go by ... everythings backwards down there ... everything !! :)

PracticalMac
Feb 2, 2012, 11:52 AM
Looks Uber Cool, but its simple physics that powering those lights takes power.

Meaning longer to charge up what ever is hooked up.

Frenchjay
Feb 2, 2012, 12:42 PM
Looks Uber Cool, but its simple physics that powering those lights takes power.

Meaning longer to charge up what ever is hooked up.

EL Light technology uses very little power.

musser
Feb 2, 2012, 01:18 PM
This looks great. But, seemingly impossible to buy in the USA. I've tried.

Legios
Feb 2, 2012, 02:06 PM
This looks great. But, seemingly impossible to buy in the USA. I've tried.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-8884129436912593194&id=pcat17071&type=page&st=dexim&sc=Global&cp=1&nrp=15&sp=&qp=&list=n&iht=y&usc=All+Categories&ks=960

Walked in, choose my color, paid, walked out. Couldnt have been easier in the USA.

PracticalMac
Feb 2, 2012, 02:44 PM
EL Light technology uses very little power.

But one thing I notice is NO info by the mfg on how much power it does use.

and this:
Rapid Charging
Saves time by providing a full charge quickly and efficiently.

Charge time is based on power available, not electronics and EL illumination cable.

TWO2SEVEN
Feb 2, 2012, 07:36 PM
I stopped by Best Buy and picked one of these up. My location (Plano, TX) had the black/purple and white/blue. I picked up the white and blue. The cable was $20.99 (kind of an odd price) while the Dynex (Best Buy generic) was $19.99.

The cable works just as described. The "current" flows from the power source toward the iDevice. I tried it with both my iPad and iPhone 4, both were at different levels of charge. The speed of the lights does change with charge level. The lower the battery level, the faster the chase. When plugging your device in or unplugging it, it will take the lights a few minutes to react.

In the picture the cable looked to be a round, clear casing with the lights in the middle. The cable is actually flat, similar to speaker wire. The surface of the cable is split into thirds. White (or black) on the sides with the lights in the middle. The plug ends match the wire color, white or black.

One thing to note, the cable is just slightly shorter than the Apple cable.

http://img.tapatalk.com/4715c353-39e0-ccf4.jpg

To sum it up, since its the same price as other third party cables, it seems to be a good buy. If you happen to like cool gadgets, and since you are here you probably do, it's worth picking up. It's always nice to have an extra cable around. I will most likely take this one to work so I can enjoy it all day haha.

http://img.tapatalk.com/4715c353-3a04-ce16.jpg

DESNOS
Feb 3, 2012, 01:05 AM
If this was meant as a Rambo 3 reference, kudos to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEz70ClCetM

It's probably a reference to the fact that it's blue, not green.

jacob11
Feb 3, 2012, 03:43 AM
Looking awesome. Cananyone inform me Where i can get that?

Frenchjay
Feb 3, 2012, 04:23 AM
Looking awesome. Cananyone inform me Where i can get that?

Where are you from? UK, US or elsewhere?

Patchwork
Feb 3, 2012, 02:29 PM
Well I have one but after less than a day it has stopped glowing. While I may have been just unlucky to get a faulty one, it does make me wonder what the quality is like, especially as the USB lead doesn't fit properly in the charger. Time for a refund and back to the standard Apple charger. :(

eonaeon
Feb 26, 2012, 02:30 AM
Has anyone else had issues with these stopped glowing?

A friend of mine picked me a couple from Best Buy in the US on his recent trip there (a week or so ago). The one he started using has stopped glowing already, and the first one I opened, stopped working about 10 mins after using it.

My phone was not fully charged (only at about 47%), and it still seemed to be charging, just no EL light.

Some things I did observe were: I was using the iPad Power Brick (10w) as the power source, and when it stopped working the USB connector on the Dexim cable was *very* hot. After plugging it back into a regular PC USB power socket, the EL light started working again.

I do notice that my iPhone 4 does get quite hot she charging from the iPad Power Brick, so this might be an extension of this, and the Dexim cable can't handle it.

Note: I am in Australia, so I wonder if the 240v power source rather than the 110v ones you guys have in the US would make a difference as well?

JAT
Feb 26, 2012, 08:34 PM
The wallwart should take care of the voltage, check the specs. But the iPad charger puts out 2.1 amps instead of the .5-1a that this cable is probably expecting. Could be related.

eonaeon
Feb 27, 2012, 06:45 PM
Yeah I wonder if it's an overheating thing actually - when the EL stops illuminating, the USB end is very hot... took about 17 mins this morning for it to stop flowing, and the iPad was only at about 70% charge. Plugged it back into the charger and it stopped again after a few mins. Plugged it into my PC, and it works fine again (though not charging much at all, as it doesn't have enough power :p)