Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stella

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...ry_leading_tech_support_declines_in_2011.html

Extract:
According to a study published on Thursday, Apple's phone-based tech support remains the best in the industry, but complaints regarding wait times and call automation have led to a decline in customer satisfaction.

The findings, based on data from an ongoing study conducted by Vocalabs, shows that the quality of Apple's phone support has declined significantly over the past year and a half, and is slowly sinking to reported levels of its competitors....

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I wonder what % of people even use phone support for Apple. I never made a call in 5 years. I have been to the Apple store 4-5 times.

My guess is that Apple has been too cheap to adequately beef up its phone support staff to match its sales.

Stella

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I wonder what % of people even use phone support for Apple. I never made a call in 5 years. I have been to the Apple store 4-5 times.

My guess is that Apple has been too cheap to adequately beef up its phone support staff to match its sales.

You need to remember that not everyone lives in the same city as an AppleStore, or within a couple hours drive. Phoning Apple is the most convenient way.

A 19% satisfaction drop, and a 17 point drop in problems solved over the phone in just 18 months is quite surprising for a company where customer experience is a high priority. Maybe Apple couldn't hire support staff quick enough?

Last edited:

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
a 17 point drop in problems solved over the phone in just 18 months is quite surprising for a company where customer experience is a high priority. Maybe Apple couldn't hire support staff quick enough?

It's more indicative of poor software quality. Even if there was no increase in staff, the staff should be able to solve the problems as efficiently. If they can't, there's something else going on.

Stella

macrumors G3
Original poster
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Nor is there any reason to believe it will trend upward

Yes, no evidence yet of Apple sorting out its support issue, yet.

The only trend is downwards that started H1 2010.

It's more indicative of poor software quality. Even if there was no increase in staff, the staff should be able to solve the problems as efficiently. If they can't, there's something else going on.

Yes, a decrease in software quality is certainly a good reason... but also is less knowledgable staff? I'd be interested in the call volume for the duration of the 18 months. Increased or decreased? Are Apple putting less effort into phone support believing that people will go to Apple Stores?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
As you get a high customer base, the harder it becomes to please everyone. Especially when you appear to be missing silly bugs and faults like Antenna problems and iMessage bugs. It appears the days of when Apple would release a solid, bug free product are long gone.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
As someone new to computers (got my FIRST computer about 1 1/2 years ago), I used Apple tech support EXTENSIVELY. When I first got the computer, I could be on the phone with them 10 times a day.

Usually, when I call now, the wait is 5 minutes or less. I have found a slight increase in the occasions when the wait time exceeds 10 minutes. But compared to other tech support services (e.g. Verizon tech support), that wait time is instantaneous.

Waiting a few minutes is not a burden because I know when I get through they will ALWAYS correct my problem or provide other information I need. If the first line tech can't do the job, a simple request for a Senior Tech always results in a good natured, and immediate connection. Those folks get it done with alacrity.

I can't see complaining about a relatively short wait when the actual service is so good. But, I suppose, if you are used to 5 minute wait - 10 minutes seems like a decline in service.

Perhaps I am just a sheep - not demanding enough of more immediate service, and too willing to accept less than the best.:eek:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Both times I called AppleCare in 2011, I started with their online Express Lane service, which I really liked for routing my call vs. navigating phone menus and speaking serial numbers over the phone to automated machines. One time an agent was available to immediately call me, the other time I scheduled a call-back time. It was pretty cool.

With their limited number of products (compared to Dell/HP/Sony/etc) and it being they who write the OS/drivers, I always thought they had an advantage when it comes to support. To me, it's not good to see them start to lose ground in that area!

I hope Apple can fix the basics (and trend upwards again) while continuing to add new things, like Express Lane.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its a bit unsettling to see the number fall so much.

People buy apple products for a number of reasons, one of which is great support. All the people I know that own one tout that as a reason (not the only reason to by Macs but a reason nonetheless). It does not bode well if they start having support problems.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
As if there ever were such days.

People are quick to forget that Apple is not and never was perfect.

2000-2005 I think Apple were at their best. If their products had faults, they weren't the stupidly obvious ones you have nowadays.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
2000-2005 I think Apple were at their best. If their products had faults, they weren't the stupidly obvious ones you have nowadays.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_X_v10.0#Criticisms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Mac_G4_Cube

Your selective memory is astounding. That's 2 quick things that popped in my head.

Apple never has been perfect. They aren't any better or worse than they were. This article is about how they respond to consumers, not the overall quality of their products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.